Devices > PC's and Other Hardware

Dedicated Mini/Micro PC

<< < (2/6) > >>

Awesome Donkey:
Can vouch for them, I personally use a N305 and love it. If you're just listening to music a N100 would be perfect.

eve:

--- Quote from: Awesome Donkey on June 10, 2024, 10:44:16 am ---Can vouch for them, I personally use a N305 and love it. If you're just listening to music a N100 would be perfect.

--- End quote ---

Yep spot on. N100 (or even N5105s) for music, going to the N305 for video is probably worthwhile. Above that, like if you want some serious video perf, it does make sense to look at MinisForum's offerings since while sometimes a bit more expensive, they're pretty solid.

eve:

--- Quote from: BryanC on June 10, 2024, 10:33:36 am ---There are plenty of fanless N100/i3-N305 equivalents out there, they look like routers so you may overlook them at first, but they make great low powered machines. I would recommend installing your own ram and m.2 since the manufacturers tend to skimp for margins on those components.

--- End quote ---

They sip power, they're fanless and if you for whatever reason want 'clean power', you can easily run one off a linear PSU. Not to mention, some of the Router ones come with SFP so you *could* go all optical if you're in 'audiophile niche' territory and that concerns you.

I get rid of the Wifi on mine where possible. Haven't started using SFP on them though, unshielded cat6 is fine (and I do all my audio transport over ip)

Shasta Mike:

--- Quote from: eve on June 10, 2024, 02:58:39 pm ---Yep spot on. N100 (or even N5105s) for music, going to the N305 for video is probably worthwhile. Above that, like if you want some serious video perf, it does make sense to look at MinisForum's offerings since while sometimes a bit more expensive, they're pretty solid.

--- End quote ---

thanks to everyone for the recs.  I looked on Amazon at various N95 and N100 and got a little freaked about some comments about some (kamrui) coming loaded with Trojans or worms that opened up networks.  Paying a bit more for a trusted brand is worth it to me. 

This one on the mnisforum is probably overkill but looked fine to me.  Of course when trying to buy then I see it is sold out.  haha   https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-nab6?variant=45202167267573

This one is available and is probably more appropriate based on everyone's consensus recommendations >>> https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-un100l-1?variant=44341568700661

WinoOutWest:
Another option is a used top-of-line micro (Dell, HP, Lenovo).  Most of these sold (in qty) on eBay are corporate off-lease units that are refurbished.  I have been selling these to my clients for about 5-6 years now (for those that need a solid, reliable office or home PC and don't need the latest and greatest) and never had a single issue with the 25 or so I have purchased.  Some suppliers will offer a full-year warranty and there are a variety of processor/memory options.  Parts and support are readily available as well as there are a ton of these things out there.  Just pick a reputable seller - all the ones I've purchased would be tough to tell from new.
It is also what has served as my JRiver HTPC that mainly drives my music.
Here's one example:
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/176357981588

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version