INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notes tag problem  (Read 179 times)

BorderCollie

Notes tag problem
« on: June 25, 2024, 05:02:29 pm »

JRiver Media Center ("MC") populates an album's Notes tag/field with a meaningless term ("Term"). A Term is of the form "x[Varies]," "x," "xx," "xxx," or "xxxx" (without the double quotes), where x is a variable that represents a lower case letter (or digit if the Term contains only one character). Examples are a[Varies], 9, d, qq, ttt, ffff, where x = a, 9, d, q, t, or f, respectively. Initially, each Term was of the first form. Recently, that form rarely appears, making searching for Terms impractical and inefficient.

I first discovered the problem by accident while displaying the tracks in Files view (with the Notes field displayed). A quick scan of all tracks will reveal any Terms because they are brief and of a limited number of forms (based on my experience). Another user may discover that Terms take other forms.

The population is apparently at the album level, i.e., an album’s Notes field is populated with a Term, causing the Notes field of every track of the album to be populated with the Term. The population is intermittent and there appears to be no pattern to the albums affected. It is unknown whether the problem occurs only if the Notes fields of tracks are populated or edited.

While the problem was discovered in v32 and is assumed to have arisen in v32, the problem may have occurred in prior versions I used, but remained unnoticed, or prior versions I did not use and been carried over to v32.

The problem could be potentially costly if valuable data are overwritten. Some of my tracks' Notes fields contain text thousands of characters in length (the maximum number is at least 15,000). The data represent many hours of research and composition of text. I estimate that, since I began populating tracks' Notes fields, I have populated about 10–15% of the approximately 8,000 tracks in my library and spent over 1,000 hours to gather, compile, and organize the data and enter them into MC. The loss will increase by orders of magnitude if, as is my goal, I populate the Notes field of every track in the library and of future tracks as the library continues to expand.

Until the problem is fixed, I have adopted two remedial measures to prevent data loss. These measures are time-consuming and one of them (the first one discussed below) must be diligently applied after each MC session (whether to listen to music or edit the Notes field or other fields of a track) out of an abundance of caution in case the problem occurs even if the Notes field of no track is populated or edited.

In brief, one measure is to use a file/folder comparison program to compare the files in a music library (Source) with the files in a backup (Target) using the "backup" execution method (which causes Target to mirror Source). Tracks/files may be updated in Source because their album's Notes fields have been populated with Terms or because the user may have populated or edited a track's or album's field. The program's comparison window helps identify the updated files and suspect files can be examined in MC before deleting them (and replacing them with unaffected backup copies) or backing them up.

A second measure is to use a text editor such as Microsoft Word to compose and save text before copying it to a track's Notes field. Word provides a means of saving the data in a track's Notes field that is independent of the track's file (in case it is corrupted and unreadable or its Notes field is populated with a Term) and independent of using a program such as MC to access the data in the field. Having both (1) the raw, unformatted data in the Notes field and embedded in a track's file and (2) the formatted data in Word for better readability and in a file independent of a track's file provides peace of mind.

A full discussion of the problem and these measures is contained in the attached memorandum for the use of MC's management and developers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bug in v32: population of Notes tag with meaningless data
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 12:22:00 am »

The [Varies] would be seen if you had selected more than one track.  It means that the tags aren't the same for the set you have selected.

Do you see it if you only select one?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 02:03:59 am »

JimH - If you read the section "Use of Word for Composing and Saving Field Data Entered in MC", it starts on page 4,  in the PDF file attached to his OP you will spot that he is adding  MS Word Formatted Text to the Notes field/tag; something that no Media Player or Metadata Editor can handle. The Formatted Information/Data he is adding should be in a PDF file and not in a field/tag that is set up to only accept Unformatted Text.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 02:33:02 am »

Thanks, ET.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 03:40:56 am »

JimH - If you read the section "Use of Word for Composing and Saving Field Data Entered in MC", it starts on page 4,  in the PDF file attached to his OP you will spot that he is adding  MS Word Formatted Text to the Notes field/tag; something that no Media Player or Metadata Editor can handle. The Formatted Information/Data he is adding should be in a PDF file and not in a field/tag that is set up to only accept Unformatted Text.

That's not what he says. After the issue started occurring he started keeping the notes in a Word document instead of MC. Word is not the source of the problem.

@BorderCollie, your formal verbiage is not really helping your case. You tend to get best results in this forum if you make your problem description as concise as possible. One screenshot is worth 3916 words, one might say.

Can you check if you entered an Expression in Tools->Options->Library&Folders->After Playback Expression ?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: Notes tag problem
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 05:03:12 am »

I think I know the meaning of the a/d/qq/ttt/ffff terms. They're date codes used by a Javascript library called Luxon:
"Luxon is a library for working with dates and times in JavaScript."
https://github.com/moment/luxon/blob/master/docs/formatting.md#table-of-tokens

a      meridiem                                               -> AM
d      day of the month, no padding                           -> 6
qq     quarter, padded to 2                                   -> 03
ttt    localized time with seconds and abbreviated offset     -> 1:07:04 PM EDT
ffff   extra verbose localized date and time                  -> Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 1:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

It seems the Notes is getting filled with the codes instead of the actual timestamps.

It's unlikely that these are produced by MC itself (except the "[varies]"). If you use some other Tagging tool (or even a player), it's possible it is adding this info to the track's ID3 tag block and then MC is just reading the tags back when it detects changes in the files.
Do you use an Album scraper tool or script to get album info from some website or service? Or are you a developer (and not a patent lawyer) and are using this library yourself?

@MC devs:
1. does MC use Luxon or some derivative? Is it possible that your scraper API is returning this?
2. Which tags are read into the "Notes" field?

Pages: [1]   Go Up