INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Media Type based rules for Rename/Move/Copy Files  (Read 803 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] Media Type based rules for Rename/Move/Copy Files
« on: July 05, 2024, 05:14:03 pm »

I have different naming patterns for video vs tv vs music so have to manual switch between them as necessary, I guess this is not uncommon (but obviously could be wrong). It would be nice to be able to let MC handle that based on the media type of the item rather than having to do this manually per dropdown.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [REQ] Media Type based rules for Rename/Move/Copy Files
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 05:23:08 pm »

Seems like a good idea.  Thanks.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 05:39:49 pm »

Don't know if i didn't understand something but why not just create one expression which handles all your media types or other rules you want to fulfill and save it as preset?

something like this for dirs for example
Code: [Select]
IfElse(
    IsEqual([Media Sub Type], Audiobook),
        [Media Sub Type]\[Artist]\[Album],
    IsEqual([Media Sub Type], TV Show),
        [Media Sub Type]\[Series]\Season Padnumber([Season],2),
    IsEqual([Media Sub Type], Movie),
        If(IsEqual([Genre], Documentary),
            Documentaries\[Name],
            [Media Sub Type]\[Name]
        ),
    IsEqual([Media Sub Type], Music),
        [Media Sub Type]\[Artist]\[Album],
        Misc
)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 06:49:41 pm »

I have different naming patterns for video vs tv vs music so have to manual switch between them as necessary, I guess this is not uncommon (but obviously could be wrong). It would be nice to be able to let MC handle that based on the media type of the item rather than having to do this manually per dropdown.

I just use presets for that, which gives me all the flexibility to select whatever I need for all scenarios, so its only one selection per task, but lets you define whatever criteria you have. Like I have different folders for movies of different quality, so I select the right preset and it moves them into the proper folder etc.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 12:45:24 am »

One thing that would improve my experience would be displaying the active preset name in the main tool screen (display *scratchpad* or similar when none are preset). Some times I think I have default preset on and just quickly confirm paths and then realize that I have changed something or a different preset was on.

Only one place would be needed. just couple of placement examples in the mock-up pic

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 01:49:16 am »

Don't know if i didn't understand something but why not just create one expression which handles all your media types or other rules you want to fulfill and save it as preset?
same reason search has a wizard mode, to make it easier to use

ultimately imv complex excel style formula are horrible, hard to read, hard to debug things and raise that to the power of n when they involve conditionals. MC not having an integrated formatter for these things to make them readable is another gap to my mind.

it's great that MC offers such functionality for people who truly want to roll your own but but making some gui tweaks akin to that search wizard seems like it would be nicer for most people (i.e. be able to pick a format based on a predicate + a simple field based predicate)

I just use presets for that, which gives me all the flexibility to select whatever I need for all scenarios, so its only one selection per task, but lets you define whatever criteria you have. Like I have different folders for movies of different quality, so I select the right preset and it moves them into the proper folder etc.
thanks, seems a reasonable workaround

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 02:01:52 am »

Creating multiple presets on your own is practically the same than creating one preset which have all those inside ifelse so it doesn't much help people who cannot do expressions. Maybe JRiver could write stock preset which does the the folder separation by media type/ sub type. Problem is that everyone has their own liking and there probably is never consensus

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2024, 02:08:45 am »

presets already exist so the way to define and save a configuration already exists hence no work needed on that side

all that is needed on top is a dialog similar to zoneswitch and in which you can then associate a preset configuration with a rule and that rule can be entered manually or via the "edit search with wizard" button

now tweak the main screen so it includes which preset was used and you've made a nice improvement to usability for (what I would expect to be) quite a small amount of effort

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 03:13:12 pm »

Could be handled by a group of smarter default presets, also would be a good way for novices to read and edit expressions.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2024, 04:50:35 am »

One thing that would improve my experience would be displaying the active preset name in the main tool screen (display *scratchpad* or similar when none are preset). Some times I think I have default preset on and just quickly confirm paths and then realize that I have changed something or a different preset was on.

Only one place would be needed. just couple of placement examples in the mock-up pic

Agreed, I use presets a lot , but get frustrated that I can’t just glance at the screen to see which is the active one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up