INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to Wireless Speaker System  (Read 1219 times)

Tweezer

• Recent member
Connecting to Wireless Speaker System
« on: July 16, 2024, 01:53:31 pm »

Hi,
I purchased a McIntosh RS250 Wireless Speaker System and I am trying to connect JRiver to it.
I can see the RS250 in the "Playing Now" section of JRiver and I can see it on my iPhone app.
However, no sound comes through the RS250.
Do I need an outboard DAC?  Can I stream from JRiver?

I have a large amount of flac files on a hard drive that is connected to my network.  I am able to play these files through my pre/pro that has an onboard DAC.

Also, I am able to stream from my iPhone direct the RS250.
However, I want to be able to access the large collection of music on my hard drive.

Am I missing a setting in  JRiver to do this?

Any help will be appreciated.

TYIA
Todd

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Connecting to Wireless Speaker System
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 02:12:40 pm »

In MC, drag a file to it.  What happens?

Volume?

Tweezer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 04:40:49 pm »

Hello
I dragged an audio file to the RS250 icon.  The counter starts so it seems to be playing but no sound comes from the speaker.
I have turned the volume up.
The WiFi light is lit on the unit so it seems to be connected OK.
I have it hardwired.

markf2748

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 05:48:12 pm »

Muted?  <Control>+M to toggle, or tap the small speaker icon at left side of MC's volume slider to show the Volume menu (first item is Mute).

Note: When muted and playing, MC's Progress Bar continues to advance, while the Spectrum Analyzer display in the Player Bar area vanishes.

Other settings in the Volume menu:
"Internal Volume" is normally used to control level with MC.
"System Volume" gives control to the OS volume control, which must be turned up to hear anything.

The WiFi light is lit on the unit so it seems to be connected OK.
I have it hardwired.
WiFi and hardwired?  Which mode is active and being used by MC?

- What does the WiFi light lit actually indicate?  Try shutting down the MC Server, then turn off the iPhone.  Does the light remain lit?  If so, it may simply indicate the RS250 has detected your network and is visible on it.  That is required, but not sufficient for MC WiFi communications.

- If wired, is proper driver selected in MC?

- Does the RS250 have a DLNA/UPnP wireless mode?  That is needed for direct MC wireless playback.  I don't see the DLNA logo in the product literature, so odds are it does not provide a DLNA renderer.

- My guess is that your iPhone connected by Chromecast or Apple AirPlay, neither of which are built into MC.

- There is the BubbleUPnP Server workaround which effectively enables Chromecast for the MC Server.  It is discussed in many threads in the Interact Forum.

- You might try a MC Android app (MO 4Media, BubbleUPnP for Android) to see if your phone, as a remote, can reliably cast the MC library to your speakers.  Personally, I prefer the BubbleUPnP Server solution for MC playing to my old Chromecast Audio dongles.

Tweezer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 05:02:45 pm »

It doesn't appear to be muted however there is no Spectrum analyzer display even thought the counter is moving.
It is hardwired through my home network.
The RS250 has a green light that means it is connected to the network.  I unplugged the internet cable and the light turned red.
plugged it back in and it is solid green again.
I rebooted the computer.  no change.
The RS250 shows up in MC and the counter on a flac file moves but no sound.

thanks

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 12:09:09 pm »

It looks like that device supports Chromecast but I don't see any mention of DLNA. You may need to install Bubble UPnP server to connect through Chromecast. Your iPhone is probably connecting through AirPlay.

markf2748

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 12:10:40 pm »

It doesn't appear to be muted however there is no Spectrum analyzer display even thought the counter is moving.
I think that is normal - the Player Bar Spectrum analyzer only appears when Player is selected under Playing Now.

It is hardwired through my home network.
The RS250 has a green light that means it is connected to the network.  I unplugged the internet cable and the light turned red.
plugged it back in and it is solid green again.
I rebooted the computer.  no change.
The RS250 shows up in MC and the counter on a flac file moves but no sound.
I don't have any experience with MC on ethernet LAN.  But it sounds like MC might be outputting a format which your renderer cannot play.  Here is something to check:
Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers > Audio > Mode > Specified Output > ...
Try PCM L16 No Header and other options to see if one will work, even though the RS250 does not specify DLNA compatibility.

It's also puzzling because oftentimes (but not always) MC will throw an error message if it is unable to properly communicate with a requested renderer.

For testing purposes, you should be using a common audio format like FLAC at 41.1 kHz sample rate.  Try deselecting all DSP options.

Sanity check:  Playing Now > (your renderer) > RMB menu > Divert Here > n/a grayed out.  (You don't want to divert to another player).

Playing Now > Overview should show your RS250 with a playlist if MC is behaving normally.  Click on the RS250 column to control it.

It looks like that device supports Chromecast but I don't see any mention of DLNA. You may need to install Bubble UPnP server to connect through Chromecast. Your iPhone is probably connecting through AirPlay.
BubbleUPnP Server will almost certainly work, though wired ethernet would be nice if it is possible.  Meanwhile, ask McIntosh to provide a DLNA renderer for this product.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

markf2748

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 11:14:17 am »

I purchased a McIntosh RS250 Wireless Speaker System and I am trying to connect JRiver to it.
I can see the RS250 in the "Playing Now" section of JRiver and I can see it on my iPhone app.
However, no sound comes through the RS250.
Do I need an outboard DAC?
The analog output of an outboard DAC will not help since the RS250 has no analog input (the DAC is built-in).  However, it does have an optical digital input on the rear panel, specified to process standard format SPDIF PCM signals.  So a DLNA-capable box recognized by MC which has an optical output could be connected to the RS250 to potentially provide a hardware solution to your problem.

For example, the low profile and inexpensive WIIM Pro (~$149) has been reported to work well with MC.  It has both Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connectivity, and has an optical output specified as bit-perfect up to 192 kHz, 24-bit.  So that would be worth a try, especially if purchased as returnable in the event it does not work for you.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

markf2748

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2024, 10:16:34 am »

Looks like the RS200 supported DLNA but that was discontinued with the RS250.
From what I can tell, DLNA was only folded into the third party DTS Play-Fi app which enabled that app to pull down some kinds of content from a DLNA server and play it on the RS200.  It does not appear to me that McIntosh ever provided a certified DLNA renderer in the usual sense, i.e. a target responsive to a DLNA server/control point such as MC.  Apparently they abandoned DTS Play-Fi technology with the RS250, or at least they don't currently advertise it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up