INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw output to DAC for 5.1 and more..  (Read 829 times)

jheb

• Recent member
Raw output to DAC for 5.1 and more..
« on: July 17, 2024, 06:40:13 pm »

How can I set it up to get the raw data such as 5.1 encoded data and various FLAC files to go directly without any modification etc by jriver mediacenter to my remote DAC.  I cant seem to find a combination and it keeps checking the box to do output processing even after I turn it off.  Any ideas?  I would like to play a list that has both 5.1 files and 2 channel files of various sampling rates.  Thank you!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Raw output to DAC for 5.1 and more..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 06:43:09 pm »

Is your remote DAC using DLNA / UPnP?

If so, you can tell JRiver not to convert.  It's in the settings for DLNA.

jheb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 04:53:16 pm »

I am using a USB connected DAC.  I just want the raw data to be outputted without any processing by jriver.  This would allow a 5.1 track be followed by a 96/24 stereo etc.  Right now I do not see a way to stop processing by jriver and just output the raw data and let the DAC interpret the signal.  The only way I found is to set jriver to output 5.1 but then it does that with everything when a track might just be stereo.
Thank you!!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 05:47:38 pm »

OK. You're not using DLNA.  Read about bitstreaming on the wiki.

jheb

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2024, 10:50:49 am »

No matter what I do, the system changes it back to active 2 channel.  I change to 5.1 or uncheck Output format box , save it, restart the player and it is back to what you see -  The content has 6 channels but for some reason it keeps changing it to 2 channels - see at the bottom.  I have tried so many combinations including checking the bitstream.  One note this is the linux version not Windows.  Thanks for your help.  I have a collection of flac files at different sampling rates and mkv files that have 5.1 tracks.  They work fine in other applications.

John

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 12:33:07 pm »

What if you change channels from "2 Channels (stereo)" to " Source number of Channels"
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2024, 12:40:59 pm »

Uncheck "Output Format".

Read about bitstreaming here:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Connection_Type

jheb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 12:57:29 pm »

Tried both.  It keeps changing them back.   

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2024, 01:16:06 am »

If you select 'Source Number of Channels' oe you cannot untick on the left 'output Format' to stop processing those settings ... and it still does not work - have you double checked your source file is actually multi channels?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 24 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound = Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC & SMSL SU-1 DAC /Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers | HiFi Sound - DLNA Network to WiiM Ultra Streamer /Onkyo Receiver in Music Room & Yamaha RX-V777 AV Receiver in Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2024, 01:25:55 pm »

Alternatively, have you confirmed that the DAC actually supports the number of channels you're sending?  That is, do you have tracks with more channels than your DAC supports (i.e. a 7.1 source and a six channel DAC, or a 5.1 source and a 2 channel DAC, etc.)?  The behavior you're describing would be expected if the DAC didn't support the number of channel outputs you're sending.  Source number of channels should work if your DAC has enough outputs to map the channels to.   If your DAC has enough output channels then something else odd is happening.

Also, can I suggest that you try the ALSA "plughw" output if you have one?  The pure hardware ALSA outputs can be a little unforgiving about channel/sample rate combinations, while the plughw output (if available) is still hardware direct but is more forgiving of mismatched channel counts.

One thing I'll note is that the bitstreaming options look pretty different on Linux to me than the ones described on the Wiki.  I don't have a Windows machine on hand anymore, but can anyone with a Windows machine confirm the bitstreaming options they have available?  On Linux there is basically only one bitstreaming option and it's related to DSD only, and I recall the windows bitstreaming dialogue had way more options (like an option to bitstream all audio?).

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2024, 01:30:10 pm »

Also post the log for when the playback changes happen then you may get better info as to what the error is

jheb

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 12:43:12 pm »

It is simply not implemented in Linux. Windows version offers several options under bit streaming.  Linux only has DSD and nothing else.  I selected the other options and intermixed files of 5.1, 96/24, etc all worked fine under windows with bitstreaming set correctly.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2024, 07:49:10 am »

It works for me - but you have to experiment to select the right device "iec958 Card" for SPDIF out put in my case. However if you are using a USB DAC it is not garanteed that Linux distribution you are using has a plug/play driver loaded to support it. That is nothing to do with JRiver. You need to ensure the system recognises your DAC somewhere within the Linux system audio settings - and run Youtube or something else through before going to JRiver to change the audio settings within JRiver which uses the system mixer by default.

I just bought a SMSL SU-1 for various reasons but also because it states that Linux is supported 'Linux (driverless)' meaning I should not have to hunt for a system package that has a driver for it.....

No idea what distribution you are running as they have differing sound apps and treatment depending on which one - but I suggest your investigation needs to start on that distribution's forums - not in the JRiver forum.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 24 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound = Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC & SMSL SU-1 DAC /Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers | HiFi Sound - DLNA Network to WiiM Ultra Streamer /Onkyo Receiver in Music Room & Yamaha RX-V777 AV Receiver in Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2024, 03:45:30 am »

I just added a similar setup to my equipment, a USB SMSL SU-1 DAC. To get it exclusive in JRiver I need to Create a new Zone so I can specific the Audio device. Also tell Linux in Pulse to assign Digital audio to that device ( (may be different for different distribution) IEC958 and NOT Analog audio. Then in JRiver pick the device "iec958: CARD=AUDIO DEV=0 [ALSA]"

Your setup will be different if a different distribution but may give you a clue in what to follow? Perhaps you are sending out analog sound out the USB which is apparently possible - but wont amount to any sound I believe.
Dave
------

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2024, 02:33:55 pm »

In MC's audio->advanced settings->Auto config output settings on playback failure, set to NO. That will prevent the output format from changing.

The Audio device you choose for USB definitely should not the PCH one you showed in your screen shot.

There is a command line utility in MC to show all of the audio devices and their capabilities.
In a terminal session run
/usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 32/alsacap
post the output here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up