INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nominating a Candidate for the Democratic Party -- How It Works  (Read 1126 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

So Biden just said he won't run.  He endorsed Kamala Harris.  So have some other major Democratic figures.

But there's more to it than that.  The candidate must receive party endorsement and get on the ballot.  And there isn't a lot of time.

The Democratic convention occurs in a couple of weeks.  They usually vote, state by state, for the candidate who won the primary.

But now, the candidate isn't running.  Presumably he will release his delegates so they can vote for whoever they want.

Kamala may breeze through that process.  I hope we see an open convention where others compete with her.  If she wins, she will have earned the nomination.

Something else has been going on since the debate.  The DNC or Democratic National Committee has been talking about polling the states to get the count done and Biden endorsed before the convention.  They luckily postponed this for a week.

I'm opposed to this backroom method.  This is too important.  We have to nominate a candidate who can beat Trump.  This will require someone who is quick and articulate and can throw a punch.  A bulldog.

Gavin Newsome?  Pritzker?  Whitmer?

To be continued.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Nominating a Candidate for the Democratic Party -- How It Works
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2024, 03:57:47 pm »

Or Biden vacates the office and Kamala Harris becomes President.  She then can choose her Vice President.  Oddly, it's an appointed position.

As President, she might be uncontested.

JimH

• Administrator

Skerik

• Recent member
Re: Nominating a Candidate for the Democratic Party -- How It Works
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 05:56:18 pm »

But now, the candidate isn't running.  Presumably he will release his delegates so they can vote for whoever they want.

Saw a commentator say that Dem party has long had a possibility of delegates voting for someone else due to conscience. Might be a technicality, but Biden might not be required to actually release them. I'm sure we'll see more soon.

I'm opposed to this backroom method.  This is too important.  We have to nominate a candidate who can beat Trump.  This will require someone who is quick and articulate and can throw a punch.  A bulldog.

Given the 2016 DNC circumstances with Hilary Clinton that resulted in even some hard core Democrats not voting for her, I think it would behoove them to be as transparent as possible and no backroom shenanigans with this. Open it up and let someone truly earn it with the trust that comes with that - this is too important.
Pages: [1]   Go Up