INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New presentation mode in MC 33  (Read 1859 times)

Manni

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New presentation mode in MC 33
« on: July 22, 2024, 02:12:09 pm »

I see in the changelog that there is a new default presentation mode for V33, where do you access the settings to select the presentation mode (if exposed)?
Or is this new mode always enabled?
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New presentation mode in MC 33
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 02:16:40 pm »

From the thread on the beta board:

"The new mode is on by default in Media Center 33, but there is an option to disable it in the JRVR Advanced settings, as well as to control the length of the presentation queue.

"On a technical level, this swaps around the timing of frames to be entirely VSYNC driven, rather then driven by the frame itself."

Manni

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 02:19:49 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, I looked there but missed it the first time :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 02:21:11 pm »

It has some flaws that Hendrik is working on.

Manni

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2024, 02:22:57 pm »

It has some flaws that Hendrik is working on.

Thanks for letting me know. Testing V33 on my laptop for now.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2024, 04:11:18 pm »

Manni - Hendrik is still working on it pretty extensively on this new method and you may bump into a queue blocking issue with some GPU's (nvidia for me). 
JRiver CEO Elect

Manni

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2024, 05:59:30 am »

Manni - Hendrik is still working on it pretty extensively on this new method and you may bump into a queue blocking issue with some GPU's (nvidia for me).

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm not installing V33 on the HTPC yet, only playing with it on my laptop.

Manni

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2024, 07:43:45 am »

All seemed to be working fine on the laptop (3060) so I decided to install MC 33 on the HTPC (3090), both using the latest 560.70 studio driver.

The new presentation mode (with the default 8 frames in advance) seems to be working fine (I've only tested 23p content in 4K119 OS HDR at this stage). I use Chapter 2 of Pacific Rim (UHD Bluray) as it's one of the most demanding content I know of, both for tonemapping and for frame drop testing as it's 16/9, so lots of content to process (no black bars).

Not only did I get no dropped frames, but I always get a repeated frame drop in this chapter on the HTPC at the same point, whether with JRVR or madVR, and for the first time with MC 33 and the new presentation mode I got 0 dropped, 0 repeated. Could be a one off, but it's encouraging.

So far so good, I'm going to test Atmos dropouts, I was still getting some with the latest MC 32 (build 58), so I was only using the HTPC in non bitstream mode, for non Atmos/DTS:X titles. I'll report back if MC 33 with the new presentation mode is any different.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2024, 12:56:07 pm »

When using the old presentation mode with the display at 120Hz, the fans of the graphic card stay turned off while viewing a movie.

When using the new presentation mode with the display at 120Hz, the fans of the graphic card are on all the time while viewing the same movie.

I imagine the fans would stay turned off if I would let MC switch the display refresh rate to match the video file fps, which is almost always below 30fps, but I prefer to use just a singe refresh rate for the display.

While there might be advantages to the new presentation mode (more accurate presentation times?), I would like to be able to still use the old mode as I prefer the silence of no fans spinning. So, please don't remove it from JRVR! :)

Btw, I had no issue with a Nvidia 4090 card and an old driver (537.58), it did not hang or have any other issue that I could notice.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2024, 01:55:13 pm »

I tried it on two desktops, both hanged trying to play a movie 23 fps / 23 hz. it stopped. On one of the desktops I used latest nvidia driver and rtx 3050. So I had to uninstalled it.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2024, 06:11:13 pm »

I am going to echo what AD posted in another thread:

MC33 isn't released yet and that build really shouldn't be used. Probably a good idea to go back to MC32 and wait until MC33 is officially released in mid-September.

The new presentation mode has had significant changes during beta testing, so please don't try drawing any conclusions from the MC33.0.1 release.
Good manners cost nothing.
Bad manners can cost you your reputation
― B.D.Hawkey

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2024, 01:54:43 pm »

I should perhaps have been more precise about my report. I know that MC 33 is not released yet. My comment was short and could be misinterpreted. I only wrote that it did not work. That this early release did not work. It was not meant in any way that MC 33 is bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up