INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 32 Crashes on Windows 11  (Read 440 times)

smichalove

• Recent member
JRiver 32 Crashes on Windows 11
« on: July 23, 2024, 05:30:58 pm »

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11, reinstalled x64 32 on it and now it crashes all the time, during video playback, auto-import, whenever

in the logs I get this before crash:
0017000: 3276: General: RunProgram: Finish (143 ms)
0017058: 2388: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Buffer could not be filled, missing 35280 bytes
0017158: 2388: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Buffer could not be filled, missing 35280 bytes
0017258: 2388: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Buffer could not be filled, missing 35280 bytes
0017358: 2388: Playback: CWASAPIPlugin::Thread: Buffer could not be filled, missing 35280 bytes

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver 32 Crashes on Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 05:40:19 pm »

Did you reboot?

Crashes are usually from antivirus or drivers.

What are you using for antivirus?

You could try the 32-bit version of MC.  You might learn something.

smichalove

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 11:12:28 pm »

Hey,

Really appreciate you taking the time to read my message; I have been Running JR since v21 when I worked at Microsoft; I am at Google now (https://www.linkedin.com/in/smichalove/) The OS where I am running this is Recently installed Win 11; (Clean install); My AV is Norton (same combo as my three other instances running JR but the only running 32.  The 32 bit may not offer me the number space I need to run x4 DSD to my Ayer AB9 and MadRiver (Highest quality) that my 64 version offers.  The Audio setup is a bit unique on the system (I have a bespoke AYRE QB9 Twenty ASIO driver installed but not using it on this version of JR (I run on the same machine 31 for Music and only JR 32 for video) I lost my windows 10 during my conversion from MBR to GPT partitions (I had a full partition backup but it turned out that JR had stopped doing auto-backups so restored from a JR 28 backup and I am a bit concentered whatever json (or similar) you are using for config restore may have created problems.

My next step is to uninstall and re-install JRiver; I will take a backup but not sure if the possible config issue will be tatoo'ed in the backup;  BTW there are no issues with VLC, other video front ends with my audio drivers or rendering audio.

My 31 works fine (restored from the same JR28) but not using HDMI drivers but using the Ayer ASIO driver) IF there is a way to set my config back to default (not sure if that is an option --- did not see it in Tools->Options --- I will try a fresh install with JR tonight.  Not sure if you had a regression in JR32 x64 in your audio driver buffering that you had not seen before, if so happy to help anyway I can to debug and repro,

I will let you know.  Since I have been running JR since 2006/7 it is pretty amazing that this is the only bug I have managed to find (last one was an AIFF decode/audio analysis bug a long time ago) so I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the the Software.

If a fresh install does not solve the issue will downgrade to x32 but do not want to stay there (Silly to on a Ryzen 50XX CPU and a NVIDIA RTX 3XXX GPU --> as usual I was among the first to buy the 32 license and install it.  It was rock solid (pretty much) on WIN 10 x64 on the same system. (same audio config and Norton,etc)  But I know that the Windows Memory management in WIN 11 is slightly different as are kernel mode Drivers in 11 but no clue if this is where the issue is.

-- oh and it could also be a conflict with having 31 and 32 on the same system (i had that before prior to OS upgrade) but on an upgrade path rather than 1) Fresh install of 32 then fresh install of 31 ( I think I pointed my 31 at the 32 database but cannot remember) 

Thanks again,

Steven

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 07:46:26 am »

The easiest test will be uninstalling Norton.  Windows Defender must be configured.  There's a thread on it here.

Uninstalling MC isn't necessary.

Trying the 32 bit version of JRiver might let you know if the audio driver is having trouble with 64 bit.  You could install the 64 bit version of JRiver after.

It is almost certainly not an MC problem.

You might look at the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature and the antivirus thread linked from the first post there.  Lots of crash problems and solutions.

smichalove

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 10:26:04 am »

I think I managed to solve the issue, it seems that c:\users\$USER\AppData permissions were wonky and the directory was not writable, once I took ownership of the directory flow it seems stable; I found this during uninstall (uninstall/install) alone did not help.  Kinda obscure but once I did chown on the directory and took ownership of c:\users\$USER\AppData it seems stable now.  This should be pretty easy to repro if you are interested and adding an error catch around your write code to $SYSTEM\user\$USER\AppData to handle exceptions in a way that surfaces an error rather than crashing....
Pages: [1]   Go Up