Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash  (Read 1125 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Crash
« on: August 16, 2024, 04:50:50 pm »

Just updated to MC 33 and got a crash after every new step, mostly even before: setting permissions, opening a file, saving the logging....

Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Crash
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 05:00:50 pm »

Tried whether it works after a Mac restart but MC 33.0.13 crashes at once after every restart of the the program (MacBook Pro 16'' M1 Pro, latest system update).
At the moment MC 33 is unusable - at least on my Mac. I am back to MC 32. That works.
Frank

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 10:20:36 pm »

Tried whether it works after a Mac restart but MC 33.0.13 crashes at once after every restart of the the program (MacBook Pro 16'' M1 Pro, latest system update).
At the moment MC 33 is unusable - at least on my Mac. I am back to MC 32. That works.
Frank
Look in the System Preferences and check the permissions.
Make sure they match the Media Center 32 allowed permissions.
Your crash dump indicates playback? Is that the case?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 01:14:45 am »

<<Make sure they match the Media Center 32 allowed permissions.
Your crash dump indicates playback? Is that the case?>>

I set all permissions as in MC 32. May be that the "crash dump" in this case indicates playback but it crashes in any situation.
Opened it the first time and was very pleased to see that - unlike in former version - the library doesn't need to be imported but immediately is integrated.
Then came the first crash. I started MC33 again, it shows me to set a permission - while setting the permission comes the next crash. And so on after any
new action and after any attempt to playback. Saving the log - crash......, searching for a title - crash, only opening and doing nothing - crash....

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 01:23:16 am »

Here is again the first picture of the setting of permissions. I see that it is different for MC 32 and MC 33.

fredimac

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 01:50:57 am »

I see only Media Center 32, but Media Center 33 works well - but I use only the Audio mode.
M1 (Apple Silicon) MacMini, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Sonoma 14;
DAC: Jan Meier Corda Daccord; JRiver Media Center 32, Audirvana Studio, Fidelia, foobar2000; some other software for ripping, editing, testing, play.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 12:38:16 am »

I deleted MC 33, installed it again, set all permissions as shown in the previous appended screen pictures...
After some seconds MC crashes. MC 32 works without any problem.
Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2024, 07:32:29 am »

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2024, 04:49:23 pm »

checked all and all permissions are set as for MC 32.
As I wrote before one looks different (appendix).
Otherwise the same: crash after crash with MC 33

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 10:41:05 am »

Remove the applications data for MC33 (it will need to recopy all of the MC32 stuff over again and be relicensed). It's possible your settings file got corrupted. Do NOT interrupt the process when starting up the first time. The library, etc can take a long time to copy.

Make the user Library directory accessible to finder and delete the Media Center 33 folder under Applications/J River. That removes all of the user data.

We note that your MC32 install is allowing downloads and desktop to be accessed but not your MC33. That shouldn't be an issue unless you have files in the MC32 database that are in either of those places. Still I don't think that would cause a crash.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 03:09:27 am »

No other possibility? 35047 albums (735854 Files - 4.40 years - 10.1 TB)!
How can I remove the applications data from within MC 33 if it always crashes after 3 seconds?
The only possibility I see is to delete an outside file or a possibility to start MC 33 without an import of the 32 library.
Deleting MC 33 and all data doesn't mean that MC 32 won't work anymore, too?
Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 03:20:09 am »

I just started MC 33 from the icon in the package (contents - MacOS).
This opened the terminal and then the program. MC 33 again crashed but I got something new by the terminal report.
Perhaps that can clarify a bit more.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2024, 09:43:43 am »

Nothing in your terminal session is important or unexpected other than the segfault.

Removing ONLY MC33's application data only affects MC33. Each major version is self contained.
You Delete ONLY the Media Center 33 folder under your ~/Library/Application Support/J River folder. You don't delete any other version there.

You of course should always have a backup of your Mac in case you make a mistake while deleting the Media Center 33 folder.

Do not interrupt MC33 when you start it again after the deleting of the data. Especially with the size of your library from MC32 it will take quite a while before it pops up.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2024, 03:46:59 pm »

Tried that but no chance - as expected. I deleted the library folder and started MC 33. It builds a new one, shows that it has the imported the library of MC 32 and crashes. In this case the automatic import of the old library seems to be a dilemma.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 02:14:12 am »

for testing  purposes you could :
1. delete everything MC33
2. rename MC32 in Library folder
3. download  MC33
4. install MC 33
5. see if it still crashes
6 if not, restore library from renamed folder (or first rename back to MC32 and restore form there)

and work on fresh MC32 library backup.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2024, 07:27:44 am »

Well, I am a step further. Deleting MC 33 app and library, renaming MC 32 and its library folder worked. I could install MC 33 and open. It didn't crash until I tried to restore the library from the MC 32 library. Then it crashed again.
New attempt: same procedure again without trying to restore MC 33 from MC 32. The attempt to import any folder from any hard drive failed because there are no permissions and after installing and opening MC 33 the program didn't ask for any.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2024, 07:37:03 am »

After restarting the Mac I can import what is on my hard discs. Seems to work.
Thanks for the help.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2024, 11:34:06 am »

After restarting the Mac I can import what is on my hard discs. Seems to work.
Thanks for the help.
Would you mind emailing me a copy of your MC32 library backup zip so I can try to reproduce?
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2024, 03:45:03 pm »

Just done

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2024, 06:36:36 am »

Just want to report that in the meantime MC 33 works without permanently crashing.
AGAWAS post saved me. Renaming the MC 32 liibrary did the job. After one and a half days of importing it works.

Frank 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2024, 10:17:40 am »

I did run this on my Sonoma box. Restored your backup to MC32 then ran a first time install of MC33.
It updated to your library and asked me for each of the permissions in turn that it needed with one requiring a restart of MC which I allowed.
So I'm not sure exactly what it going on here unfortunately.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2024, 12:50:22 pm »

Don't know either. Good that it works now.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up