INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some MKV files are playing without video in Red October JRVR in MC 33  (Read 609 times)

Cinelder

• World Citizen

Since updating to MC 33 (MC 33.0.13, and MC 33.0.15), I've noticed certain (but not all) MKV files open and have audio in Red October JRVR video mode, but there is no video during playback, rather they play audio with a black screen.

Without exception, I've noticed that the same MKV files will open and play as expected in Red October madVR video mode in  MC 33.0.15, or in MC 32.0.58 with Red October JRVR (i.e. the video mode that *isn't* working in MC 33), or in VLC. 

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Some MKV files are playing without video in Red October JRVR in MC 33
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 05:52:38 pm »

What GPU are you using for playback? Nvidia, AMD, Intel iGPU or Intel ARC?
Any commonality regarding the video compression (e.g. VC-1, H264, mpeg-2) of the files that don't play?
Good manners cost nothing.
Bad manners can cost you your reputation
― B.D.Hawkey

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 06:48:16 pm »

Thanks.

Re: compression, I've only experienced the problem on certain MKV files. It seems to affect a minority of mkv files, I've been running MC 33 for a few weeks and only run into the issue today. 

The problematic MKV files and the MKV files that play normally all have the same compression, AFAIK.  Don't know if it affects others; I've only played MKV files recently.

Re GPUs, I tried opening and playing the same mkv file on 3 different systems running MC 33.0.15.  The results seem to point to a particular NVIDIA GPU, in my case NVIDIA GeForce RTXS 2060.

Video mode for the results on the 3 systems is all Red October JRVR, since I haven't experienced the problem with Red October madVR.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (driver 27.21.14.5749)/Red October JRVR: plays normally

Arc A770M mobile GPU/Red October JRVR: plays normally

NVIDIA GeForce RTXS 2060 (driver 31.0.15.5212)/Red October JRVR: plays audio, doesn't play video (black screen)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 07:22:12 pm »

Is 'Present Queue' enabled or disabled in JRVR?
Windows update installed recently?

I would suggest that you remove the RTX 2060 Nvidia 552.12 driver using the DDU utility https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/Download-Display-Driver-Uninstaller-DDU-18080 and install the latest 560.94 driver to see if there is any change.
Good manners cost nothing.
Bad manners can cost you your reputation
― B.D.Hawkey

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 08:08:38 pm »

Thanks for the reply. 

Re: Present Queue, it made no difference whether this was enabled or disabled in JRVR.
Re: remove/reinstall driver - that's a little above my comfort grade as an experiment given the nature of the problem*; I'd rather wait for the automatic NVIDIA driver update on my system and run madVR till then while running MC 33, or hope that JRiver can fix whatever isn't working with these files in MC 33 with JRVR that already works in MC 32 with the same JRVR settings.

I noticed a similar issue was also reported in this thread today:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,139521.0.html

*My abundance of caution comes from the note on the NVDIA driver page "Although GeForce Game Ready Drivers and NVIDIA Studio Drivers can be installed on supported notebook GPUs, the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM for recommended software updates for your notebook."  https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/details/230853/

MY OEM app indicates that at present I have the recommended NVIDIA driver for my system.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 12:21:15 pm »

AHA!

I noticed Hendrik's suggestion to try another Deinterlacing Mode under JRVR Settings in another thread regarding some files playing audio only, not playing video

"Another thought, in Settings -> Video -> JRVR Settings -> Processing, can you swap "Deinterlacing Mode" to YADIF? Just for testing to rule some things out."

That works.  When I changed the Deinterlacing Mode to YADIF the problematic MKVs now play normally.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 12:42:32 pm »

Thanks for testing, that is helpful. I'll investigate that combination.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 01:30:06 pm »

I noticed Hendrik's suggestion to try another Deinterlacing Mode under JRVR Settings in another thread regarding some files playing audio only, not playing video

"Another thought, in Settings -> Video -> JRVR Settings -> Processing, can you swap "Deinterlacing Mode" to YADIF? Just for testing to rule some things out."
That change also solves my live TV playback problem.

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 03:04:13 am »

AHA!

That works.  When I changed the Deinterlacing Mode to YADIF the problematic MKVs now play normally.

Thanks. I similarly had the problem of black screen in MC 33. All was fine in MC 32. Changing this setting it now works in MC33.
Pages: [1]   Go Up