INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Special characters  (Read 995 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Special characters
« on: August 28, 2024, 02:20:52 am »

This is for a long time now and never has been fixed: if you double-click on a word with special character not the whole word is selected but only a part (before or after the special character).
Could this be solved? Otherwise I am happy that MC in the meantime can handle special characters at all.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Special characters
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 07:53:02 am »

Fixed in the next build.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 09:49:03 am »

Great, thanks.
Another one: would it be possible that "Filter current view for this value" could find exactly the value, including special characters.
If I for instance use it in the conductor field for Kubelík, I get all entries of Kubelík AND Kubelik. I have only the possibility to change all
entries to Kubelík to get a clean database.
It's good for the search field to get all results but here I think it is not.
Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 01:46:37 am »

And one more:
I have many unsorted and untagged files from sharegroups. All are imported in MC to tag them and then to sort to their composer/interpreter folders.
The only way to find them is to look for the filename. To find a folder I have to look for the name of the folder and to insert that into the search field.
But if I am looking for Schönberg Kammerkonzert Ançerl I won't find it because the name in the filename field appears as Scho nberg Kammerkonzert Anc erl.
Could that be fixed, too?
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 08:34:21 am »

And one more:
I have many unsorted and untagged files from sharegroups. All are imported in MC to tag them and then to sort to their composer/interpreter folders.
The only way to find them is to look for the filename. To find a folder I have to look for the name of the folder and to insert that into the search field.
But if I am looking for Schönberg Kammerkonzert Ançerl I won't find it because the name in the filename field appears as Scho nberg Kammerkonzert Anc erl.
Could that be fixed, too?
Frank
Can you show a screen shot of that Scho nberg Kammerkonzert Anc erl? Since the change to pre-composed utf-8 that shouldn't exist any more unless it's decomposed in the tags (which it should not be).

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 09:55:48 am »

Not exactly that because this recording doesn't exist. But here are two examples.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 10:55:50 am »

Many thanks for fixing the double-click bug with special characters!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 11:04:44 am »

Not exactly that because this recording doesn't exist. But here are two examples.
Where did your screenshot file come from? How was it added to your library?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2024, 04:16:00 pm »

It came from a newly edited broadcast recording. Recorded from the radio, tracked with WaveLab Pro 12. The unedited, only named tracks were pulled to the MC icon in the dock.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2024, 08:33:31 am »

It came from a newly edited broadcast recording. Recorded from the radio, tracked with WaveLab Pro 12. The unedited, only named tracks were pulled to the MC icon in the dock.
Ok, so there were no tags originally, the name field was constructed from the filename when you pulled the file into the MC I assume?

And the filename is correct on disk?

So the filename on disk is decomposed utf-8 and it should get converted to precomposed utf-8 in MC31, 32 and 33.

If it was imported earlier the name should have gotten converted when the library was automatically converted to precomposed utf-8 by MC otherwise there is an issue with dropping a tagless file with decomposed utf-8 special characters into MC.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2024, 03:50:32 pm »

Ok, so there were no tags originally, the name field was constructed from the filename when you pulled the file into the MC I assume?
And the filename is correct on disk?

Just that. As discussed in another thread here I had extreme difficulty with MC 33 and the library taken at the first start from MC 32 It always crashed.
I had to rename the older library and to import anew all files from my discs.

So:
If it was imported earlier the name should have gotten converted when the library was automatically converted to precomposed utf-8 by MC otherwise there is an issue with dropping a tagless file with decomposed utf-8 special characters into MC
obviously didn't work because many of the files were not automatically converted at the import.
Frank

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2024, 06:43:42 pm »

I have a file name created on Windows that refuses to open / import on MC for macOS.  It does import into MC for Windows.

The file name includes the :

﹕𝐼. test.flac

That's Small Colon followed by Mathematical Italic Capitol I (UTF-16 0xFE55 and surrogate pairs 0xD835 0xDC3C).

Furthermore, MC on Windows fails when trying to rename the file using Rename, Move & Copy Files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2024, 01:18:17 am »

Try renaming the file.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2024, 07:03:18 am »

Try renaming the file.

The file name works fine in other players on both Windows and macOS.  MC is not handling these characters correctly internally.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2024, 07:32:58 am »

(removed post about invalid chars, didn't notice it was a Unicode small colon. That should work.)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2024, 09:27:15 am »

I have a file name created on Windows that refuses to open / import on MC for macOS.  It does import into MC for Windows.

The file name includes the :

﹕𝐼. test.flac

That's Small Colon followed by Mathematical Italic Capitol I (UTF-16 0xFE55 and surrogate pairs 0xD835 0xDC3C).

Furthermore, MC on Windows fails when trying to rename the file using Rename, Move & Copy Files.
Is the file on a Mac drive or a fat drive or a smb share?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2024, 09:33:43 am »

Just that. As discussed in another thread here I had extreme difficulty with MC 33 and the library taken at the first start from MC 32 It always crashed.
I had to rename the older library and to import anew all files from my discs.

So:  obviously didn't work because many of the files were not automatically converted at the import.
Frank
When the database is updated there is a one time conversion, it's never run again. When you do a fresh import you should not see missing characters like in your screen shot. I cannot duplicate that.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2024, 09:36:16 am »

Could the conversion process have crashed midway, so some names remained unconverted?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2024, 09:41:14 am »

Could the conversion process have crashed midway, so some names remained unconverted?
Possibly however he said he did a re-import.
Maybe that was from the previous library?
At any rate the utf-8 conversion tool should be able to clean that up.
He could pick one file and try that.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2024, 11:28:48 am »

Is the file on a Mac drive or a fat drive or a smb share?

On Windows: local NTFS.

On macOS: local APFS.

No shares being used.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2024, 06:05:08 pm »

I know that I can use the the utf-8 conversion.
But that doesn't help when I am looking for untagged files that only can be looked for through the filename.
If I am looking for Zauberflöte MC doesn't find the files because the filename on one of the external hard drives (AFPS formatted) looks Zauberflöte on the HDD but Zauberflo te in the filename field in MC. Even if I am searching for Zauberflo te MC doesn't find the file.
Another example you can see in the appended pictures. here the filenames are correct but not in the name field. It appears to be correct (1) but if you highlight the field it appears broken.
As I already wrote all files were freshly imported and NOT taken from a former library.
Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2024, 01:39:46 am »

Just got a new and untagged file from a share group. The filename appears correct on the HDD but broken in the filename field. You only notice that if you will highlight the filename field.
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2024, 09:48:18 am »

Let's take this one step at a time Frank.

For new files, you shouldn't be able to get the name field (constructed from the filename when there are no tags) as decomposed utf-8.
I wasn't able to produce that.

I dragged untagged files with from the finder into the MC and both the name and filename fields look fine when selected in the tag window.

Would you please verify that the only time you can see this issue is when you drag onto the MC icon?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2024, 10:28:29 am »

Let's take this one step at a time Frank.

For new files, you shouldn't be able to get the name field (constructed from the filename when there are no tags) as decomposed utf-8.

I dragged untagged files with from the finder into the MC and both the name and filename fields look fine when selected in the tag window.

Would you please verify that the only time you can see this issue is when you drag onto the MC icon?
Ok, I THINK I found this. Seems like it is the drop on icon that's handled differently (because it's a system delegation). Check the next build when it's posted.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2024, 07:52:32 am »

It happens not only if I drag the file on the icon in the dock. On my system it also happens if I am doing the import of a folder with tools - import. At least in the file name tag all special characters appear "broken". Let's hope that the next update will fix or, at least, improve that.
Frank

<<Let's take this one step at a time Frank.

Would you please verify that the only time you can see this issue is when you drag onto the MC icon?>>

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2024, 10:44:02 am »

Dear Bob,

regrettably it's not only if I import a file with drag and drop on the icon in the dock. It happens, also, if I am importing a file with the tools - import feature.
And the last .22 update didn't help as you can see in the appended picture, taken just after the update.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2024, 09:43:06 am »

Dear Bob,

regrettably it's not only if I import a file with drag and drop on the icon in the dock. It happens, also, if I am importing a file with the tools - import feature.
And the last .22 update didn't help as you can see in the appended picture, taken just after the update.
Not the same thing. That file has tags. It's more likely that the file is incorrectly tagged with decomposed utf-8 in the name field.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2024, 09:49:28 am »

Would it be possible to provide a Tools function to go over the entire DB and convert all decomposed chars to pre-composed UTF8? Maybe adding a selection of which fields to process.

Shouldn't the conversion Tool in the above post fix this?
What if the filename (on disk) itself is Decomposed? Wouldn't the [filename] field have to show it that way?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2024, 10:00:23 am »

Would it be possible to provide a Tools function to go over the entire DB and convert all decomposed chars to pre-composed UTF8? Maybe adding a selection of which fields to process.

Shouldn't the conversion Tool in the above post fix this?
What if the filename (on disk) itself is Decomposed? Wouldn't the [filename] field have to show it that way?
The tool will correct any decomposed strings in the DB.
There are no decomposed strings in the database now. The filesystem accepts either form but only provides the decomposed form.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2024, 10:09:59 am »

Don't the screenshots seem to indicate that there are some decomposed chars in the DB? Maybe some import/tagging loophole allow that to happen?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2024, 10:22:27 am »

Don't the screenshots seem to indicate that there are some decomposed chars in the DB? Maybe some import/tagging loophole allow that to happen?
MC will not correct the tags on import. That there are decomposed utf-8 in the tags is the issue, use the tool to correct the DB then update the tags from the DB.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2024, 05:53:00 pm »

Maybe that there are decomposed files and the UTF8 decompose file names can fix that.
But the fact remains that (as with some other things - like the windows management) JRiver Mediacenter remains the only app on my Mac that has a problem with that.
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2024, 07:45:49 am »

Maybe that there are decomposed files and the UTF8 decompose file names can fix that.
But the fact remains that (as with some other things - like the windows management) JRiver Mediacenter remains the only app on my Mac that has a problem with that.
Frank
Sorry but from what I've read those are not proper tags. What did you tag them with?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2024, 09:59:47 am »

Dear Bob,
there are two things that are a problem, at least for me.
One is that many files on my HDDs are unsorted and untagged (from sharegroups, recorded by myself and so on). This is much more than 1 TB. All of them are on a drive with unsorted files. Nearly all of them have the work or composer in their file names (like: Dvorak, Symphony 8, Belohlavek). They are imported in the MC database only by these filenames. If I want to tag all unsorted Dvorak files, I'm searching in MC for the drive and Dvorak (Samsung Dvorak) and all Dvorak files on that drive are found by MC. But if several of them have the correct "Dvořák" in the filename they are not found because MC reads the as "Dvor a k". If I am searching "Dvor a k" it also not found.

Same with the kind of naming files that I use for decades now like "Mahler_Sinfonie8_Bělohlávek_BBC_Proms2010_1". MC can't handle "_" in the filename and reads them as "Mahler Sinfonie8 Be lohla vek BBC Proms2010 1". So I use the program Metadatics for this and the tool Filenames to Tags for that. If they are imported  by MC the "_" is there but "Bělohlávek" appears broken.

Good new: double-click on a word with a special in MC works now and perhaps more important: MC works up to now without a problem with the new Mac OS Sequoia.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up