INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Hard to Get New Skins...  (Read 2275 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Too Hard to Get New Skins...
« on: January 30, 2003, 01:24:53 pm »

I have not installed a new skin in some time.  I just tried to install two new skins & was meat with a very confusing download dialog box that made no sence to me at all...

I don't know what is going on but...

It used to be very easy to install new skins.. you simply selected Download & the new skin was automatically downloaded & installed.

Now I am befronted by a very confusing & overally complex dialog box with way too many choices.

The bottom line is I was able to only get one skin installed after many tries.

Why was a previously very simply process made so darn complex?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: Too Hard to Get New Skins...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 01:28:40 pm »

Just discovered that the Download dialog box is an Opera 7 browser Download dialog.

Does JRiver need to take a look at this problem as it confuses a previously simple process?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 01:44:02 pm »

Just tried to install several skins with IE6.

I did get the old very simple download box but after the download was complete I also got a message saying "Failed to install skin".

Is it possible this is happening because I had un-installed MC from C:\Program Files\Media Jukebox & re-installed it to C:\Program Files\Media Center?

Does the Skin download know where MC is at or is it assuming it to be under the old Media Jukebox folder?

If so this needs to be fixed ASAP!

Autoelph

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 01:52:20 pm »

I do know that the installer on the "watercolor" skins is corrupt. "Amped" worked for me yesterday, though.

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 02:18:24 pm »

Installing watercolor in v8 works just fine. I don't know if there is something different to do for v9.  :-[

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 02:20:24 pm »

All the skin installs fail for me, too ... I also completely use the new MC9 folder structure and no longer have any MJ folders, so I bet they are trying to install in the old MJ folder(s).

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 03:04:41 pm »

Thanks guys;

Sounds like JRiver needs to do some work on the Skins Installer.

Are you listening, Jim?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 03:05:37 pm »

What?

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 04:20:03 pm »

I'm in the same boat.  The skins download as a single .mjp file, however the default skins consist of multple files in folders and MC's skin installer is looking for a folder rather than a single file.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 05:33:00 pm »

I just installed several skins using MC9.0.88 and Internet Explorer and it worked fine.  I also tried using Netscape 7.01 and it doesn't work.  >:(

I do know that I've read many posts from the powers that be, that the skin/plug-in install packages only work correctly with Internet Explorer.

Rob

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 09:34:22 pm »

Add me to the list.

I can't install any Skins as I get the error:

INSTALLSKIN action failed

I'm running the latest release of MJ9 (105)

The weird thing is that I could install the 'AMPED' skin so I don't think it's a problem at my end.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2003, 02:03:24 am »

I also am running 105 and cannot download most skins.  However, Amped and SonixMedia skins did install.

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2003, 08:25:12 am »

You hear us now, Jim?

All Skins did download ok on earlier versions of MC9 but not now.

Also some of us changed the MC install from Media Jukebox to Media Center (C:\Program Files\Media Center).

Mybe that is the problem... Skins download may be defaulting to Media Jukebox?

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2003, 09:44:03 am »

After some experimenting... I believe I know why the Watercolor skins won't install properly, yet Amped does.

The zip file that contains Amped does not keep the files inside a folder. The Watercolor skins do. When MC opens the zip file containing the watercolor skin, it can't find the files necessary (it finds the folder instead), and aborts.

A simple fix (I've tried it and it works), is to recreate the zip file containing the watercolor skin files.... this time, without the watercolor_-_XXXXX folder. MC makes the folder, so there is no need for an extra one.

Hope this helps. And, if this isn't the way it is SUPPOSED to work.... then this would constitute a bug, I guess.

Happy skinning!
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

dragyn

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2003, 11:29:16 am »

Thanks for the fix. I just copied what the others did. I'll update the zip files. Remember, I'm just a newbie at this skin stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up