INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC on Webpad & Output Sound via Server  (Read 1208 times)

steph99

• nothing more to say...
Using MC on Webpad & Output Sound via Server
« on: January 28, 2003, 05:29:14 am »

Hi all!

I've been following MJ's/MC's development for quite a while now and it seems it has come a long way!

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I used the search function (honestly, I did ;) ) with little to no success. So I'd appreciate if you guys could help me here.

What I would like to do is the following:
Run or at least see MC on my webpad (or have access to most of MC's functions), but have my HTPC output the sound (connected to my amplifier/receiver).
Both, the HTPC and my webpad are a part of a little private network (15 PCs). About 20.000 mp3s are stored on another machine in the basement (also part of the same network). I am only interested in music playback/management.

I'd like to avoid any VNC, remote desktop or web-based solution. Also, a graphical interface on the webpad is important to me. But I'd still like to have access to more functions than glissando allows (or MC allows glissando), most importantly to browse via covers (as in the album view plugin). I'm using MainLobby2 as a "control center" for my HTPC and for my webpad.

The options I think I have are:
1.) use glissando; to me the most impressive and graphically most pleasing approach so far!
Disadvantages/questions:
a) (When) will Da5id/Dan(?) continue to develop it? (I read somewhere he has some more pressing things to care about at the moment. I hope all works out - or has worked out - fine for you!)
b) Currently some vital functions for large collections seem to be missing (browse by covers?)
2.) Launch MC on the webpad (400Mhz) and use hairstyle
Questions:
a) not sure whether the functions provided by hairstyle are enough to deal with such a large collection
b) no idea whether it's possible to run MC on the webpad but output the sound on the HTPC... That'd be a great solution/approach I think. I am sure hairstyle will be continued to be developed and features will be added.
Also, Id'd be great if all or at least the most important functions could be accessed via remote control (mx-500).

Maybe I'm completely on the wrong track here, maybe not. Anyways, I'd really appreciate if you could give me some ideas or hints. I am sure I am not the only one who tries to accomplish this or something similar. So thanks for any comments.
regards
Stephan
------------------------------------------------
Manu-/HTPC-/Webpad-/Mainlobby-/DVDlobby-/Girder-/Dscaler-/WatchTVpro-Addict...a

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using MC on Webpad & Output Sound via Server
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 05:35:11 am »

Our webremote plug-in will give you access from a browser.  That's worth setting up to shake out any problems in communications.

Then add NetRemote.  There are links from our "third part plug-ins" board.  See "boards" above.

Follow that to the AVSForum links on NetRemote.  There is a thread there that has over 400 messages.

The WebRemote plug-in you use must be updated if you switch to NetRemote.  It's called "MJ plug-in" I think on www.netremote.org.

Hairstyle will change significantly before release.

Good luck.

steph99

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 06:23:29 am »

Thanks Jim for answering...that was quick! 5 minutes!  ;D

I'll have a look at netremote, so far I thought it was for PPCs only.  :-[ Thanks a lot for that hint/link.

So do I understand you correctly:
a) right now, it is not possible to run MC on a webpad and output it's sound on another computer
b) apart from netremote, glissando and webremote, MC cannot be controled from another computer (except via RDS, VNC and the like...and girder)

If a) and b) are correct: are you considering using hairstyle on a remote computer to control MC on a server?

Sorry for beeing so persistent but to be honest, these (developments of) features are part of my buy/don't buy decision.  :-/
I wouldn't like to switch on my projector each time to pick my mp3s on my 120" screen  :-/
And I certainly won't connect my wifi-webpad to my receiver...  ::)

regards
Stephan
------------------------------------------------
Manu-/HTPC-/Webpad-/Mainlobby-/DVDlobby-/Girder-/Dscaler-/WatchTVpro-Addict...a

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 08:00:30 am »

a) right now, it is not possible to run MC on a webpad and output it's sound on another computer
b) apart from netremote, glissando and webremote, MC cannot be controled from another computer (except via RDS, VNC and the like...and girder)

If a) and b) are correct: are you considering using hairstyle on a remote computer to control MC on a server?  

You could run MC on a web tablet, but not output the sound to another PC.  But you can control MC from the web tablet when it's running on the other PC and accomplish the same thing.

I suggest you start to experiment a little.  It's the fastest way to learn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up