INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supported TV cards  (Read 4377 times)

richelesro

• Recent member
Supported TV cards
« on: November 09, 2002, 01:09:36 pm »

I have a laptop and so require a USB TV card for my computer.  I have an ATI TV Wonder USB, but I've been having problems with it.  I can't get ATI's programs to work, and MJ doesn't play any sound.

Does MJ support any other USB TV cards?  AVerMedia's AverTV USB (http://www.avermedia.com/products/tvtuner_AVerTV_usb.shtml) for example?
James Bailey

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Supported TV cards
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 01:25:05 pm »

I have not tested AverTV USB, so I do not know. Generally speaking if it uses WDM driver, it should work.

ATI TV Wonder USB should work. I have made sure this card works. For sound, you must configure it since this device does not use a physical connection between your TV device and your sound card.

Right click in the TV window while it is running. Choose TV Options/Configure TV. Click Audio Connection button. Uncheck the "There is a physical audio connection from my TV tuner card to my sound card" check box and click OK. You should get sound.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

richelesro

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 09:15:48 pm »

Thank you thank you thank you.
James Bailey

highwebl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 02:42:20 am »

I have an AverTV USB.  

I get video and sound, but an error message pops up saying that it failed to access TV tuner when it initially tries to scan channels.

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 04:23:48 am »

Try manually setting one station and then doing a scan.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 04:56:51 am »

I have an AverTV USB.  

I get video and sound, but an error message pops up saying that it failed to access TV tuner when it initially tries to scan channels.

"Failed to access TV tuner" error typically occurs when the TV device driver is not WDM. Do you know whether you have a WDM driver?

We support only devices with WDM drivers, except a few non-WDM ATI and Hauppauge drivers which will work on limited basis (no time-shifting).

Yaobing

highwebl

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2002, 07:25:48 pm »

"Failed to access TV tuner" error typically occurs when the TV device driver is not WDM. Do you know whether you have a WDM driver?  

Yes, it is a WDM driver.  

Try manually setting one station and then doing a scan.

Same problem with a manual station setup.

tej

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 06:49:46 am »

Sorry for being thick, but what are WDM drivers and how do I find out which video cards support them???

highwebl

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 01:18:15 pm »

what are WDM drivers and how do I find out which video cards support them

To put it as simply as possible, WDM is a new standard for making drivers for windows Millenium and 2000/XP.

In an ideal world, you device should have documentation to tell you what your driver is.  If not, go into your Device Manager.  Sometimes a device driver with include WDM in the name.  

Otherwise, open up the device properties and look at the file extensions.  Older drivers will have files with VDX extensions.  WDM drivers will have files with SYS extensions.

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 02:01:38 pm »

I have just installed the Media Center 9 and when I tired to put the settings for the TV tuner I might have selected the wrong program for my TV Tuner. How do I adjust the drivers for this ?  I don't see any way to do this...
I also tried to uninstall and reinstall but it didn't help...
BTW, I'm usinga dazzle digital video creator that I can tune my TV from my VCR. I also have a Mpeg TV station/USB Tuner. Do you know if this will work with Media Center 9 ?

:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 02:24:12 pm »

No idea on compatibility.

Try this.  Try to start TV.  If it won't start, try to add a channel manually.

If you can start it, configuration is available by a right click on the display.  See the TV instructions (here somewhere) for details.

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 02:31:42 pm »

I have tried to add a channel manually but it won't work...  :(

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 02:36:46 pm »

Yaobing normaly will tell you it will (or should) work if WDM drivers are installed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 02:41:08 pm »

Ok then how do know if I have WDM Drivers ?
Is there a way to check this ?  Also...how do I adjust my driver settings with Media Center ?   ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 02:50:47 pm »

>> Older drivers will have files with VDX extensions.
>> WDM drivers will have files with SYS extensions.
above is from another message

I don't know
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2003, 02:56:06 pm »

oh...ok how do I look up to see if the the files have VDX extensions or SYS extensions ?

Thanks  :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2003, 08:20:49 pm »

Ok then how do know if I have WDM Drivers ?
Is there a way to check this ?  Also...how do I adjust my driver settings with Media Center

Open your Device Manager and expand "Sound, video and game controllers" node. You should see a list of devices. Usually WDM drivers have "WDM" in their names. For example for the two TV cards I have on my machine, I have "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" and "Connecant's BtPCI WDM Video Capture".

Also the manufacturer of your TV device may tell you whether the driver is WDM. Go to the manufacturer's web site and try downloading an updated driver for your device, there may be a WDM driver available.

I have just installed the Media Center 9 and when I tired to put the settings for the TV tuner I might have selected the wrong program for my TV Tuner. How do I adjust the drivers for this ?  I don't see any way to do this...

I do not quite understand what you said here. Did you select a wrong device at the beginning and now want to change it? If so, right-click the video window while the TV program is running, choose TV Options->Devices...

If you can not get to the menu item because TV refuses to start, you can delete this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings
and start all over again.

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 07:54:53 am »

Yes I looked up my video device in the properties section of the device management, it is listed as a WDM...

I believe I did choose the wrong device at the beginning of the installation...I tried to right click while the
TV program is running but when I try to open a TV channel, I get the failed to access TV tuner error message...

I don't understand how I go about deleting the  registry key file you mentioned...  :)

Thanks......

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:20am »  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:Ok then how do know if I have WDM Drivers ?  
Is there a way to check this ?  Also...how do I adjust my driver settings with Media Center  

Open your Device Manager and expand "Sound, video and game controllers" node. You should see a list of devices. Usually WDM drivers have "WDM" in their names. For example for the two TV cards I have on my machine, I have "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" and "Connecant's BtPCI WDM Video Capture".

Also the manufacturer of your TV device may tell you whether the driver is WDM. Go to the manufacturer's web site and try downloading an updated driver for your device, there may be a WDM driver available.

Quote:I have just installed the Media Center 9 and when I tired to put the settings for the TV tuner I might have selected the wrong program for my TV Tuner. How do I adjust the drivers for this ?  I don't see any way to do this...  

I do not quite understand what you said here. Did you select a wrong device at the beginning and now want to change it? If so, right-click the video window while the TV program is running, choose TV Options->Devices...

If you can not get to the menu item because TV refuses to start, you can delete this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings
and start all over again.  

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2003, 12:16:40 pm »

I tried to right click while the TV program is running but when I try to open a TV channel, I get the failed to access TV tuner error message...

I don't understand how I go about deleting the  registry key file you mentioned...  :)

In your Channels list, do you see a couple of items called SVideo and Composite? They look like this on top of the list:

Name                 #
SVideo           InputSource 1
Composite    InputSource 2

If you see them, double-click one of them. It does not matter whether you have anything connected to SVideo or not (you will see black screen if you have no video source connected to it). Playing these "channels" does not require access to the TV tuner. So you may be able to use right-click menu to access Devices.

If you do not see these items, try adding one manually. Here is how:

Click Add button and select "Add Channel...". In the dialog window that appears, type SVideo in the Name box, select "Input Source" in the Type box, and select 1 for Number. Click OK.

You have now added an "Input Source", called SVideo. Double click it to try to run it.

The purpose here is to get TV started so you can access the Devices menu item.

If you still can not get it going by the above method, you will need to delete the registry key.

On lower left corner of your monitor click Start, and then choose Run ...

In the dialog that pops up, type regedit in the box next to the word "Open: " and click OK.

A window pops up. In the left pane, under My Computer, are several items. One of them is HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Expand it. You will see something similar to file folders that you see in Windows Explorer.

You will find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings

Select TV Settings, and hit Delete key on your keyboard. Answer "Yes" to the question "Are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?". Your TV Settings key is now deleted.

Start MC and go to TV again, try to play a channel, or try to scan for channels. You will be asked to select a video device. Make sure you select the correct one this time ;).

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2003, 01:59:32 pm »

ok I was able to delete the TV settings..........

however everytime I put the new settings in I get the same error message...Here is what I tried......

I choose either.......

SPCA506A Video Capture, Sunplus Version 2.50

or

DVC 80  Video Capture

Then I choose  Mixer Device

Total Recorder, Soundmax Digital audio or Dazzle DVC 80  Audio

then the the Audio Line I need to choose is-

Wave,  Line in, phone, Mono out, etc.

whatever I choose I am still getting the error message "Failed to access TV Tuner"

I have checked to see that my TV tuner is working...
is there anything else I can try ?
:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2003, 02:14:46 pm »

It would be worth checking to see if the manufacturer has newer drivers.

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2003, 02:38:57 pm »

I did recenlty update the driver to work with my Windows XP....maybe the beta program needs to get some bugs out of the program to work correctly....

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2003, 06:48:17 am »

I did recenlty update the driver to work with my Windows XP....maybe the beta program needs to get some bugs out of the program to work correctly....  

I am unfamiliar with either of your cards. Maybe there is something special about them. I can not say for sure what needs to be done. We have been trying to expand on supported devices, and maybe we will figure out something.

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2003, 03:08:09 pm »

I hope so...I have gone back to  Media Jukebox...
I find it easier to use...maybe later on when a new version that is not bata is released it will work better...
I also found the mp3 song files and direct streaming to work a lot easier at Media Jukebox. Do you know if there's plans to put a TV Tuner on Media Jukebox in the next update ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2003, 03:14:50 pm »

>> Do you know if there's plans to put a TV Tuner on
>> Media Jukebox in the next update ?
it was in Media Jukebox, but was taken out

the company said it will only be in Media Center from now on
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dave2003

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2003, 03:25:43 pm »

I see........I noticed when I install one program the other program uninstalls....Do you know if there's a way to run or at least have two available programs of Media Jukebox & Media Center on the desktop ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2003, 03:40:44 pm »

>> Do you know if there's a way to run or at
>> least have two available programs of
>> Media Jukebox & Media Center on the desktop ?
Yes, You Can't
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up