INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging Hairstyle and Web Remote?  (Read 1042 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Merging Hairstyle and Web Remote?
« on: January 19, 2003, 08:16:40 am »

Are you guys going to merge Hairstyle and Web remote at some point. (since it is XML based and all...)

If you can add thumbnails to hairstyle and if it can also be used remotely, MC will get even more powerful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Merging Hairstyle and Web Remote?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 09:42:41 am »

We expect to add more to Hairstyle and to integrate the WebRemote functions into MC before release.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 12:30:49 pm »

And that might also give us the possibility to run several web remote sessions on different ports (for multi-zone control)? Would be cool! I've got pretty good multi-zone control now (I've managed to get very reliable IR control of multi-zone as well, via Girder, mouse movement, clicks and button presses), but it delays every action about a second (from IR key press to reaction).

It took some time to get it right, I had to fiddle a lot with waits in between commands before it worked 100 % reliably (at the first attempts it was only about 80 % reliable, and everybody who's got a wife knows that this won't do!). Still it's to clumsy, even if it's reliable. So in addition to the multiple webremote ports a way to address the zones (even with command line commands) would be greatly appreciated. How about this:

This line would start zone 2 playback:
c:\program files\JRiver\media center\media center.exe -2 -play

This line would open playlist 1145 in zone 3.
c:\program files\JRiver\media center\media center.exe -3 -c:\playlists\1145.m3u

This might be one of the easiest way to do it, or am I totally off center here? Since all IR control goes from Girder, using command line swithces is done just as easily as any other method. 8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 06:54:16 pm »

Here is another possible extension of Web Remote:

SENARIO:
Multiple Computers are on network, mp3s are shared in one computer. The goal is to play the same music on all computers the same music. (i.e. to have the same music in the whole house).

Computer A1 (and possibly A2, A3,..) is connected to Server B. All of them are web remote enabled.

One webremote connects to all of them at once (they share the same library) and sends the same files to play. If their speakers are sufficiently seperated, you can have the same music in all rooms.

Ideally, there they could have some syncronization signals over the network (i.e. at song starts and ends), but this maybe difficult to implement.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 09:43:28 pm »

Sounds like a really nice way to do it when you choose that multi-zone approach (multiple computers by network), but I prefer my solution, which is one computer in a separate room (I've got my Internet server and the HTPC/Media server in one of the rooms next to my home theater) and run cables to the amps that I have in the different rooms.  :o
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Autoelph

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 04:59:42 am »

My setup is very similar to mastiffs', but I know that even through the monster cable line I've got a decent amount of line loss (about -5db) on my 30 ft run to the game room downstairs. Everything's running out balanced outputs, yet it still creates a -1 db output at the amp (minor, yes, but hey, I've been an audio producer\engineer\musician for 20 years and I can't stop thinking like one now). A web remote or "broadcast"  style ability keeps everything in digital realm, and keeps the analog line outs much shorter, and much cleaner. I would love MC9 to have that "broadcast" ability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up