INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Slider Missing  (Read 1812 times)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Volume Slider Missing
« on: January 17, 2003, 06:42:48 pm »

Has anyone else had this problem ?

The volume slider went missing about 5 releases ago. The progress slider is there and working ok, the text above it for status (bit-rate or whatever) and titles are there but there's no sign at all of the volume slider.

So, to change the volume, I have to keep calling the mixer thingy up.

Also, the following don't work :-

Ctrl++
Ctrl+-
Ctrl+M

I've tried changing the skin, re-installing the sound driver and un/re/installing MC as well as deleting the JRiver folders  but it has'nt made any difference.

This is a real pain in the botty and I'd be really pleased if someone has any ideas.

As a matter of interest, how can I get a really clean uninstall. For instance, if I uninstall and delete the JRiver folders and then re-install, it shows my original tree structure, my original font settings etc so presumably, a 'normal uninstall' does'nt actually uninstall everything.

Right, now I've totally confused everyone,  I'll leave it to the brainy guys and hope you have an idea for me....

Thanks - Jim

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.100 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 598 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 19 MB
Resource Info: System - 48 %, GDI - 76 %, User - 48 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PHILIPS  PCRW804            Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never fly the "A" model of anything...
Re: Volume Slider Missing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 12:00:19 pm »

Jollyjim,

My volume slider went missing too.  I see you have win98SE like me!

I too have the delete and crash problem so it's nice to see I'm not alone!

I'm waiting for the next build before I try to reload my audio drivers...just in case!

What audio card are you using?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 12:58:48 pm »

You don't need to uninstall, but try reinstalling both MC and the audio drivers or the software that came with the sound card.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 02:54:22 pm »

Hi Ian - thanks for replying. You're quite right, it's nice to know you're not the only one in the world - united we stand etc etc.

I don't have a separate sound card as far as I know. I think it's part of the motherboard. The properties for the audio device are VIA PCI Audio Controller. I previously wrote that I'd uninstalled/reinstalled the driver. I think it's more truthul to say that I disabled/enabled it. I'm not sure if that's different or not. I can't see how I can uninstall/reinstall.......(if ya see what I mean)

JimH - apart from the comment above re uninstall/disabling the sound driver etc, I think I've just about covered every different way of uninstalling/reinstalling/pleading/cursing MC but the volume slider is still playing hookey !!! This really is becoming bad news so anything you can come up with would be appreciated - thanks

Jim

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 03:12:17 pm »

Mine's been missing for a while, too. I also have Win98SE and have removed my sound card from the System Devices list and had Plug & Play reinstall them a couple of times to no avail. Reinstalling the software is not an option as it's preinstalled and my Recover disk doesn't work without HP's $25/hr help.
I can control the volume from the Volume Controls on the task bar and also from the fake potentiometer on the keyboard but other than playback, it has no effect on MC. I can record but I can't change the volume of the recorder. I'm sure it's my sound card installation because WavePurity acts the same way.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 05:00:18 pm »

I'm positive the problem lies with MC. Mine was working perfectly up until somewhere around version 90087. I had real problems and had to go back a coupla versions and then come forward again. When I got back to a 'workable' version, the slider had disappeared. I'm pretty sure it's something concerning being unable to get a complete and total uninstal. I'm pretty sure something has been corrupted somewhere which is not subject to the uninstal and therefore just remains there for the next instal. I'm hoping JRiver can cure it. It can't take a lot to find out what in the program causes the slider to appear and then to check back from there as to what it is reliant upon.  Here's hoping.........

Jim

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »

Forgot this bit .....are you both getting the same problem with the JRiver folder on the program list (from the start menu) being 'empty' ?. Also, the desktop icon is'nt showing after the instal? Not huge problems in themselves, but surely shows something wrong with the instal procedure

Jim

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 09:10:06 pm »

Jim,

Yeah...the last time I installed it the folder was empty.  I had to manually put the information in the start folders and create a shortcut.  Not a problem, as it was simple but it was a little time consuming.

I just deleted my .99 version and am going to install the .100 and re-install my audio drivers.  I'll let you know if it works with the volume slider! :)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 02:54:25 am »

Ian

Good Luck. I tried again a few times last night but it's just the same.

The trouble is with the 'empty' folder, is that you can't get hold of the JRiver uninstall and have to go through add/remove programs.

I also get a lot of crashes with MC, at times it goes straight into a reboot - it's got a mind of it's own.

This seems to be the worst version as far as W98 goes....

Off to see the new Jackie Chan film at the pictures....one of the advantages of having a teenage son !!

Jim

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2003, 06:57:05 am »

Ian and CVIII

I've posted in the main thread that editing has decided to no longer work for me. I have to go into properties to do it. I wonder if you have the same thing and it's unique to W98. If so, d'ya think it's worth starting a thread for W98/MC9 - if you're listening JimH, what do you think ?

Jim

Allan

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2003, 09:41:37 am »

I'm also having problems with the volume control. I'm using Windows ME upgraded from Windows 95 with an onboard sound chip disabled in the BIOS and a SB Live 5.1 board as my only sound source.

• The volume slider's missing.
  • The volume control keyboard shortcuts don't work.
  • The equivalent menu options don't work.
  • The mini-me volume slider responds to a mouse drag but doesn't alter the volume.
  • The mini-me mute button is ineffective.

Again, I suspect that it is a MC problem because the task bar volume control works fine as does Winamp.
Any connection with the new code for zones?

Allan

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.100 -- E:\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows Me
AMD Athlon 1539 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 117 MB
Resource Info: System - 39 %, GDI - 59 %, User - 39 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: No /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F:          RW-241040          Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2003, 06:57:58 pm »

JollyJim,

No luck on my volume slider.  I reloaded my SB Audigy drivers, rebooted, and voila...no volume slider.  I don't think I'm going to delete my audio software and reload it yet.  At least I can delete files now.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2003, 11:36:42 pm »

Hi Allan - welcome aboard. Following your post, I tried the mini-me function and found it acted exactly the same way as you describe. Are you getting the crashing and edit problems as well ?

Ian - frustrating innit !!!!!

I'm a bit stuck now for any sensible ideas of anything else worth trying. I'm also having trouble with importing and being unable to burn a cd. I guess it's all up to JRiver now - perhaps we need to keep this thread up top and visible.

By the way, the Jackie Chan film I mentioned yesterday (Tuxedo) is well worth a look particularly the impression he does of James Brown....

Have a nice Monday - it's grey, wet and miserable here in Peterborough, England.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up