INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.96 beta  (Read 5857 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.0.96 beta
« on: January 13, 2003, 01:16:22 pm »

Media Center 9.0.96 beta is available.

Many things will crash and not work.  If that worries you, please wait for a couple of weeks.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90096.exe  

Changes      

1. Fixed: YADB track lookup / submission wasn't working.
2. Fixed: Installation on Win9x / ME wasn't working.
3. Fixed: All untagged files would automatically share "Unknown.jpg" as their cover art after import.
4. Fixed: Memory leak caused by moving mouse around in a list.
5. Fixed: Shell extensions were not working.
6. NEW: CD Labeler supports unicode / international characters.
7. Fixed: CD Labeler was giving "Unrecognized file format" error message.
8. Fixed: Package installer would fail to install packages. (skins, plugins, etc.)
9. Fixed: Equalizer was not loading / saving settings properly.
10. Fixed: Converter tool was not working.
11. Fixed: Continuous and Shuffle states were not being saved.
12. Changed: Imported playlists now created in playlist group "Imported Playlists".
13. Fixed: Enabled / Disabled logic for "Print" and "Output" wasn't working.
14. Changed: Improved list tooltip text to be more friendly with partially tagged files and images.
15. Fixed: Tooltips would appear in places where they shouldn't. (ex. in a list column header)
16. Changed: Search control now selects all its text like a standard combobox on starting editing.
17. Fixed: Searches with <= and >= weren't working.

We're still getting more bugs reported than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.      

Thanks for your help and support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: Media Center 9.0.96 beta
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 01:19:20 pm »

Lots of fixes.  I'll give it a try.  Hopes it resolves some of my Cover Art tagging problems
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 01:26:35 pm »

On Windows ME, CD drive still shows completely blank when I have a CD in either of my CD drives.

IPOD plugin (42) still refuses to install.

sstrick

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 01:36:59 pm »

Still can not use media server. Seems to be a client side issue as it fails too quickly to be caused by a server problem

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 01:51:29 pm »

Still can not use media server. Seems to be a client side issue as it fails too quickly to be caused by a server problem

Thanks.  We know about that one and will get it this week.

sstrick

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2003, 01:56:51 pm »

still getting decoder failure when tring to upload to pda

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 02:01:13 pm »

For a summary of my system's 378,039 file problem, pls see the final entry in .095:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1042234426;start=50

I am not sure the 5-10 second skip forward is the Ipod plugin or just the last few very unstable versions of MC.  I think I'll let the experts at JRiver go through a week of version upgrades for both the plugin and MC and give it another go this upcoming weekend.

Would it be possible for you (JRiver) to retain the "Last Good Posting" of MC and Plug-ins?

I would feel better about moving forward if there were still links to MC9.0.88 and iPod .038. Although I saved the .088 download, I don't have access to the iPod .038 MJP or ZIP files.

If you'd leave the most-recent stable builds on the servers, and post links to them in the message releasing a new Beta, we'd all be able to downgrade with relative ease if problems appear.

It would be really cherry if you'd make a "Current Beta" web page and reference it when releasing a Beta. The "Current Beta" web page would contain links to the newest versions, as well as the last stable versions. If you made the new page, we could have our browsers check if for updates on a schedule.

thx...

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 02:36:16 pm »

Uninstalling from a .9x beta back to .88 is not as easy as it sounds due to the unicode changes.  It involves quite a bit of system file deletion/registry hacking not recommended for the average user...

Adam

PS Not saying you're the average user just that for most people this would not be appropriate...
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2003, 02:45:25 pm »

On opening MJ filetypes are still reverting back to Winamp - and I have never used Winamp for Audio, only ever MJ/MC

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 02:50:42 pm »

Uninstalling from a .9x beta back to .88 is not as easy as it sounds due to the unicode changes.  It involves quite a bit of system file deletion/registry hacking not recommended for the average user...

Understood. Thx for the reply.

I'll use PowerQuest's "Drive Image" utility to image my system partition. That way I can revert 100% to the current state. Unicode migration scares me... "Been there, done that."

That being said, will the Unicode changes affect compatibility with non-Unicode applications reading MP3 (etc.) files? Is the file header information stored in ASCII or Unicode?

Part of my Plug-in will read RIFF tags from WAV files to populate the MC database tags. Should I be concerned about Unicode vs. ASCII?

Will Unicode percolate through the IMJ Interface to Plug-ins? I'm storing _bstr_t entries (e.g. Path or Name) in the Registry using CRegKey and TSTRs.

TIA, Randy

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 03:21:27 pm »

Can't test whether the memory leak for audio analyze has been fixed seeing as MC refuses point blank to analyze any of my files.  It simply scrolls straight down the list without analyzing anything

Adam

RemyJ

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 04:03:22 pm »

Can't test whether the memory leak for audio analyze has been fixed seeing as MC refuses point blank to analyze any of my files.  It simply scrolls straight down the list without analyzing anything

Adam

The logic for the "skip analyzed files" got reversed.  Try swapping the state of the checkbox.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 04:42:58 pm »

I have been unable to burn an audio CD from a playlist with version 9.0.92 through 9.0.96 with the exception of one success this morning with 9.0.95  by not selecting "decode files directly to CD".  I have since installed 9.0.96 and with or without "decode files directly to CD", I am again unable to burn a CD, I receive the error message "cannot write medimum-incompatible format".   On several previous versions and the current version, the field showing percentage of CD used will not display until you click on another area and then return to see the  correct displayed percentage.  On the CD I was able to create this morning, the song titles showed up but the artist were all listed as various even though they were correctly listed as indiviual seperate artist on the playlist.  I have tried burning at 6X up to 16X and that does not seem to make any difference.

I like others am noticing a drastic percentage of CPU usage when MC is opened and play or any other activty is selected.  The percentage will spike up to 100 % and then settle back to around 30%.  The CPU usage indicated with no other programs opened and prior to opening MC will be indicated as 0 to 2 %.  

As I have posted several times on previous versions, I get pops and other assorted audio distortions when I first start playing a track but then I can stop and restart the play process and the sound quality improves.  This problem is still evident in version 9.0.96.  Thank you, Joe Karnes

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.96 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium II 448 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 161 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HP       CD-Writer+ 9700k   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

RemyJ

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 05:16:32 pm »

• Fixed The setting of "continuous play" isn't saved.
  • Fixed When MC starts it remembers the name of the custom equalizer preset but doesn't adjust the equalizer to match the settings saved with the preset.
  • Fixed Database searches and smartlists based on the date fields are all inoperative.
  • Fixed Converter simply errors out with "Failed to convert"
  • Fixed Can't export single playlists anymore.  The menu option is greyed out.

• New: The Recently Imported playlist has disappeared again and if you create one, it disappears with a restart.
  • New: The Analyze Audio "Skip Analyzed Files" checkbox is reversed.  It skips when unchecked.
  • New: The Analyze Audio progress bar caption always says "xxx / 0" where xxx is the current file.
  • New: Column widths aren't saving again.  You have to drag the column separator twice to get the first change to stick.

• View schemes based on artist with grouping size greater than 1 are broken.  The tree entry for the group has a special character in it and there are no entries in the group.  I.E.  A tree entry that should be "A-C" show up as "A?A-C" where ? is a "square block" character.
  • Can't connect to any media server.  The server appears to be listening and you can get to it with a browser but MC clients always return "Cannot establish connection to server".
  • Installing 9.0.95 blew away all my my custom view schemes.
  • Overflow handling always reverts to "clip protection"
  • Searching for media servers always results in "Invalid Media Server Information"
  • When "Decode directly to CD" is unchecked, and you burn more than 1 CD, the raw temp file is deleted and recreated for each CD instead of using the one created at the start of the first burn.  
  • In "File Naming and Location" you can't enter paths with leading or trailing periods.  I.E.  If I try to enter a path for track images like "m:\.coverart" the period gets stripped out as soon as I move the cursor out of the entry field. Any valid file system path should be allowed.
  • Can't turn off tooltips for the drop target and player controls.
  • MP3 Encoder settings are broken again.  If you select "custom" and press advanced, you get the quality selection dialog instead of the custom command line dialog.
  • Analyze audio during rip doesn't do anything.
  • When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%. (maybe not a "problem", but it's still a pain)
  • Ripping in digital secure mode hangs near the end of the last audio track if there is also a data track on the cd.  Have to cancel, wait for everything to release, then rip the last track in digital large buffer mode.  

Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
    Intel Pentium 4 2365 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 345 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
    Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
     Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     CD-RW  CRX175A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
     Drive E: TDK      CDRW4800B          Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
     Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 05:50:18 pm »

Bug (Still):

Navigating through the app still causes periodic loss of focus.  The MC9 icon now always stays there, but you can tell focus is being lost as it reverts to windows skin from the default MC9 skin.  As I said this happens throughout the program: when selecting a song, when selecting a playlist, when moving from one album to another, when right clicking an item.  It's intermittant, but happens about once ever 2-3 mouse clicks.

Bug(Still):
Creating a smartlist based on Date Imported does not display a valid list of dates.  It displays coded dates (I'm assuming).

Adam(S)

hertz

• Recent member
  • Hi there
Still cannot install plugins
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 09:25:03 pm »

CD labeler seems to work fine, but I still get the "failed to install package/More info: failed to register object" message when trying to install the Nomad Jukebox plugin.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2003, 09:28:24 pm »

Following up on my 378,039 entry database...

When I deleted the remaining 239,273 invalid entries, the program is behaving much better. Memory usage is now 3-8Mb; much more reasonable. It is more responsive, and the "Auto Smartlists (Music)" field takes only a few seconds to update the 6968 audio files in the DB. Both the main MC view and the API now show 8044 total files, as they should.

Note... I did try to overcome the White Window (Loss of Focus) problem using a plug-in. No go. I started another thread to manage the messages, but because I'm Apartment-threaded, the messages didn't propogate to my thread. I'm afraid you'll have to handle Windows messages within MC when you're doing big updates, like building "Auto Smartlists (Music)".

Thx for the help! ...Randy

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2003, 09:35:00 pm »

Navigating through the app still causes periodic loss of focus.  The MC9 icon now always stays there, but you can tell focus is being lost as it reverts to windows skin from the default MC9 skin.  As I said this happens throughout the program: when selecting a song, when selecting a playlist, when moving from one album to another, when right clicking an item.  It's intermittant, but happens about once ever 2-3 mouse clicks.

Adam...

Try using ~d=a in the "Media Library" Search qualifier. I found 300,000+ invalid records on my system. After deleting these entries, the "loss of focus" problem is minimal for me (but should still be addressed within MC).

Randy

(now it's time to take the iPod and drift off listening to Sade)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2003, 03:58:32 am »

1. No desktop icon
2. Volume control slider missing
3. Ctrl++ & ctrl+- not working for volume control

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 599 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 31 MB
Resource Info: System - 53 %, GDI - 73 %, User - 53 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Burning /  Drive E: PHILIPS  PCRW804            Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Autoelph

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2003, 06:00:44 am »

After finally upgrading from .88 to .96, I've seen MC memory usage doubled on startup.

Analyzing files does nothing, with "skip..." check box in either position.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.96 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 599 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 62 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: MITSUMI  CR-48X8TE          Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

Autoelph

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2003, 06:40:01 am »

Update previous: Analyzing files tool works if box unchecked with file that has already been analyzed, but no analyzing takes place on any file that has not been analyzed before.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2003, 08:06:11 am »

Analyzing files tool Is broken

It will not analyze any file not already analyzed, checked or unchecked, In 9.0.95 it worked.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
Le stink bug report
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2003, 08:11:04 am »

Download manger is broke
So much music so little time!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2003, 09:02:38 am »

Adam...

Try using ~d=a in the "Media Library" Search qualifier. I found 300,000+ invalid records on my system. After deleting these entries, the "loss of focus" problem is minimal for me (but should still be addressed within MC).

Randy

(now it's time to take the iPod and drift off listening to Sade)

I'll do that Randy.  But it begs another question: what were the invalid entries and how did they get there?  Corrupted database file?  Just curious.

Adam(S)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2003, 09:16:07 am »

I'll do that Randy.  But it begs another question: what were the invalid entries and how did they get there?  Corrupted database file?  Just curious.

8044 files are correct entries, Audio, Image or CD.
130722 files are pathed to E:\iPod_Control\Music\...
239273 files are pathed to F:\iPod_Control\Music\...

After a couple e-mails with Steve, the fix needs to be done in MC, not the iPod plug-in. My guess is that they are in the Temporary DB, which isn't usually shown. If you find invalid records, be sure to post your results here so Matt/JimH can see if their fix will address your situation.

I don't suppose you've thought about updating your on-line information for MC9 with some of the cool Smartlist stuff we've been exploring? It would be helpful to many.

Randy(P)  to Adam (S)hawley

(yeah, I saw that post, Mr. Hawley :) )

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2003, 09:21:38 am »

Okay, been playin with the new build since downloading it last night. Found a couple things that others have posted about so, I'm just going to reiterate. Analyze tool is completely broken, will not analyze files whether the skip box is checked or not. Also, since it won't analyze, it doesn't let me burn a CD, because everytime I try the analyze box opens, and when I select analyze, it just closes without doing anything. Here's my sys info.

Media Jukebox  9.0.96 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1533 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 487 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: TDK      CDRW321040B        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

farmore

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2003, 10:00:13 am »

From 175 files that are in the que, only 3 are analyzed. However they are not removed from the "Needs audio analysis" smartlist. :-/

JohnT

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2003, 11:37:27 am »

I have been unable to burn an audio CD from a playlist with version 9.0.92 through 9.0.96 with the exception of one success this morning with 9.0.95  by not selecting "decode files directly to CD".  
Please try burning at 4X speed. I just want to narrow down whether it's a simple throughput problem or something more complicated.

Thanks,
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2003, 11:40:05 am »

Also, since it won't analyze, it doesn't let me burn a CD, because everytime I try the analyze box opens, and when I select analyze, it just closes without doing anything.
In CD Writer settings, click on the DSP studio button and de-select the "Replay Gain" option. Then you should be able to burn even though the "analyse" tool isn't working.

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2003, 11:41:36 am »

As an update to my previous post, the burning problem happens when the "use dsp studio and playback settings" box is checked. Uncheck that box, the CD starts to burn normally, I didn't complete the burn, because the use playback and dsp settings option is a great feature, and I want to be able to use it when burning. PLEASE PLEASE fix this one:) Sys info is in previous post.
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

JohnT

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2003, 12:00:22 pm »

As an update to my previous post, the burning problem happens when the "use dsp studio and playback settings" box is checked. Uncheck that box, the CD starts to burn normally, I didn't complete the burn, because the use playback and dsp settings option is a great feature, and I want to be able to use it when burning. PLEASE PLEASE fix this one:) Sys info is in previous post.
I guess the "Skip analyzed files" checkbox (in the Analyze files dialog) is broken in this particular build (9.0.96). It operates the opposite of what it's supposed to. So, just uncheck that box, analyze the files, then when it completes, click the "Start" button in the burn dialog again to begin burning.

ZRocker

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2003, 12:18:27 pm »

Can somebody (at JRiver) please tell me if I enable "Use DSP & Playback settings" for a CD burn if MC has to analyze the tracks (for Replay Gain) to use this feature?

And, if so, why?  I mean if all I want to do is Crossfade (playback setting) and not use any DSP setting (nothing in DSP enabled for burning), must MC still analyze for 'something'?

I've been trying to use this feature forever now, but that analyze dialog keeps popping up if I attempt to (with crossfading only).

Please explain...thanks!

Update:
I just read a few of JohnT's post (above) and maybe this has been a bug for a while (I had Replay Gain disabled in DSP and MC was reversed and thinking RG was needed)...is that what is being said (above)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up