INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.95 beta  (Read 15213 times)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
Re: Media Center 9.0.95 beta
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2003, 03:17:25 pm »

Bug Report (build .95)
I noticed that when I use the import function in the tools menu I can import all my mpeg video files BUT there are no titles in the library.
HOWEVER, if I look at the songs list in the seperate view display, I can see all the song titles. This display is when you detach the video from the library. There is a little icon on the status bar on top that you can move down and see the file names.

Side Note: Being part of the development of an amazing program like MC is "goovy baby!!!"

Keep up the amazing work everyone!!  ;D

Gary

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2003, 04:51:18 pm »

I'm currently running 88; when I try to download 95, I get a message, "The Microsoft layer for unicode failed to initialize.  Please reinstall.  You are a moron."

I tried uninstalling MJ and redownload, and got the same message.  (OK, the "You are a moron" wasn't there this time).  I'm obviously doing something wrong here--can someone point me in the right direction ?  (I have windows ME).

Thanks in advance!

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2003, 06:14:05 pm »

The general performance of MC9 stealing all resources at startup (240 megs on my machine) and the continual loss of focus problem while navigating throughout the app seem to me to be huge issues.

MC9 uses 103Mb in my system once it gets going. When first loaded, it uses 38 Mb. Within another minute, or if I left-click Playlists, the memory increases to 103Mb.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2003, 07:08:07 pm »

As far as tracking down what is going on with the memory leak.  I run a QA department so I'll give you the same type of write up I'd expect one of my staff to be able to handle.

Official MC9 Overuse of Resources Write-up: Steps to Reproduce

1. Launch Task Manager.  Note PF Usage.
2. Launch MC9 Note PF Usage.

End of Report

Here's my system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.95 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 498 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 35 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     CD-RW  CRX175A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Adam(S)

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0.95 beta
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2003, 07:33:45 pm »

SQUEEK, SQUEEK, SQUEEK!!!!!!!

The general performance of MC9 stealing all resources at startup (240 megs on my machine) and the continual loss of focus problem while navigating throughout the app seem to me to be huge issues.

I mean are you guys not seeing this when you try out the builds?  

Can we please get some acknowledgement of it.  That's all I want....

Adam(s)

uh, i haven't experienced one of these memory leaks, or loose of focus issues...

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2003, 08:11:37 pm »

And as far as tracking down what is going on with the memory leak.  I run a QA department so I'll give you the same type of write up I'd expect one of my staff to be able to handle.

Official MC9 Memory Leak Write-up: Steps to Reproduce

1. Launch Task Manager.  Note PF Usage.
2. Launch MC9 Note PF Usage.

End of Report

What you wrote shows the overuse of resources. The memory leak in Audio Analysis is found by:

1. Start Task Mgr, look at PF.
2. Start Audio Analysis of 1000 files.
3. Watch memory usage increase with each file in Task Mgr.
4. Abort analysis before reaching 100-200 files.

Yann

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2003, 11:49:18 pm »

Just downloading 9.095. So bad choice  >:(
Previous release seemed Ok , but with this one, I can't playany MP3 from my HD. Just cliking on play and the XP bug report window suggested to close MC core application  ?
If, MC9 may not be used just for playing an MP3, I am not so sure it will be useful at all.

Yann

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2003, 12:46:38 am »

MediaCenter Core error....
:-/ Not sure! But I think it's related to the visualization mode. I'm trying to recover a defaulf display setting. Somebody knows how to do it???

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2003, 01:20:12 am »

This is present in MC9 .088. I haven't seen mention of it, so I suppose it's in .095.

If the Media View is partially populated and you right-click in the unpopulated area, nothing is selected and the Context Menu doesn't appear.

In MJ8, right-clicking in the unpopulated area was recognized as a "Select All" input and provided a Context Menu for Tools, etc. This was very useful.

Yann

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2003, 04:40:10 am »

MediaCenter Core error......

I've tried to use right click in the dispay window, but some elements of the menu was missing. Specially those allowing to change dispaly setting. I've found a way, uninstalling "visual studio" MJR plugin with the plug-in manager facility. Now, I can play MP3's. So, I'm now quite sure the problem is coming from the display "Vis Studio" plug-in. If I try to reinstall it, I cannot. I obtain an "unsupported plugin type" message.
Yesterday, I've try to change the visualization studio options this is certainly why I cannot play anything this morning.
So, may MC9.0.95 is good but not with the visual studio
MJR built-in plugin!
I hope this will be useful for others.  ;)

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2003, 05:19:01 am »

This is probably the worst bug report ever: I just scanned my library and it zipped through all of the songs. Even though it did go through them all it did not import all. Seven songs remain missing... I have to see which ones but that is gonna be quite a task. It is quite surprising since all files are in the same (mp3) format. Oh well...

Payam

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2003, 06:03:58 am »

NewHere

>> that is gonna be quite a task.
Not really

If all the files are lets say in

c:\My Music\Blaaa Blaaa Blaaa

Use The Rename Function And Allow It To Relocate The Files Also, But Select A New Path Like C:\Your Music\Blaaa Blaaa Blaaa

Anything Left In C:\My Music Will be the ones that were not imported
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2003, 06:30:40 am »

Bugs:
1. Here's one that's in been in MJ/MC for a long time.  When you are ripping a CD using Digital Secure setting, the dialog that pops up after the ripping completes telling you about 'how well' your secure ripping went can get easily hidden behind the Ripping status dialog.  All you have to do is multi-task while ripping and click on the Ripping status taskbar icon when MJ/MC is finished ripping and you don't see the secure statistics dialog (displaying quality info and such).  So, you are left clueless as to why MJ/MC won't finish ripping because the Ripping status dialog does not indicate it's finished and Cancel is your only choice and the Secure dialog does not have a taskbar icon...the user is 'lost'.  Seems like the Secure dialog should be modal or something and the Ripping dialog should not be accessable before confirming the Secure dialog.  Or, make the Secure dialog optional by putting a button on the Ripping dialog that can be pressed after ripping finishes to see the Secure ripping statististics.

2. Confirming MP3 encoding options with Custom quality does not work right anymore...when you select advanced, you do not get the Command-line options setting box (only get the generic qaulity dropdown list).

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2003, 06:49:59 am »

What you wrote shows the overuse of resources. The memory leak in Audio Analysis is found by:

1. Start Task Mgr, look at PF.
2. Start Audio Analysis of 1000 files.
3. Watch memory usage increase with each file in Task Mgr.
4. Abort analysis before reaching 100-200 files.

True iPod_devotee.  Was a little frustrated last night.  Consider it edited.  :)
Adam(S)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2003, 07:52:14 am »

The problem may be in the input plug-in, so it would be helpful to know what types of files you're analyzing.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2003, 09:45:58 am »

I tryed to install skins, this fails

i looked in the \media Center\ folder

and this is what you see (sort of)

||||||;Ischl
||||||;Red Planet
||||||;SonixMedia_Mega

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0.95 beta
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2003, 12:30:49 pm »

Last night i selected 1600 mp3's to scan for replay gain.

this morning

MC9 AWOL (Missing).

Windows is telling me it increated the paging memory.

when i checked with MC about 800 of the files had been scaned and the replay gain applyed.

With an earlier version, I had a similar experience. I had observed linear increase in memory requirement during scan.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
Long delays; Recently imported lists
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2003, 12:34:19 pm »

1.  When I click on certain categories in the tree, MC9's CPU usage jumps to as high as 99%, and will freeze for 5 to 10 seconds.  The delay seems to be directly proportional to the number of files within the branch or its sub-branches.

It happens when clicking on:
- "Media Library"
- "Audio"
- any music View Scheme
- only the larger categories within view schemes: e.g., "(Unassigned)", "Rock"
- "Playlists"
- "Auto Smartlists (music)"
- within Auto Smartlists: "All Music", "Bitrate -- high bitrate tracks", and the "Task" branches

My music library is very large, but I didn't have this problem on MJ8.  

2.  The Recently Imported auto smartlists don't work.  They're empty.

3.  "Export All Playlists..." shuts down MC9.  Also, the "..." should be removed from this menu item.  This menu item (when it was working) executed without a dialogue box.

4.  My "File Location" view scheme was removed when I installed the new MC9 release.

5.  "Toggle List Style" cycles through 3 views.  This is confusing because "toggle" generally means switching between two states.  One solution would be to remove "Toggle" and list the names of the List Styles in a submenu.

Requests:

1.  When using "Find" (ctrl-f), hitting the "Enter" key after the search term automatically replaces the Playing Now list with the search results.

Please remove this automatic action.  In most Windows applications, hitting "Enter" only gives you the search results.

If that's not acceptable, please create a new "Behavior" option after "Double-click" and include "Do nothing" in the list of actions.

2.  Clicking on a music or picture file in Windows Explorer replaces the Playing Now list.

Please make it follow the "Behavior" option setting for "Double-click", or create another "Behavior" item.  It's frustrating to lose the Playing Now list so often.

3.  Please increase the size of the file path entry boxes (e.g., c:\Documents and Settings\...) as well as the dialogue boxes that contain them (e.g., "Import Media Files").  And perhaps also make the latter resizable, with size memory.

4.  Please use smooth scrolling for the icons in the left panel of the Options window.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2003, 12:52:34 pm »

Selecting "Properties" for a music file turns on the new right panel, but it doesn't switch the panel to "Properties".  If the right panel was most recently showing "Playlists", it'll stay on "Playlists".

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2003, 02:01:14 pm »

Selecting "Properties" for a music file turns on the new right panel, but it doesn't switch the panel to "Properties".  If the right panel was most recently showing "Playlists", it'll stay on "Playlists".

The spec was changed recently so that the properties are shown only when a specific file or files are selected. What you are probably seeing is the result before any title is selected. The reason for the change is so you don't accidentally change the properties for all files.
From the desk of: wonmug

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2003, 03:08:07 pm »

The spec was changed recently so that the properties are shown only when a specific file or files are selected. What you are probably seeing is the result before any title is selected. The reason for the change is so you don't accidentally change the properties for all files.

Perhaps I don't understand...
I select a song.  
It's highlighted.  
I right-click on the song to get the short-cut menu.
I select "Properties..."
The right panel appears.
It shows the "Playlists" page, and not the "Properties" page.
That original song is still highlighted.

I switch the right panel to the "Format" page and then close the panel.
I repeat the process, and the "Fomat"page appears, and not "Properties".

The "Properties" page should appear, right?

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2003, 03:35:04 pm »

Perhaps I don't understand...
I select a song.  
It's highlighted.  
I right-click on the song to get the short-cut menu.
I select "Properties..."
The right panel appears.
It shows the "Playlists" page, and not the "Properties" page.
That original song is still highlighted.

I switch the right panel to the "Format" page and then close the panel.
I repeat the process, and the "Fomat"page appears, and not "Properties".

The "Properties" page should appear, right?

Sorry, I'm the one that didn't understand. I think what you need to do is use the arrows at the top of the panel to switch the view to Properties. The next time, it should stick. (I hope  :P )
From the desk of: wonmug

ncklump

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2003, 03:59:24 pm »

The CD Labeler doesn't  recognize "any" file format, thus it is inoperable in this build.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2003, 01:46:29 am »

I have "Start Media Jukebox (sic) in: Media Library" with "Expand subfolders" turned on. When I start MC, the tree is expanded, but it then immediately collapses.

If I have the "File Properties->Image" tab open an use Rotate on an image file, the thumbnail updates but not the file properties window.

Arrow keys don't work properly in thumbnail mode. Up and down work OK, but left and right only access the first two columns.

I can't pause a slideshow. Neither Ctrl-P nor the pause button do anything.

When using "Rename Files from Properties...", MC9 will not create directories if the base path is a UNC path. It says "Failed to update the following files..."

Keyboard problems:
Tab only takes you from the tree to the search field, not to the tracks.  
When you're in the tree, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-W moves the focus to the search field for some reason  
Pressing Alt-Enter to bring up the file properties window puts keyboard focus on the General tab, allowing you to expand and collapse it, but tab away and you can't get back to it. In fact, there's no way to expand a collapsed tab with the keyboard  

Why has Image Location been removed from Find and Replace?  

Matt promised us aspect ratio control for video playback.  Consider yourselves reminded:  
\http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=displa y;num=1023711829

REQUEST: Could a view scheme have a "Default view mode" option. I'd rather see thumbnails for my images, but a detailed list for my music

REQUEST: I love the way a frame from a video file is taken for the thumbnail, but could this be customisable? The default seems to be 1 second in, but for a lot of films, this is still black. I'd like to be able to shuttle in to the title sequence or a representative frame and do "Set as thumbnail frame"

REQUEST: If you have a grouping on an alphabetical field, you see
A-D
E-H
I-L
etc.
If you press F on the keyboard, it skips over E-H down to the next thing that begins with F. If you have something in the E-H group that begins with F, it would be nice if it would open that group and select it. Hope that makes sense  

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2003, 05:17:38 am »

Same problem with toolbar:

I have added "previous", "next" and "refresh" to my toolbar so I can look at this forum through Media Center Webview in the Start menu.  The "NEXT" is greyed out....can see it is there but can't use it anymore.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2003, 05:45:23 am »

Other problems with the "Find" function (ctrl-F) in MC9

In most Windows applications, ctrl-F brings up the "Find" text box with the complete previous search term already selected, so that when you begin typing the new search term, the previous previous term is replaced.

If the text box does not have "focus" and the user clicks on it, the entire contents of the box again should automatically be selected.

Doubling clicking on a word in the text box should automatically select the entire word, even if the text box didn't already have focus.

In some, but not all apps, triple clicking automatically selects the entire line.

Making the UI more consistent with other Windows apps should make it easier to use.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2003, 06:31:55 am »

After getting past the unicode thing, I finally got 95 installed on my system running windows ME.  However, my CD drive shows empty when I put a CD in it--nothing at all is detected.  I am running MC95 on my windows NT equipped computer in my office, and it detects the disc in my cd drive--this looks like it may be a problem related to MC95 and Windows ME--any other windows ME users having the same problem?

(I tried to start a Windows ME/MC95 thread, but it was locked.)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2003, 10:05:28 am »

Using Visual C++ 6 with MC9.0.088. 7750 files in MC database.

When requesting an IMJFilesAutomation pointer from an IMJPlaylistAutomation object, MC becomes unresponsive for about 9 seconds on my 2.5Ghz system. During that time, if you drag another window across MC, the underlying frame is repainted, but the MC view is not repainted.

I don't know if this is of interest to you, but when single-stepping through
IMJFilesAutomationPtr pFiles = pPlaylist->GetFiles();

the first time in a session, the debug window shows:
Analyzed album info (378039 files): 9406 ms

Is this proper for a database with 7750 entries? The unresponsive period occurs during this call. Subsequent calls return very quickly, presumably because the album info has been analyzed recently.

This appears to be unrelated to the specifics of my Plug-in. If I modify SleepTimer to make a similar request (pMJ, pMJPlaylists, pMJPlaylist, pMJFiles), the same symptoms appear.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2003, 10:21:09 am »

Analyzed album info (378039 files): 9406 ms

Somehow you have 378,039 files in your DB. (including removable, temp, etc.)

Search using this to see them all:

~d=a

Let us know what they all are.  Explorer or CD files maybe?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2003, 11:33:05 am »

Here's an issue in presentation:

Look at the expansion of MP3 files. It is part of a Location element in the View Scheme. The two paths you can see are:

E:\MP3 files\Alt Early MP3
     E:\MP3 files\Alt Music MP3

The View Scheme setup is:
   Location (root)
   Mood
   File type

Alt Music MP3 has an Artist/Album directory structure, and expands differently than the Alt Early MP3 item. However, because the icons are all the same, it's difficult to understand the structure at first glance.

Is it possible to have a Drive icon at the E: level, Folder icons below that, and then different icons for other fields? The CD used here makes a good Album icon, and a couple small people would make a good Artist icon (assuming that Artist or Album was an element in the View Scheme, as opposed to a directory in a Location).

As it is now, you can't really tell if an entry is a Folder that's part of the directory hieracrchy, or an Artist or Album or other field structured into the View Scheme. Even if most of the "seconday" View Scheme elements used the same icon, it would really help understand the tree view.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2003, 12:37:06 pm »

Somehow you have 378,039 files in your DB. (including removable, temp, etc.)

Search using this to see them all:
    ~d=a
Let us know what they all are.  Explorer or CD files maybe?

Good suggestion.

8044 files are correct entries, Audio, Image or CD.
130722 files are pathed to E:\iPod_Control\Music\...
239273 files are pathed to F:\iPod_Control\Music\...

I changed my system configuration during the iPod beta test, setting up a new hard drive as E: to hold APE files. The iPod became F: thereafter.

Another user reported MC consuming 250Mb. Is it possible this user had the iPod plug-in? Perhaps the generic HH plug-in behaves similarly? Perhaps Removable Storage? Food for thought...

I'll now delete all those entries and see what happens in TaskMgr (memory usage now up to 120Mb).

Well... this deletion is taking a long time. I'm typing while it deletes. Memory usage is up to 153Mb, about 7 minutes into the delete of the first 130722 items. CPU 98-99%.

It took 40 minutes to delete those items. Memory usage is at 109Mb w/o restarting MC9. I'm going to post this, and copy it to Steve on iPod Help II. There are still 239273 invalid entries. I'm going to try to make a modeless "Querying Database" dialog that can be presented to handle Windows messages during an inquiry. My hope is to prevent the White Window problem should this occur elsewhere.

In the meantime, would you be kind enough to help me discriminate between an empty Playlist Group and an empty Playlist using IMJPlaylistAutomation? Please see:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dev;action=display;num=1042484190;start=0

Many thanks, Randy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up