INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD Help.  (Read 24498 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD Help.
« on: December 24, 2002, 09:10:02 am »

For anyone looking for iPod information, please be sure you have downloaded the latest Plug-in (3.0.36) and are running either the latest MJ v 8 or preferrably, MC version 9.0.88 or 89.

Also, for extremely helpful documentation (thanks to Adam) go to ...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/  

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
Re: IPOD Help.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 01:43:20 pm »

It is a very nicely done overview, but it's unfortunately missing the one thing I need--how to dismount the ipod.  I have no problems whatsoever downloading all my songs and playlists, but I don't know how to dismount the ipod  (I'm running windows millenium).  There is no option to dismount when I right click on the G  (ipod) drive.  After I synchronize, the ipod says "do not disconnect."  I finally got frustrated and just disconnected it; the ipod had all my stuff that I downloaded on it, but my computer proceeded to tell me how much of an idiot I am for  not ejecting the device...Help me, Help me!

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2002, 02:00:34 pm »

Ok I might have just answered my own question. It seems the second I plug the ipod in, I get the do not disconnect wether I'm running MJ or not.  I synched, then simply shut the computer down, and no more threatening messages from my pc (the ipod just went back to the apple logo--never got an ok to disconnect though).  This ok?  Everything is working beautifully, so I'm hoping this is alright....

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2002, 05:47:32 pm »

cct1, here are two ways to dismount your iPod:

1:  find the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray, near your clock, and click it.  It'll look like this:    When you click it, a context menu will pop up, showing you the various devices that you can stop.  Select your iPod (it could very well be the only device on the list), and click.  Your iPod will dismount and you're free to unplug.

2:  Download this zipfile.  Extract it to wherever you like and make a shortcut to the .exe within.  It's an .exe written by a fellow iPodder, and posted over in the forums at ipodlounge.com.  Here's a link to the thread where it was first posted.  Bear in mind, that it's just a little program made by one guy, so it could potentially crash your computer, make your hair fall out, and cause the stars to crash down from the sky.  ;)  I've been using it successfully, though, and I love it.  I've got one of the special buttons (the Calculator button) on my Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro mapped to run it.  One press action, baby!

Either way you choose, remember this:  If you are actively interacting with your iPod, you will likely get an error if you try to dismount it, saying approximately "Can't stop the iPod now, try again later."  If that happens, just close whatever window or program it is that's using your iPod and try again.

Also remember that if you unplug your iPod before you dismount it, you will have to reboot your computer to use your iPod again, as it is already loaded into your system's memory and can't remount until it's unloaded.

Whew!  There's a typing binge that'd make Adam proud!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2002, 09:18:22 pm »

<snip>
Whew!  There's a typing binge that'd make Adam proud!
</snip>

;D

(how's that for brevity)

Adam

TimB

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 03:31:27 am »

make your hair fall out

So that's the person I should blame. :)

Happy Holidays!!!!
Merry Christmas!!!!
...and MMJB go to heck! ;)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Kurt Young

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2002, 09:36:56 am »

;D

(how's that for brevity)

Adam

Who are you and what have you done with Adam!?  ;)

(ps, Steve -- sorry for dragging us off topic a bit... just havin a little "I'm not at work today" fun, :D)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TegaJones

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2002, 11:16:42 am »

Hello,

I've got a similar problem, I'm new to MJ8 so I just got the latest version as well as the latest iPod plugin v.35 I believe, sorry I'm away from my home computer...but last night I was ripping cd's and when I'd go to upload them to my iPod it would copy maybe 2 full cd's then would just overwrite existing songs on the iPod with each subsequent disc upload so at most I've only got 2 cd's worth of music on my iPod.  I tried reformatting the iPod drive thru MJ8 but this didn't resolve anything.  Can anyone shed some light?

Much appreciated,

TegaJones

ps.  I'm using the Send To function to drop upload items onto my iPod prior to uploading them

thks

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2002, 12:33:54 pm »

Kurt--Thanks alot!!!  Took me awhile to find the icon  (it's only there when the Ipod is plugged in--DUH!!) and all is well.  I couldn't get the zip file to run properly--I looked at the text file at the beginning, and it looks like it is for windows XP--didn't see windows millenium listed there.  But the "safely remove ipod" icon is good enough for me anyway--life is good!!

I feel stupid  (lack of common sense is such a terrible thing), yet somehow relieved as I think I'm doing everything correctly now.  And I must say, even though the plugin and MC 9 are still in beta, they are working fantastic for me  (It was even working fine when I wasn't ejecting it properly).  I never even bothered to download Music Match software--used it in the past, even looked at the newer versions online, still doesn't compare to MC or MJ......

Again, thanks for your help--one of the reasons I love MJ so much is support on these forums!!

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2002, 02:03:08 pm »

I got my iPod today, and wow, the iPod plug-in for Media Center works ridiculously well.  :)  Good job Steve, I was getting 8-9MB/s on my transfers where as Ephpod was only giving me 5-6MB/s.  As has been recommended before, I think transfer rates should be displayed in MB/s instead of KB/s, although seeing it in KB/s supplements my nerdiness. :D

jkprime

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2002, 02:11:44 pm »

Using the latest plugin 3.036 and MC 9.089, when I click on the icon under the handhelds section, I get the following error "Stream Read Error".  Then Media Core shuts down (crashes).

Previous versions of the plug in did not exhibit this behaviour, any ideas?

Athlon Xp1800+
Abit KR7a
Win XP Pro sp1
Audigy Firewire
ATI Radeon 9700pro

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2002, 05:23:57 pm »

As has been recommended before, I think transfer rates should be displayed in MB/s instead of KB/s, although seeing it in KB/s supplements my nerdiness. :D

That was me!! See Steve, I'm not alone.  Well, not completely.....

Adam

TimB

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2002, 07:02:35 pm »

That was me!! See Steve, I'm not alone.  Well, not completely.....

Adam
I agree too.

:)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2002, 10:09:39 pm »

I just got an iPod for Christmas (yay!), and have spent the last many hours fiddling around, and have somehow boxed myself into a corner.

Forgive the length - I thought I'd provide as much detail as I could, but if this is too much, let me know. :)

I'll start from the "beginning", and hopefully you guys'll be able to help me out. Right out of the box I connected the iPod to MJ and formatted, downloaded a song or two, and everything was fine. On trying to download another song, however, I ran into some duplication issue and ended up with all my songs disapearing, etc., but it was then that I realized that I didn't have the latest version of the iPod plug in.

So, after upgrading to the latest iPod plug in, I tried again. I formatted, and then added a song. That went fine. I disconnected, went to show everybody my one song (yay again!), and then re-connected (I did 'dismount' properly before), and fired up MC - still all ok. I proceeded to add several (~20) songs, via highlighting from various places (artist name, specific song, etc.), by using Send To. I then clicked on the iPod (G: for me), and clicked upload.

I was prompted with the overwrite dialog that I read some about in the last thread, even though I did not reselect the initial song that I had added. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I also figured it could be that some of the songs I selected appeared in more than one album from the same artist. So, not wanting a song to take up twice (or more) its size on the unit, I selected overwrite (perhaps this was my mistake?).

When I disconnected, I found that everything was ok in MC, but many of the songs did not appear on the iPod. So I formatted, and as it finished was reminded a lot of what I have been reading on the iPod thread(s), and many times the answer was to make sure the latest versions of everything are installed. Well, lo and behold, I was running a slightly older version of MC, though Help->Check for Updates told me that there were none.

So I then upgraded MC, and went to try again, except that I could not even get the correct right-click pop-up menu to appear when I tried on my iPod (G:).  Through My Computer I have verified that there are no mp3s in any of the folders, but I am pretty sure my DB is screwed up, because if I disconnect the unit I still show some of the songs, and I can "play" them as usual except no sound comes out.

I have made my iPod_control directory available at www.leaguehq.net/iPodTesting/iPod_Control. All that I can see on MC is Calendars and Contacts subfolders, with the ipod_created_[samples] in the Contacts folder. How can I re-format to try again? Have I made sense (hopefully)? Was clicking overwrite my problem in the first place, or should that have worked, and the new version should take care of that?

Please let me know if I can be more helpful or more clear, and thanks heaps for the help.

Bob

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2002, 10:47:53 pm »

Well, I've continued fiddling, and here's where I am at now - I tried doing a full restore using iPod Updater, and I still do not get MC to give me the possibilty to format for formatting for MC.

Further, something I forgot to mention in the last post (hard to believe there's anything, I know), but which was true and still holds true, is that it seems as though MC is finding a copy of almost all of my songs on the iPod (AFTER the full restore, etc.). If I open up Media Library and my Artist View Scheme and click on most artists (or just click Media Library and look at everything), the artist's songs appear duplicated. One copy is the copy on my desktop's HDD, and the other copy it says is on the iPod, in one of the F directories! I'm at a loss for this one, especially after the full restore.

Thanks again all for any help.
Bob

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2002, 07:19:01 am »

Hey Bob, you've actually done pretty good so far.  Just one mistake (not your fault).  When you choose upgrade from w/in MC9, it actually upgraded you to version 8.  Well, that would be a downgrade actually.  That's why you lost the right-click options on the iPod.  The plugin really works best w/version 9.

So, what I would do is download and re-install version 9.  First, I'd uninstall version 8 just to clean things up.

Then, instead of using the Upload command, let's try syncing.

Make a Playlist with the songs you want.  Save it.  Then right-click the iPod icon and select Synchronize.  From that window, select the Playlist(s) you make and click OK.  It will upload fine.

Steve will look into this I'm sure, but I prefer the sync option right now as it seems more stable.

Hope that helps.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2002, 07:20:10 am »

Hello all.

Kurt,

Thanks for the tips. I will try to get some eject fuctionality worked into the Plug-in soon.

TegaJones,

I cannot duplicate this problem. Can you try the following test.

1) Format the iPod by right-clicking on the iPod drive and selecting "Format".

2) Send 5 .mp3 files to the iPod using "Send-to".

3) Send 10 .mp3 files to iPod with 5 being the ones you just sent.

You should be prompted by the box asking if you want to overwrite duplicates. No matter what you select, you should end up with 10 files on your iPod. Please let me know if this is not the case after this test.

Adam and Tim,

The next build of the Plug-in will now display transfers as MB/s

Bob,

Now that you have MC 9.0.88(?) installed, try going to Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld and select Portable Drives and click "Uninstall". After you have done this, go to the website and redownlod the iPod Plug-in. If you are still stuck, email me( steve @ jriver.com) and I will try to get you going. In your last post if you are saying that MC is aware of your files on iPod from within Media Library, you must have imported the files into the Library. This is maybe not the best idea. Again, drop me an email and I can help you.

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2002, 08:43:44 am »

Many thanks to Adam and Steve - "re-installing" the plug-in as Steve suggested totally worked, and I apparently had accidentally (in my 4am stupor) re-imported everything into the Library.

I'm one happy camper, thanks again one and all.

I can't say enough how much I love MJ/MC and the company/support that comes with it, so I'll just say it one more time ;D.

Thanks to all.

Bob

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2002, 09:15:51 am »

A few things...

As Adam brought up in the old thread, I have a few smartlists with Sort=Random, and when I resynchronize these playlists the order on the iPod remains the same.

Another thing...  sometimes, if I'm browsing Playlists, and then right-click on my iPod's drive letter in Media Center and go to resynchronize my playlists, I get the error "Cannot find plug-in 'Playlists.'" or sometimes "Cannot find plug-in '<Last playlist I viewed>.'"  I can fix this by closing the iPod tree.

Other than those minor things, everything works as it should.

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2002, 10:37:10 am »

Nekura,

The random issue will have to wait until we can do a new build of MC 9. At that time I can make modifications that will allow playlist order to reshuffle when a smartlist is random.

The "Cannot Find Plugins" thing you are seeing is already improved, but not available until the next build of 9. The solution for now is to be sure you left click on the drive letter before right-clicking and selecting synchronize.

Thanks,

Steve

nekura

• Recent member
  • dark-natured.
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2002, 12:39:19 pm »

Steve, excellent.  I'm looking forward to the next builds of Media Center 9 (not to say I wasn't in the first place, it's always good to see bugfixes and the like).

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2002, 04:27:44 pm »

Alright got another question...Is there any way to restore the ipod without installing the MMJB software?  Will there  ever be a way to restore through MC 9  (Perhaps it isn't even possible)?

The reason I'm asking is my backlight is either on or off--if I put any of the settings  (one second, two second, etc) it just stays on all the time.  I figure a restore would fix it, as the backlight was working before.  But I thought I'd check to see if there was a way to restore without using MMJB.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2002, 04:40:14 pm »

Just found another post recommending a reset rather than a restore for the backlight problem  (which apparently is a fairly common disorder)--that fixed it with no problem.  But I'm still curious if there is any way to restore the ipod other than with MMJB....

Kurt Young

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2002, 05:09:52 pm »

Yes there is:  (link)

(Realized that it might not have been obvious that this was a link before, hehe)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2002, 05:04:18 am »

Kurt,

Thanks for the link for cct1.

JKPrime,

I forgot to respond yesterday. Are you still stuck? If so, can you remove the Portable Drives Plugin and try redownloading the iPod Plugin? If you have no luck, email me at steve @ jriver.com.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2002, 06:48:15 am »

Once again, thanks Kurt!

SteveG

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2002, 11:45:00 am »

Hello All,

A new Plug-in today(3.0.37). It includes:

1) A right click option on a playlist to shuffle the list. (Eventually this will be expanded to handle reordering of playlists completely)

2) Transfer speeds in MB/sec rather thand KB/sec

Have a good weekend.

Steve

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2002, 12:12:39 pm »

Todays build looks great--a couple of things though:

1.  When I synch, I now get a page that lists all the files, and at the top it says "Cancel Transfer?"  

So I have to click on "No" at the bottom of the page.  My natural inclination is to check "Yes", which of course cancels the synch.  Double negatives are hard for me to work with, IMHO it would be better if "Cancel Transfer?" was replaced with "OK to Transfer?", then we could click "yes" instead of "no" to transfer--I think it would be more intuitive if it was set up like this, but it's not a huge deal to me; I can adapt.

2.  Noticed this on the earlier plugin build as well; perhaps someone else has commented on this  (and perhaps I am doing something wrong here).  I am currently adding smartlists like crazy  (those suckers are really addictive).  I have a group list titled "My Music", and all the folders in it are smartlists, the first one consisting of all my MP3s  (Suggested by someone in here earlier--great idea by the way), and the rest different smartlists.  When I add a new smartlist, it shows up in the proper place alphabetically in the "My Music" folder, and when I synch, it's in the proper order alphabetically on the synch page.  However, when I synch to the ipod, any newly created smartlist always shows up at the very bottom of my ipod playlists, rather than in its proper location alphabetically.

I can get around this problem by deleting all the smartlists except the "All mp3" smartlist on the ipod, synching, dismounting, remounting, and resynching with all the playlists checked again--now they will all be there in alphabetical order  (including the newly placed ones).  It's kind of a hassle to do it this way though...

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2002, 10:38:08 pm »

I ripped a 10 track CD today and can only get the last 3 tracks to synch.

When watching the synch process (transfer all files)it is as if the iPOD thinks the tracks are all aready there.

This may explain why I am about 300 tracks short on the iPOD of my library's 2500 songs. I have been told that the difference is explained by songs being double counted if they are in a playlist but my playlist tracks don't total 300.

The tracks are listed below as I know that there have been concerns about some track names and the characters used.

The album name is: Living Ornaments 81 Disc 2 of 2.

I get the same result whetther using full sync or 'Send to': i.e. only the last 3 files sync.

All tracks were ripped from the same CD at the same time. 160 High Quality.

I had to enter the tag data manually as the look up failed to find a match.

I ripped another CD right after and it syncs fine.

I'm using XP with Windows iPOD and MC 9.0.88 with 3.0.32 iPOD plug-in.

I hope this is all the info you need to work towards resolving this.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2002, 08:17:11 am »

Mindracing:

Can you update your iPod plugin?  You're running a very old version.  Steve's up to version .37 now and you're still on .32.

He changes these about 3 times a week while we're in beta, so it's best to check back here often.

Try the upgrade (just install it over the old one) and see if that solves it.

Adam

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2002, 10:27:15 am »

OK. I'm now on the latest iPOD plug-in build.

Deleted the 'rogue' album from both the iPOD and my MC library.

Performed a full sync transfer of all files.

Exactly the same result!

?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2002, 11:20:55 am »

OK. I'm now on the latest iPOD plug-in build.

Deleted the 'rogue' album from both the iPOD and my MC library.

Performed a full sync transfer of all files.

Exactly the same result!

?

OK, well we tried the obvious.  I think Steve's going to have to try and look at this one.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2002, 12:25:52 pm »

Any way to disable that dupicate file message page I get when I synchronize  (The one that has the "Cancel Transfer?"  at the top)?  I have an "All MP3" file, so all my smartlists essentially have duplicated files  (Which, if I understand correctly, doesn't mean the actual Mp3 is duplicated, as the playlists are only pointers).  If I have the "All Mp3" file included on my synch with my other smartlists, there are now so many duplicated files I can't even get to the bottom of the page to click on the "no" button, even when I move it all the way to the top of the screen.

So, is there either a way to disable the "duplicate file message" or an easy way move it (maybe I'm just missing something simple here) so that I can get to the bottom of it to click on "no" to allow the transfer?  Otherwise, I have to synch the "All Mp3" file and my other smartlists seperately.  

I don't want to sound like too much of a whiner--these (and the alphabetical thing I posted the other day) are relatively minor issues--I absolutely love the combination of MC9/Ipod!!!

TegaJones

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2002, 05:18:49 pm »

SteveG,

I did the scenario you recommended, I formatted the iPod, copied 5 songs, then copied 10 more mp3's with 5 being the previous 5 copied.  All in all, the iPod shows 10 songs on it's drive.  The problem I'm faced with is I still cannot copy more than 2 cd's to the iPod.  I'm doing the Send to function in order to copy my music to the iPod....as I'm writing this I realize my problem, at least the cause of my problem, those discs which were ripped and recognized automatically (i.e. YADB labelled the discs) copy as they should to the iPod, no 2 disc limit, everything transfers.  My problem lies with the discs which weren't recognized during the rip, I went in after the copy was ripped to my hard disk and used MJ to rename the artist and song titles which shows up as it should in the file sharing tree on my pc's hard disk but reading the path in MJ shows the following as an example

c:\music\Stevie Wonder\Best of Part 1\Unknown Artist - Unknown Title - 1 -Track 1.mp3

can anyone tell me how to get this to read as it should?  I've got about 4 cd's like this I can't move to the iPod b/c it thinks it's a duplicate and overwrites the previous cd set up like above.  In short, how does someone successfully rip a cd not recognized by the YADB's or CDDB's?  I appreciate your help.

Regards,

TegaJ

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2002, 06:39:31 pm »

can anyone tell me how to get this to read as it should?  I've got about 4 cd's like this I can't move to the iPod b/c it thinks it's a duplicate and overwrites the previous cd set up like above.  In short, how does someone successfully rip a cd not recognized by the YADB's or CDDB's?  I appreciate your help.

Regards,

TegaJ

Easy fix:  Once you have the songs tagged correctly in MC, just hightlight them, right-click and select Tools>Rename Files From Properties.

It will allow you to set the way you want them rename (i.e. Artist - Album - Track# - Track Name.mp3) and it will even create Artist/Album directories for you should you check off that option.

Then reupload (and check "Delete files Not sync'd) so those old files get taken off the ipod.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2002, 07:49:13 am »

cct1,

Try redownloading the plug-in (even though you have the latest version). I think you got a version that was posted only for a very short period of time and it is not the one I recommend.

TegaJones,

Adam is right on the money. Hopefully you are all set.

Mindracing,

My best guess is that the FileNames for the files that are transferring are duplicated on the iPod. Perhaps something generic like Unknown Album\Unknown Artist.... is to blame.  I am going to work on improving this today.  You could try changing the FileName of one of the files to see if this is the problem.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2002, 10:42:51 am »

Everyone,

A new Plug-in (3.0.38 ) with modifications for allowing multiple files with same filename to exist on iPod. This will allow C:\Steve\MyFile.mp3 and C:\Grove\MyFile.mp3 to both exist on iPod.  This should remove the reported problems of less than the total number of files synching to iPod.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2002, 12:23:09 pm »

Steve,

Notes during testing iPod 3.0.38:

1. iPod has 2535 songs on it, using old names.
2. Installed .38
3. Renamed "02a - Dreams.mp3" back to "02 - Dreams.mp3"
4. Tried sync as-is, as a worst-case test. New set had only 2382 songs.
   Checked "Delete files..." and "Update Tags".
   Ran for about 20 minutes, always showing about 28-33 minutes remaining.
   Ended gracefully with "Insufficient memory" error.

Apparently files that are to be removed, are removed at the end of the process rather than the beginning. Is it possible/reasonable to perform the deletion first? If so, can you consider that when advising the user of adequate memory before the sync?

1. Reformat iPod from MC9.
2. Perform sync, only "Update Tags" selected.
3. Interrupt sync just to be nasty, restart sync.
4. Sync ends in about 35 minutes, 11.3Gb, ~8.3Mbps.
5. All 2382 files are there including "duplicate file"; filenames show change in plug-in.
   All Playlists are correct.

Good solution!!!    Happy

Randy

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2002, 01:17:19 pm »

Steve,

Today's plugin got rid of the "cancel transfer?" issue,  but if I add a smartlist and synch  (even after collapsing the file tree and reopening it to ensure that the new smartlist is in the proper location alphabetically), once again, on the synch page, all the playlists are in alphabetical order, but the most recently added playlist always shows up on the very bottom of my playlists when I open the playlist menu on the ipod itself.

I can get around this problem by deleting all the smartlists except the "All mp3" smartlist on the ipod, synching, then resynching with all the smartlists (And the all mp3 smartlist) checked on the synch screen--now all the lists are there, and in alphabetical order.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2002, 01:36:53 pm »

Steve:

Just wondering if this new feature is going to cause a problem or if you've figured it out already.

Here's the issue:

If you have song's with "foreign" characters in their file name, MC renames them (I think w/a # sign in the offending character).

OK, that works good.  We do know that there is a problem when you sync w/Delete Files on these types of files now.  Namely that it reuploads these songs even though they are already on the iPod (essentially overwriting them) because I guess you check to see what's on the iPod doesn't take into account the changed file name.  Small bug, but it is a pain for folks w/lots of foreign characters in their file names (you know, people from other countries ;) )

So, just wondering, will this allowing of dupes now cause another problem with files that were renamed due to foreign characters?

Long post, short question, typical of me....    ::)

Adam

mconnell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2002, 06:52:50 pm »

Having problems with latest plugin ( MC 9.0.89 and 3.0.38 ). After syncing I have files on my iPod but they arn't viewable in the MC window - see picture. Tried this many times - also re-fromated. Any ideas?

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2002, 07:05:42 am »

cct1,

I will fix the alphabetizing. If not today, then when I get back on Monday (I am out the rest of the week.)

Adam,

I cannot duplicate the synch w/ delete foreign character issue. I must be doing something wrong. Can you give me some steps to see this.

mcconnell,

Right-click on your drive letter and select "Show all files". I noticed in your screen shot that "Queued Files" is in the task bar which means you will only see files that are queued.

Steve

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2002, 07:41:10 am »

Fantastic!

With the latest iPOD plug-in I now have every track on my iPOD for the first time and the song count tallies with MC.

Will it always write every song when doing a 'transfer all files' or just the missing ones like the last build?

Keep up the good work.

(incidentally, it took 1h 50 min to transfer 2166 songs. Is this slow or normal?

SteveG

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2002, 08:30:50 am »

Mindracing,

Just the missing ones.

In regards to the speed, it depends on how big the files are. The time you report does seem slow.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2002, 08:57:43 am »

I did about 1100 files in under 15 minutes last weekend.  I just chose synchronize.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2002, 09:08:42 am »

Adam,

I cannot duplicate the synch w/ delete foreign character issue. I must be doing something wrong. Can you give me some steps to see this.

Steve:

I don't know how to duplicate this on the most recent build because strangeness is afoot not.

Anyway, the old way to duplicate was to do this:

1. Name some songs w/foreign characters
2. Name some songs w/o foreign characters
3. Sync
4. Sync again w/Delete Files Checked

Now, in theory, no files should be re-uploaded because they are all on the iPod already. What was happening before was that all the songs that had foreign characters were getting re-uploaded.  Even though they already existed on the iPod.  Make sense?

Now, as far as this new build.  I had problems.  I did my usual sync (no changes, no new songs) to test it out.  I selected "Delete files" just for the fun of it.  In theory it should have screamed through (no uploading anything) but it didn't.  It started from song 1 and uploaded them all.  You can tell by the speed.  Eventually it bombed out because the iPod ran out of space.  It was adding new versions of songs.  Duplicates I imagine.

Somehow, this version isn't working right as far as I'm concerned.  All the songs were already on my iPod, I should have seen the sync scream, but it didn't.

Not sure I can explain it any better, let me know if you need more details.

SteveG

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2002, 09:48:07 am »

Adam,

Can you try formatting and starting clean. I changed the filenaming scheme to better acommodate duplicate filenames. If you had files on your iPod from before getting the new version, this would explain what you are seeing because you will end up with one copy from the old version and one from the new.

Thanks,
Steve.

PS I am out of here in an hour and won't be back until Monday.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2002, 10:12:28 am »

Will do Steve, that totally makes sense.

Oh, one other thing....

I just love Smartlists... did I ever tell you  that?  ;)

I have a great one for a random day of music at work that excludes stuff I don't wanna hear at work and is always a fresh new list of tunes...ah sweet, sweet, smarlists.   ;D ;D

SteveG

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2002, 10:26:19 am »

Adam,

You are the Johnny Appleseed of Smartlists. Go forth.

Everyone,

Happy New Year. I will check the board through the end of the week, but will be away from work and unable to do much.  Have a great week and we can pick up on Monday.

Steve

tou

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2002, 11:45:13 am »

Dee Jay Pod
Steve and I have been trying to solve the sync problem we were having . You know the one where the counter runs out before the all the files transfer and then we get "Mediacore has encountered a problem and needs to close" Well consider it solved!
It has to do with the"comment field" including information separated by a 'l'. The solution is to change the 'l' to something else.
Steve says he modify this in the next build to solve the problem.

I did so and it works great now.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up