INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.89 beta  (Read 27133 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 9.0.89 beta
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2002, 02:39:05 pm »

Renaming WNASPI.DLL works great so far. Rips work well.
This complaint:
-Clicking AutoSmartlists locks MC9 up. CTRL+ALT+DEL is the only way out. Whazup?
-Can't convert to MP3 from ape. It decodes and then just sits there.
-When trying to record, I can get all the way to "Test" and then get

Same setup as before when "record" worked fine.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.89 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 534 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 65 MB
Resource Info: System - 36 %, GDI - 59 %, User - 36 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F:          40X12X48 CD-RW     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
That's right.
I'm cool.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2002, 05:38:03 pm »

BPM and Intensity filters are not working on Smartlists.

Select a smartlist where BPM >= any value, returns songs that don't match that criteria.

Same with Intensity filters.

Adam

ZRocker

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2002, 06:12:44 pm »

Bugs (another internal MC burner one):
1. The MC internal burner is burning the wrong date for the Last Modification Date on data CD burns.  The internal burner is burning the Creation Date and the Last Mod Date as the current date and time.  This is not good...especially if you rely on being able to review your data CD backups (made with MC) and know when you actually last modified backed-up files.

2. Simply renaming files in MC's File Properties (or using Rename From File Properties) causes MC to modify a file's Last Modification Date...this is NOT right.  MC should not (once again) be updating a file's tag data if nothing has changed in the tag data (wasteful I/Os and misleading if you use Last Mod Date to mean something).

Request:
1. On the File Properties tab, can we get the Name field moved to the top of the General section (just above where Album shows currently at the top?  This is just  'how it should be' and, besides, on the Format tab Name is listed first there (under Id3v1 fields).  I see everything is alphabetical on the File Properties tab, but having the Name (only) at the top of General would just be much 'nicer' or 'friendlier'.

gspark

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2002, 10:44:49 pm »

Have used version 8 for a while and upgraded to MC 9 on receipt of an e-mail advising me to do this. Dont understand the upgrade licencing fee of 7.98 and how to take advantage of this by 31st Dec. I dont get prompted for this and checking my registration details, I seem registered.
Should I just shut up about this?

Mr.Cluster

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2002, 11:27:35 pm »

Hello,

I keep getting an error message when installing any of the new media center versions, including this one.
I then click ok, and the installation continues without any further problems.

"Installing plugins" - "installing window media components" - " windows media format 7.1 audio file setup" -  "Error registering the OCX D:WINDOWS\System32\3codeca.acm"

My system constists out of:
P4 2Ghz 256Mb DDRAM
60GB HDD
Windows XP home edition

Best regards,
Mr.Cluster (Belgium)

Media Center 9.0.89 beta is available.    

This is beta software -- some things don't work, some things may crash, and your database and tags may not be totally safe.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download here:    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90089.exe

Changes    

1. Fixed: Internal CD burner was creating corrupted data CD's under certain circumstances.
2. Fixed: Internal CD burner now writes files to data CD's in proper order (according to list).
3. Fixed: TV recording from Media Scheduler didn't work.

We're still getting more bugs reported than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.    

Thanks for your help and support.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2002, 04:31:26 am »

I tryed to convert a wav, that was taged in the database to MP3, the wave was not correctly taged after it was converted to MP3, the only tag it had was Songname and the song name was the file name.

i think this was reported a few months ago.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2002, 04:53:54 am »

Bugs:
1. This version of MC no longer allows me to erase my CD-RWs (previous versions did).  MC always disables the Erase option (I can't click on it).

2. Checking the CD burn option 'Apply Playback and DSP settings' and attempting to burn an audio CD does not allow you to burn a CD.  When you click the Start buttion, MC just pops up the Audio Analysis dialog...I want to burn, not Analyze (silly MC)...I click Exit and MC just returns without burning...argh!!!

3. At some point during normal MC use, Ctrl-A to select all stopped working.  Restarting MC made Ctrl-A start working again.  I had burned an audio CD and was listening to it...shortly after that I noticed Ctrl-A wasn't working.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.89 -- E:\Programs\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 45 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 47 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive X:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive X: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2002, 05:09:40 am »

• My Computer : Renaming a folder in My Computer changes the paths for files residing in subfolders of that folder incorrectly. For instance :

I have files with a pathname of  ...My Music\Complete Albums\Metallica\Master of Puppets\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.

Changing the name of the folder Complete Albums to just Albums results in files with pathnames of ...My Music\Albums\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.

but the files still physically reside in ...My Music\Albums\Metallica\Master of Puppets\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.

• Playing Now : If I re-sort Playing Now by clicking on one of the headers, then choose Update Playback Order while the currently playing file is not the first on in the list, then Playing Now forgets which file is playing (even though it's still playing) and the Next button ceases to work. If I click Previous, then playback begins at the first file.

c405b

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2002, 09:22:40 am »

My media center said my 30 days expired even though I bought a ver 9 license.  When I go through the forums I have difficulty finding the latest version of MediaCenter to download.  The version I finally downloaded is the 9.0.  Where exactly do you keep links to the latest versions of MediaCenter.  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2002, 09:35:39 am »

Where exactly do you keep links to the latest versions of MediaCenter.

At the top of this thread

normaly the first message in this forum.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2002, 09:41:33 am »

The link to the last version of 9 that we think is stable is on the downloads page.  It's just below the download button for 8.0.  Versions here may be more current but they are also more risky.

c405b

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2002, 11:18:14 am »

The link to the last version of 9 that we think is stable is on the downloads page.  It's just below the download button for 8.0.  Versions here may be more current but they are also more risky.

Found it.  Thank you

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2002, 12:10:15 pm »

I would like to apologize for a post I did in another thread, where I wondered if we were being fooled. I was a little angry because I received an email the other day saying that with a MJ 8.0 license I could upgrade to MC 9.0 by paying $ 7.98. However I read before that a MJ 8.0 license bought before December 1st was valid for MC 9.0.
Probably I didnt read it well enough.
Anyway I did upgrade to MC 9.0.88 and all went well.
I assume the $ 7.98 the email mentioned, was referring to a MJ 8.0 license bought AFTER December 1st ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2002, 12:19:30 pm »

Thanks, Ton.  No problem.  I think the problem was that I didn't write it well enough.  Any V8 license purchased by December 3 will work with V9 without additional cost.  Details are at:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

ZRocker

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2002, 05:47:43 pm »

Update:
After an uninstall of MC, removal of all JRiver files and registry entries, and reinstall of MC, I figured out why I'm having problems with using MC features that involve renaming and retrieving tag info from filenames and the [TRACK #] and [NAME] bugs I've reported.

If you rename column headings (via Options > Tree & View Settings > Edit button), this breaks various functions in MC that 'need' the original column names to work.  I renamed 'Track #' as 'T#' and MC could no longer match [TRACK #] in templates.  So, I figured that out and used [T#] (hand-typed) and that showed another MC bug:  MC replaced [T#] with the track # (on a rename), but failed to preceed it with a 0 (to make it two-digits always).  I had also renamed the 'Name' column as 'Song Title'...MC no longer could match [NAME].

So, MC needs to be made a little smarter and not breakdown when a user renames columns.  [TRACK #] should always work in templates and not require the user to type in the custom column names (for built-in MC columns).  Otherwise, it becomes very easy to break MC and get frustrated...argh!!

ZRocker

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2002, 07:29:34 pm »

Bugs (more burner-related ones):
1. I attempted a multi-session CD burn with MC and MC burned the second session, but did not import the first session (on a data CD burn).  Thus, the first session's files where lost.  I burned the first session in Easy CD Creater v5.0 Platinum (Track-at-Once...keep disk open).  Then, I attempted to add more data files (mp3s) using MC...MC showed the other folder and files prior to the burn, but did not import it on the burn (so, lost the 1st session).

2. On the multi-session attempt, MC did not take into account the amount of space already used in the 1st session when displaying disk stats (space available).  So, MC said I had more available (free) space than I actually had...because the first session took up about 200meg already.

ZRocker

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2002, 02:51:11 am »

Bugs (after clean MC install):
1. The Continuous setting is not remembered after exiting MC and restarting MC...is always off after a restart even though I set it On.  Upon registry review, I see that MC is not maintaining (not even added) the "ContinousPlay" entry.  NOTE:  MC misspells the word Continuous in this registry entry (not a typo).

2. After normal MC use (playing MP3s, editing ID3 tags and burning a disk or two), the Delete and Rename toolbar buttons & shortcut keys were permanently disabled...I couldn't delete tracks from Playing Now...had to use the Edit menu items.  After restarting MC, these features were available again.

riouser

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2002, 03:10:16 pm »

My system (HP Vectra w/Win98 ) shipped with a DVD player and decoder. However, I when I upgraded to XP (Standard issue from MS), HP stated the the 98 decoder that shipped with the system would not support XP. I indend on using the MJMC as my player so only need to get a decoder. Is there as way to purchase just a decoder without the player. I have trided WinDVD and PowerDVD but they both come with the players.

-Monty

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2002, 03:19:57 pm »

Johnt of JRiver has posted a link a few times to a free source.  I don't remember the name, but try a search here and at google.

pburkett

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2002, 04:35:33 am »

Just experienced this with 0.89, when I was in a burning session. MC just went away.

I have also experienced this, but it is much worse. In my case it locks up my computer.  I have to do a nasty power off to recover and a couple of times multiple restarts were required.  Scary! >:(

nila

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2002, 07:09:24 am »

BUG
  • When sorting by filename it's doing it like this:

etc

It's not really a bug so much but it'd be nice if it would sort it properly.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2002, 07:40:51 am »

Nila,
Is the track # the first part of the file name? To get around this, 1, 2, 3, etc. needs to become 01, 02, 03...
If you have files with three digit  numbers then you need to add another 0, i.e. 001, 002, 003. Not knowing your actual file structure, I can't really get more specific as to how to go about this change. I use a program called Flash Renamer \http://www.rlvision.com/
to accomplish such things as I'm suggesting. I have version 3.02 which is freeware. I noticed on the website that there is a newer version but it's no longer free.
CVIII

You also might be able to use Media Center to renumber the tracks and then "rename files from properties". I haven't tried this for this specific purpose but it has worked well for other similar tasks.
That's right.
I'm cool.

BrianL80

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2002, 04:57:41 pm »

Bug in 9.0.88:

When ripping, if the base path is a UNC path to a different machine, it stops with "Copying..." as the status on the first file. The progress bar is blank. It appears that there is no network activity, no CD drive activity, and Media Jukebox.exe is not taking an above-normal amount of CPU time.

BrianL80

« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2002, 05:16:56 pm »

Additional Bug in 9.0.88:

In the Ripping File Location options dialog, if a path is directly typed in to the "Base Path" field, a folder is created for each character entered into the field. For example, if the path is "C:\Ripped", folders called "C:\R", "C:\Ri", "C:\Rip", etc. are created.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2002, 05:40:44 pm »

In the Ripping File Location options dialog, if a path is directly typed in to the "Base Path" field, a folder is created for each character entered into the field. For example, if the path is "C:\Ripped", folders called "C:\R", "C:\Ri", "C:\Rip", etc. are created.

The same problem shows up on my system.

WinXP 5.1 SP1, MC 9.0.88   iPod 3.0.36

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2002, 10:30:24 pm »

• mini-me : Playlist sliders aren't scrolling the playlist. If you use the arrow keys to scroll, the slider DOES update appropriately, but using the slider to scroll does nothing.

JohnT

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2002, 04:45:25 am »

I have also experienced this, but it is much worse. In my case it locks up my computer.  I have to do a nasty power off to recover and a couple of times multiple restarts were required.  Scary! >:(
Has this always happened when burning audio CD's, or have data CD's had the problem as well? If just audio, can you tell if there's a correlation with the file format? Is it more likely to happen with wma, or mp3 files for example? Did it occur at the beginning or end of the burn, or just randomly in the middle?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2002, 12:35:40 pm »

Bug:
1. If you have two soundcards installed and the 2nd soundcard is configured for playback, MC will play audio to the correct soundcard but the volume control remains with the 1st soundcard.  With Stop mode set to Fadeout (*any*), you can watch MC controlling the wrong soundcard (via the Windows's Volume Control dialog).

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2002, 01:01:09 pm »

-I can convert from .wav to .ape and back but I can't convert either one to anything else. Same with ripping. I can rip to .wav or .ape but that's it. No MP3, no MPEGplus, no Ogg Vorbis. I have updated all plug-ins from the web site.

-When using download Manager with "import downloaded" checked, if MC9 is not running, there is a Windows popup Media Jukebox error. When MC9 is running, it imports fine. Is this a bug?

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 535 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 109 MB
Resource Info: System - 40 %, GDI - 69 %, User - 40 %

Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F:  40X12X48 CD-RW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
[/size]
That's right.
I'm cool.

ZRocker

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2002, 07:13:35 pm »

Bugs:
1. Can not rip CDs to MP3s.  MC just displays 'Copying' status and stalls for ever (w/Rip & Encode simultaneously set)...MC can't seem to start the Lame.exe (not in task list).  If you turn off Rip & Encode simultaneously, MC creates the intermediate .Wav file then stalls...again, no Lame.exe started.  Used the External encoder with Lame.exe and it worked.

2. Using the External encoder with Lame.exe, if you define tag params on the custom command-line (like --tc "this is a comment"), MC appears to be overwriting the comment (--tc) with blanks (or null) after Lame.exe finishes because no comments are there.  This used to work in MJ 7.0...not sure about MJ 8.0 as I stopped using the External encoder then.

3. MC is not reading the comment field with adding new MP3s w/ID3v1.1 tags only in them.  I added/imported 1000+ MP3s with comments in them in ID3v1.1 tags (only) and MC displayed blanks (no comments)...I verified the MP3s did indeed have comments in them (using other MP3 tagger tools).  The Track Info's Format tab does show the comments...that's the only place MC reflects them thought.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
BUG: Memory leak in analyse
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2002, 10:15:09 pm »

Tested in 9.0.88
Virtual memory increases linearly with "analyse" in MJ9.

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2002, 01:51:55 am »

Virtual memory increases linearly with "analyse" in MJ9

This may be why I got crashes when analysing more than 200 files at once.

Payam

nila

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2002, 02:33:00 am »

Try clicking on a CD drive to try rip it. It says updating info then just sits there crashed. Never breaks out.

ZRocker

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2002, 08:55:57 am »

Bugs:
1. When using the External Encoder to rip & encode, MC does not show the External Encoder's configured settings when you try to reconfigure the settings.  The settings (EXE path and params) are in the registry...MC is just not displaying them when you go to reconfigure the settings.  Not sure if MC would have used the saved registry settings or not...I just configured the settings again prior to ripping this second time.

2. While burning a data CD using MC and listening to a track that was to be burned, MC reported and error (Cannot open file) for the currently playing track.  It looks like MC's player is not sharing so the burner can open the file (to burn it too).  Also, MC crashed when the data CD burn finished, but that's 'normal' for MC these days after a burn.

3. While building a data CD burn list, using drag-and-drop with non-imported files viewed in MC My Computer does not play 'nice'.  If you drag files/folders to the target icon w/CD, DVD & Handhelds active, nothing happens (nothing is added to the burn list).  If you drag and drop to the CD-RW node directly, MC imports then adds the tracks...ah what?!...don't import please...just add to the burn list (un-imported).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2002, 06:09:21 pm »

Can somebody else confirm this?

If I let MJ play while displaying a track info template that has a visualization window in it (DJ 2, MJ Luna, etc), MJ will crash after some undetermined amount of time.

Henrik L

• Recent member
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2002, 12:30:14 am »

Convert Errors :

Converting APE to OGG :

The APE file had this info..
Artist : Britney Spears
Track Name : Stronger

After the conversion it had this ...
Artist : Britney Spears
Track Name : Britney Spears - Stronger

This happens to every file I do a conversion on...

Converting from OGG to OGG :

The file is named wrong, it has a '(1)' at the end of the file.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Programmer\J River\Media Center\

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2002, 01:47:12 am »

Can somebody else confirm this?

If I let MJ play while displaying a track info template that has a visualization window in it (DJ 2, MJ Luna, etc), MJ will crash after some undetermined amount of time.

well if you make tag changes Playing now will crash. i think delting a file from the list will also crash MC on my system
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2002, 06:42:27 am »

Well, I'm talking about JUST playback.  I can start playback and let it go overnight or whatever. If I'm just displaying visualizations or a trackinfo that DOESN'T contain visualizations, then it will play forever. But if I switch to a trackinfo WITH a visualization, then MC will crash after playing for a while. Sometimes I get message about the Media Core and sometimes MC just closes all on it's own.

I'm doing anything else on the PC when this happens. So it's not editting properties or deleting a file in Playing Now causing this...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2002, 07:19:05 am »

Well, I'm talking about JUST playback.  I can start playback and let it go overnight or whatever. If I'm just displaying visualizations or a trackinfo that DOESN'T contain visualizations, then it will play forever. But if I switch to a trackinfo WITH a visualization, then MC will crash after playing for a while. Sometimes I get message about the Media Core and sometimes MC just closes all on it's own.

I'm doing anything else on the PC when this happens. So it's not editting properties or deleting a file in Playing Now causing this...

well it could be many things, but that in mind

when you play a track it does update the plays count, last played field etc....
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Korbinian_Meindl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2002, 02:03:47 pm »

BUG/REQUEST in MC 9.0.88:
I had all my mp3 files in a directory called d:\mp3 with
many subdirectories.
I tried to move the whole directory-structure to the new drive f: with the internal My Computer Mangement of MC.
MC moved all files in the root directory of f:\ and lost
the directory structure.
This was certainly not what I wanted.

ZRocker

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2002, 03:45:21 am »

Bugs:
1.  The Locate File in View Scheme function does not work if the selected view scheme has the 'Add a group level' feature turned on for one of its component properties.

2. Please see my biggest gripe HERE.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2003, 04:11:37 am »

A little bug...

When editing text in the visualization studio the text box only shows the first letter meaning you have to clear and start again rather than being able to edit existing text...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2003, 07:42:13 am »

I've primarily done one thing with MC 9 -- rip CDs and move them onto my iPod. Generally speaking I have been successful, the iPod xfer works great. However, overall this is one of the buggiest pieces of software I've ever used. And MC 9 is not considerably worse in the things I've experienced than MJ 8, so that worries me a bit (and keeps me from purchasing).

Basically, the program crashes itself or my computer VERY often. I finally figured out that I can't really do anything else on the computer while I'm ripping, that helped. But, for instance, when it can't find CD info on YADDB, it will get caught in a loop of analysing devices and flips on and off of a CD interminably -- playing the first few seconds of a track and then going to analysing devices, then playing the first few seconds of a track, etc. If I can jump in and start ripping or pop the CD out, it will stop, but often closing and reopening MC 9 is not enough to stop this and I have to reboot the machine.

After ripping several CDs, it often just freezes or freezes the computer and requires a reset (with the reset button).

On my Win98SE machine, if I open the Properties window, I can only change one item, then I have to close Properties and reopen it to change another item -- or at least click out of the window and then back in. This doesn't happen on a WinXP machine.

I've been hesitant to use a lot more features -- to try burning or creating playlists or anything, because I'm afraid it's just gonna come crashing down. Also, I'd be happy to start adding to the YADDB, since I'm amazed at some of what is missing, but I can't really see how to do that.

A stupid question -- if I have the Properties window open, is there some way to scroll through from one track to the next (like when I need to manually add the track names)? When I press the forward arrow -- this seems like the obvious icon to do what I want -- it goes to playlist. I don't even understand what that is for. . .

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2003, 07:45:16 am »

Please post your system info from MC/Help and copy your message above to a new thread.  You may have a Windows stability problem that is not entirely MC.

Updating your Windows OS from IE/Tools/Windows update would be a good place to start.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2003, 12:42:35 pm »

I've been testing MC9.0.88 (with iPod plug-in .36/.38) for two weeks. I would like to file this report, based on working with about 4000 songs, some from WAV files and others ripped from CDs.

This message got too long for the forum, so I'm posting it as two messages. This one is bugs, the next will be requests.

Bugs:

1. Create a View Scheme. Add "Duration" as the first category. Choose "Add a grouping level", size 1, with "Show individual items..." checked. The resulting tree entries are totally non-functional.

2. From both the Main Menu Edit selection, and the Context Menu, when I select "Properties..." the File Properties view should be shown in the Track Info window. If my previous Track Info view was Statistics, the Statistics view is left showing even though I chose "Properties..." from the menu.

A new menu selection "Statistics..." should be available immediately above "Properties..." from both the main menu and the context menu. The Track Info window would then switch to Statistics for the user. And, believe me, it will make it *lots* easier to find Statistics without RTFM.

3. The Sort Headers are not working in the Track Info (Statistics) window. If I'm looking at the Artist statistics, I'd sure like to know which one has the most files in my collection.

4. Assume I have [Audio] open in the Tree Vew, and two Smartlists open, each of which contains the artist Sting. If I click the Artist/Album View Scheme it Auto-Opens. I then type "Sting". After typing the "i" the selected item is Sting. However, when I type the "n" the selection moves to the first occurance of Sting in the Smartlists. When I type the "g" the selection moves to the second occurance of Sting in the Smartlists.

This is very cumbersome, since we can't know in advance how many characters it will take to match any given artist, and it changes over time as artists (etc.) are added. I have to watch the Tree View to see if I've matched yet, but can't go too slowly or I miss the character timeout. MC9 should stay on the current selection until I type a character that no longer matches the current selection... then this problem wouldn't occur.

5. Editing the Search Criteria within a View Scheme has many problems. If I right-click a field and choose "Edit (by typing)", the selected text is white and very difficult to read. The cursor is not visible at all, although I can type, backspace and delete as though a cursor was present.

If I use the Wizard to create a new Rule, I can only select values that are used within the database - there's no way to create a Rule with values not found in the database. The Wizard always surrounds the data with [brackets], but doesn't let the user know and I don't get to choose "quotes" or plain text. The Random modifier is not available within the Wizard. There should be a Preview field so we can see what will be added to the Search Criteria.

If I click at the beginning of the Search Criteria it appears that space is made for a cusor, but the cursor is not visible. If I click again (not a double-click), I get a visible cursor. I can move it around to edit the field. However, I can't click between two entries and get a cursor, unless I've already activated a cursor at the beginning of the field.

If there are many Search Criteria, the only way to get to those on the right is to get a visible cursor at the beginning of the field. I then press End and the cursor moves to the end of the criteria list. If I then right-click a field and select "Edit (by typing)", the wrong field is opened for edit.

If I have the cursor at the beginng of the Search Criteria and use the right-arrow to place the cursor at a given location, when I use the Wizard to create a Rule, it is added at the end of the Search Criteria, not where the cursor is located.

6. <Frustrating> Every time I rip a CD, MC hangs at the end of the CD and I have to terminate the program. The last database entry may or may not be present; however, if I do an import I find the last track has always been recorded.

7. There needs to be a way of closing the Properties window without updating the changes I've made. I've tried using the Esc key as I would in a dialog box, but it isn't active.

8. If I have the Track Info (Properties) window docked at the right side of the screen and browse through my files, when I change selections the "Updating Tags" progress dialog is shown. I haven't even clicked within the Track Info window.

9. When using Convert Files, the List Box doesn't scroll with the track being processed, as do the List Boxes used in Ripping and Anaylze Audio. It would be nice for Convert Files to have a "15/203 files" field like Analyze Audio.

10. The MJ8 help file says: "The normalization percent that you set is the percent of the maximum that you want the new peak level to be at." This is not how MJ8 worked, and it isn't how MC9 works. What happens now, is a file is considered "Normalized" if its peak is higher than the specified value. These files are encoded without change. A file is only normalized if its peak is LESS THAN the specified value.

This is an interesting option, as it does allow some files to get through in their original condition. However, I want to Normalize all my files to about 80-90% so that the digital equalizer on my iPod has room to work without distortion. You can see the problem in the DSP Studio of MC9. If your music peaks over 95%, if you turn on equalization with boost in any frequency band, the signal clips (assuming Replay Gain isn't being used).

If you'd like to preserve the current way Normalization works, you could put in an Option that allows the user to choose to reduce the signal in files whose Peak is over the specified value.

11. I wish Smartlist Search Criteria were edited like View Schemes. Most important, the product would be self-consistent. It doesn't make sense to edit the criteria in the input field above the file list, then need to move to another Tree View selection to end the Search Criteria edit. The Context Menu of a Smartlist should have an "Edit Smartlist..." entry like View Schemes and View Scheme Groups. We would edit the Search Criteria in a dialog box and the upper field would allow temporary changes.

Despite all these issues...

*** MC9 is a great product! Keep up the good work! ***

Randy

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2516 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 193 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive H: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2003, 12:50:29 pm »

I've been testing MC9.0.88 (with iPod plug-in .36/.38) for two weeks. I would like to file this report, based on working with about 4000 songs, some from WAV files and others ripped from CDs.

This message got too long for the forum, so I've posted it as two messages. This one is requests; the previous was bugs.

Requests:

1. I would like to have Search Criteria available in Playist Groups. For example, I have a Playist Group named "iPod" that holds all Smartlists for the iPod. Within that group is "All iPod Music", a Smartlist that selects MP3 files with a Rating>2 and other criteria. Each Smartlist in the "iPod" Group then uses Playlist="All iPod Music" in its Search Criteria. The whole structure would make more sense (and be easier to manage) if the iPod Search Criteria were defined in the iPod Playlist Group.

This brings up an important question: In what order are Smartlists built? They should be searched for dependencies, then built "from the bottom up". However, they could be evaluated in Alphabetical Order or by their level in the Playlist Group hierachy, so I wanted to ask.

2. In a similar vein as Request 1, I'd like to see View Scheme Groups cascadable (you can create one View Scheme Group within another View Scheme Group). I could then create cascading Search Criteria using the View Scheme structure.

3. For one reason or another, Ripping sometimes creates problem filies. I'd like to see a "Verify after ripping" selection. It should allow me to select "Whole file" or "First [definable] seconds".

4. When viewing Playlist Groups, there is a "View Selector" Dropdown List at the bottom of the screen containing entries such as "Files in playlist or below". It is defined for each Playlist Group. I would like to have "Statistics" be one of the selections, as we had back with MJ7.

5. It would be nice to see a Genre / Artist statistics selection. It would be great to be able to define them myself.

6. When importing files, I'd like to have an option to update the MC9 database entries of files whose Date Modifed (at the OS level) is more current than the Date Modified field in the MC9 database.

7. If I define a custom Naming Convention for "Fill Properties from file name...", I'd like to have it added to the appropriate pulldown list. Same thing for the "Options / File Naming & Location" Naming Conventions. I guess this implies I should be able to delete items from the pulldown lists, as well.

8. The Column contents and width should be stored with each View Scheme Group, View Scheme, Playlist Group, Playlist and Smartlist. If they aren't defined for any given item, they should use (but not inherit) the column definitions for the next-higher item in the Tree View. If a user makes changes to the column definitions for an entry in the Tree List, they should be updated (or created) for the current tree entry. The new column definitions should only affect child entries in the tree that don't have their own column definitions. This is very important when using both Music and Images, whose column selections and widths need to be much different.

9. The Equalizer should have a predefined set named "Flat" that resets the Preamp and all frequency bands to 0dB.

Thanks, Randy

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2003, 10:23:45 am »

I found the "cause" of this failure:

6. <Frustrating> Every time I rip a CD, MC hangs at the end of the CD and I have to terminate the program. The last database entry may or may not be present; however, if I do an import I find the last track has always been recorded.

If I turn off "Eject CD after Ripping" this problem does not occur.

New minor bug: The Main Menu "Help" selection has two items using the "I" hotkey: Interact and System Info.

Randy

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2518 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2003, 03:05:30 pm »

When using "Rename Files from Properties...", MC9 will not create directories if the base path is a UNC path. It says "Failed to update the following files..."

Request rather than bug: If you have a grouping on an alphabetical field, you see
A-D
E-H
I-L
etc.
If you press F on the keyboard, it skips over E-H down to the next thing that begins with F. If you have something in the E-H group that begins with F, it would be nice if it would open that group and select it. Hope that makes sense

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2003, 04:14:18 pm »

I have been getting a "Media Core has caused a problem and must be shut down" message.  The message appears about 10 seconds after running the program, usually when I switch views.   I have removed all of the comments from the database as indicated in another posting on this error, but still have the problem.  I have a 2.5 Ghz machine about 40 gig of storage available.  Any suggestions? ?

brookb

• Recent member
  • Yep, I'm a music loving geek.  :-)
Re: BUG: Memory leak in analyse
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2003, 08:33:53 pm »

Tested in 9.0.88
Virtual memory increases linearly with "analyse" in MJ9.

I can provide a second confirmation of this.  I tried to analyze 1400 files, and walked away for a while.  When I came back, the system had analyzed about 600 songs, but had slowed almost to a halt.  Windows Task Manager showed memory usage at above 2.3 Gigabytes, and a pop-up window indicated that Windows had automatically re-allocated more disk space for swap (virtual memory).  When I shut down Media Center 9.0.0.88, about 2 gig of memory was released.

Now, I'm stuck with an oversized and un-optimized swap file.  Anyone know how to trim it down and re-optimize it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up