INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is TiVo ?  (Read 2096 times)

zevele10

what is TiVo ?
« on: December 31, 2002, 10:06:58 pm »

as i ask.
no more no less.

Thanks for answer me

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: what is TiVo ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 01:27:53 am »

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 01:43:31 am »

Here is a flash demo:

http://www.tivo.co.uk/experience/flash_demo.html

It lets you completely control the television experience.

You can also find more information at the following URL:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=048884bb534599c1afce32a3baec8380&threadid=37326

See the 'What is Tivo and what are its benefits' section.

As far as I know Tivo is only available in the US and UK (although I may be wrong).

Mark

TimB

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 02:34:47 am »

TiVo lets you record the programs automatically and saves them to a hard drive so you can watch them at your leisure.  It intelligently handles conflicts (I've said I want to watch "Cops" and "Judge Judy" at the same time) with a priority list.  It also will keep an eye out for programs that I might not know about by letting me enter search phrases and recording (or just letting me know about) programs that meet those search phrases.  (ie "Spencer Tracy"  or "Horror Movies and Lawrence Olivier").  You can setup Seasons Passes for programs that repeat daily or weekly.  Imagine every time you turn on your TV there is something you actually want to watch!

Despite the complexity of the above it has a  VERY well designed user interface which is, IMHO, the key to mass aceeptance of any technology.

It delivers the unfulfilled promise of the VCR and lets you suck the marrow out of cable or satellite TV programming.

Even my lovely but luddite wife says that TiVo rocks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2003, 08:23:18 am »

thank you.
Look really cool.
How works the live TV artefact?
I mean ,you go to .. ,put on pause and when you come back you start where you left.
They rip all programs or it is on your TiVo drive?

I understand that if you do not want to pay every month you can pay once for good.Can be better than a never ending $xx every month.
As you say ,must be only in US and UK for know.

Any link with a storie ,years ago about a program who stopped to rip when was annoucements?
It was TiVo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2003, 11:13:29 am »

I agree about the interface.  Most of it is really well done.

The PC is linux based, and it encodes to MPEG2, using a hardware encoder chip.

It records to a disk file, so when you pause, it goes on writing the file, but stops reading and displaying it until you resume.

Not sure about the commercials.  It's possible to do, and in the future, that may be a big source of revenue for them.  Theoretically, they could insert a commercial that had more appeal to you, based on what you watch.

It's a very cool device.  It costs around $400 to buy the PC, and you can get the scheduling for it indefinitely for about $250.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2003, 11:35:53 am »

I have the DirecTV/TiVo combo unit.  I can record two channels at once, and view something on the hard drive at the same time! DirecTV now handles all the service for the combos, so the monthly fee has dropped to $4.95/month.  ;D

phelt

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 01:00:47 pm »

zevele: perhaps you are thinking of ReplayTV
It has features to automatically skip over commercials during playback, hook up to a home network, transfer recordings over the net, etc. This led to a bunch of suits and countersuits. A forthcoming version is supposed to allow interaction with wireless (802.11b) devices.

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2003, 08:58:52 am »

TiVo has a 30 second skip feature.  It lets you program a button on the remote to be a 30 second skip button. You can also simply fast forward through commercials.  As the previous person said, TiVo does not skip commercials automatically.  The 40 hour TiVo is now $250 with a $50 rebate.  The Direct TV with TiVo integrated boxes are around the same price.

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2003, 10:22:02 am »

Don't know if they are still offering the lifetime service deal. I looked at it a while ago, discovered it was tied to the life of yr box, so if that cratered and you had to buy a new unit you were OOL.

As I noted in another thread, you can find re-engineered units with upgraded HD capacity to at least 320 hours (presumably at the EP quality setting), maybe more.

As 511PF says, you can program in a 30-second skip function that can take you through many commercials.

Great technology. The one techno-toy that my wife agrees (reluctantly) is indispensible.

HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up