INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.88 beta  (Read 15170 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 9.0.88 beta
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2002, 07:01:35 pm »

suggestion: when ripping a cd with various artists, the files should be saved to (multiple artists)\[album]\[track], and not [artist]\[album]\[track]. as is, when encoding a soundtrack or compilation, all the tracks end up all over my albums folder and i have to organize it manually.

Ditto that.  Two naming settings should be allowed just like in EAC (which I don't bother using any more, by the way).

On a related note, though, to its credit, selecting the imported files in the library and then using the move tool is pretty nifty.  That and the "Rename files from properties..." tool achieves the same effect; but it would be nice not to have to do these two extra steps because after a few CD's, the novelty wears off.  :)

Omni

mcleaver

• Recent member
Media Library
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2002, 11:00:17 pm »

I allowed the beta to update my media library, but now have several double entries... identical names of artists with different albums under each... How can this be?
BTW: I basically only wants Media Jukebox 9... when will this be available?
Rgds

Martin

mcphzgig

• Recent member
  • From the Land Down Under
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2002, 02:11:47 am »

In this build, all of a sudden, I have multiple copies of each track showing in the view window for every album that I have  burnt to data CD (successfully - and that ain't many).

So, if I select an audio album in the Media Library tree, I see three copies of Track 1, track 2, etc.

I could get rid of them by sorting by date and deleting the (later) track entries that are all on removable media. But why has this just appeared?

As a matter of ease of use, it makes it much harder to play the whole of a selected album.

System Info
Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1210 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 230 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: IOMEGA CDRW9600INT-B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Media Center - Whatta concept! Wow!

MachineHead

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2002, 02:44:48 am »

Bug?

Still fighting with MC over the charactors in Tool. Decided to clear library and re-import. Didn't help, but discovered that all the preset auto-smartlists were gone. Now maybe this is by design, but are they supposed to vanish after clearing the library and re-importing?

Restart MC and it brings them back. Just seems odd that it would axe all the presets.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2002, 06:53:32 am »

Sorry if this has been covered already.  I haven't been following this thread or previous ones.

I find that MC9 is extermely slow compared with MJ8.  One example is with the Find function.  If I hit Ctrl-F in MJ8, it would switch to the find mode instantly, and when I began typing, the letters I type would appear without any time lag and the search results would dynamically update.  Depending on what MC9 is doing at the time, it could take as many as 6 seconds to switch to find; if it's been doing a search recently, MC9 switches instanly.

very minor issue:
When I move a large number of files, the MC9 title bar and the MC box in the XP task bar MC9 will become "MEDIA CENTER (Not Responding)".  When MC9 wakes up after finishing the task, the title bar returns to "MEDIA CENTER" but the task bar never changes back.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2002, 07:11:20 am »

Here's another wish for MJ8 capability, without regard to what's been covered already by others...

In MJ8, I could very easily see where my music files were with File Location.  I'm sorry to seem ungrateful after you've worked to upgrade MJ8 "File Location" into MC9 "My Computer", but as I shift files around (as I do regularly - from upgrading hard drives on two PCs, grouping files to back up to DVD, and adding new files), I find that it was easier to organize my library when I could see every folder that contained my music files.

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2002, 11:21:40 am »

BUG:

When transferring files to my Nomad Jukebox, it uses the filename as the track name. The ID tags are correct, it's just using the wrong info when transferring.

-Mr.X

MachineHead

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2002, 01:00:39 pm »

More info on my bug...

Found out MC is not burning any files to the disc. It will burn the Artist-Album folders only. When read by MC there are no music files anywhere to be found. Switched to the non-internal burner and still no files. This worked for me in one of the earlier builds.

Uninstalled and put MJ 8.0.388 back in. Did random pick with size limitation such as MC's random data preset from the auto-smartlist. Sent to burner and made sure 'None' was selected for the folder arrangement. This worked flawlessly and was read without a problem by the portable player.

At this point I'm guessing it may be a burner bug just from the fact that it worked in (I think--->) 9.0.087.

Do not have MC installed right now, but the burner is:

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B (LG Electronics)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
IMPORTANT NEW BUG: crashes when song changed
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2002, 03:30:53 pm »

Tested with 9.88 (does not happen on 9.84)

MJ crashes for some song changes consistently. There are some songs A and B such that
play A,  stop, play B does not crash but
play A, play B crashes each time.

Before crash, I get the error message:

"There was an error starting playback.
Make sure that your system has a valid sound playback...
(double check the output mode,...)
"

In my tests, both A and B are mp3, A is 128+ bps 44kHz Stereo VBR and B is 64 bps 22kHz Mono.
It seems that MJ has problems in mixing different encodings.

My Settings are:
DPS off
Waveout / Source bitdepth
Seeking smooth
Between Tracks: cross-fade

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2002, 02:12:35 am »

I can't back the library up - pressing the button has no effect. It's been like that since I first started on MC9 about 5 builds ago.

Have a nice day ya' all - Jim

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 599 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 24 MB
Resource Info: System - 52 %, GDI - 74 %, User - 52 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4522.1800 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PHILIPS PCRW804   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Two second gap: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2002, 03:29:36 pm »

• mini-me : Playlist Scrollbars aren't scrolling the playlist, even though the scrollbar moves if you use the arrow keys to move up and down through the playlist.

• mini-me : If you move mini-me to the lower part of your screen, right click it (it works better if the skin is low enough on the screen that the menu opens upwards), then click somewhere on the skin, but away from the menu, mini-me moves. Sometimes it moves far enough away that it is no longer seen. It seems to be bound to the mouse in some way. You can move the mouse around without holding down the mouse button, and mini-me moves with it.

Marko

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2002, 09:06:54 pm »

I can't back the library up - pressing the button has no effect. It's been like that since I first started on MC9 about 5 builds ago.

Have a nice day ya' all - Jim

Awight there JollyJim, I just tried doing a backup, and it worked a treat ?

are you deffo saving to a location that exists, and one that you are allowed to write files to?
Hmmmm.... "pressing the button has no effect".....
Mebbe try uninstalling, cleaning the registry of MC stuff, deleting MC's program files directory, and re-installing.
Might help, might not...
Gotta be worth a go though;)

My stuff...........
Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1611 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 628 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive L:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive R:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive R: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1610A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Listening to: 'Southern Sun (Ft. Solar Stone Chillout Mix)' from 'Bunkka' by 'Paul Oakenfold' on Media Jukebox

newhere

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2002, 07:39:52 am »

Hi there.

The bug that MachineHead has been expiriencing (the symbol 'Æ' does not show up) is actually not a small issue. MC 9 appears to be just ERASING the characters it does not recognize. Now for me this is not too horrible since I just had a very limited ammount of files with this special character. But I need to point out that MC did this without warning and any alert. And it does not only show up without the character but it will actually modify the Tag! I do not know if it will do this with other special characters but I would think so.

This seems to be a small and (hopefully) easy to fix bug but to someone who uses special characters frequently or is form another country with it may be a very dangerous thing just to import files into MC 9's database. Imagaine 1000 file Tags being truncated! That would be a mess. I hope this is easy to fix (maybe just incorporate more characters into MC 9 or at least stop auto renaming). Also helpful might be a change log that shows all changes being made to Tags by MC.

For me this is nothing too serious and you already have produced a great program with lots of neat features, keep up the good work.

Payam

MachineHead

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2002, 01:55:48 pm »

Hi there.

The bug that MachineHead has been expiriencing (the symbol 'Æ' does not show up) is actually not a small issue. MC 9 appears to be just ERASING the characters it does not recognize. Now for me this is not too horrible since I just had a very limited ammount of files with this special character. But I need to point out that MC did this without warning and any alert. And it does not only show up without the character but it will actually modify the Tag! I do not know if it will do this with other special characters but I would think so.

This seems to be a small and (hopefully) easy to fix bug but to someone who uses special characters frequently or is form another country with it may be a very dangerous thing just to import files into MC 9's database. Imagaine 1000 file Tags being truncated! That would be a mess. I hope this is easy to fix (maybe just incorporate more characters into MC 9 or at least stop auto renaming). Also helpful might be a change log that shows all changes being made to Tags by MC.

For me this is nothing too serious and you already have produced a great program with lots of neat features, keep up the good work.

Payam

I'm pretty sure this is a known bug. I just haven't gone thru these long threads looking to see if anyone else has posted similar problems. I did switch back to v8 for the time being, burner isn't working for me in 9, and did notice that tags are not modified. Or at least mine have not been touched when going back to 8. This may be because of the ability to uninstall either versions library entries and not have it mess up the other(s).

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2002, 07:09:26 pm »

Marko - thanks for replying.

I have'nt encountered an option to tell the library where to back up to so I don't thimk it's getting that far if ya see what I mean.

I thought of uninstalling/reinstalling but I feel kinda nervous about it as I haven't got a library back-up. Mind you, I feel nervous about most things in life. I think it started when I was a lad and I was pushed around by the bigger kids. It did'nt help that my mother, when she was'nt on the gin, would dress me in my sister's hand-me-downs. When I got older, I learned to control the outward emotions but it's a strain, ya know what I mean? It's a constant strain going through life in this way!!

(Plaintive violin music playing in the background)

etc etc

Waddya think - shall I take a chance ?...........

Thanks - Jim

Marko

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2002, 01:44:27 am »

If it was me, I'd make a manual backup of these files from your C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Data directory....
  • removable.jmd
  • playlistx.jmd
  • mediafiles.jmd

Also include the file browser.jmd if it exists.

Then go for it. When MC asks to scan for media, give it a directory to scan that only has a handful of mp3's inside and when it's done importing them, try backing your new library up. If it works, then close MC, delete the files above from your data directory and manually replace the files you backed up earlier to get your full library back. Restart MC and try the library manager again. If the backup button is now busted, you have a library problem.
If reinstalling doesn't fix things, I bumped this thread...
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1038887896;start=0
.....as it seems you are not alone:)
You might get some more specific help in there if you need it as this is essentially just a buglist thread.

JohnS

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2002, 04:06:00 am »

Not sure if this has been brought up yet:
Is there any "name-clash" with Media Center 9 and JASC's Media Center Plus program?

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2002, 04:07:56 am »

Hi all from Buenos Aires,

Media Jukebox still  remains in the Add/Remove programmes after installing Media Center also the quick launch icon keeps the Media Jukebox name.

OT
If there is anybody in this forum from BsAs I am here for two months maybe you would like to meet up ??
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2002, 11:55:59 pm »

wHEN WILL THE STREET VERSION BE RELEASD.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up