INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.88 beta  (Read 15184 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.0.88 beta
« on: December 09, 2002, 12:51:56 pm »

Media Center 9.0.88 beta is available.    

This is beta software -- some things don't work, some things may crash, and your database and tags may not be totally safe.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download here:    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90088.exe

Changes    

1. Fixed: Media Jukebox would crash when displaying visualizations or track info.
2. Changed: Deleting tracks from "Playing Now" would leave items selected.
3. NEW: Added "Upper Case All Letters" and "Lower Case All Letters" to the "Clean" properties tools.
4. Fixed: In some cases, Windows Media components could prompt for a reboot during the Media Jukebox install.
5. Changed: Search bar in library now shows current tree-invoked search. (to make it more clear what typing in the search box will yield)
6. Changed: Search at root (Ctrl+F) now remembers last typed string during session.
7. NEW: Greatly increased search engine speed. (3x - 5x in many cases)
8. Changed: If auto track splitting is disabled, sound recorder uses exact user entered track durations.
9. Fixed: Visualization window could get "stranded" away from mini-me when switching skins.
10. Fixed: More verification of valid directory names in "file naming & location".

We're still getting more bugs reported than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.    

Thanks for your help and support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: Media Center 9.0.88 beta
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 01:05:07 pm »

- Exporting a playlist to m3u uses playlist.m3u as name in stead of the playlist name
- Playing a stream web station, MC adds a playlist and imports the stream as a file.
- Left tree collapses on startup
- Uploading more than 100 files to my Handheld device gives an error at the end "error opening file" and not all files are uploaded then
- When sending e.g. 5 mp3's to external tool MP3Gain, it opens 5 times MP3Gain i.s.o. Adding those 5 files to 1 MP3Gain and those 5 MP3Gain instances have all the same file in it.
- When deleting a file with shift from Playing now when a song is playing, the focus of the currently playing song is gone
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

TimB

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 01:23:52 pm »

Has the logic for "Date Imported" searches changed?

None of the "Recently Imported" Auto Smartlists that MC8 shipped with (and I've upgraded thru to MC9 .88 ) work for me anymore unless I remove the "Date Imported" logic.  They worked with .86.

Or am I confused?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

ZRocker

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 02:16:34 pm »

Bug:

1. The title bar for the Find & Replace dialog box says 'Find && Replace' (double &).

nila

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 02:48:52 pm »

The created search string as we browse is quite a nice feature.

Kind of in mixed opinions about it as deleting it means you suddenly see all the files and someone might do this accidentally. It also means the search bar is pretty full before I even try and do a search.
I think on the whole it's good though.

POSSIBLY replace all the possible bits with just a simple search criteria saying: 'Current Tree Position' or something that could then be edited for all the parts. This would make the search bar seem less full before we even approach it.

REQUEST
  • Option on right click menu of tree nodes to 'fill search bar with current tree info' or something in case we delete it but then want it back or anything similar :)

• Ability to right click on a bunch of files, choose tools, export to playlist and export all the selected files to a .m3u playlist.

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 03:27:14 pm »

BUG:

Have 'Tool - Ænima' in the library. It shows up when I select 'Tool' from the tree. However it (Ænima) isn't showing any files when I select the album itself. And I know the files aren't ghosts. I can play them from the main Tool folder in the tree.

Tried an import to see if they would show up. Not happening. I did notice yesterday with 9.0.87 that the 'Æ' was not showing up. Simply 'nima' was displayed.  I did copy and paste it from windows explorer into File Properties for correction. Now after doing that it appears, but with no files to go with it.

nila

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 03:34:08 pm »

Posted this under the thread about the burner but putting it here too as It's pretty major and relivant to this build as well.

SERIOUS BUG:

Just tried to burn a data cd and MJ crashed. Not sure if it finished and then crashed or just crashed but it totally died. Tried the cd in explorer and the folders are unaccessible.
Tried burning a data cd with MJ two builds back and had serious problems too. It burnt the cd. All the tracks almost lost their id3 tags. Half the folders are unaccessible in explorer, the ones that aren't accessible are the only ones that play in my car stereo (mp3 compatible). Parts of the songs are mixed together, the filenames for songs say one thing when the song is a totally different one etc.

Basically I dont know what the hell it did but it did a REALLY MAJOR mess up. Cant even begin to imagine how.

ALSO, am now finally making the cd in Nero as I want this compilation album and MJ's just not working, I put it all together in Nero and it's letting me fit ALL the songs for the albums I wanted on the cd saying they fit. MJ made me delete 5 songs in order for it to say they fitted.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2002, 03:37:01 pm »

KUDOS:
- I love the cover art properties & searching...
- ASIO does work MUCH better than the alpha-quality plugin for v.8. I have several DTS tracks that play back perfectly! No more need for WinAmp for those 2 albums! The sound quality rocks, too!

I may be moving over to MC9 sooner than I planned (multi-zone is also tempting me)...

HAIRSTYLE WISHLIST:
- Numeric navigation in Track View.
- Any other way to navigate besides arrow keys?
- Differentiate between choices that have sub-options & choices where the labels are cut off due to display size. Maybe an "arrow" icon for submenus, and the ellipsis for truncated names?
- Hairstyle theme management in skin manager

MC WISHLIST:
- I'd love to see the status bar at the bottom of the window update when a playback filter was applied.

MC BUGS:
- Right-click in a blank area of the list pane brings up no menu. Must right-click on a track.
- Choosing "Setup" while playing in Hairstyle crashes MC.
- My Custom fields' data was imported, but custom field names/labels were lost.
- Albums w/Track #32 get imported as track 0 (and so are listed as incomplete).
- mjextman.exe doesn't like the /Start modifier. Get error "Member not found", then MC crashes. (Also defaults to launch MC v9 if both it and MJ v8 are installed).
- Hierarchical menus don't scroll. It requires clicking on the arrow to advance the menus.
- Status bar doesn't update properly, only shows info for where highlight bar is.
- View schemes aren't imported.
- Error on install w/Windows media components (Win2k). I think it's some kind of permissions error. I get this on v. 8 too.
- I see same behavior as v8 with numeric entry. See http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1039287483 for more details.

Keep up the great work!

Best,
Brad

Lynn

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 06:45:31 pm »

Adaptx DSP plugin (which support usage of directx plugins), worked fine with 7.2 (most stable), and ok with 8.x (some instability if 24 bits was used).

In version 9, it does not seem to work.   The sound 'hiccups' a lot.

PC is 2.4g P4/512 running XP.

Thanks.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2002, 06:54:46 pm »

Just something that hasn't been mentioned for a long while but needs to be fixed:

I was trying to analyze my audio, and had about 3,000 files queued.  Although it doesn't seem to happen with every file, at one point the Media Center process started taking up loads of memory, and I stopped it after Windows warned me it was upping the size of my page file and then found it was using over 230MB of memory.

I'm just saying this should be fixed before final release.

Dan "da Man"

Marty3d

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 12:30:24 am »

Bug(s):

• Shift-Delete in Playing now causes the list to be reordered if it's sorted by any other column than sequence and shuffled
  • Importing Artist 'Håkan Hellström', Album 'Det Är Så Jag Säger Det' causes MC to show the tracks directly below Artist, but when you go into the album, the list is empty (View Scheme 'Artist/Album'). Also happens to Artist 'Di Leva', Album 'Älska'

Thanks!

duhva

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 01:51:49 am »

Still getting the "tcsk" popping sound when playing CDs.

jofte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 02:45:50 am »

Adaptx DSP plugin (which support usage of directx plugins), worked fine with 7.2 (most stable), and ok with 8.x (some instability if 24 bits was used).

In version 9, it does not seem to work.   The sound 'hiccups' a lot.

PC is 2.4g P4/512 running XP.

Same story here, running the latest beta on 2xAthlon MP 1800+, WinXP SP1, Delta Audiophile 2496.

Adapt-X works fine with Winamp, WMP 9RC1, QCDPlayer, ...

This one is really important to me, as Adapt-X opens up the possibility to use all kind of professional DirectX plugins for MP3s.

Jofte

nila

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 02:59:44 am »

Problem with analyse files is there for me too.
Left it analysing my files overnight and woke to find my system locked.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 03:16:26 am »

Still cannot write with any Firewire CD-R drive! :'( :'( :'(

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 1003 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 534 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive S:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive U:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: YAMAHA CRW2100S   Addr: 2:5:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Drive S: QPS CRD-BP1500P   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2002, 03:20:48 am »

- "Recently Played" choices in Auto Smartlist don't work.
-  Removing a file from a playlist in burn mode adds to the total time of that playlist rather than subtracting from the file's play time from the list.

Intel Pentium 4 2252 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 94 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: 100 %

Ken

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2002, 03:49:54 am »

couple of bugs:

1. After a cd has completed ripping, you get a box notifiying you it is complete and to click ok.  If you manually eject a cd BEFORE clicking ok and insert a new CD, MC will never recognize the new CD.  I have found the only way around it is to reboot.

2. Under Device Settings you can select an option to play a sound after ripping.  However, the Choose Sound button does not work.  I am assuming you can change the defaut sound with this button.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2002, 06:52:10 am »

Bugs for Media Center ver. 9.0.88 beta

New, Modified, or Returning Bugs

• Search : Picking the Full Albums Search modifier should be a toggle menu rather than just an add-only option. Choosing Full Albums more than once results in multiple Full Album criteria being added to the search bar.

• Search : There appears to be no way of adding "and" & "or" to a search unless you edit by typing. There should be an easy-to-use method of piecing together a long search criteria ie. (replaygain==0 or peaklevel==0 or bpm==0 or intensity==0) using the Wizard.

• Search : Removing a term from a search criteria (like right clicking and choosing Remove on "intensity=0" in mediatype=[audio] (replaygain==0 or peaklevel==0 or bpm==0 or intensity==0) results in mediatype=[audio] (replaygain==0 or peaklevel==0 or bpm==0 or) (notice the trailing "or".

• Search : None of the various Date related search items can be found in the wizard (except for some roundabout way of getting there through the Add Keywords menu and then clickout off of the search bar and then back onto the search term).

• Search : Date related search items are using a nearly impossible to understand format based on seconds in order to specify criteria.

• Search : The Sorting dialog box offers no indication of what I'm allowed to type. If I type in the name of a valid field, then it works fine, but wouldn't it be better to provide a list of valid fields to choose from? As it is, I can seemingly type in anything with no guarantee it's going to accomplish anything. Also, there is no indication of what kind of sorting modifiers are available or what they do (ie what does "-d" mean?)

• Search : Selecting a Search Criteria, then choosing Edit by Typing results in a very difficult to read selection like this:

• CD Burning: I went through MC's Explorer menu, found a data folder I wanted to burn to a CD, sent it to the CD Burner and when I went to the CD Burning dialog I found that only the files in that folder were added. The folders (and all of their files) that were in that folder were not added. MC isn't recursively adding folders to CD's.

• CD Burning : On this same CD I noticed that the files didn't stay in their folder when I added them to the CD. They were all stuck in the CD root. The only way to put these files into a folder was to choose the Hard Disk option on Rearrange Folders, and that caused ALL of the files added to that CD to be put in folders that resembled their order on the hard disk rather than just put them into a folder.

For instance, I wanted to burn the following folder to a CD : C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Miniskins. Instead of just getting G:\Miniskins, I can only have G:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Miniskins.

• CD Burning : It's rather unecessary for MJ to ask me what kind of CD I want to burn when I add a non-audio file to a CD.

• If you right click on the very end of the list of columns (provided your columns don't make the content view scroll to the left and you have a blank column at the end) to add a column, that column gets added at the very beginning instead of the very end.

• Playing Now : Moving the column with the playing icon in it to another position takes the playing icon along with it.

• Playing Now : Deleting the currently playing file from Playing Now stops playback. Clicking NExt no longer does anything, but Previous plays the first track in the playlist (shouldn't it remember where the removed file was and act accordingly?), and clicking Play results in an error message that says "Please select file(s) to play." Double clicking another file in Playing Now will restart playback.

System Info

Intel Unknown 226 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 49 MB

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive D: TEAC CD-W216E   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2002, 06:54:43 am »

Old Bugs

• View Scheme Groups : Using the wizard to create search criteria for a view scheme isn't filtering out things based on the criteria specified for the group that the view scheme is in. For instance, creating a View Scheme in the Audio Group, if I try to specify a genre in the search criteria, I'm being presented with genres that only belong to images or videos, etc.

• Search : If you choose a Search Criteria, then choose Edit by Typing, and hit Ctrl-C to copy and go to a different smartlist and hit Ctrl-V to paste, the entire list of Search Criteria is copied instead of just the one you wanted.

• Playlists : If I drag a playlist out of one group and into another group, MJ presents me a with white square plus icon, which, based on standard Windows GUI behavior indicates a copy behavior, but instead is a move. I think this should behave exactly like Windows Explorer's drag and drop, including using Shift and Ctrl to modify the behavior, and allowing the Right Click drag that Windows has. It would just be more intuitive to people alreay using Windows.

• Transitioning from a Quicktime file (mov) results in a crash.

• Adding images and music to Playing Now isn't consistent. If audio is already in Playing Now, then Adding images to Playing Now results in those images being tacked on to the end of Playing Now (but are never shown - even when their turn in Playing Now arrives), if music is played first, then images are played, Playing Now is wiped and only images are shown, but if images are played first, and then music is added, the desired result of images and audio simultaneously is acheived.

• If I Play images, then Play a playlist with music and video in it, the slideshow clears immediately even if the first file to play is Audio.

• When viewing images and listening to music, if Playing Now contains a video, playing that video will clear all images from slideshow.

• MEGA-ME Skinning : Renaming a playlist gives me the following drawing bug:

• Ever since Tree View got the ability to display individual items in the tree, Quick Play acts all funky. I can't choose an individual file to play from Media Library without also telling the Tree View to display track names.

• Image List View : This doesn't select files correctly. If you select one file, then hold control to select a few more, that works. If you hold down shift and select a range, that works as well. But when holding down Control + Shift to add a range of files to the currently selected files, all of the currently selected files become unselected.

• Content View : You can now right click on a filename and rename the file right from MJ. Cool. The only problem was that I accidentally (ok, it wasn't really an accident) renamed a file to Pink - Just Like a Pill.Apl2 (note the 2 at the end of the extension). Attempting playback now works, but when I then used the same method to rename the file back to what it was (with just .apl) I received the following message:

After which MJ's link to that file was broken. While MJ's database has the filename listed with .apl, the actual filename is still .apl2. Once I manually renamed the file in Explorer, everything worked fine again.
    I thought I had read that this was fixed, but it doesn't seem to be the case...

• Trying to download any kind of plugin or skin through our proxy server/firewall results in a message of "Failed to connect to a server." This is after it prompted me for my username, password, and domain to get through our firewall. This has worked in the past, but has always been problematic.

System Info

Intel Unknown 226 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 49 MB

Burning /  Drive D: TEAC CD-W216E   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2002, 06:55:19 am »

New Requests

• I think the menu item for Toggle List Style should cascade, opening up all of the list styles. The toolbar button would work better if it opened a menu up as well like the Favorites button works. Maybe make the button one of those two-buttons-in-one like IE has, where if you just click it, it jumps through the different list styles, but if you click the little down arrow next to it, it opens up a menu where you can choose a specific view style.

• It would be really nice if when you were dragging columns around in Content View, if it would scroll. It would make reordering columns a lot easier.

• CD Burning : Any chance of getting a method of actually creating our own custom folder structure on a data CD?

• CD Burning : It would be really helpful if you could right click on a CD-RW drive and choose to erase a CDRW disc from there instead of having to go into the CD burning dialog.

• CD Burning : It would also be really nice to have some sort of progress indicator when erasing a CDRW disc.

• IE Integration : Any chance of seeing some way to right click on an image in IE or Netscape and automatically saving the picture and importing it into MJ?

Old Requests

• Vis Bars : I'd (still) like to see seperate hide modes for each of MJ's display modes (Internal, External, Fullscreen). I'd like to have them never hide in Internal, but autohide in Fullscreen & External, for instance.

• Rename from Properties & Fill Properties from Filename : Any way we could get a wizard-type interface for this like we now have (more or less) with the Search bar?

• mini-me Skinning : Kerensky had a whole list of skinning features that are currently found in other media apps (like Winamp 3 and Sonique 2). I'd like to add my voice in support of these. Here's the list for reference.

• Mega-Me and Mini-Me should have the same skinning features/abilities.

• Skinning engine should have all the features that Winamp 3.0 has.

• Mini-me skins should be able to display the left media tree pane, instead of just the playlist pane.

• Instead of having to use standard fonts, include support for skinned fonts. This is where, with .bmps, you can map out a alphabet, and numbers that the player would use instead of a regular font. Quintessential, Coolplayer, and Winamp 3 already support this with their skinning engines and it's one of the coolest features I've ever seen.

• When the mute function, I'd like a way to keep the mute button displaying the down .bmp while the player is muted.

• With playlists in mini-me mode, there should be the ability to customize what info in displayed. The default seems to be Track # - Artist - Song Name - Song Length. This may be possible already, but I haven't been able to find out how. Personally I'd just like to display Track # - Song Name - Song Length.  

• When displaying the elapsed or remaining time, allow skin authors to specify how many digits are displayed at any one time. Right now from what I can see, MJ displays only as many digits as is needed (with most songs usually m:ss), but for instance in one of my skins I'd like to specify that the elapsed time be displayed like hh:mm:ss always even is the unused digits only display 0's when not being used.

• Add support for Windows XP features like ClearType font smoothing and Alpha Blending Window edges.

• Include ability to specify the background color of the currently playing song.

• Include ability to change the icons throughout MJ.

• Include ability to use the media library search bar in skins.

• Replay Gain : MJ really needs Album Gain. If Playing Now contains a full album, use Album Gain, otherwise, use Radio Gain. If it's a mix between a full album and mixed tracks, check to see if the tracks belonging to the album are all in track order. If so, use Album Gain on those tracks. If not, use Radio Gain on the entire Playing Now list.

• Image List View : Can there be some "missing image" image? Like the MJ logo in place of a blank square? Or a red circle with a line through it? Or better yet, an image that we can specify for all missing artwork?

• Image List View : For the single image album art view, there needs to be a way to see the tracks belonging to that album. Maybe a multipaned view that shows the cover image on the left and the track names on the right? Or even a tooltip balloon like the ones that Rhino is using in his AlbumView plugin.

• Content View : Can all views remember their own view settings? Basically, what I'd like to see is Playing Now being able to just display Artist, Album, Name, and Track #, but have Media Library display more detailed information, like filename, BPM, etc. I'd also like to be able to specify that an Album view scheme display the album art view, but an Artist view shows the regular text view, etc. Playing Now should be able to be independently set to always show list view or image view, etc.

• Slideshow : How about an option to display the filename of the current file in Fullscreen mode?

• Ripping : I'd also like to see MJ be able to rip a CD to one wav\ape\mp3 and create a CUE sheet. Being able to create the relevant APL or whatever files in addition would be great along with an option to either import the full album wav\ape\mp3 or not.

• Visualizations : Can these remember what Display Quality to use based on what mode (Full Screen, MEGA-ME, mini-me) MJ is in?

• Can we get an option in Skin Manager to close Skin Manager on skin change?

• I've heard rumor that some of the options dialogs are going to be redesigned. This is, IMO, a GREAT thing. I'm going to suggest changes as I see them, so to start, here's one that's bugged me for quite a while.

• In order to change the Sorting options, you need to 1. Select the field you want to move. 2. Click Edit. 3. Click Move Selected Up/Down. Wouldn't it be simpler to allow dragging of items? Or even two arrows (up/down) beside this box that would move the items?

• Also, what does "Track # for Albums" mean and why would I want it checked? Why would I want it UNchecked? I've never seen it make any difference either way. If it actually has a purpose, it should be more clearly explained. And can somebody explain it to me? :)

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2002, 07:35:58 am »

New Requests

Also, what does "Track # for Albums" mean and why would I want it checked? Why would I want it UNchecked? I've never seen it make any difference either way. If it actually has a purpose, it should be more clearly explained. And can somebody explain it to me? :)

I sort my lists by name, ascending.  If I select an artist in the "media tree" on the left hand side of the screen, I get all the songs by this artist in alphabetical order, which seems like a good way to find them if I'm looking for a particular song.  If I select a genre I get all songs in this genre in alphabetical order.

But if I select an album in the tree, alphabetical order doesn't seem as natural anymore.  Media Center doesn't have a way to specify separate sort orders for each type of view (Album, Artist/Album, Genre, ...), except a special case:  I can get album-related views in the more natural track order (track 1-2-3-...) by checking that check box.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2002, 07:38:07 am »

Ah, I see. Thanks. I always have MJ sort by track #, so it never seemed to make any difference to me. :P

Victorag

• Recent member
  • Early retirement is to die young...
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2002, 08:04:18 am »

Upgraded to 9.0.88 and when I tried to import, I got a box that says:
You are attempting to import from a directory which Media Jukebox normally excludes. Are you sure you want to import from 'D:\My Documents\My Music\'?

When I click Yes, it does not import anyything at all.
Bug?

Victor
Victor

nila

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2002, 02:56:55 pm »

Still experiencing video playback problems with .m2v files.

It'll play them then randomly freeze. Different spots each time, different files, no real noticable pattern.

Happens a LOT though with the only way to carry on using MJ being to force crash it.

I can send u a file if needed.

frobig

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2002, 06:24:21 pm »

Bugs I've found, in the last few builds of MC9:
The only way I can see to rearrange song order in an album is to type in new track numbers in the properties window. Previous versions ("Media Jukebox") always had a way to drag and drop to a new position in the directory.
I have the artist name "Blue Öyster Cult" in the tree, but the two BÖC albums in my library don't show up when I want to expand it, and the tracks from these albums don't show up in the View window. They do play when I use "Open File," and stranger still, I added them to playlists and they show up there.
When ripping a CD, tracks seem to rip about half as fast as they did in MJ8, and even though I just upgraded to a 48X16X48 burner from an 8X4X32, it seems that CDs burn no faster, and possibly slower, than with the older burner and MJ8. This is making me think RAM problems. I am using the burner at 36X to accomodate some old blank CD-Rs, but that's still four times faster than my old max speed, and I'm not seeing it.
CDs also don't play well. I get snaps and pops in playback, not to mention that MC9 won't play a whole CD, only a track at a time, in analog mode. The poor digital playback also makes me suspect misuse of system resources; these aren't things that happened in MJ8.
I really only decided to try the MC9 Beta because MJ8 wouldn't use my internal ASPI layer, and I wanted to burn discs without 2 second gaps. Other than this, some improvements in downloading and accessing cover art are the only real improvements I've seen in MC9; granted, I only use it for audio files, but I miss some features from earlier versions.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1199 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 117 MB

Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:36  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No

NoCodeUK

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2002, 12:55:03 am »

As far as I can tell, whether or not Always use Track # sorting option is checked or unchecked individual items in the tree are always displayed alphabetically.  When I have individual items under an album I want them to be sorted by the more natural track #. I have tried many different ways to achieve this but it does not appear possible.  Is there something Ive missed and if not is this something that could be added??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

jofte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2002, 02:02:57 am »

Crashbug: Faulting application media jukebox.exe, version 9.0.88.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Before that, I got a msgbox "Out of memory error" from media center (while I was browsing my MP3 folders in the "My Computer" part of the tree.

WinXPSP1, 2GB RAM, 50k files in 340GB folder (drive array).

jofte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2002, 03:01:58 am »

Database corruption:
Under the Artist name "3-D" I noticed a copy of my entire mp3 folder hierarchy (I do have the "Deep Inside" album from 3-D, but all the over artists and albums showed up both inside of that folder and below it in the regular tree).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2002, 04:12:43 am »

NoCodeUK>  Tools->Options->Tree & View Settings.

Under Sorting, click Add, and choose Ascending, then Track #. Use the Edit button to move Track # into the spot you want.

For instance, my list looks like

Artist
Year
Album
Track #
Name

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2002, 04:23:39 am »

MC Appears to be crashing after about 2 hours of play. I can't tell for sure, but here's how I arrived at this deduction.

I have MC playing all night while I sleep. For the last week or so, I've awoken to find that MC is no longer running, but it's tray icon is still present until I move my mouse over it, at which point it disappears, a sure sign of a crash.

I fired MC up and, using the Last Played field, figured out where it left off playing. The next night I'd start it playing again (always from the beginning of the same playlist) and when I woke up the next morning, the same thing would have happend. According to the Last Played field, MC stopped in the same place.

So I immediately thought it was something to do with a particular song in the playlist. Even though if I played it by itself and it played fine, I figured there had to be something about that song. So I removed it from the playlist.

Next night, same deal. Stopped in the same place. So this time I removed the last song that it said it successfully played.

Last night, same deal. So this time I checked to see how long MC had been playing before it crashed (again, using the Last Played field - I just selected all of the songs that had been played within that time frame) and got the number of 2 hours 3 minutes.

I left it playing today from a different point in the playlist to see if it crashes again, and where, etc. So hopefully I can shed some more light on this (both for you and for me - it wouldn't be the first time I kept reporting something like this as a bug when it turned out to be a bad file - which is why I started off with removing certain songs from the playlist this time around).

JohnT

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2002, 07:59:51 am »

Still cannot write with any Firewire CD-R drive! :'( :'( :'(
Maybe you've done this before and I didn't catch it, but could you describe your firewire setup. Maybe I could replicate it here and get it working.
You should have "use internal burning engine" checked.
Does it fail for both audio and data cd burns?

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2002, 08:12:21 am »

couple of bugs:  
2. Under Device Settings you can select an option to play a sound after ripping.  However, the Choose Sound button does not work.  I am assuming you can change the defaut sound with this button.
It's working on my system. Could you post your system info?

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2002, 08:38:43 am »

MC Appears to be crashing after about 2 hours of play. I can't tell for sure, but here's how I arrived at this deduction.

No such problem here. My wife just finished listening to all my Christmas tracks (yes, she was in that mood today, and I'm already tired of the whole yule mess!), which took more than five hours. No problems. I listened to heavy metal for three hours while doing some proof reading, and I had no problems either.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2002, 01:45:13 pm »

YADB, some say this works, must they must not be into oldies or country .. I understand the freedb.org datatbase was converted, i can look up 90% plus of my music using this free program  that uses it  http://www.mp3tag.de/index.html , but it's a pain.

sure would be nice to point to a directory, and have Media Center look up  the tags,  also if you could offer  a choice if multiples match for a single look up.

No this is not a complaint, I like your software,  I even paid for it.  Please keep up the Great Work.
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2002, 01:52:50 pm »

DOOF: Firewire

I have two firewire drives and i have no problems with MJ \ MC
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2002, 03:35:36 am »

>>2. Under Device Settings you can select an option to play a sound after ripping.  However, the Choose Sound button does not work.  I am assuming you can change the defaut sound with this button.  

It's working on my system. Could you post your system info?

To JohnT:

Sorry John, it must of been fixed in the last release.  It is now working on my system now too!  However, the other problem I mentioned is still not working correctly.

Thanks,
Jorge

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2002, 06:22:59 am »

1. When installing Media Center on one PC, I received this error message:
Windows Media Format 7.1 Audio file Setup
Error registering the OCX C:\Windows\System32\I3codeca.acm

I've had problems with wma and MJ8 in the past.
My other PC installed fine.

2. Moving music files by clicking on folder (in My Computer) and dragging the folder to a new location moves the files only, not the folder.  A user who has experience with Windows Explorer would expect that the entire folder would move.  I suggest either changing it to move the folder, or simply disallow selecting a folder.  I'd prefer the first.

3. When click-and-dragging in My Computer, there's a little plus ("+") sign - which in Windows means "Copy".  No plus sign means "Move".  I suggest eliminating the plus sign.

4.  When I Add Folder in My Computer, the tree doesn't update to show the new folder - even after pressing F5.  (Windows Explorer shows the new folder.)  It'll update only after collapsing the tree for the drive and then reopening it.

I also suggest changing the name to "New Folder", again, to be consistent with Windows.

5.  When deleting a file in My Computer, a dialogue box asks about also deleting from the hard disk.  Not deleting from the hard disk seems pointless, since the file will simply reappear.  I suggest removing the choice of not deleting from hard drive, and stating very clearly that the file will be deleted.

LABB

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2002, 11:35:22 am »

just upgraded from MJ8 to MC9....

i noticed some things disappeared:

- when i open properties for a file, i can't seem to find the composer tag

- also, in MJ8, the Genre tag would display a list of values with existing genres (though it was also possible to type a new one)...in MC9, that list of values is gone -- having to type a value rather than picking from a list is a pain and also makes it easier to misspell, which creates a new value and requires cleanup later on

am i missing something?

thanks

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2002, 11:44:44 am »

Difficult to explain...

Disk Writer automatically names the files it creates 01 Artist-title, etc., when "create multiple files" is selected under settings.

Problem:  Files beginning with 03 and 13 go missing from playlists.

Here's what I did:

1.  Played a playlist to diskwriter
2.  Disk Writer settings:  create multiple files; save to a newly created folder.
3. Once all was played, I imported the files, and then dragged them into a new playlist.  Then I burned.
4.  The files in question are burned; I checked my cds.  However, they no longer appear in the playlist I created for the wav files of each cd.

I'm not sure when they disappear, exactly.  I'll keep an eye out as I burn my next few cds.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

dragyn

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2002, 12:16:20 pm »

ASIO is skipping on DSP Studio Environment.

It doesn't matter what the buffering is set at. It can be all the way up to 5secs and still is chopping the music.

Virtual Subwoofer and Surround Field play fine. I know it's not the CPU speed because I can set it at .10secs and it can crossfade between tracks just fine while using DSP (the other two enhancers) and replay gain.

I wouldn't think it's my memory. This is for my carputer setup.

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Delta Series. Driver Version: 5.10.00.0027 (ASIO)

Intel Celeron 499 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 129 MB, Free - 37 MB

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2002, 12:48:56 pm »

Importing bug: I create a static playlist for every CD I add to the collection (they've got consecutive numbers and are ment for the IR remotes and IR repeaters in the house, so I can for instance punch 666 and get Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath), and they're all in the same directory. Usually I just let MJB/MC import from that directory, since it then finds all the files instead of me having to do import from 10-12 directories on three harddrives. But when I import the playlists, it reads the track number as part of the name, so instead of "A Dangerous Meeting" the name of the track will be "01 - A Dangerous Meeting". When importing the files directly, they come out the way they should.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

nila

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2002, 03:17:39 pm »

BUG
  • Double clicking on a .m3u playlist file in windows explorer plays it in MJ fine but it automatically makes the whole playlist get imported into the library. I have MJ set to NOT automatically import played files, this is breaking that setting.

Marko

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2002, 01:25:02 am »

Fixed my own little playlist bug :)
I'll tell you it wasn't MC's fault, it was mine, and that is all ;)

I got nila's bug too though (re. importing to library)

also.....
D'clicking the playlist file, opens up in MC, which is set to open in "playing now". It does this, and the tracks are listed, my eyes fall to the info boxes bottom-right of MC to some info on the playlist total playing time etc, and it's not shown.

Request..........
Please can we have "send playing now to clipboard" in the tray menu?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2002, 05:15:54 am »

I think I've narrowed down my 2-3 hour crashing bug to my use of the MJ Luna track info template. Maybe it's something to do with the vis control on the template? I'm not sure.

Also another bug I noticed.

Switching from fullscreen to mini-me causes mini-me to display whatever vis plugin fullscreen was using. For instance, if I have mini-me loaded using just a standard visualization, then switch it to fullscreen mode, if I then switch to say a track info template and switch back to mini-me, mini-me is now trying to display the track info template.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2002, 09:19:02 am »

Reposted:

Nila wrote:
Used the My Computer tab to move some albums around and dragged and dropped an album from one folder to another. Then noticed that the folder was being displayed as still in the original parent folder and no new one in the new parent folder so went into explorer and noticed that MJ is simply moving the file types it recognises to the new folder and not moving the whole folder.

This brings up two issues.

Firstly, I would lilke the files moved inside the folder they are in to the new folder when I drag a folder, if I drag a file then I just want the file moved.

Secondly, If I'm dragging a folder, i want ALL the contents of the folder moved, even file types MJ doesn't recognise. I dont want MJ to play the files or anything, just move it if I'm going to use it as a moving tool.

Also, another point,
I sometimes accidentally have the options set to 'recurse' when I go into my computer, this then means it starts trying to read my whole drive when I double click the drive to open it.
Again two points

I'd like MJ to do this smartly, if a folder is double clicked it opens it without recursing it, selecting the folder (single click) results in it being recursed.

The cancel button needs to just cancel it instantly, right now there's a lagg of a few seconds between when the cancel is pressed and when we can actually get on with doing something else. It's quite annoying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------
| Smile!
| ..Why?
| Because it makes the world a nicer place to be!!
----------------------------------  

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2002, 11:49:37 am »

BUG:

Put a HTTP link in the Welcome Page (START Page), clicked on it.  The new page appears, but the PREVIOUS button is not activated.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2002, 02:46:19 pm »

% ## Minor Bug: Incorrect network location translation
Tested on 9.0.87. WIN 2000

1. Go browse folders in "import media files"
2. go "My Network places"
3. select a a location FOO that you have added to your network locations folder.
  i.e. FOO may be \\%ComputerName%\FOO
4. return enter, and the location is translated as:
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\NetHood\FOO
instead of
\\%ComputerName%\FOO

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2002, 03:55:08 pm »

In Download Manager,
"Import Downloaded" doesn't.

Also, can't find "Copy Playing Now". Is it gone?

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 534 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 91 MB
Resource Info: System - 32 %, GDI - 63 %, User - 32 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F:  40X12X48 CD-RW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
That's right.
I'm cool.

MachineHead

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2002, 04:17:27 pm »

Auto-Smartlists are behaving badly. Or maybe something else?

Example: From the preset list...One Data CD worth. Send to burner. Options>Rearrange folders>Artist = Instant crash.

This has happened numerous times.

Also, for whatever reason, this type of burn is not readable in the portable. Always gives up a Disc Error message when left as random or arranged by the above method. It does seem to burn fine if I select albums or songs and add them to a manual playlist??

Will mess with this some more later to see if I can narrow down what works and what doesn't.

Clarification on the Smartlist in question: RANDOM DATA CD

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2002, 05:06:32 pm »

suggestion: when ripping a cd with various artists, the files should be saved to (multiple artists)\[album]\[track], and not [artist]\[album]\[track]. as is, when encoding a soundtrack or compilation, all the tracks end up all over my albums folder and i have to organize it manually.

replacing [artist] with (multiple artists) in the file naming and location tab works, but then i have to switch it back and forth depending on what type of cd i am ripping.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up