INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - CD copy protection  (Read 3214 times)

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
OT - CD copy protection
« on: December 29, 2002, 06:48:40 am »

I Have read some confusing stuff on this subject at various websites, or maybe I'm the confused one, seems it varies according to country?
Does copy protection mean that these CD's aren't playable in car CD players?  And does it mean that I'll no longer be able to make compilation CD's of favourite tracks for my own use?

I'm really hoping for a pointer here, like to a "one stop shop" for the answers.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: OT - CD copy protection
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 06:53:13 am »

> Does copy protection mean that these CD's aren't playable in car CD players?

The copy protection is aimed at computers. Most home/car CD players should handle protected CD's just fine. The only way you'll know fer sure is to try it.

Rx

nila

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 01:51:39 am »

The protection wont effect it in any standard cd player.

It causes problems for your computer to read it though and there are a LOT of reported cases of DVD players having a hard time reading these cd's as well.

You wont be able to make any compilations from these cd's as you wont be able to copy any of the tracks to your computer from these cd's to make compilations from.

Quite a few people are fried with the protections and are bycotting any CD's with protection - you could consider joining them and letting your voice as the consumer be heard.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 03:37:29 am »

>> The protection wont effect it in any standard
>> cd player.
well there have been reports that some types of protection would not allow some standard CD players to read and play the music.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 06:57:17 am »

So it doesn't sound like there's a centralised repository/website yet  for our information?
And I have heard secondhand of someone who couldn't play a new CD in her home player, but not the actual details. It's normally legal to make a back-up copy of software, but I've heard this doesn't apply to Playstation games, & maybe CD's aren't software anyway. I'm still confused & not happy to know my compilations have come to an end. Guess I'll write to the Aust. Consumers Asscn, I'm thinking along those lines, Nila.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 08:21:44 am »

there are many ways around protected disks, and there are web sites dedicated to this you can search for on the internet.

It may not be a good subject to talk about here in this forum however.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 08:36:28 am »

there are many ways around protected disks, and there are web sites dedicated to this you can search for on the internet.

It may not be a good subject to talk about here in this forum however.

If the discussion concerns how to rip a CD for personal use, it's OK.

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 09:46:41 am »

i got 2 protected cds.
They do not play in any of my players.
Cd desk-dvd- discman and cd\mp3 cd discman.
so you cannot say they they play fine in players not a cdr.
This 2 cds are promo cds i got for 50 cents each in a second hand shop.
So i keep cool about it.
Beside this i play now both on my computer...........

I do not see why it is not the place to give links to clone cd-exactcd copy and other legal softwares.
Make a search ,you will find

Have a look to posts from DearHunter??-i do not remember his user name-
He gave a link to a program who deal with all protected cds.
he may read this post and post it again.
there is a site who give a list of all protected cds as well.
You may help people here by telling us the name of the protected cds you have.
Of cause it is not the place to tell you that  if you go around the protection,to put this cds on p2p is a good answer  to 4 letters corporates. So i do not tell you.......

nila

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 01:18:44 pm »

Wahoo - Glad you dont mind Jim.

I personally think the music industry needs to get sued by someone.

They're totally trying to control everything at all audio pretty much.

As you your self have said, you cant step into any digital rights or distribution area with your software because of fear of being sued. A LOT of companies are in the same area as you. The music industry bullies you all into not doing anything or advancing in those fields and then it just releases whatever it wants whenever it wants at a totally sub standard level and gives us no choice but to except it due to lack of competition.

Microsoft was sued for having a monopoly, the record industries need to be sued next.

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 02:03:17 pm »

I'm only concerned with fair use for myself, not trading or P2P, and not being able to make my compilations isn't my idea of fair use, even if this seems a minor thing. Anyway, I'll do the homework on this.  And I do see where software authors incl MJ have to be very careful not to upset the aggressive RIAA. The legalities of P2P are very frightening from what I've come across in last few days. A Brisbane ISP has been threatened with legal action from Warner Bros and a US user has had his service cancelled by his ISP. So as well as being concerned about my idea of fair use as against the RIAA's, I'm now trying to find the legalities of binary newsgroups, as I have got mp3's from some of those. Anyway, that's my whine, I bought my PC as an "entertainment package" & it doesn't seem so much fun any more.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 02:16:38 pm »

Maybe this will brighten your day, or at least take your mind off your particular problem.  The DVD part of this problem is about to be tackled by the same folks who elected our President.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=562&ncid=738&e=6&u=/ap/20021230/ap_on_hi_te/scotus_dvd_encryption

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 11:08:07 pm »

here is a link to the software--not free -$30

http://www.cd-mate.com

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2002, 02:31:56 am »

Thanks for the link, and to the member who pointed me to another forum, I've learned of several softwares that can help. If I choose wrongly & end up buying two, tough, there's no free lunch. At least my CD-RW drive gets the thumbs up in the forums I've visited. So once I learn how, I'll have the freedom to play & enjoy my music how and when I like, which is all I ever wanted. I reckon it's a darn shame the RIAA & Co treats us all as pirates, the legal eagles are getting megabucks that maybe should be going to the artists.

Cyndrax

• Recent member
  • Trying desperately to get it all together...
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2002, 08:18:13 am »

Wasn't pioneer pushing to disallow CD's with copy protection from being labelled as Audio CD's, as they don't follow the redbook (?) standard?

I think a better plan of attack than avoiding copy protected CD's is to buy them, open them, and return them as defective.

Brian

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2002, 09:05:13 am »

Wasn't pioneer pushing to disallow CD's with copy protection from being labelled as Audio CD's, as they don't follow the redbook (?) standard?

Yes i am not sure what the out come was how ever

I think a better plan of attack than avoiding copy protected CD's is to buy them, open them, and return them as defective.

Most return policies don't allow the return of CD's, if one is defective it is for the same CD exchange.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cyndrax

• Recent member
  • Trying desperately to get it all together...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2002, 09:51:58 am »

Most return policies don't allow the return of CD's, if one is defective it is for the same CD exchange.

Yes, but if you keep returning it as defective, bring in your CD player to show it doesn't work, eventually they will give you your money back.  Hopefully, stores and manufacturers will get sick of eating the cost of returns for copy protected CDs.

Brian

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2002, 02:00:16 pm »

I am wording a letter to the Australian Consumers Asscn, hopefully they'll survey Choice magazine subscribers on any experiences with copy-protected CD's & maybe then people's awareness will be raised. I'll certainly return any unplayable CD's, but carrying my player with me's an invitation to the Home Boys muggers !
Than ks for the help here - & still O/T - are binary N/G's considered piracy, I haven't been game to use any lately.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2002, 02:03:14 pm »

I don't normaly Buy new CD's must of the music now days is junk.

'What The World Needs Now Is Love' Charted At 07 In 1965

Listening to: 'What The World Needs Now Is Love' from 'Forrest Gump Soundtrack - Cd 1' by 'Jackie Deshannon' on Media Jukebox

Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2002, 03:00:20 pm »

Actually, I've read that some copy-protectd discs have a sticker that warns that the disc will not be playable on a computer and may not play on some (older) cd players and allows the customer to return it in exchange for another title.

Rob

phelt

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2002, 04:38:48 pm »

Specific to the topic post:
A resource that lists CD's that have been deliberately corrupted by their manufacturers can be found here.

General blather on the topic:
Philips is the company pushing for labeling changes to copy-protected CD's. They co-authored the Audio Compact Disc specification with Sony. CD's which have copy-protection invariably do not meet the specification, so Philips says they should not use the official Compact Disc logo or language. IMO, this is absolutely correct - one could reasonably argue that improper labeling of non-standard material as adhering to a standard is, in effect, deceptive practice.

One of the reasons for confusion about copy-protection is the proliferation of techniques - a bunch of different companies trying different methods. Some don't work in some CD or DVD players, some reportedly cause the copied CD to damage stereo equipment when played. I don't have confirmation of the latter - it sounds like convenient disinformation to me.

CD-Mate is a nice program, for many reasons other than those previously stated. Be aware that its CD labeling functionality requires a separate license (the last time that I checked).

Did you know that the music industry gets royalties on recordable CD's (CDR's) sold in the US, specifically to offset the expected piracy of their products? Doesn't matter what the CD's are used for, US buyers pay compensation for crimes they are expected to commit. Surely copy protections mean that they don't need that money any more  ;D

MachineHead

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2002, 06:07:06 pm »

Did you know that the music industry gets royalties on recordable CD's (CDR's) sold in the US, specifically to offset the expected piracy of their products? Doesn't matter what the CD's are used for, US buyers pay compensation for crimes they are expected to commit. Surely copy protections mean that they don't need that money any more

I think it's only blanks labeled as 'Music' cd-r's. It's a taxation on these discs' that goes to the labels. Anything that doesn't specifically say that (music) and they would have a counter-suit that would probably bite them back. Afterall, major corporations don't necessarily need music specific blanks, so why should they pay taxes on something that has nothing to do with music? They wouldn't. And that is why there are cd's labeled accordingly.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2002, 07:11:21 pm »

The DVD part of this problem is about to be tackled by the same folks who elected our President.

The Green Party?
That's right.
I'm cool.

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2002, 07:40:38 pm »

That link near blew my mind, phelt, didn't know there were so many of my own CD's on that list. Interestingly, no classical recordings there that I can recognise, and I've got quite a few recent classics/opera CD's that I'll have to physically check now. I'd no idea  that there were so many different copy protection methods, well at least all the money being spent isn't going to RIAA etc lawyers,  some programmers must be making an earn out of this nonsense.

rocketsauce

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2003, 12:55:29 am »

Did you know that the music industry gets royalties on recordable CD's (CDR's) sold in the US, specifically to offset the expected piracy of their products? Doesn't matter what the CD's are used for, US buyers pay compensation for crimes they are expected to commit. Surely copy protections mean that they don't need that money any more.

Actually, only discs that are made to be used specifically in standalone hi-fi cd recording units include royalties in their cost.  As MachineHead said, they are usually labelled something like "For Music".  "Normal" CD-Rs that are made to be used in CD-RW drives in a computer do not include a royalty payment as part of the their cost.  For that matter, though, royalties have pretty much always been included in the cost of blank cassette tapes.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up