INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview IX  (Read 2443 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview IX
« on: October 11, 2002, 01:31:55 pm »

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:    

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe. Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download the preview here:    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90066.exe    

1. Fixed: More tuning of how numeric grouping works.
2. Fixed: Several bugs / implementations in the new player core. (p.s. DSP works again)
3. Changed: Winamp 2 input plugins work with the new player core.
4. Fixed: Options dialog could crash Media Jukebox. (old version 8 stuff was getting in the way)
5. NEW: Added new JRImage core -- will provide more / better image support eventually.
6. NEW: Improved DB field creation system.
7. Changed: MP3 tagging much faster.
8. Changed: Several TV time-shifting improvements.
9. Fixed: Playing Now "reshuffle" was not working properly.
10. Fixed: Reordering tracks in Playing Now was not working.
11. Changed: "Need Real Player / Media Player" warnings only shown once per MJ run now.
12. Changed: Double-clicking not on an item in a list would still fire the double-click action.

Keep in mind that at this stage in the game, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.    

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.    

-Matt    
JRiver
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview IX
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 02:05:21 pm »

6. NEW: Improved DB field creation system.

Hey, Matt any elaboration on the improvements? Where should I be looking? Thanks!

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 02:22:55 pm »

Nevermind, I found it... :)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 02:29:04 pm »

Does not show any files anymore if browsing via My Computer in MJ.

(using WINXP Professional)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2002, 02:37:03 pm »

Reshuffle does not work

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 02:37:51 pm »

Clicking on my Handheld device (in CD, DVD & Handhelds) crashes MJ

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2002, 02:41:31 pm »

Thumbnails do not work (neither for images nor cover art)

RemyJ

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 03:15:08 pm »

Problems fixed (ones I reported, anyway)...

None

New Problems...

• Folders in "My Computer" are all empty.
  • "Clip Protection" is the only option for "Overflow Handling" in the DSP Studio.
  • If you right click on the drop target and select "External Tool", then "Configure External Tools..." it literally puts the string "Configure External Tools..." in the drop target.
  • In "File Naming and Location" you can't enter paths with leading or trailing periods.  I.E.  If I try to enter a path for track images like "m:\.coverart" the period gets stripped out as soon as I move the cursor out of the entry field.  Someone must have specifically coded this, why?  Any valid file system path should be allowed.

Problems remaining open...

• Still having problems with track entries not being written correctly in Media Library.  Several have now reported this problem.   Track 1 looks like it's being written under the column headers on the first draw of the list.

• The "Random" lists are all sorted by the sort order from Tree and View Settings which in my case is artist, album and track #.  Not very random.  You can send them to playing now or a device and rearrange them, but that's not very convenient.

• When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%.

• CD-Text is not being read  

• Column resizing still not working.  Auto-resize is off.  Only saves the first of 2 resize operations.  For example, resize a column and change views and the size isn't saved.  Resize a column, then immediately resize it again and the first resize is saved.  

• For data CDs the directory structure is literally written as "ARTIST\ALBUM" instead of the actual artist and album names.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.66
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium II 397 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 413 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.00.3502.1000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.3315.3727
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.3502.5332
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 05:22:22 pm »

Took the plunge and installed it just to see how it's going. About to uninstall it again in 10 mins as too many things aren't working for it to be a nicely useable jukebox. Nice to see whats happening with it though.

Search criteria for View Schemes aren't working.
The Video's tab in Media Library is showing nothing, even though there is loads.
If I click on the root 'Media Library' it shows all my files, if I try image it has none and if I try video it has none yet when I then click on audio expecting to see all of them in there it barely has any in there either. Some serious problems with that.
still would like to be able to customise the way that 'date imported' etc shows (want it to show as: X day's) without all the extra hours, mins etc. Same for last played field.

repeating the request for the 'send to' menu to have the playlists cascading in the same way they are in the main menu on the left. This right now is just a huge list which is totally unuseable to me as it is too big.

'Show Only' - This too, can it please be cascading as right now it has no practical use to me with one big list, the list just fills the whole screen and is totally un-userfriendly.

the drop target for - external tools - I'd like to be able to specify the default tool for each file type and have the drop target, if set to this option, launch the appropriate program depending on the type of file dropped on it.

Single Artist (complete) Single Artist (incomplete) etc I definitely would like to be fields so that for ones that are marked incorrectly, I can move into the correct category.

Would love for the DSP studio to be dockable and for it to also contain controls for tempo, pace etc.

Would love an 'intro' type mode to play X seconds of each song. Either like the first 30 seconds of each track, or maybe 20 seconds of each track starting at 30 seconds into the track.

Would LOVE the ability to have an extra toolbar that I can put tools on so I can seperate the tools and have some on one bar and the rest on another bar below it.
Also maybe a toolbar that plug-in's can install their own button into to make these more easily accessible.

For the 'search' wizard, I personally would want both Save and Load brought forwards so they're straight in the main menu - other people please give input on this so that we can see if I'm the only one that would want it there.

'Add Rule' for the wizard has no mention of 'location' which is a big one for me.

'Send To' menu - would LOVE to be able to configure this like the WinXP start menu specifying both how many items to make it remember and display and also be able to configure specific items to be sticky so they show at the top level no matter what.

Last played, number of times played, imported date etc. These are all fixed fields that cannot be modified. Logically this might make sense but I personally would love the ability to modify these fields as I wanted. Even if there were only 10 other people who wanted to be able to do this it would seem to have no down side as those that dont want to change it dont have to and it wont effect them.

'Show Only' - Would love to have another button like this that was dynamically created to give me a list of different 'View's (pre configured ordering of the file property columns).

It's coming along nicely but still in the early stages so I'm going to uninstall now and head back to my good old v8 to line up some music for myself :)

Nice work so far though guys :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2002, 08:08:02 pm »

Thanks everyone.  Look for a few builds early next week to tackle a lot of the existing mess.  We're over a lot of the tough internal architecture hurdles, so things may pick up a bit.

Also, we know handhelds don't work yet -- it'll be a week or two.

And just to explain a couple of reports:

bennyd

Sounds like too many things are going wrong.  Try a reboot / re-install / reboot.  If images and reshuffle still don't work, will you post your system info?  Thanks.

The "Random" lists are all sorted by the sort order from Tree and View Settings which in my case is artist, album and track #.  Not very random.  You can send them to playing now or a device and rearrange them, but that's not very convenient.

The selection of tracks is random, but sorting never is.  Maybe there should be a ~sort=random modifier or something...

When collapsing "Auto Smartlists (audio)" after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%.

It has to munch like 20 smartlists together because it's showing everything in and below the group.  We may be able to make it a bit faster, but there's just a lot of work to do there.

Thanks again everyone.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2002, 08:39:51 pm »

a "~sort=random" mod would absolutely rule, Matt.  I wholeheartedly give that idea a gigantic thumbs-up!

I also support being able to delete the "auto smartlist" playlist groups and having them stay deleted.  They come back every time I exit and restart MJ.  (course, I'm still on .63... not brave enough to take the plunge to the new engine)  ;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

RemyJ

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2002, 08:41:04 pm »

The selection of tracks is random, but sorting never is.  Maybe there should be a ~sort=random modifier or something...

It has to munch like 20 smartlists together because it's showing everything in and below the group.  We may be able to make it a bit faster, but there's just a lot of work to do there.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks Matt.  The ~sort modifier would be cool.  
Maybe showing what's below auto smartlists just isn't valid.   Given that's it's all recalculated and there are so many different criteria, maybe it should just show nothing.

The major problem for me right now is the painting problem where track 1 isn't showing in the list.

Looking forward for new stuff to test... ;)
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2002, 09:06:35 pm »

The major problem for me right now is the painting problem where track 1 isn't showing in the list.

Can you find any rhyme or reason for that one?  Tons of people have reported it, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.  Thanks for any more details...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2002, 02:57:31 am »

Hi Matt,
I have the same thumbnail problem as someone else reported for build 66.  There aren't any.  I think I've tried everything.  Reboot, reinstall, delete registry, delete jmd files, reimport, delete thumbnails folder, etc.

The ...\data\thumbnails folder is empty.

If I click on a blank thumbnail, I get the right image.  I can do a rotate on them also.

Curious.

Jim

CPU: Transmeta Crusoe 725 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 245 MB, Free - 112 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2002, 03:24:38 am »

Hi Matt,

Still the same problems after reinstalling, rebooting etc.:

- No files appearing in "My Computer"
- No Thumbnails anymore
- Reshuffle does not work instantly, if I reshuffle, nothing happens, I move away from playing now and go back, then the files are reshuffled

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1498 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2002, 07:34:25 am »

Hi Guys!

I get randomly crashes, when I want to play/view something. Sometimes I got them, sometimes not.  :( There is always this Windows-Message:

"Programerror

(yellow triangle) Media Jukebox.e.exe made errors and will be shut.
Restart the program.

An error log will be created."
(translated by me from German)
?
I wonder, what Media Jukebox.e.exe is.
The Message says "Media Jukebox.E.exe", but there is no such file on my HD.

And where I can find this error log to show you.

Install Path: E:\Programme\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1307 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 62 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436

Michael

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2002, 08:53:53 am »

OMG! Tagging is MUCH FASTER! Have a round on me :)

RemyJ

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2002, 11:23:10 am »

Can you find any rhyme or reason for that one?  Tons of people have reported it, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.  Thanks for any more details...

Well, I tried 9.0.66 on 4 machines...

• Dell Latitude CPXj w/ ATI Rage Mobility 8mb AGP
      Win 2000 Pro SP2
  • IBM Thinkpad 770Z w/ Trident Video Accelerator 3D 8mb
      Win 2000 Pro SP3  (reformatted and rebuilt 2 weeks ago)
  • "Ernie" a dual 400mhz PII w/ GeForce MX440 64mb
     Win 2000 Server SP3
  • "Ralph" a dual 1.8ghz P4XEON w/ ATI Radeon 8500 64mb
     Win 2000 Server SP3

All 4 exhibit the exact same behaviour...

• Track 1 looks like it's written UNDER the column headers.  On the the slower machines you can actually see track 1 getting written then the column headers getting written over it.
  • Only happens in "Media Library".  The auto smartlists that also have the same search bar don't have the problem.
  • Clicking on individual tracks causes individual tracks to get rewritten correctly.
  • Resizing the app window causes the entire list to be rewritten correctly.
  • When skinned, clicking off-app (the desktop background for instance) causes the entire list to be rewritten correctly.  When unskinned, clicking off-app doesn't do anything except remove focus.
  • Skinned or unskinned makes no difference (other than noted above)
  • Color depth makes no difference.
  • Screen resolution makes no difference.
  • Video hardware acceleration makes no difference.

The only thing the 4 machines have in common are MJ, my fingers, and some version of W2K.  I don't get it.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

michel

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2002, 01:02:42 pm »

[The major problem for me right now is the painting problem where track 1 isn't showing in the list.

Same problem here.

dragyn

la la la
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2002, 03:09:01 pm »

Incomplete/completed album are not working correctly for ape/apl image files. If the ape file is imported into the database, everything gets screwy.

Auto-hide bar definately needs a "always hide" option. It's interfering with my video / visualizations. Someone else mentioned to have the 3 views separate for the bar. This would be good because I don't use it in full screen but would like it on in Internal and maybe auto-hide for windowed.

Tagging need some work yet. Internal images are not properly displayed. Removal of tags don't match the database. Trying to get the tag right took me a lot of work and still not right. Main problem is when importing a directory with an image inside and it will associate that with the files yet the files already have images inside. Reapplying the internal image doesn't work. Only way is to remove the entire tag and start over. If MJ had something to force an entire tag removal/update, this should work.

I also think mp3 should have a tag dump aswell. Show both tags if they have both for v1 and v2. I like to see what is what.

One other thing is the send to/drop target. I would definately use it but it doesn't have "replace (all)" as an item.

This version definately sound better. I even made a strobe visualization to go with my purple lights, looks cool.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2002, 03:26:09 am »

In explorer, I don't have the MJ icon anymore associated to my media files (there's no icon anymore)
?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2002, 05:12:36 am »

In explorer, I don't have the MJ icon anymore associated to my media files (there's no icon anymore)
?

I see the same thing.  No surfin' jukebox.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2002, 01:30:23 pm »

Confirming no icons in explorer or thumbnails in MJ.  And my tagging didn't seem that much faster :(

I have some files which cannot be tagged it appears by MJ or ID3 Tag IT.  What is the best thing to do as they obviously bad files. Should I rip them to APE and then try and convert back to MP3 or should I re rip to a higher MP3 rate so that the files dont get compressed any more.  I need ot tag them but they just dont wanna be tagged ;D

Cheers

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2002, 05:29:12 pm »

You're still showing 90066. I got 90067 yesterday.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up