INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview VI...  (Read 7822 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview VI...
« on: September 24, 2002, 03:13:49 pm »

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:  

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe. Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download the preview here:  

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90060.exe

Notable changes:

-introduction of Hairstyle (tm) -- to access: full screen -> "menu" keyboard button
-converter works again
-http:// files would cause MJ to crash
-cover art could not be stored inside files
-rewrote Fill Properies from Filename(s) logic -- hopefully smarter now
-Renaming / moving files with the built-in explorer would not always update the database properly
-DSP Studio's "Clip Protection" would rebound much too quickly during low volume portions
-album analyzer wouldn't always analyze / re-analyze when necessary
-view scheme groups didn't have "Add View Scheme..." right-click option
-devices always showed 0's for the sequence
-smartlists would update twice when first displaying
-during tree updates, too many items could get expanded
-"top hits" and "recently played" were both showing the wrong end of the spectrum
-Media Jukebox would lose keyboad focus when starting playback for the first time
-shift+tab would crash the file properties list if focus was on the first item

Keep in mind that at this stage in the game, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.  

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.  

-Matt  
JRiver
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview VI...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 03:32:39 pm »

OK, Hairstyle, eh?  Wacky.  Where do you get these things, Matt?

A little description.

For folks who are fooling around with TV, this is the beginning of a TV First Page mode.  A little song, a little dance, a little selzer down my pants.  It's Show Time!

To get there, you may have to go to the Playing Now view first, or even full screen playing now.  This will change.  Once you're there, press the little "menu" button several keys to the right of your space bar.  On my keyboard, it is between the ctrl and the Windows keys.

What you should see next is an image with 3 choices.  More in the next build.  Both your mouse and your keyboard cursor keys should make this go.  After that, you're on your own.

This was one small step for Matt, one giant step for JRiver.  Thanks, Matt.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 03:36:29 pm »

Like the picture I chose?  I had a nice one of Nikolay with a rubber chicken all queued up, but then decided I like my job too much to pull that stunt.

Also, use the keyboard up, down, left, right, and enter to navigate Hairstyle. (left and right go into a level and out of a level)

[ edited by gateley to add a link to rubber chicken picture: http://www.sokratov.com/images/1.jpg ]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 03:40:56 pm »

That's one giant step for rubber chicken, one leap into space for Matt.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 03:59:56 pm »

If you want to change the Hairstyle images, this is the directory:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Hairstyle
:-/

RemyJ

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 04:03:14 pm »

and what if you're not privliged enough to have a "menu" key?  ;D
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 04:16:08 pm »

rewrote Fill Properies from Filename(s) logic -- hopefully smarter now

I am still having trouble with this.  Here's my filename:

Ubiquity - Rewind! - 10 - Billy Jean (Michael Jackson) - Shinehead - Billy Jean (Michael Jackson) - Shinehead.mp3

Here's my mask:
[IGNORE]-[IGNORE]-[TRACK #]-[NAME]-[ARTIST]-[IGNORE]

I'm getting:

Artist: Rewind! (** Expecting Shinehead **)
Name: Billy Jean (Michael Jackson) - Shinehead (** Expected Billy Jean (Michael Jackson) **)
Track #: 0 (** Expected 10 **)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 04:24:20 pm »

Sean, I just did the exact thing you described (same filename, same rule) and everything worked.

Can anybody else try this and see if it's working?

Do you have extra spaces in the string or something?  And do you have 9.0.60 for sure?

Also, what happens if you backup, then erase your .jmd files (library) from the MJ data directory and re-import?  I think your library may be messed.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 04:33:53 pm »

note -- build just updated to add Playlists to HairStyle

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 05:12:14 pm »

-introduction of Hairstyle (tm) -- to access: full screen -> "menu" keyboard button

maybe I'm the last of my kind, but I don't have a menu key on my keyboard (both of my computers...).
I'm still using a 1980's IBM keyboard (the one with the click)
any other method available to call Haristyle?

Ingo

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 05:19:37 pm »

We'll add another way to get there in the next build.

dragyn

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 05:53:45 pm »

album type isn't working correctly for ape/apl files. All files show as incomplete. Removing the ape image file corrects this.

-http:// files would cause MJ to crash
http:// still crashes MJ. I made a post for about every stream bug recently in a v8 thread. ALL the bugs still apply and crash/mess up MJ in both versions.

MJ still insists on tagging a http://  stream which is impossible.

Hairstyle looks cool. Nice work. Won't activate on a Track Info vis using the key however.

Icons in My Computer are not using the same bit depth (whatever you want to call it) as in the normal explorer. Images look streched out.

Importing music (mp3s) is really slow compared to v8. The CPU cycles in MJ are at like 01 to 02. This is across a network (\\PC). V8 just zips though these same files.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.60
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 805 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 82 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

dragyn

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 06:34:07 pm »

Was trying to make a vis but those auto-hide bars keep stealing the focus. Anyway we can have an option to hide them permanently?

Also, when using "None", MJ doesn't update the image area for the album art or the jukebox icon.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2002, 07:20:06 pm »

BUG...

Am still getting this error message on new build.

Sometimes when playing a list of songs, a song will produce the following error when it is about to be played...

"Playback Engine: Media Jukebox is unable to acquire license for this file.  Windows Media Error: 0x80070020".

However I can double click on the same song & it will always play.

Am using WMA files.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RemyJ

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2002, 07:43:19 pm »

Problems confirmed fixed...

• Sequence Numbers in CD,DVD & Handhelds are still all zeros.:  FIXED

• If you select a CD drive and change the artist or album for a CD prior to ripping, the original version is saved in the removables database AND the new version is saved but with (0x00000000) as the volume id.  The result is that if you put the CD back in, you get the old info instead of the corrected info.   FIXED

• Whenver I select a smartlist in the tree, the list draws twice.  For the "Random" lists, there are different items in the list the first and second times.   FIXED

• When you drag and drop Playlists into Playlist Groups any groups that have been expanded and collapsed at leasts once re-expand themselves.  FIXED

• Occasionally, the entire library shows up as "incomplete" in both the Media Library/Album Type view and the "Tasks - Incomplete Albums" smartlist.  Restarting the app sometimes fixes the problem.  
    FIXED

Problems still open...

• CD-Text still not being read

• Still having problems with track entries not being written correctly in Media Library.  Several have now reported this problem.   Track 1 looks like it's being written under the column headers on the first draw of the list.

• Column resizing still not working.  Auto-resize is off.  Only saves the first of 2 resize operations.  For example, resize a column and change views and the size isn't saved.  Resize a column, then immediately resize it again and the first resize is saved.

• Media server is still returning local references I.E.  "c:\usr\music..." instead of "m01p://host/c:\usr\music...".  (no problem for now).

• CDs now won't play at all.  If you send the entire CD to playing now, the player skips to track 2 and stops.  Press play again and it advances to track 3 and stops.  Restarting the app doesn't fix the problem anymore.

Not sure if this is a bug or feature...

• If you click on "Random - One audio CD worth" you get the list.  If you then right click on "Random - ..." and send to the cd burner, the list get's re-calculated before the send so you don't get what was in the window originally.

Not sure how far along the burning engine is...
  SONY CDRW CRX175A recognized by the drivers.
  Nero and MJ V8 both burn fine.
  Internal ASPI

• Audio CD burns always result in an immediate WRITE failure: TARGET error 04h 00h 04h
  • For data CDs the directory structure is literally written as "ARTIST\ALBUM" instead of the actual artist and album names.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.60

CPU: Intel Pentium II 395 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 408 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.00.3502.1000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.3315.3727
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.3502.5332
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2002, 04:29:16 am »

We'll add another way to get there in the next build.

great.

btw. rising the restore limit to 10 was a great thing as well. I'm still not really happy with the new licensing scheme, but this is going to work for me. Got one customer back.

Ingo

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2002, 07:27:49 am »

At what point can we assume that database formats are going to stay the same?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2002, 07:29:27 am »

Hi Doof.  MJ 9 data is frozen now, with build 9.0.60.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2002, 07:42:11 am »

Hairstyle is pretty cool. I have a couple of questions, though.... and they're both graphical in nature. :P

1. What are the chances of getting it to use the button images from the skin currently in use?

2. Are the button images going to be smoothed out at all? I have my resolution set to 1400x1050 and the buttons look jaggy (they actually look jaggy no matter what resolution I set it to).

Just curious. I really like the idea behind it. It's going to make using a remote a breaze! :)

Actually, I have a suggestion for it already. :P

Would it work to put really long lists as 3 or 4 button wide grid instead of just one button wide? I'm not sure how that would play out with various resolutions, but it might make find things in a really long list even easier.

And now for a bug :

Clean File Properties doesn't capitalize filenames correctly.  "C:\Documents and Settings\Doof\My Documents\My Music\Hans Zimmer\Black Hawk Down\Hans Zimmer - Minstrel Boy.ape" becomes "C:\documents and Settings\doof\my Documents\my Music\hans Zimmer\black Hawk Down\hans Zimmer - Minstrel Boy.Ape" for instance.

I have others at home, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Someday I'll get a chance to start posting some serious bug reports. :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2002, 07:44:55 am »

Hi Doof.  MJ 9 data is frozen now, with build 9.0.60.

So is my database from 59 ok? I just installed 60 over the top of 59 and it seemed to work ok. Should I create a new library or should I be good to go?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2002, 07:59:09 am »

Yeah, the format didn't change from 59 to 60.  It'd tell you if you needed to start over.

From here out, we'll provide an upgrade path for existing libraries.  Upgrading may require an automatic rescan of all file tags, but in any event, you won't have to start over.

DocLotus

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2002, 08:13:11 am »

BUG...

I reported on this back in build 57 but it's still there.

Submit to YADB database is messed up. I have tried several new CD's with last three builds... all with similar results.

I created a new CD track naming that was not on the YADB database.  I then did a Submit to CD database.  The results were messed up upon reloading from the YADB. Track numbers were changed, several track names were missing to be replaced by only Track 6, Track 7, Track 8, & Track 9. Also some track names were moved to other tracks track 1 stayed as track 1, track 3 became track 2, track 5 became track 3, track 7 became track 4, track 9 became track 5.

I re-imported the files from my hard drive & they were all correct.  I then re-submitted again to YADB with the same exact bad results.  What's going on?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2002, 08:15:49 am »

Missing Feature...

Would like to have the choice of using CDDB or YADB on MJ9.  Currently it seems that only YADB is available.  How come? ?

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2002, 08:40:24 am »

Here's my mask:  
[IGNORE]-[IGNORE]-[TRACK #]-[NAME]-[ARTIST]-[IGNORE]

Sean, I just did the exact thing you described (same filename, same rule) and everything worked.

Can anybody else try this and see if it's working?

And do you have 9.0.60 for sure?  

I tried this morning, and it worked.  I apologize Matt, although I was running .60, I think I had not yet rebooted after installing .60, so it was running an old DLL.

DocLotus

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2002, 08:51:05 am »

New Bug...

Can't select any menu... pull-down, or right click when a song is playing.  The menu will come up but will disappear as soon as the mouse hovers over it.  As soon as the song stops all is ok until I play another song. :-/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2002, 09:28:23 am »

Doc,
I saw the same thing at home and reported it to Matt.  It's a focus problem.  You can use the keyboard to work around it until the next build.  I found I could do the right click, then use keys for what I wanted.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2002, 11:13:14 am »

Good job with the hairstyle.
I am sure you will improve it to somehow to view all albums that are currently selected at a particular point as you go down (or up) the tree. I imagine having a fixed button to switch to thumbnails view of current selection. (and back arrow can take you back).

Scheme grouping is a very nice idea. I natural expection is to allow subgroups of scheme (because playlists have it).

DocLotus

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2002, 11:24:36 am »

New Bug (this build only)...

When I have the box checked... 'Store Image(s) inside files when possible', the image disappears form both my harddrive & from the album in MJ. ?

Am using WMA files.

DocLotus

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2002, 11:40:10 am »

APPEARENCE ISSUE...

* Track Number column is apx twice as wide as it needs to be.
* Duration column is a little wider then it needs to be.

As I have these two as columns 1 & 2, they take up too much room.

hiredirects

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2002, 11:46:39 am »

Hello,

I understand that the format are frozen in the .60 build....that means the library, right?  

Also, is there a way to import the playlists from version 8 yet?

thanks,
HD
Live life to the fullest, fight for what you believe in, and go down swinging.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2002, 11:55:20 am »

If the properties are frozen does this mean there will be no possability in the future to have the custom fields that I create also in the file properties ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
BUG: right click menu disappears
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2002, 12:14:41 pm »

If you right click on a view scheme or playlist during a song is playing, as soon as you move your mouse to make a selection, right the menu disappears.

This does not happen if no song is playing.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2002, 12:16:04 pm »

- Playing now list doesn't follow the now playing song in the list (the icon follows but you have to manually scroll down to see what's playing)
- When streaming an MP3 station, it tries to save the tags which is ofcourse not possible
- When deleting a file in playing now, the now playing song is out of focus (was a bug in 8.0 as well but was fixed)
-In "My Computer" it doesn't show "My Documents" at the root (I'm using Win XP SP1, see screenshot)
- When clicking on my NEO Jukebox in Handhelds, it gives an error and MJ crashes (see screenshot)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2002, 12:47:52 pm »

When playing a song, right clicking with the mouse on a song in your library or playlist is almost impossible, the menu dissapears directly (refreshing the screen).
When you stop playing, it works fine

Victorag

• Recent member
  • Early retirement is to die young...
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2002, 12:49:56 pm »

I went from 9.57 to 9.60 and ow I only have 30 days left. I guess my registration no longer is any good wit version 9? Was this intended?

Victor
Victor

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2002, 01:00:34 pm »

Victor,
You may be using a version 7.x license.  It won't work with 9.0.  We just made the switch.  

Jim

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2002, 09:01:01 pm »

<snip!>
-In "My Computer" it doesn't show "My Documents" at the root (I'm using Win XP SP1, see screenshot)
<snip!>

Mind you that "My Documents" never shows in the root of "My Computer" in Explorer.  "My Documents", "My Computer", "My Network Places", "Recycle Bin", and every folder on your desktop are all on the same level.

Edit in response to following post:  Doh!  I didn't even notice that my network places is showing in MJ.  It's typically a "level above" my computer, so I didn't even expect it.  My bad for misreading ya, dude.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2002, 10:11:15 pm »

ok, what I mean then is that "My Documents" doesn't even show on the same level as "My Network places".
And "My Documents" is on my Desktop.
5see screenshot previous post and you will see what I mean)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2002, 10:38:09 pm »

Unconstructive banter:

I just wanna say that it's quite fun running these previews and watching MJ grow up.  You guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

NoCodeUK

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2002, 05:03:19 am »

Don't know if I understood the post so if I didn't just ignore me :)

In XP My documents is not stored at the root level it is actually stored in your Profile which should be C:/Documents and Settings/<User Name>/ or something similar.  Not exactly sure as I am at work where weare only running NT4 Eeeeuugh! :-/

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2002, 05:59:04 am »

We build the "My Computer" tree starting at "My Computer" in Explorer --- however, we also tack on "My Network Places" for good measure.

And I see "My Documents" in the first level as it stands.  Do other people?

kranium256

• Recent member
  • burn baby burn
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2002, 07:32:55 am »

hey man
what is this hairstyle anyway???
i use dun so i have to debate on whether to download .60 or not...
so what is this hairstyles and whats so great about it[/color]

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2002, 09:01:56 am »

Guys,
    Great job on 9!  One problem I'm having tho...  had it the last builds and amd having it here.  When I want to change the cover art directory to the one I use, I go into "Tree and View Settings" --> "Display Image Location" and click the little button with the 3 dots.  What I get is a statndard Windows select dialogue, but at the top it says "Select Image File", not a directory.  The box is requesting a filename and the drop down menu for the type is Image Files (*.jpg. *.bmp, *.gif).  This is a FRSH install of Windows, I just formatted and re-installed all my progs.  System info is as follows:

Media Jukebox  9.0.60

CPU: AMD Athlon 1396 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106

I would post a screenshot but I don't have a provider.  Thanks guys!

phatrabt

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2002, 09:46:14 am »

phatrabt,
That location just changes the default image for times when there is no art.

See doof's good advice in the following message.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2002, 12:28:32 pm »

Isn't it easier to change that in the File Naming & Locations Options? Under Track Image Location?

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2002, 01:59:03 pm »

I'll try it out when I get home.  But that still doesn't address that fact that the dialogue is asking for a file, NOT a directory!  I'm just trying to figure out why it's showing that when it's obvious a directory is being selected.

phatrabt

EDIT:  DUH!!!!!  I just read the above posts a little more thoroughly and smacked myself in the forehead.  I'll take a look at this when I get home and see what's going on.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up