Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD  (Read 25528 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD
« on: December 06, 2002, 01:14:58 pm »

Hello Everyone.

For anyone coming to this site for the first time,  please take a look at the help file created by Adam....

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/

It is an incredibly helpful resource.

I have just posted a new Plug-in (3.0.27). If you install it, please get the latest MC (9.0.87).

3.0.27 includes:

1) Fix for too many files going to folder  F19.

2) Added an option to update tags during Synchronization.

Please post any issues here and I will take a crack at them on Monday.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
Re: IPOD
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 02:11:53 pm »

Awesome Steve, thanks for the new build.  Fun testing for the weekend.

Updated the help file btw.  Used Robohelp, so hopefully it's easier to navigate.

Also, added some new sections.

If Jim likes it, tell him to steal what he wants.  Or there's always my motto:  "Will Work for 20 Giger"   ;) ;D ;D

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 03:33:05 pm »

Thanks Adam.  I love it!  It's a pleasure to receive an unexpected gift.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 03:58:00 pm »

>> "Will Work for 20 Giger"
never heard that before
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 04:22:17 pm »

It's a pleasure to receive an unexpected gift.

'Tis the season Jim!   ;)

Steve:

Here are the results of my testing:

1. Looks like GUI lock is back.  Here's what I did:  I formatted my iPod for MJ.  Then I sync'd my tunes (2002 songs).  Everything worked fine. I did not get GUI lock at all.  Then I did another sync immediatly after, no changes to anything, just another sync.  It raced through the first 260 songs or so, then I got GUI lock. If finished OK eventually.  Strange that.

2. I also saw the Update tags feature and tried that out.  Didn't work for me.  I added some songs, then went into Media Libary and changed the track title on 20 songs.  I then did a sync and checked that check box.  No dice, the songs remained the same on my iPod, they didn't reflect the changes I made in MC

One thing of note on this feature.  Seems to me that this should always be the process, meaning it should work like the Safely Convert files feature. My only caveat to that would be if updating the tags causes a big degredationin performance.  If that is the case than you should leave it up to the user to decide (meaning leave it the way you have it implemented).

3. I checked out the F19 file folder problem, that didn't work for me either.  I have even MORE songs in my F19 folder now (1,889).  Before I had something like 100 songs in the F00 through F18 and the 400 or so in the F19 folder.  Something's strange here. I'm sure I have the new build as the "update tags" feature wasn't there before.

I'll try again with smaller sync's and report back.

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 01:49:57 pm »

I have just posted a new Plug-in (3.0.27). If you install it, please get the latest MC (9.0.87).

That build was pulled.  It will crash when you go to Playing Now.  If you want to try it anyway, you can find it here:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90087.exe

Thanks for any patience you may have left.   ;)

TimB

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 04:20:00 pm »

That build was pulled.  It will crash when you go to Playing Now.  If you want to try it anyway, you can find it here:
The plug-in build or the MC9 build?  For what its worth both worked for me.

I did my weekly iPod update which involved adding the files I'd ripped this week (by sending a library load smartlist to the plug-in and having it figure which files I already had) and adding/deleting some playlists.  No problems at all using both new builds except for occasional GUI freezes which seemed to resolve themselves.

Did I mention that I love Media Center and my iPod?  Well just in case I haven't...I do! :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 04:30:21 pm »

>> The plug-in build or the MC9 build?
MC Build

>> Did I mention that I love Media Center and my iPod?
Send it to me, i will test it for you and see if the quality is ok for you.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TimB

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2002, 01:17:09 am »

>> Did I mention that I love Media Center and my iPod?
Send it to me, i will test it for you and see if the quality is ok for you.

Thanks for your generous offer but my iPod and I are inseparable.

-=Tim=-

Sei

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 06:59:54 am »

As a biginner, I very much enjoy reading Adam's online help. BTW, where can I find the "Safely Convert" function, which the help file mentions as below.

"MC's iPod plugin has a "Safely Convert" function"

Thanks in advance.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 02:29:55 pm »

Hey Sei, I should have been more clear in that. The "Safely Convert" function is built into the plugin.  There's nothing you have to do.  If, during Upload or Sync MC finds a file of a type that they iPod doesn't support (WMA for example), it will automatically convert it to MP3.  

At least I believe that's how Steve implemented it.  Steve, set me straight if I'm wrong on that.  I haven't tested it myself, but I believe that's how it works.

Adam

TimB

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2002, 11:59:07 pm »

I think its in the iPod plug-in's Options button but defaulted on so there's no need to change it unless you do NOT want safely convert.

Again, subject to Steve's correction as I'm at my desktop machine which I don't plug my iPod into so no plug-in.  :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 05:01:20 am »

Good morning all,

Everyone,

Can others confirm Adam's file distribution to Folder F19 bug?

In regards to the Safety Convert, this option can be found if you select the "Options" button when you are preparing to upload files. If you select "Force file conversion during uploads." MJ will convert any files that you are uploading that are not in the selected format and bitrate.

Adam,

When  you modified the track title, what MJ field are you referring to? Filename or Name? If you modify FileName, then it is not treated as a duplicate on iPod.

Steve

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 06:58:44 am »

Newest build, newest (broken, hehe) MC9.

Skipping is much better, but definately still a problem.  None of the songs that skipped on me this morning have any odd characters in their filenames (besides the - character... and it's in ALL of my files).  Most files are still going into F19:

F00      10      
F01      11      
F02      14      
F03      8      
F04      6      
F05      11      
F06      14      
F07      7      
F08      12      
F09      5      
F10      13
F11      8
F12      8
F13      13
F14      10
F15      6
F16      9
F17      10
F18      11
F19      2274

(Post would be shorter if I could figure out how to use YABB's table function, heh.  I'm still curious to see what F00 - F39 would do, :P)

About the safety convert... based on what you described, here's how I understand it works now:
    Selected format/bitrate = MP3 CBR 192kbps
    • Song #1, MP3 CBR 192kbps -- not converted.
    • Song #2, OGG -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    • Song #3, MP3 VBR (High) -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    • Song #4, MP3 CBR 128kbps -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    • Song #5, WAV -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    • Song #6, AIFF -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    • Song #7, AA (Audible) -- converted to target format/bitrate.
    If the above is correct, I suggest changing it so that songs are only checked for format - not bitrate.  The way that I had it in mind, only song #2 in the above example would have been converted; that is, only songs that aren't inherently compatible with the iPod would be converted.  If I read you right, the way it is now, the plugin will convert an MP3 to an MP3 if the bitrate doesn't match, which seems to be a waste.

Anyway, I hope you had a restful weekend, ;)  Looking forward to this week's goodies!

Kurt
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Sei

• Recent member
    « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2002, 07:44:36 am »

I report same "F19 file folder problem". 7 to 8 songs in F1 to F18 folder, but Most of the songs (700 something)in F19.

Also I confirm Safely convert function work. Very nice! ;D
    I agree that only formats which is not supported by ipod should be converted. I'm converting my CD's to APE format into my PC, and then when uploading to ipod, I want them in MP3. So, it will be nicer, if it is selectable. That is whether to convert ALL formats to predetermined format, or Only thouse not supported by ipod.  

Another observation is that, MC9 was very unstable, when I played around IPOD for uploading. Newest IPOD plug-in, MC9.0.84.
    It shutdown a few times. But with patience I will wait. Only if you continue to make nice things like "Safely convert function" ;D

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #15 on: December 09, 2002, 08:53:23 am »

Adam,

When  you modified the track title, what MJ field are you referring to? Filename or Name? If you modify FileName, then it is not treated as a duplicate on iPod.

I'm referring to MC's Track Name field.  I did *not* change the file name as I figured that the plugin would see a different file name and re-upload the songs.  

In most cases this feature will really not be needed for me because if I change Artist, Album, Track# or Track Title I'll rename the file to match since the file is renamed, the iPod will automatically upload the new version and delete the old.  But if I change Genre, that wouldn't have any effect on the file name, so the Update Tags feature needs to come into play here.  And I do a lot of Genre changing as I refine my library more and more.

Not everyone is a picky as I am about renaming files when their properties change...I just have a habit of doing it.  But for folks that don't rename files when they change the above mentioned tags, the Update Tags feature will be really important.

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2002, 01:06:27 pm »

As an aside, I notice that the forums were renamed a bit today.  Any thoughts on moving this thread to the development  forum?
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2002, 01:19:57 pm »

Hello again,

A new build is posted (3.0.28) with a minor change to hopefully resolve the random folder issue which will hopefully take care of any residual skipping file issues.

Kurt,

The conversion is as you describe it. The reason for doing the conversion if the bitrate is different is that this is what lots of people need to do for all of the players where space is an issue (unlike all of you lucky iPod owners). You seem to feel pretty strongly about it so I can make it optional when I have some time.

Adam,

I am confused.  If you modify the "Name" field in MC this shoud be updated on iPod. Also Genre or Artist or Album.  Which MC  field do you mean when you say "Track Title"? Sorry to not follow you.  Also, if you need the Plug-in to modify Track# I will need to add it.

Kurt,

In regards to the Development Forum, maybe, but I think more people will see the information here.

Thanks all.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
    « Reply #18 on: December 09, 2002, 02:13:01 pm »

I've downloaded the latest version of MC (9.0.88) and the new plugin (3.0.28) and given it a stress test.

I started with a freshly restored and formatted iPod and uploaded my full synch list in one go, a total of 1664 songs. The upload went fine taking around 35 minutes.

Unfortunately I still get the F19 problem. I currently have 800 songs in that folder compared to around 50 in each of the other folders.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #19 on: December 09, 2002, 03:07:32 pm »

Steve:

All I did for my test was to rename the "Name" value on some files in MJ.  This is the song name.  I just did it in Media Library.   I didn't do anything fancy.  Just changed the name on a song, uploaded and the new name wasn't reflected on the iPod.

As far as Track#.  Yes, that is going to be important.  For example, if I have the Track#'s wrong on an Album and correct them, when I do my next sync, MC should pick up the change and re-upload the song.

I hope that's clear.....really, I can't think of any other way to put it?   :-/

Adam

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
    • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
    « Reply #20 on: December 10, 2002, 03:10:01 am »

OK, new build of everything.

I reformat and perform a sync. Everything gets copied back to the iPod just fine. I change the definition of one synchronized smart list to include only files with a rating >3. I go to sync and MJ crashes. If I sync with that one smart list unchecked, MJ doesn't crash.

If I delete a playlist from MJ and then sync, the playlist is not removed from the iPod. The playlist on the iPod ends up getting filled with two garbage entries instead of being deleted altogether.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
    Intel Pentium III 1004 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 545 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
    Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
     Drive U:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
     Drive W:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
     Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
     Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: YAMAHA CRW2100S   Addr: 2:5:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
     Drive W: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
     Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
     Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: 90 %

SteveG

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2002, 06:06:37 am »

Good morning all,

A new build (3.0.29).

The F19 problem is fixed. I mean it this time.

I added tag update for Track #.

Fixed bug in deleting empty playlists after synch.

JGourd,

The playlist delete is fixed. I could not duplicate the crash with rating>3. Perhaps the change I made to the playlist delete fixed this.

Adam,

The reason I was hammering on the difference between the "Name" field and Track title, is that when I update tags for "Name" and synch, they get updated fine. Just to be sure, you are synching and not uploading the files directly, right?  If so, try changing another field like Genre or Artist and see if the update gets picked up. Also, be sure to have today's plug-in . Thanks.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2002, 06:45:21 am »

Good morning, Steve!  I'm anxious to try out the "I mean it" version, ;) -- Songs were still skipping on the way to work this morning (though I haven't checked the F folders yet).

Tag updates with .28/MC9.88 worked for me last night.  One thing about them:  I tested synching one playlist, and every synch I would change tags on the songs therein.  Every iPod-compatible tag was updated each synch, but the track # tag didn't appear to get updated.  When I disconnected, I found that the track #s were getting updated, it just didn't look like it when viewed via the plugin.

Very satisfied with tag updates via synch though, as well as with the "delete files not in list" option.  I would like to suggest that both options be enabled by default.  Also suggest "memory" for the synch options, so that options checked last time will be checked this time.
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
    • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
    « Reply #23 on: December 10, 2002, 06:56:56 am »

Good morning all,

A new build (3.0.29).

Steve

Steve,

May be a silly question but...how do i check what version of the plug in I am using?  Each time you post a new one i go to the plugin page and click on the Ipod plug in.  However it never mentions a version number.

Thanks

Graham

TimB

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2002, 07:00:26 am »

Very satisfied with tag updates via synch though, as well as with the "delete files not in list" option.  I would like to suggest that both options be enabled by default.  Also suggest "memory" for the synch options, so that options checked last time will be checked this time.
    I agree with the default on tag updates, can't imagine why someone would not want that.  However I STRONGLY don't agree (sorry Kurt) on "delete files not in list", its a destructive action which IMHO should be requested and I can imagine a number of reasons for not using it.  Just imagine updating your 20 gig ipod and then doing a playlist-only update and accidentally having this option selected!!! ARGH!  :o  I agree with "remembering" the "update tag" choice if its feasible.

:)

-=Tim=-

Kurt Young

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2002, 07:59:59 am »

TimB,

I'm on the other side on this one, for sure.  In my opinion, the whole point of a synch is to make the iPod look like your synched lists.  If you don't remove files from the iPod that aren't on the lists, you're not synchronizing... you're just uploading.  There's already a great upload queue if you just want to upload files, but if you wanna synch, well... it should synch.  That means updating tags every time and deleting non-listed files every time.

I'm of the mind that the "Update Tags" and "Delete Files Not In List" options shouldn't even be options... they should be mandatory.  Again, a synchronization is defined (IMHO) as making the iPod mirror your synched lists.  That means adding the listed songs, updating the listed songs that are already on the iPod but have changed, and removing songs from the iPod that aren't on the lists... it's part of what a synch is.

I know that the plugin isn't done cooking yet, but when it's out of beta and "final," I say turn both options on and then remove the ability to turn them off.  Less checkboxes, less confusion.  There's a clear line between synchronization and manual uploading/deleting -- to blur that line will make the plugin as a whole harder to grasp for new users.  The whole K.I.S.S. line of thought.  Remember, we're veterans in this fight... we know more about this plugin than the new recruits and we should try to make enlisting as easy as possible for them.
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
    « Reply #26 on: December 10, 2002, 09:05:24 am »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Steve but the F19 fix didn't work here using MC 9.0.88 and plugin 3.0.29.

Once again I used the Apple updater to restore my iPod, formatted it for MJ and synched my playlists. 1666 songs were uploaded, 814 of which went in the F19 folder.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #27 on: December 10, 2002, 09:55:23 am »

Steve:

I'll try again w/the new build posted today but....

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but update tags didn't work for me last night.

Steps I took:

Connected iPod
    Formatted iPod for MJ (still get GUI lock on this btw)
    Performed Sync
    Changed the Album Name on a an albums worth of songs(from "Lost In Space" to "Lost In Space1")
    Performed Sync, with Delete Files Not in List and Update Tags checked
    Sync finished
    Disconnected iPod
    Checked iPod *NO* songs.  

Interesting no?  The songs were there (when viewed in explorer), but they didn't show up on the iPod itself.

Did another sync w/o those options checked.  Still nothing on the iPod.

Reformatted for MJ
    Sync (nothing checked)
    Song's on iPod fine

Went to sleep.

I've had this repeated before.  Am I just weird?  I'll try again tonight.

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2002, 11:16:38 am »

<snip!>
    Am I just weird?
    <snip!>

Yes.  ;)
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2002, 11:52:35 am »

Kurt and TimB,
    So we don't get into a "Tastes Great, Less Filling" debate, I implemented in the next version of MJ 9 the abililty for your selections to be remembered so all can be happy.  By default, "Save Tags" is on.

Graham,
    Go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives and you will find the currently installed version.

Phil,
    You are bringing me down. Can you download the Plug-in one more time and try again (even if you have 3.0.29).

Adam,
    Can you try synching one small playlist with just a few files and see if you can narrow down the problem. I can't reproduce it here. Can anyone else?

Thanks,

Steve

TimB

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2002, 11:55:40 am »

TimB,
    I know that the plugin isn't done cooking yet, but when it's out of beta and "final," I say turn both options on and then remove the ability to turn them off.  Less checkboxes, less confusion.  There's a clear line between synchronization and manual uploading/deleting -- to blur that line will make the plugin as a whole harder to grasp for new users.  The whole K.I.S.S. line of thought.  Remember, we're veterans in this fight... we know more about this plugin than the new recruits and we should try to make enlisting as easy as possible for them.

Ohmygod! :o

I use a master synch list to load up my ipod with 20 gig o'stuff on a weekly basis and daily playlists to update it and give me some variety.  I'm not sure what I'd do with your scenario.

I do understand KISS but you've also got to give your users flexibility and not just tie them into one particular mode of updating.  One of the cool things about MC is its flexibility.

Steve, close your ears (or eyes).  Aieeeeeeeeeeeeee! ;D

-=Tim=-

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
    « Reply #31 on: December 10, 2002, 01:17:38 pm »

Phil,
    You are bringing me down. Can you download the Plug-in one more time and try again (even if you have 3.0.29).

I'm really sorry to have to tell you this Steve. I downloaded the plugin again and made sure it was listed as 3.0.29 in the plug-in manager page. I then formatted my iPod using MC (I didn't restore this time). I then ran my normal synch of 24 playlists consisting of 2914 songs including duplicates. The synch ran through fine, uploading 1667 songs to my iPod. On checking the F19 folder it has 796 songs in it.

TimB

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2002, 01:45:51 pm »

Kurt and TimB,
    So we don't get into a "Tastes Great, Less Filling" debate, I implemented in the next version of MJ 9 the abililty for your selections to be remembered so all can be happy.  By default, "Save Tags" is on.
    Does this mean we have to play nice?  :)

-=Tim=-

udeups

• World Citizen
    « Reply #33 on: December 10, 2002, 06:14:13 pm »

Good morning all,
    A new build (3.0.29).

The F19 problem is fixed. I mean it this time.

Sorry Steve, I also did a Format for MJ and then did a sync of 2820 files. Of those, 2227 files ended up in F19. I'm using the absolute latest builds as of 7:00 PM Tuesday night.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned recently... does anyone know whether or not the PC version of iPod keeps track of playcounts like the mac versions? If so, is that one of the next priorities for the plugin?

buddy

• Recent member
    • nothing more to say...
    « Reply #34 on: December 10, 2002, 07:08:37 pm »

I need help.  I'm experiencing some problems that I can't resolve.

1.  I'm running the latest beta and the latest ipod plug-in
    2.  I've uploaded files to the ipod.  It says they were loaded, however I'm unable to see any when viewing via the ipod.  When I go to file explorer, I see the files.  But, can't see or do anything with the ipod.
    3.  I've gone back and forth between build 82 - 87, reformated numerous times.  Yet still unable to do anything withs the ipod.
    4.  Also, I can't find a way to 'eject' the ipod so I end up unplugging.  I tried the 'eject' from file explorer but that errors out.

Would someone provide instruction or advice on how to resolve these issues.

Kurt Young

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2002, 07:19:05 pm »

I haven't installed the latest build yet.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I should, ;)

Udeups -- I sure hope that it's possible.  I've seen a file called "Playcounts" on my iPod before, but I think that Ephpod generated it.  It's always been 0 bytes, too.  I fear that it might be disabled on a FAT32 iPod.  On that tip, has anyone tried a mac-formatted iPod + MacOpener + MJ yet?  I'm curious to see if it'd work.  Cuz if it did, I'd be curious to see if that playcounts file is bigger than 0 bytes on a HFS iPod.  On the real.

TimB -- No way am I playin nice!  I'm rubber and you're glue, mister.  Nyah nyah nyah!  Tastes Great!

Adam -- I can't make MacOpener or MacDrive work on my system.  Tried and failed.  (That's why I bought XPlay, I guess)  That being said, read what I wrote to udeups above.  ;)

Buddy -- About #4, here's what to do:

1.  Collapse the CD, DVD, & Handhelds tree in MC.  Then click somewhere else in MC... like a playlist or something.  The idea is that you need to make MC stop using the iPod actively.  Make MC forget about the iPod for a second.

2.  Now try to unmount it.  Use this icon in your start menu.  

3.  If all goes well, you'll see the checkmark.  If it says that it's unable to stop the device, that's because something else is actively using the iPod.  Take a look around your PC and see what program is calling it.  Close that program or do whatever ya need with it.  Just don't pull the plug until you get that checkmark, your iPod will thank you.
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #36 on: December 10, 2002, 08:17:28 pm »

<snip>
    Adam -- I can't make MacOpener or MacDrive work on my system.  Tried and failed.  (That's why I bought XPlay, I guess)  That being said, read what I wrote to udeups above.  ;)
    </snip>

So's you're asking *me* to format my iPod to a Mac, and do a little testing are ya?  Geez, I don't know, that's gonna be a little hard.  See I don't have Macopener either (got crashes on it as well).  That's why I got Xplay, same as you Kurt.   ;)

Would be a good test, I'd do it if I could.  

Anybody else out there w/Macopener or Macdrive *and* Xplay so they can format to a MiPod and test the plugin?

Steve:

F19 problem still there for me as well. What gives man?  :)

I think there is also a bug with the "Delete Files Not in List" and the "Update Tags".  Problem is, I can't reliably reproduce it in anyway.  Per my earlier report, sometimes after I sync, I'm getting *nothing* on the iPod.  Oh, the files are there, but the iPod shows nothing.  Strange though that MC shows stuff under the iPod.  How can that be?  I'll keep trying to replicate it.  But darned if I know how to make it happen.

I can always fix things with a Reformat for MJ and reupload.  But when I start doing robust testing I run into this problem.  Don't know how it's doing it.

BUG: Deleting from the ipod manually still leaves playlists on the iPod.  I deleted all my songs (highlight all, right-click>Delete) and still had 2 of my 3 playlists present on the iPod, although they didn't have any songs on them.

BUG: Formatting and Deleting still causing GUI locks
    BUG: GUI Lock still occuring during large syncs when you have either Delete Items or Update Tags checked.  

Would love some news on the playcount deal......

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2002, 09:22:45 pm »

Aight, so Imma try it.  I just restored my iPod with XPlay, so it's a MacPod now.  The XPlay setup wizard came up, but I cancelled it, just like I do with MC.

I'm copying a few GB of music to it, as data.  I'm going to take it to work, plant MacDrive on a test box, copy the music off, install MC and the plugin, and I'll let ya know what happens.

If all goes well, I'll load the music on it, and play it via the iPod.  Here's hopin that the playcount file shows something.  Course, even if it does, it still doesn't seem to get created/written on a WinniePod, so big whoop, right?
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TimB

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2002, 02:37:44 am »

TimB -- No way am I playin nice!  I'm rubber and you're glue, mister.  Nyah nyah nyah!  Tastes Great!

Mom always did like you best.  :P

-=Tim=-

Kurt Young

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2002, 08:55:43 am »

Heh, it works.  Kinda.

I planted MacOpener XP, the newest MC9 and plugin on a test machine.  MC can transfer songs to the iPod, no problemo!

Odd thing, though... in MC, I can't expand the iPod tree at all.  But I can click it, and right-click it, and synch it, and the songs playback on the iPod perfectly... all data is transferred properly, and everything else seems to work.

Now, I didn't see a Playcounts file after restore last night.  I didn't see one after I opened up Ephpod and had it "write mac file".  I formatted iPod for MJ, transferred about 40 sound clips to it and put it on repeat all.  Left it playing for a while, long enough to rack up some play counts.

Bingo.  We have a 1kb file called "Play Counts" in the \iPod_Control\iTunes folder.

Here's the entire iPod_control folder.  It's about 3.5MB.

So, does it work on a WinniePod at all?  I dunno.  Could someone find out?  As a test, since I don't have a WinniePod at present, could someone make a new file in their \iPod_Control\iTunes folder, name it Play Counts (two words, one space, no extension, capitalized like I did), and see if it gets updated?  Make sure that you chmod777 it (OMG, did I just say that?)... er... make sure that it's not read-only.  :D

Peace out, homies, Imma go get some work done now.  :D
     mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
    « Reply #40 on: December 11, 2002, 08:59:12 am »

Kurt, I just looked at my Win iPod and it already has a file called Play Counts in the iTunes folder. Unfortunately it is 0kb and is not read only :(

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2002, 09:50:00 am »

Everyone,

I posted 3.0.30 and hope (again) that F19 is fixed. If it is not, free beer for all.

Buddy,

Could you try reformatting the iPod from within Windows? You will lose all your data, but then you will have a clean slate that I hope will work.

Kurt, Phil, and Adam,

I do want to get the Playcount implemented, but am tied up with some other work right now. I will get to it ASAP.  Thanks for the info regarding Mac formatted iPod and MC.  I will try to get GUI lock resolved as well, but I cannot duplicate it here.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #42 on: December 11, 2002, 10:48:38 am »

Steve:

Thanks for the updates.

Regarding trying to duplicate the gui lock.  Have you tried it w/your iPod loaded w/about 2000 songs?  I've seen it happen w/less, but I know it happens to me.

Again, this happens only in the following scenarios:

Formatting for MJ
    Deleting All Songs (or a large number)
    Syncing when either Delete files not Present or Update Tags is checked.

Hope that helps.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
    « Reply #43 on: December 11, 2002, 10:51:25 am »

Sorry Steve but I've just formatted and synched my iPod using 3.0.30 and of the 1671 songs uploaded, 808 are in the F19 folder.

TimB

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2002, 12:11:22 pm »

Everyone,

I posted 3.0.20 and hope (again) that F19 is fixed. If it is not, free beer for all.

I've seen these offers before.  I'm not going to hold off on my Sam Adams purchases based on it.   ;D

-=Tim=-

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #45 on: December 11, 2002, 02:19:45 pm »

Hmmmmm, beeeeerrrrrrrrrrr.  I'm getting thirsty!!  Can't wait to try this tonight.  Are you shipping it overnight Steve?  Do you need my address?

;D

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
    • this town is a part of us all...
    « Reply #46 on: December 11, 2002, 03:24:57 pm »

just thought i'd throw my test in. i have 1100 out of 2500 songs in F19 and am also experiencing occasional gui lock when syncing.  i sure hope we can get the playcount thing working, that would rule. also im still waiting for the graphic rating system.  :)
    ---------

buddy

• Recent member
    • nothing more to say...
    « Reply #47 on: December 11, 2002, 06:56:49 pm »

Steve, thanks for the advice.  I was able to get the files sync.  Howeverf, I'm unable to locate the unmount icon.  I've been thru the help files I have closed and reopened, but still can't find this icon.

BTW, about 90% of my files are in F19.  Also, I have files with tags but no labels.  All my files seemed to transfer but very few album names, artists, genres, etc.

Is there any documenation somewhere that I can locate so I don't have tgo bother you or the group?

P.S. Is there an update on the ipod software from Apple?  I visited their site and was not able to find any substantive info.

SteveG

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2002, 06:10:26 am »

In regards to the beer, lets go double or nothing on tonights build.

Buddy,  

What Operating System are you running?

There is some great documentation available courtesy of Adam at http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/  

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
    « Reply #49 on: December 12, 2002, 06:49:57 am »

Buddy:

There isn't an unmount icon in MC9.  There used to be an eject option, but Steve took that out.

To eject your iPod safely, just use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option in your systray in the lower right hand corner.  Just click it and the iPod will show up there.  Select the iPod and it should show OK to Disconnect.

You don't have to have MC closed even, just make sure that you're not viewing the contents of the iPod when you disconnect (click on Playlists or Media Library).

Adam
    Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up