INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server to run certain time frames  (Read 592 times)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server to run certain time frames
« on: October 09, 2003, 06:07:53 pm »

Rather than start off with my questions, I'll just start with what I am trying to do:

I have a music only media computer hooked into my home network.  It is tucked away and I primarily access it through remote desktop over my network.  And I listen to the music through my Tivo and Media Server.  My problem (and this just could be laziness) is that my media computer goes to sleep.  I would like to somehow set Media Server to "wake up" at certain times so that when I am home and I try to access my music through Tivo it will see the Media Server without me having to go over to the computer and wake up.

I have seen something about running the server as a service.  I'm not exactly sure what that means, but would that mean getting software to manage when it runs and thus solve my problem?  I would like to tell the service or server to run at certain times.  Is this possible?

I know that I could just tell my computer to never go to sleep or hibernate, but is that good for the computer?  Shouldn't it sleep some?  Or is that not necessary?  I guess those of you who access your Media Server from work during the day always have your computer running.

I appreciate any solutions you might have to offer.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Media Server to run certain time frames
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 10:38:27 am »

Server's shouldn't hibernate/sleep. Just turn off the monitor when not in use.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up