INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing Media Server at work  (Read 1958 times)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Accessing Media Server at work
« on: October 10, 2003, 09:00:37 pm »

Is there a FAQ for this?

I did a search on the forum, but didn't find anything.

I already use Media Server on my internal home network and Tivo.  But I would like to access it from work.  What other steps do I need to take.  I know I will need the IP address that my DSL modem gives me and not the one assigned to the computer where Media Server resides.  Is it just as simple as enabling http port 80 on my router (I have a D-Link 614+) and crossing my fingers hoping there are no firewall issues at work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Accessing Media Server at work
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 09:24:03 pm »

Firewalls can stop it, but Media Server works on a local LAN or across the Internet.  It's the same both ways.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 09:27:00 pm »

If you are using NAT (and it sounds like you are), you'll need to tell your router to pass in the requests for Media Server to the proper machine. It's outside of the scope of a FAQ, since every router is different. If you need help, post here, and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

j

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 10:51:30 pm »

Thanks guys.

My router has a configuration tab for Virtual Servers.

One of the default settings that is currently disabled is:

Name: Virtual Server HTTP
Private IP:0.0.0.0
Protocol type:TCP
Private port: 80
Public port: 80

Should I put: 192.168.0.105 (the IP address for the machine that Media Server is running on)

And then from work access Media Server by entering my private IP address:80.

Am I on the right track?

I don't have the firewall enabled on my router.  Should I enable it and then allow only access to my work's IP address?  Or is that what Jim was saying - that I would encounter problems doing that?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some direction and advice.

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 10:53:46 pm »

Actually, I have Media Server set to support Tivo on port 8079.  Should I set up the virtual server on those ports?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 02:10:33 pm »

Yes, you are on the right track, you'll need to change the IP address and the private port.

j

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 05:07:52 pm »

I use a solution where I setup a ssh tunnel between my computer at work and my computer at home.  Then I can forward all my traffic, whatever it may be, through the ssh tunnel and it is encrypted to prevent outside access.

SSH adds the benefit of compression on the traffic also, so large amounts of data (like media streams or video) will travel a little bit faster too.

I use a program called F-Secure SSH for the tunneling and I have a Linksys router that forwards the SSH port to my PC at home.

Port 22 is open on my firewall at work, so all the traffic gets in okay.  Using this SSH tunnel also limits exposure on port 80 which is a little easier for people to hack than port 22.

Currently I use this solution for Media Server and VNC (so that I can remotely access my computer) and it works quite well.

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 08:43:13 pm »

Yes, you are on the right track, you'll need to change the IP address and the private port.

j

Thanks, John.  Are you saying change the Private Port to 8079?  I tried it as I have it in the above post and I wasn't able to connect.

Before I tried it at work I did change the IP address to 192.168.0.105 (which is the IP address of the computer that Media Server is running on in my home network).

Thanks again for your help.  I know you have a lot on your plate.

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 09:40:26 pm »

One more question:

Right now I have Media Server running on my desktop computer.  From my laptop, within my home network, I load the library that is on the desktop computer running Media Server.  Everything works fine and I see my view schemes from the desktop computer and I see all my music when I click on the Media Library tab.  However, when I click on the Audio tab or any of the view schemes, all that shows up in the columns is the magnifying glass and "all".  No files are listed.  Is this intended?  I know that playlists from the desktop won't come over to the laptop.  Is this for the same reason?  Again, thanks for all your help.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 10:44:23 am »

Example: you have public IP 1.2.3.4 and choose public port 80.
You have private IP  192.168.0.105 and are running Media Server on port 8079

You need to change your NAT settings so they look like:
Name: Virtual Server HTTP
Private IP:192.168.0.105
Protocol type:TCP
Private port: 8079
Public port: 80

and then from work, put in: 1.2.3.4:80 as the Media Server to connect to.

Also check your media server options and make sure you are serving the right library, that may explain the lack of files.

j

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 08:33:22 pm »

I think I might have it!

I changed the private AND public port to 8123.  And I change Media Server to use port 8123.

I had a friend download and install Media Center and she was able to access my library.  She was quite impressed - you might have a new customer!

I'll know for sure if it works tomorrow when I get to work.  But I think it was just a problem with picking the right ports to work with.

Thanks for all your help!

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 10:29:49 am »

Also check your media server options and make sure you are serving the right library, that may explain the lack of files.

Now I know why my files aren't showing up in the view schemes when I access it through Media Server: I have -filename:// in all my view schemes to keep out all the mp3 streams.  And now I see that the filename for all my songs has a // in it when you access it through Media Server.  That also explains why some of my Smartlists weren't working.  I just thought I would document here my solution.

Thanks.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 10:32:55 am »

thanks for the info...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up