INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ stops burning CD prematurely: "unexpected failure reading file cache, [...]"  (Read 1078 times)

nimh

• I'm a llama!

My problem started when last night, suddenly all my attempts to burn CDs with Media Jukebox started failing. Almost every time, at track 16, it said "Unexpected Error", something about "Disk/File Read Error". This never happened before, and I've burnt a bunch of CDs just the other week.

I went through the MJ Interaction troubleshooting section, and I followed up on a number of things:
* In Windows device manager, I turned off DMA mode and "auto-insert" notification and enabled the "Disconnect" and "Sync Data Transfer" options.
* I've uninstalled WinOnCD.
* I right-clicked the icons in the toolbar bottom-right (near clock) and exited those programs before trying again.
* I clicked ctrl-alt-del and closed every program except Explorer and MJ itself before burning.

But a last tip was to defragment the hard disk, as "sometimes a severely fragmented drive can slow data transfer considerably". So I tried that - but defrag keeps starting itself back up again every 2, 3 minutes - never finishing the task. Same happens when I try to run Norton Speed Disk.

Now the MJ troubleshooting section warns about this: "If the defrag process keeps restarting every few seconds, this could be the cause of the CD burning failures: something is writing to the disk periodically. Possible culprits are virus checkers, backup programs, virtual memory settings that cause swapping, network activity, background downloads of data or faxes". But:

* I already turned the screensaver off.
* I dont have a running virus checker (only a viruscheck program that I have to start up to run).
* I set the power saving options at max - hard disk and monitor dont get switched off for at least an hour.
* I disconnected from the cable/Internet.

What is still interrupting the defrag / Speed Disk process? Thats probably the same thing that interferes with the CD burning, so the problem must be there - but I havent got a clue where to look anymore.

Can anyone help me? Suggestions MUCH appreciated ;-).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

There are many posts about CD burning problems on both the MJ and MC boards here.  Some of them have solutions.  You might try these.

You could try uninstalling other CD burning software you've installed.  

Stop all running programs in the lower right corner of your screen.

nimh

• I'm a llama!

I only posted here because I already followed up on the list of instructions in the Help-section. For example, I already uninstalled the other CD burning software (WinOnCD). I also already right-clicked and exited all the programmes shown in the lower-right corner every time I try, and furthermore every time used ctrl-alt-del to close down, one by one, all the programs still listed as running, except for Explorer and MJ.

I now also defragmented the hard disk after all (as that, too, is suggested in the help section), by using "safe mode". I ran Norton Speed Disk and WinDoctor afterwards as well to get potential other problems out of the way.

Nevertheless, the problem persists (I just tried it again). At track 16 (always at track 16), the burn process is aborted. This is the full error message:

"Error: unexpected failure reading file cache
File/Disc read error encountered"

Perhaps that rings a bell to anyone?

Another thread on this board suggested that this error message comes up when a file is bad, but when I remove the 16th track from the burn-list, the process just aborts at whatever other song is in sixteenth place.

Strange thing is, it still worked last week!

Darned thing is, I paid for MJ and now uninstalled the only other burning software I had (WinOnCD) ...

Thanks again for any help !!

nimh

• I'm a llama!

So ... after also running Norton DiskDoctor (no problem) and downloading the Adaptec ASPI Installation verification (ASPI was "properly installed and fully operational"), I finally found the bit that I'd been overlooking.

Its not mentioned on the CD Burning Tips page where it describes the kind of problem I was having, but it is in the FAQ, under "Burning" -> "When I try to burn a CD, everything goes fine for a while, but an error message eventually appears [..]". Among the four suggestions there, one is to basically toggle the "generic driver" option on the CD writer settings page - select it if its not selected, unselect it if it is.

I selected it, cause it wasnt, and presto. Works now. Thought I'd come back & tell you about it, so that whoever makes the same mistake next can find the tip here.

Thanks - I do love my MJ ...

nimh
Pages: [1]   Go Up