INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: install problem with 9.1  (Read 1350 times)

ddaro

• Recent member
install problem with 9.1
« on: October 16, 2003, 02:16:17 pm »

Hope someone can help out. I have MC9 installed but wanted to upgrade to 9.1 but no luck. I've tried the following:

From MC9 Help, select 'check for updates'. It locates and downloads version 9.1.269 just fine. The initial install dialog displays; the standard 'the install wizard is preparing.... please wait' (or something to that effect).  But that is as far as it gets. The actual installation never starts. No error is displayed, it simply does not continue to the next phase of the install process.

I also tried downloading the file myself and then clicking on MediaCenter9_1.exe with the exact same results. I tried the same with build 91279 and again the same results.

Any ideas why the upgrade won't install? Should I uninstall MC9 then try to install MC91? Any help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:install problem with 9.1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 02:25:09 pm »

Don't use a download manager to download.

Clear out your temp files.  Run IE/Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet Files/Delete Files.

ddaro

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 04:27:02 pm »

Got it installed now. What I didn't realize... or at least what happens here  is that the first part of the install process simply extracts the setup files. You have to hunt down the extracted folders, then run the InstallWizard.exe. I just assumed the downloaded executable (MediaCenter9_1.exe) was the actual install.

So I'm good, thanks :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 04:58:02 pm »

I just assumed the downloaded executable (MediaCenter9_1.exe) was the actual install.

it is, something must be wrong.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ddaro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 05:56:38 pm »

see my original posts for some background but basically after the preparing to install dialog closed that was that.

I started hunting around my machine for new files by date/time and found in C:\Documents and Settings\<myaccount>\Local Settings\Temp a folder called RarSFX0. In there were several folders, Media Jukebox, Support, and System as well as some files InstallWizard.exe License.txt and unicows.dll. Of course the folders also had files. This structure actually looks like an installation. I did not check file for file but the Media Jukebox in Temp looks very much like my C:\Program Files\Meda Center folder.

I did find this all a bit strange, the Temp folder aspect that is but it installed so I left it all at that. The version of Media Jukebox.exe in C:\Program Files\J River is the new 9.1.279.0 build.

I am wondering a bit about what is going on here. MC9.1 runs although I have yet to reboot.  Think I might have myself in a bit of a 'state'?

btw.. running XP home with all the latest and greatest updates, services packs, etc.  I shut down virus checker prior to the install since this can matter in some cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up