INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC version with automatic debugging/logging for fault reporting?  (Read 637 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Has anyone at JRiver considered releasing versions of MC with debugging and/or logging enabled?

A large number of Forum posts are people reporting bugs/crashes (I've joined their ranks recently with iPod issues) - I was thinking that if there was a version of MC where it was possible to turn on some kind of debug log, things would be much easier.

If a user encounters a bug, they would switch on the logging option: MC would then print out everything it was doing.  The user would recreate the bug, email/upload the log to JRiver, and they would have an exact dump of what happened - usually more accurate than a user saying 'I did this, then that.'  

The log could also print system information on MC startup, ensuring developers always know everything about the affected MC.

It'd be a performance hit to always log everything, so it'd be best as an option in MC, or perhaps a whole different executable.

What do people think?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:MC version with automatic debugging/logging for fault reporting?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:37:15 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, but, if or when we think logging would help, we'll add it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up