INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No volume control  (Read 2533 times)

madhatter

• I'm a llama!
No volume control
« on: October 25, 2003, 06:27:20 pm »

I Installed 9.1.289 today after having unistalled a previous build from a few weeks ago. I didn't even have a chance to use the previous build prior to installing the new version today.  As soon as I started using the app I noticed that there is no volume control. This in on my primary computer.

I thought this was odd and installed the same build (9.1.289) on my laptop which worked perfectly and does show a volume control.

On my primary computer, there's a non functioning mute button and when I hover over the area where the volume control should be I see "Volume: N/A".

I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card with the latest drivers. I have not had this problem with any other media player. What gives?

System info from Media Center:
Media Center Registered 9.1.289 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0  (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 598 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 255 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.2920.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX160E     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:No volume control
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 06:44:45 pm »

Have you enabled "Use Digital Playback"?

Tools->Options->Device  
checkbox on the top line.

madhatter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 06:54:45 pm »

Yeah, the "use digital playback" option is checked. I looked through all the options with no luck. I also tried changing the Output Mode under the playback options from Wave Out to several different options....

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 04:19:45 am »

I had a similar problem with my Audigy and tried everything (latest soundcard drivers, deinstallation/installation of MC, tried all settings.....) but only a fresh install of Windows helped. Sorry, can't offer you an easy solution. Maybe digging in Windows settings is successful but a fresh install is faster and safer IMHO
AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 07:32:15 am »

Try reinstalling your sound card software.

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 07:36:14 am »

M-Audio cards disable this feature. No driver updates will fix it. You must use the M-Audio control panel to adjust the volume.

What would be nice is if there was a plugin that did volume attenuation from within MC. Then the volume could adjusted. At present, there is only one player I know of that does this by allowing the use of the + and - keys for volume control when using M-Audio 24/96 cards.

madhatter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 11:12:04 am »

Thanks to all for the responses!

I had a feeling it might be a simple incompatibility, but I've used this card with lots of other software that allowed volume control from the app. Winamp, MusicMatch Jukebox, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Etc.

Apparently Media Center is doing something differently than all of these players??

Other that this issue, this software is really impressive. By far the best overall media player I've found so far, so I'll have to live with the functional, but inelegant method of controlling volume from the M-Audio control panel.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 11:53:12 am »

I suspect the difference between MC and those other programs is that MC controls the system volume.... while the others usually control the wave volume... or some variation.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

jeffl012

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 04:59:33 pm »

I'm having the same issue.

I have an M-Audio card. MC is set to use it. The odd thing is that when you adjust volume slider in MC, it changes the master volume on the onboard audio and not the M-Audio card (you can tell because the master volume slider on the Windows Volume Control moves with it). That seems like a bug to me.

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 09:06:32 pm »

There seem to be two separate issues:

1) no volume control

2) volume control has no effect on devices other than default windows sound device.

I have had the second problem for a long time.  MJ8 did work just fine at one point.  When zones were added to MC, it worked for a short time, and then stopped working.

Quite frustrating in multi-zone environment, would love to see this fixed.

--kurt

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 09:24:58 pm »

Yea, I've been down this road a few times here on these boards, but the general concensus among "those who decide" is that as a total Media Center, using the system-out rather than wave-out keeps all media through one output and one volume control. I'd prefer it be tied to the wave-out myself, as having internal MC volume control would certainly be desirable.

Strange thing, on my setup, only audio output goes through the digital outs of my sound card (Gina by Echo) where DVD or video files always go through the windows default. This has been true of all 9.0 builds. What's up with that?

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 07:51:08 am »

Hi,

I've written many times on volume control problem.  I use the Terratec Aureon and I can't use the volume control from MC.  Other jukebox programs like MusicMatch works fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up