INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I have multiple Genres?  (Read 1566 times)

larrydj

Can I have multiple Genres?
« on: October 28, 2003, 09:02:25 am »

Just starting with MC9... Now ripping my music and organizing it. I came across an album that I wanted to label as it's genre "Rock" as well as "French". Can I do this? I want to include this album under both genres, and I can imagine I may have other examples. Is there a special separator for multiple genres?

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
Re:Can I have multiple Genres?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 09:53:42 am »

You will need to define a custom field to do this. To define a custom field go to Tools > Options, select Tree & View and click on the Add button. Give the new field a name and under user data set the data type to List (semicolon delimited). You can now use this field to do what you wanted. Simply enter Rock; French and use this field instead of the default Genre tag.

larrydj

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 04:05:43 pm »

Thanks. I'll probably keep the broadest catory still in the Genre field, and then have particular sub-categories in this multiple genre field.

On a related subject, is there a good way to insert the same item or string for all songs within an album. For instance, if I wanted to change Genre from Pop to Rock for an album, is there a way I can do this without typing it over for each song?

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 04:12:20 pm »

is there a good way to insert the same item or string for all songs within an album. For instance, if I wanted to change Genre from Pop to Rock for an album, is there a way I can do this without typing it over for each song?

Select the entire album, edit the field of one song (F2 to edit), hit enter.

Changes should be applied to all selected songs.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 05:00:26 pm »

Thanks. I'll probably keep the broadest catory still in the Genre field, and then have particular sub-categories in this multiple genre field.

This is what I've done.  I keep very general genres in the genre field (this is very handy with my iPod and being able to just select a genre to listen to.)  Then I have a sub-genre field that has the more specific info in it.  I really like the way that it works.

On a related subject, is there a good way to insert the same item or string for all songs within an album. For instance, if I wanted to change Genre from Pop to Rock for an album, is there a way I can do this without typing it over for each song?
You can also select multiple songs and edit the info over in the tag information window.

I actually found that for performing this genre/sub-genre setup, that using the F4 tagging mode was extremely effecting (need MC 9.1).  I found it to be extremely fast.  Just select the song... and click in the boxes (and/or create new option).  Then click on the next song.  Then when I'm done modifing any/all the songs, I just exit the tagging mode.

kiwi

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 09:15:38 pm »

I'll probably keep the broadest catory still in the Genre field, and then have particular sub-categories in this multiple genre field.

This is also what I've done, but instead of creating a new sub-genre field I'm just using the Keywords field (since it's already there and accepts semicolon delimited input). Also, I don't limit the keywords to just genres, but enter any terms that might be used to categorize tracks. For example, I have some tracks that are Genre: Rock and Keyword: Progressive. I also have some Progressive Rock tracks that are live recordings, so they are Genre: Rock and Keywords: Progressive;Live.

Rob

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 10:01:09 pm »

Using Keywords is a really good idea.  I hadn't really thought of that, but it is a good option.  It could even be used for moods, if you wanted to do that.  It wouldn't be the easiest for entering the moods, as you'd have lots of different options along with moods, but it could work quite nicely.

If one is going to create a sub-genre category, one should think about making the tag's be saved in the files.  this means that they won't be lost if you accidentally destroy your library file.  You just have to recreate the field in your library and all the information appears agian.

larrydj

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 12:10:13 am »

These are all really good ideas. Keywords seem to work just as well. In fact, while I'm ripping, I've been noting potential genres and sub-genres (or keywords). "Live" is certainly one. Though I largely listen to modern music, and am considering Rock, Latin, Classical, Opera, Jazz, Blues,as my major genres, and have Live, French, Electronic, Lounge, World, and who knows what as additional keywords.

This brings up a general categorizing process. Is there a thread already on this where there may be best practices. Depending on one's musical tastes, there will be more sub-categories in an area of a particular listener's interest, but it's be interesting to see what others have done to get ideas.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 07:09:53 pm »

I separate my "subgenre" field from my "keywords" field, so that I can create more interesting schemes.  Example: I reserve keywords for things like: live, duet, cover, instrumental, hits...  That way I can have a Genre/Subgenre/Keywords scheme (Jazz;bepop;instrumentals)  

The more fields you have, the more flexibility you have, at least in terms of view schemes.  I have fields for nationality, language, situation (dinner, party, reading, etc), instruments, and tone. Ok, probably too much, but I use them all. And when I'm in the mood slow jazz piano covers of standards, voila!  Granted, if everything were in keywords, then a search would be quicker: keywords=piano,standards,etc... I have to type [tempo]=slow [subgenre]=standards, etc... But I have the advantage of flexible view schemes.  Depends on what your needs are.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up