INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to "sync" two MC machines?  (Read 2832 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Any way to "sync" two MC machines?
« on: October 24, 2003, 01:18:18 pm »

I want to have MC on my two networked systems.  Is there any way to "sync" the two versions of MC so I end up with all the same songs/tags on both systems?

If no "sync" feature is available, is there an easy way to update one of the systems so that it had all the same mp3's and library information as the other one?  In other words. if a bunch of CD's had been ripped on one system, how could I make it so that the OTHER system had all these new songs in it's database?  I could do an "import" that searches the main tree on the other computer for new songs, but this wouldn't transfer the actual CD library information (it would only bring in the mp3 info) and it wouldn't bring the actual mp3's over.  Also, if I changed the tag info on the "main" system, the other system wouldn't realize that it had been changed on a new import -- rather, it would see the newly tagged songs as new mp3 and I'd end up with multiple listings for these songs on the other system.

What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks,

Larry

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Any way to "sync" two MC machines?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 02:13:15 pm »

Why not simply set up media server and use only one machine as the primary library machine?  You connect to that machine and it uses the library from there.  This is what I do anyway, the only real problem is that ther e is no way to update the library from the client side.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 04:00:29 pm »

Probably has the same situation I do - a home machine, and another machine that travels for DJing.

It would be great to be able to manage the DJing machine as if it were a portable device (a really big iPod!).

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 06:45:51 pm »

We have struggled with similar questions in our household.

The main computer has the songs and the database.
Another computer is the main "tagging" system, which access the songs and database via the network.

But the other computers in the house, well, we don't access the main computer via Media Server because then we can't tag files wherever we are and we need to 'rate-as-we-go'.  

Our workaround: VNC. We VNC into the main computer, whose output is in the living room stereo. It's just like being at the main computer, but remotely. Of course, I always worry that other computers in the house have the main library open; so I have to remember to go close all running copies of MC just in case, which is a real pain.

And sometimes VNC is really slow. Then I go to option b: create a new library on the kitchen computer, clone the main one, and try real hard to remember not to make any database changes. Because while it is true I can update tags then just use "update my library from the tags", I'm not sure my older tags are right, and I don't want to overwrite anything in my database just yet.  

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 07:57:21 pm »

Why not simply set up media server and use only one machine as the primary library machine?  You connect to that machine and it uses the library from there.  This is what I do anyway, the only real problem is that ther e is no way to update the library from the client side.

So are you saying that System A has all the mp3's and the library on it, and System B will access these mp3's AND the library file?  If so, how do you set this up?  It sounds like you're saying that using MC on System B will always be exactly like using System A -- i.e. B will always reflect the most recent, updated information by accessing the actual library on System A.  Is this correct?  What happens if you make changes to tags on System A while System B currently has MC open?

Thanks for clarification on this,

Larry

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 03:46:28 am »

I'd love to be able to sync an external hard drive and/or network drive.  I have a laptop, and can't fit all my MP3s on it.  I'd love to be able to just sycn 5-10GB and be all set.  I wouldn't even mind if it wasn't a 2 way sync.

kiwi

p.s. the Sync'ing to these other sources would be great for performing backups.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 05:27:08 am »

Take a look at "Karen's Replicator":
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
It's a nice free tool for syncing (and backups...). From the description:

"Simply create two Replicator jobs.
One should sync the desktop's folder(s) to the your laptop.
The other syns the laptop's folder(s) to your desktop computer.

When creating each job, be sure to place checkmarks in the boxes labeled "Copy Files Only if Changed or Added" and "Copy Only if Source is Newer".

You can schedule both jobs to run at the same time,
or have one job run immediately after the other."

francelonian

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 05:42:36 am »

We have several machines on the house, all networked.  I tag from wherever I am.  They all use the same library.  Works fine, and I seem to be able to access the library simultaneously from more than one machine .....

TimB

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 05:47:11 am »

Take a look at "Karen's Replicator":
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
It's a nice free tool for syncing (and backups...). From the description:

"Simply create two Replicator jobs.
One should sync the desktop's folder(s) to the your laptop.
The other syns the laptop's folder(s) to your desktop computer.

When creating each job, be sure to place checkmarks in the boxes labeled "Copy Files Only if Changed or Added" and "Copy Only if Source is Newer".

You can schedule both jobs to run at the same time,
or have one job run immediately after the other."
Extremely cool program, runs my backups every night (and every month in some cases) and great support. :)

Its Freeware but she happily accepts donations.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 01:25:07 pm »

We have several machines on the house, all networked.  I tag from wherever I am.  They all use the same library.  Works fine, and I seem to be able to access the library simultaneously from more than one machine .....

This is EXACTLY what I want to do.  How do you do this?  Are you using Media Server, or are you able to simply tell MC to use the library on another system's drive?

UPDATE:  I can access the same library, but the files show up as "not found."  This appears to be because the drive letter information for the songs don't match -- i.e. Drive C on one system is drive L on another, so the path to the song is incorrect on the second system.  When I copy over songs to the same letter drive on the other system, the songs are found, but this is because the drive letter is the same -- i.e. MC on each system is actually seeing a physically different file.  I'd like MC on the second system to access both the library AND the files on the original system.

Francelonian -- is your network drive letter the same on both systems, or is there a way of sharing the mp3's even with that drive appearing as a different letter on each system?

Thanks for any details you can give me on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 08:08:05 pm »

By the way, cover art is giving me the same problem as the mp3's (as stated in the last post.)  Since the C drive on the "main" system is the L drive on the networked system, the paths to the image files are incorrect when attempting to view them from the networked system.

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 06:31:15 am »

I also have two computers, a desktop and notebook computer. I would like to sync all my music and library between the two computers so I'll always have it with me on my notebook computer. Media Server won't work because I'm away from the desktop computer when I use my notebook.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 07:13:36 am »

This problem has also been haunting me.  I have a new computer and kept my old one on the network.  That's where the bulk of my files are.  I was trying to access the files through the network but I often get a message that the file is not available.  I haven't been able to pin it down to drive letter because this problem doesn't always occur!  I'm constantly adding mp3's and photos -- I seem to do this on both computers depending on the source (if I download the file or rip it) and couldn't keep up with updating the librarys each time I added a folder.  

So I've essentially given up for now.  I deleted the library which referred to the items on my old computer from Media Center on my new computer.  I've created a new library on my new computer of the items on that computer.  This is not the way to go as I have to search both librarys when searching for something.  But this way I know they are up to date and accessable.  I don't use media server because I want to be able to change tags or move files if necessary.  I'm always moving files.  I have reverted to this crazy system because I don't know what else to do now.  I have too large a collection to keep in one place!  

I'm also struggling with the backup idea.  I've read through threads to understand what others have done but I still don't have the perfect solution so now I'm going UNBACKEDUP!   Yikes I know I'm living dangerously when I think about all the hours spent on these files.  I have a DVD burner and want to put my files on DVDs but I can't figure out how to organize and then find what I need later in addition to adding the new files to another backup regularly.

OK J River.  I'm not alone.  Here's something else for the wish list for Media Center 10.  Please come up with the syncing system AND backup system which use regular users (not power users with hours of time to spend on this daily) can use!  

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 10:07:53 am »

Hmmm. It seems odd that multiple copies of the same library can be open at the same time. So you can modify the library on computer A, then go to computer B and make more modifications, and alternate between them without any problem?  If so, that's great. It's exactly what I need.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 10:22:48 am »

UPDATE:  I can access the same library, but the files show up as "not found."  This appears to be because the drive letter information for the songs don't match -- i.e. Drive C on one system is drive L on another, so the path to the song is incorrect on the second system.  When I copy over songs to the same letter drive on the other system, the songs are found, but this is because the drive letter is the same -- i.e. MC on each system is actually seeing a physically different file.  I'd like MC on the second system to access both the library AND the files on the original system.

I have four PCs that access the same library and Media Server running on the PC that actually houses the files. The library uses UNC paths to identify the files in shared directories, e.g.  \\ComputerName\Data\Songs without mapping the drive. The library itself is also in a shared directory.

Although I don't think I ever use more than one version of MC at once, Media Server is always running.

I don't know how robust this system is (i.e can it handle simultaneous library updates from multiple PCs), but for purposes of allowing me to tweak the library from any machine this works fine for me.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 11:08:54 am »

I'm not sure about this. Media Server will not change the library being shared.

j

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 11:29:15 am »

I'm not sure about this. Media Server will not change the library being shared.

I should clarify: Media Server is always running only so I can access files from outside my home network. When accessing files from one of the PC's on the home network I use the library in the shared directory, not Media Server. That is how I am able to tweak the llbrary from any of the PCs on my network.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 12:54:57 pm »

Thanks for the clarification.

If you are accessing the library (jmd files) on the shared drive, then there is a chance you will corrupt your library (by accessing it from two different machines).

j

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 01:43:48 pm »

e.g.  \\ComputerName\Data\Songs without mapping the drive

Maybe you meant \\ComputerName\[DriveLetter]$\[Folder Structure]\[Filename].

For example, I use "\\Workstation1\c$\Music\James\Laid\Laid.mp3", where c$ is the hidden share that XP creates automatically.

This way I can just copy the library (using whatever backup tool handy...  usually HandyBackup) to another computer and not have to worry about the filename path.

Scott-

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 01:57:25 pm »

If you are accessing the library (jmd files) on the shared drive, then there is a chance you will corrupt your library (by accessing it from two different machines).

John,

That's what I thought.  I gather MC has no way of knowing if a database is open somewhere (so that it could 'close' it on computer A when loading it on computer B)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up