INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Will Not Install  (Read 1907 times)

Uno

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Media Center Will Not Install
« on: October 28, 2003, 07:40:22 pm »

I am unable to install Media Center.  I had Media Center Installed and running however everytime I tried to update it from internet it would download and try to install but just quit and shut down.  No error nothing.  I decided to unstall it and try a new install.  Now it unpacks and gets to the end and just disapears.  Does nothing and no error.  I have cleaned my registry, closed all other programs including Nortons Anti-Virus and still am unable to install it.  I have tried to install the latest stable build and the latest build and both do the same thing.  Can anyone shed some light or tell me if they have had this problem?
Thx.
Oh I have a registered copy.  Or shall I say my copy was registered when it was installed.

Uno

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Media Center Will Not Install
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 08:07:32 pm »

Forgot to Mention I"m running XP with all latest patches.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 09:00:37 pm »

Try downloading again.  Don't use a download manager.  Some are broken.

Delete your temp files.  Run IE, do Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet files/Delete files.

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 10:49:34 pm »

Jim H, I am having a similar problem installing V9.1.269 from the help update site.  I deleted my internet temp files and that did not help.  What do you mean by "download manager"?

The udate file indicates 14580KB, but the downloaded file indicates to be 14905KB and when it has finished downloading it does not install and has to be closed with taks manager.

Thank you for any help, Joe Karnes

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium II 447 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 192 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HP       CD-Writer+ 9700k   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 12:19:11 am »

Download manager like Download Accelerator, GetRight, or some other.

Some of this are known to cause problem when downloading media center. This is because they usually split the file into several part to download thus may cause problem when they combine the file after the download have finish.

Try clearing ur internet explorer cache.

If you are using internet explorer do this by:
Do this by going to Internet Explorer, Tools, Options.

You should be able to see a button that says delete files. Click that and wait for a while.

After that, re-download media center again.
Don't Panic!

Uno

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 01:53:54 am »

I deleted my IE cache and all offline content.  I disabled my download manager and directly downloaded the file again but I still am unable to install the app.  Does the same thing.  Unpacks to end then nothing.  

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 02:12:49 am »

Are you on dial up?  Does your ISP cut you off after a certain amount of time?  This download manager actually does a really good job of downloading MC.  Since I started using it I never had a failed install.

FlashGet

Oh... and it's free.

Uno

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 02:37:07 am »

I'm on Cable connection.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 07:22:36 am »

See if you can find the temp files and delete them.  Then try again.  Try looking in your user account in Documents and Settings....

Also, try saving in a different location.  Windows is finding the old temp files and continuing on but the files are bad.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 07:35:31 am »

If the problem is down to temp files or settings related to the user ID and you have difficulty isolating it in accordance with Jim's instructions you could try logging on with a different user ID (with admin priv of course).

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 09:01:54 am »

I deleted all my temp files and temporary internet files and downloaded the v9.1.269 file from the help update site again.  It still would not install and would not close except through task manager.

I checked my temp files and temporary internet files and the only files there were J River files which I deleted again.  I then dowloaded the v9.1.269 file again and encountered the same problem as on all my previous attempts.  I closed the download and went to the temporary internet file and selected the J River application file and was able to install by this method.  This is the first time I have ever had this problem and I have updated many versions since the V7 series.  Thank you, Joe Karnes

Uno

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 11:03:00 am »

Well I finally got it installed but not the way it should be.  I had to go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\(User Account)\Local Settings\Temp\RarSFX0 adn install it from there.  The RarSFX0 Folder is what was created after in start the installation.  Well at least I got it installed.  Still have no idea what went wrong.  You guys might need to check this out further.
Pages: [1]   Go Up