INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup Cds  (Read 1178 times)

hasaan

• I'm a llama!
Backup Cds
« on: November 06, 2003, 01:28:37 pm »

OK here's the thing.... I have about 50 CDs of Mp3s and the only way for me to identify them is "Disk 1", "Disk 2", etc. etc. Now when I had MJ 7+ I simply made a playlist for EACH of these CDs. That way when I wanted to listen to a song I'd simply search for the song and the results would show up (as expected), then I simply "hovered" on the spot where the name of the song would be displayed on the search results and a popup (of sorts) would show with all the details of the song. This popup would also have the playlist in which the song is (and my playlist would say "Disk 3" or something). In MC I cant do that, I mean the popup comes up but doesnt display which playlist the song is in and hence I HAVE NO WAY OF FINDING OUT WHICH CD HAS THAT SONG!!!! Man that is soo frustrating. Anyway I was thinking does MC has an alternative to the playlist trick since I have been trying to find out through the help files but no help.

Thanks I'd really appreciate if someone suggests what should I do  :)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Backup Cds
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 01:36:22 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, you can do this with the action window....

Do your search, and when you have the song highlighted, go to the action window and click Playlists, that should tell you which playlists the song appears on. I don't have MC right now, so I'm not sure if the playlist function is underneath another option in the Action Window, but it's there.

hope this helps,

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

hasaan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 01:45:56 pm »

nah I tried that already.. doesnt work. When I search and THEN click playlist then the search results are lost and the entire song lists for the playlist show up. And even if I click the playlist first and THEN search it alos doesnt make any difference. But thanks anyway for the quick reply that was very nice of you!  :) :)

However still open to other suggestions i'm afraid  :( :(

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 01:57:06 pm »

I think there may be more than one "Playlist" function in the Action Window. I wish I had MC in front of me right now....I am pretty sure I remember seeing this functionality in there.  I am getting home in about 2.5 hours, if nobody has answered by then I will try and see if I can find the function that I think I'm remembering.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm wrong  :) Even if I am, though, I'm sure there is some way to do this.

Enjoy!   ;D

jiistme

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 03:25:09 pm »

I solved a similiar problem this way:

I created a separate library for the music I listen to off of CDs, but this would not be necessary...I just think it makes it easier to differentiate.

Under Tools/Options/Tree & View I added a new Library Field named "Music & MP3 CD" with a data type of string and store file in tags turned off.

Then, I just imported the files from each CD into my library. When I imported the CD, in the above mentioned field, I put name of the CD.

To make it easier to find CDs and stuff, add the new library field to the Media Library/Audio fields and then save it to the current location and all sub locations.

Then, when you want to find a song, just search your library for a song and you have the disk it is on right there. Also, if you just want to play a disc, search that field for the disc name and then add the results to playing now (or make smartlists with the above field set to the desired name).

This process seems to work really well for me. Hopefully I explained it well enough.

Jiistme

hasaan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 03:40:30 pm »

Wow this sounds pretty good!!! thanks a lot  :D I'll give it a try in the first few CDs right now!

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 04:19:00 pm »

hasaan,

Just so you know, the function I was talking about is this:

--Perform your search, and click the desired file to select it.
--In the Action window, click File Properties > File Playlists. This will show which playlists the selected songs appear on (those with the checkmark).

Of course, jiistme's solution is just as good if not better  :)

crow
Pages: [1]   Go Up