INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the purpose of "This Folder"?  (Read 2293 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What is the purpose of "This Folder"?
« on: November 06, 2003, 08:34:29 pm »

I'm not clear on the use of "This Folder" in the Advanced/Hard Disk Location part of the tree.  I searched the help and the forum -- the help had no references to this, and while some forum posts talked about it working or not working in various builds, I couldn't find an actual explanation on it's intended use.  It seems to simply be the same as the "all" list, so I'm obviously missing something.  How is "This Folder" used?

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:What is the purpose of "This Folder"?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 08:54:05 pm »

It's the files in the folder (but not a subfolder) of the current view.

So, looking at C:\Music

"This Folder" shows C:\Music\1.mp3 but not C:\Music\My Subfolder\1.mp3
"My Subfolder" shows the exact opposite

Without this, those files couldn't easily be played via the tree. (or TiVo browsing)

Hope that makes sense.

(would "No Subfolder" or something else be more clear?)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dragyn

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 09:06:06 pm »

I think something should be changed in the wording. Something different from the other directories.

If I look in my database, I think This Folder is an actual folder. I'm too lazy to rename folders to my liking. I have New Folder (s) all over the place.

Omni

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 12:15:45 am »

Maybe "<This Folder>" should be changed to "<Current Folder>" or maybe "<Current Directory>".  Or at the risk of getting wordy, "<Current Directory Only>".

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 12:46:51 am »

Sorry, but I'm just not "getting" it.  "This Folder" seems to always display ALL the mp3's on my system.  What do you mean by "current view"?  What do I do to change the "current view."

Sorry if I'm being dense here.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 07:38:26 am »

If anybody else wants to take a shot at clarifying this for me I'd appreciate it.  I'm sure it must be a simple thing, but for whatever reason I'm just not seeing the use of "this folder" at this point.

Thanks,

Larry

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 08:12:09 am »

Media Library\Advanced\Hard Disk Location is just a view.  Don't think of it in the same way you would with Windows Explorer.

It shows all the media recursively at the point you have selected:
For example, let's assume you have imported two music files.  One is located at c:\music\song1.mp3 and the other is located at c:\music\album\song2.mp3.

If you select Media Library\Advanced\Hard Disk Location\C:\Music you will see both song1.mp3 and song2.mp3

If you select Media Library\Advanced\Hard Disk Location\C:\Music\This Folder then you will only see song1.mp3

It only shows the media that you have imported into Media Center:
If there are any files in C:\Music (or any subdirectory of it) that you did not import into Media Center then you will not see them at all in Media Center or this view.

I hope this helps a little.

-Shadowen

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 08:27:22 am »

I just went to take a look at this in person, and I suddenly no longer see "This Folder" under "Hard Disk Location" in the tree.  Now I'm really confused.  Where did it go?  I'm just seeing the Drives at this point.

Thanks again,

Larry

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 08:58:53 am »

I just went to take a look at this in person, and I suddenly no longer see "This Folder" under "Hard Disk Location" in the tree.  Now I'm really confused.  Where did it go?  I'm just seeing the Drives at this point.

Thanks again,

Larry

Keep going down through the view.  "This Folder" will only appear under a folder in which a song is imported into the library.  Like in the example in my post above.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 05:03:53 pm »

I expanded the two drive trees fully -- I cannot find the "This Folder" anymore, including within the actual folders directly containing the songs.

This may explain why I couldn't understand it -- it may not be functioning correctly on my system.  When I COULD see "This Folder," it appeared at the very top of the list at the same "level" as the actual drives -- this was the ONLY place it appeared.  From what you're describing, it sounds like this wasn't correct.

Is it possible that the version I'm on (298) has some sort of bugs with the "This Folder" feature?

Thanks,

Larry

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 07:23:55 pm »

It's possible.  I am running version 9.1.299 and it works for me as I described.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 09:42:38 pm »

I just upgraded to 299.  "This Folder" is still nowhere to be found.  I expand all the drives as deep as they go, and all I get is the normal directory structure.  The "This Folder" entry is simply never there.  Is there an option to turn this on and off someplace?  Are there circumstances where it doesn't show up in the tree view?

Thanks again,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 09:41:53 am »

Are there circumstances where it doesn't show up in the tree view?

You'll only see it when a folder has both files and subfolders.  If you keep a clean structure like Artist/Album, you'll never have this case.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 05:29:19 pm »

Do you mean you'll only see it if you have files at different levels of a tree?  All of the files are at the last level in my tree -- i.e. I do not have a folder with files in it where this is also a subfolder with MORE files in it.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up