INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When does MC disable the screensaver?  (Read 2101 times)

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
When does MC disable the screensaver?
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:22:52 am »

I'm using MC in a htpc set-up.  As such I have full-screen output configured to go to Display #2.  Ideally I'd like to have MC running at all times so that I can just use my IRMAN to bring up the hairstyle menu when desired.

The problem I'm having is that MC is disabling the screen saver even when I'm finished playing something.  Does anyone know under what circumstances MC does / does not disable the screen saver?  I can understand disabling the screen saver when playing sometihng back but when nothing is happening?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:When does MC disable the screensaver?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 08:28:33 am »

What version?  Is it the latest?

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 08:40:04 am »

Not at home right now so can't remember.  It's been an issue for some time - since I started using MC as my htpc set-up a few months ago.

Is this something you guys have addressed in your more recent builds?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 08:43:05 am »

The screensave is disabled when in fullscreen mode without Hairstyle showing.

Maybe when playback stops, it should reenable the screensaver.  What do you think?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 09:13:23 am »

I would definitely vote yes to re-enabling the screensaver when playback stopped.

I also think there may be a bug somewhere because I've tried switching it into windowed mode after playing something in order to get the screensaver to kick in and it doesn't (or doesn't always - haven't done a lot of testing).

Note that all of these display mode changes are occurring via IRMAN commands using your plug-in.  Ideally from my perspective the way things would work would be:

1.  Media Center idle in fullscreen mode = screensaver enabled
2.  "Display" button pressed on remote to bring up hairstyle = screensaver disabled
3.  Playback started, fullscreen mode = screensaver disabled
4.  Playback stopped, fullscreen mode = screensaver re-enabled.

Right now it's a bit frustrating because I'd like to leave MC running at all times but instead what I do is shut it down when finished playing stuff.  Since the PC is in the basement (TV in living room) this means I either have to go downstairs to launch it or use RealVNC to remotely start it via my notebook.  Blech.

-Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 09:20:16 am »

Please update to the current version before reporting anything else.  There have been lots of changes in the last few months.

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 09:33:34 am »

I have been updating fairly regularly (every 2 weeks or so?).  I'm just not sure which version I've got right now.

I'll download the latest tonight and confirm the problem is still there and re-post.

Thanks.

Adam

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 06:36:00 pm »

Maybe when playback stops, it should reenable the screensaver.  What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 09:32:16 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion JimH on reinstalling the latest version.  It appears that MC is working as designed (no screensaver if fullscreen but otherwise ok).  

I would like to reiterate my support for Matt's idea of re-enabling the screensaver when in fullscreen mode once playback has stopped.

-Adam

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 08:22:08 am »

Just a bump to vote again for re-enabling the screen saver while in fullscreen/hairstyle with no activity.

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 09:08:53 am »

Why not automatically switching back to hairstyle when playback stops. Now there is only black screen and sometimes I forget that TV still has power on. And when it is back in hairstyle mode, screensaver will be enabled again..

AdamP

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 09:33:03 am »

Some questions:

1.  Is the screensaver enabled when in hairstyle mode?

2.  Is it possible to configure the PC so that the screen saver kicks in on the primary monitor but not on the TV output?  This would be the ideal situation for me where I leave MC constantly running (minimized) and am able to control it entirely from my living room (via IRMAN) without having any effect on the primary monitor.  If not the screensaver, perhaps just the power saving options?

3.  Does anyone else have a problem with 'pointer control' when they leave Media Center in hairstyle mode?

i.e. I find that if MC is running in hairstyle (output to TV) that I have trouble doing other things on my pc.  I'm not sure if this is due to hairstyle mode or the use of the IRMan remote plug-in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up