INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bleep sound on stop  (Read 2501 times)

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
bleep sound on stop
« on: November 18, 2003, 10:55:00 am »

Moved from MC 9.1.307 post:

Bug:
1. With recent builds (last 2 weeks or so), when pressing Stop while playing auido (MP3s) the fadeout works but then a loud 'bleep' of the track is heard just prior to completely stopping playback (like about 10 mSecs of the playing track).  This 'bleep' of music is heard no matter what the Stop Playback setting is (immediate or fadeout).  This defiinitely did not happen in MJ 8.0 or MC 9.0 or earlier 9.1 builds.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 9.1.307 available
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 10:57:16 am »

1. With recent builds (last 2 weeks or so), when pressing Stop while playing auido (MP3s) the fadeout works but then a loud 'bleep' of the track is heard just prior to completely stopping playback (like about 10 mSecs of the playing track).  This 'bleep' of music is heard no matter what the Stop Playback setting is (immediate or fadeout).  This defiinitely did not happen in MJ 8.0 or MC 9.0 or earlier 9.1 builds.

It sounds like a soundcard buffering issue.  Drivers may help.  Switching between WaveOut and DirectSound may also help.

Some cards do this and some don't.  If we don't flush the card, you'll hear that blip when the next sound starts instead.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 11:15:34 am »

It sounds like a soundcard buffering issue.  Drivers may help.  Switching between WaveOut and DirectSound may also help.

Some cards do this and some don't.  If we don't flush the card, you'll hear that blip when the next sound starts instead.

Figured as much...but, no new drivers are available (old soundcard too...using MS Win2K drivers...latest).  I guess you are saying the blip at the beginning of playback is now at the end of playback...I seem to remember that happening at the beginning (got used to it).  Was that a change put in later MC 9.1 releases?

Btw- Seems to work much better with DirectSound (was Waveout).

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 12:27:33 pm »

I have the same problem with ~5 last builds, also others have reported this here so the problem must be in Media Center

Switching between WaveOut and DirectSound doesn't help

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 12:46:58 pm »

me too.

Have stated this in another post - but am left with the "update
sound card driver" suggestion. I did this, and no new drivers are available. Didnt experience this either in previous builds - say 5 or 6 builds ago.

However, the blip/pop seems slightly better (less) in this build, but it is still there.

*edit: sorry to say that I was too quick in saying it has improved in the last build. It has not *

mrsnarky

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 01:31:01 pm »

I'm using 9.1.290 right now and the blip-pop mentioned in the above posts is not there.

FWIW - I went the update drivers route with .306 and it didn't help.  Neither did switching between Wave and Direct output.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re:bleep sound on stop
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 03:07:15 pm »

Hi,

Just updated from 291 to 307 and I confirm ZRocker's finding there's a bleep after fadeout when stop is pressed that was not audible with 291.

A bit less audible using direct sound than wave out but present in both modes.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 03:09:20 pm »

If you're using a fadeout stop mode, next build will probably eliminate any hiccup.  In those cases, we could have been restoring the volume too early for some cards.

Let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nameless

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 03:35:35 pm »

If you're using a fadeout stop mode, next build will probably eliminate any hiccup.  In those cases, we could have been restoring the volume too early for some cards.

Let us know.

I reported this issue a few builds ago.  I interpreted and reported it as a volume-control issue.  I'm running 307 now, and it's very prominent with fadeout (fast).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 06:04:48 pm »

This should be fixed in 9.1.308 available in a thread at the top of this board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up