INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Features  (Read 2091 times)

quentinjs

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
New Features
« on: November 24, 2003, 12:48:53 pm »

The two top tools I've played with are the Music Match and MJ 8.  I have about 10,000 songs, and spend a lot of time ensuring that the titles, etc are correct.  Pulling matching names is a place that Music Match shines, and an aspect that Music Jukebox could really elaborate on.

More functionality could be done to clean up filenames, such as removing () or {} from the file names.  Giving more then a couple fields to try and match to the field name of songs, or even intellignt filename parsing, and cleaning up.

I do like the playlist management in MJ.  But it would be nice if I could make 3 or 4 playlists, then create a "master playlist" that uses other playlists as a basis.  Now this would be handy for my player, in that I could say I have 20GB of space, and want  2,000 Christmas songs, 3,000 Pop and 4,000 Country songs.  (could also be based on MB).

Some of the editng in MJ can be very powerful, but at the same time more batch related tools could be added, to handle larger volumes of songs.  

Also the batch related functionality could be added right to the main player view section as a right click feature.

In the Microoft player, you can select a bunch of fields and change them all at once in the player section, not needing to go to a sub screen to do so.

With all the songs out there, or most of them, I am suprised that there is no way to easily extract song information from the internet built into MJ.

Cheers,
Quentin

Reeltrout

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:New Features
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 10:59:25 am »

Quentin: I read your post with some interest. I am just getting started on burning Cd's but totally confused by all the info out there. I received an Ipod for Christmas and am very frustrated by the lack of ablility to transfer my windows media WMA cd's into itunes. Looks like the software feature has been disconneced by JRiver. I also just bought a version of Musicmatch at the suggestion of Microsoft tech suport to discover they also have disconnected the ability to convert WMA files into MP3. The 800 lb. gorilla is alive an well.
Also, when I try and burn cd's directly into itunes it does not recognise the artist or track name. Apple tells me I have to go to a third part website to retrieve the artist name, etc. This is a good reason not to use itunes for anything.. .thus my reason for expoloring other software solutions.
Also, I am interested in  converting my rather large vinly LP collection into cd's. I have no idea where to get started with this.
Finally, my daughter introduced me to Kazaa last fall. I think we may have picked up  a virus in the process of using it. Now disconnected. Any suggestions for other sources of internet downloads and how to protect from viruses. I have both McAffee firewall and Norton anti-virus with weekly updates. Thanks for any help..sorry to ramble on. I just thought with 10,000 songs in your collection you might offer some good advice. Reeltrout
cmcoakley@aol.com

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 03:16:59 pm »

More functionality could be done to clean up filenames, such as removing () or {} from the file names.  Giving more then a couple fields to try and match to the field name of songs, or even intellignt filename parsing, and cleaning up.

this is in MC9, the program that basicly replaced MJ8 about 6 months ago.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Reeltrout

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 08:59:37 pm »

Where do I find MC 9 or MC 10. Ready to pay to make this headache go away. Thanks for your help King Sparta!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 01:18:20 am »

Hi Reeltrout,

MC9 or MC10 is Media Center 9 or Media Center 10 (very very beta).
You can find more info here in this forum, just click on General, then on Media Center 9.

j

Reeltrout

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 11:13:04 am »

Question: I read somewhere earlier on this site that MC9 will not convert windows media files to MP3 because of legal problems with Microsoft. Is this correct? If so when will this be resolved?

Omni

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 12:58:33 am »

Curious... What do you mean by "resolved?"  Do you mean, "When is it going to be legal for JRiver to break the law?"   ;D ;D ;D

Edit:  MC will convert non-protected (without DRM) WMA files just fine.  It's only protected (purchased) WMA files that MC refuses to convert, and understandably so.

quentinjs

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 03:12:07 pm »

2 thoughts....

1. Don't rip your music with protection turned on.
2. If I did have protection turned on, then since I still own those songs, why would it matter if they are protected or not.  I still own them.  Its not a matter of legality with M$... but with myself, and I give myself 100% authorization to convert those songs to MP3 :-)  (does that work  :P)

quentinjs

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 03:17:36 pm »

What does the MC10 beta - beta (or beta squared) have for a feature list?  I didn't seem any references to it.  Or download area.

Cheers,
Quentin

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 03:29:38 pm »

V10's features at this stage are very much like v9.1, see...
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/features.html

To see what people want in v10, see...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17505

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up