INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anonymity on the Internet  (Read 2269 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Anonymity on the Internet
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:18:04 pm »

Question:
Why is it often (usually?) preferred to be anonymous on the Internet?  Is it better?

[disclaimer:  answers from moderators like KingSparta will be carefully filed in the usual place]

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re:Anonymity on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 07:24:39 pm »

I fell discriminated Against
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 07:25:14 pm »

I don't understand the question...

...and what brought this on?

-anonymous-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 07:35:16 pm »

I don't understand the question...

...and what brought this on?

-anonymous-
Why do people named Steve go around as Xen?

BTW, you're disqualified, too.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 07:39:51 pm »

IDENTITY, PRIVACY, and ANONYMITY on the INTERNET

http://ideenreich.hypermart.net/jiimbo-jones/Identity-Privacy-and-Anonymity-on-the-Internet.htm

I really don't care, and it means nothing.

things can almost always be traced on the internet no matter what handle you use.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 07:45:23 pm »

My personal feeling is that I like to have Privacy.
If Someone I knew read the forums that I belong to (no not those, Get your mind out of the gutter) they would know what I am doing.

It makes it better that knowone knows me.. Expecially when I browse the forum from work... ;D
-

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 08:10:34 pm »

I remember when I was a mere fetus and overheard my parents talking about a name for me other than "it". I tried to get their attention by doing a series of short and long kicks. When they said "Steve", I tapped out NO!. I tried to relay out the full name of Xen Uno but they didn't understand Morse Code. The only response I got was a punch from Dad into my Ma's stomach when she complained I was kicking too much.

10-27

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 08:20:24 pm »

I started out not caring about who knew my name. But then I was in a chat room and got seriously flamed. I flamed back and then got threatened with having my house burned down. This guy knew at least the general vicinity of where to find me... not only the state but the right part of the state.  All it would take if he was really serious is a phone book if he had my real name.
I know all of this stuff is obtainable on the net (**100 proved that to me) but if you don't publish your real name, it just adds one more layer.
Besides, paranoia needs no reason.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 10:12:08 pm »

To avoid the spammers.....

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 11:31:14 pm »

Anonymity is useless - if you wouldn't say something to another ones face personally, you shouldn't say it at all.
If I prefered to be anonymous I wouldn't post to public forums/newsgroups.

Just my 2cents.

Mirko, back again...

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 12:53:43 am »

I can see where anonymity is ok in some instances, however in forum such as this one I don't really see the point. It would be fun to see if any of my old audiophile/sales buddies have been enlightened and are using MC !

As far as spam goes, it'll find you no matter what - use a good spam filter.

Jay Moynihan
former rep for: JVC, QUAD, Mission, DCM, Audio Technica amoungst others.

Listening to: 'Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts' from 'Blood on the Tracks' by 'Bob Dylan' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

phelt

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 01:42:55 am »

While a dedicated person could conceivably get quite a bit of data about you even if you do not reveal your full identity on the net, that's not a reason to simply ignore online risks. A similarly dedicated person could break into your house or car, but that's not a reason to ignore locks. Once data escapes, there is no 'reeling it back in' or returning it to the rightful owner.

People often speak more freely and with more zeal when they do not have to take the rest of their life into consideration. Sometimes they go overboard, but in general I like a less fettered environment of expression. I also like that anonymity can force aside prejudices large and small - if you don't know anything about a person other than their thoughts, then you have to examine and judge those thoughts to form conclusions.

In the States, anonymity is tied to the right of free speech. In a perfect world, people would not have their expressed opinions held against them in unrelated areas. But such a world does not exist.

In an unfortunately great number of countries, saying what you think can get you imprisoned or worse.

Obviously there are cases where people abuse their rights or liberties of speech - libel, slander, etc. But, as mentioned, those folks can often be tracked down. Bottom line, you don't have to be anonymous if you don't want to, but I recommend it.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 01:55:53 am »

I've never understood this anonymity on the net. I always use my own name.
I have nothing to hide.
(except for my mistress from my wife)
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Marko

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 02:28:44 am »

JimH, I'm not sure I like this question. You (well, your company) produces a media program for the PC, and you asking a question such as this is setting off a very loud klaxxon in my head. I have this image of JRiver sitting in deeply private meeting discussing a new "feature". Someone suggests the users won't like it, it raises privacy issues, so you post a vague question like this to see what kind of responses you get. kind of "let's shake the tree and see what falls down"
Calm my nerves and tell us, why are you asking? You're obviously an "internet aware" person, so you should already be aware of most of the pitfalls and sensible care of personal details?

One of the major plus points in MC's favour over the rest in the field is that you don't do that crap where you build personally identifiable software and then harvest info that says "player X plays a shedload of Nirvana" and so the e-mail associated with player X gets bombarded with spam encouraging them to buy the latest Nirvana re-hash or other from the genre.
Please don't do it. If you do do it, then give the end-user total control, ie. the ability to turn it off (after reading that bit back, I noticed that I just assumed that any such stuff would be on by default ::))

I don't think the question can really be answered. It's purely a "feeling" thing that varies from person to person. To me, it's just common sense. If a total stranger approached you in the street and asked you for your full name, address and phone number, would you just provide the information without question, then carry on along your way and not give it a second thought?

[Edit]**removed quite a long ramble about why we should all take care of our personal info in general, not just the internet**[/edit]

paranoid? who, me? who said that? you looking at me? :D

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 08:22:55 am »

Why ask?  Because I'm curious.

And it's fun -- I've got a big grin on my face from reading these.  Thanks.

But Marko, maybe you're right and there's money to be made by doing something sleazy.  I'll need to think about it.   ;)

nila

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 09:21:29 am »

I'm not that bothered as can be seen by the fact I use my real name on this forum.

I have no problems with admitting I'm me UNLESS people start using that information and trying to trace/monitor/follow/ what I do without my EXPRESS permission!

If they start trying to abuse it then I DO OBJECT STRONGLY and have no qualms doing whatever to bypass and mess up their systems - they're introding on my rights - I have the full right as far as I'm concerned to do whatever I want back to them to stop them doing so - a full DOS attack on any server I found spamming me profusely would be something I'd LOVE to do one day!
Give them a taste of what it's like to be on the recieving end!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 09:23:31 am »

Why privacy?

Because nobody needs to know anymore about me than I choose to tell them.

It's that simple.

Plus, on the internet, our words carry to millions of people. Surely at least one of those millions is a lunatic, just itching to latch onto somebody for some diabolical scheme or another... :P

zevele10

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 10:25:11 am »

Not sure it is only a matter of privacy.

Can be also just fun to be Cowofthedoom , or Charlemagne8 , or KingSparta or Zevele.

In another hand i would not like to have to put  my full name and adress on a forum as my user name.

As you know i'am going to many concerts-- I know EVERYONE .
But i know the name of only no more than 10% of this EVERYONE crow.

It is not only on the net that such things happens..

I'am on only 3 almost confidential forums --MJ , PowerAmp and ,less and less, SillydogNetscape.

So nothing of what i feel is out of paranioa.

I know a much more than the user name of many who are on Interact -- as they know about me-

I would never ever  take the liberty to use it on this forum.

Nothing to do with paranoia or privacy : just to do about to be well educated.

Well ,most of the time ...i know... but not allways...
Pages: [1]   Go Up