INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise/partial song at beginning of 1st track  (Read 2809 times)

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
Noise/partial song at beginning of 1st track
« on: November 26, 2003, 08:26:32 am »

Am not at my pc right now so can't dump the config, but I have repeatedly reported this problem before.  Am on 310 right now, but this problem has been happening going back many months.

When burning a cda from mp3's, for the first 10-15 seconds on the first track there is a loud buzzzz or sometimes a piece of a song from another track.   This seems to happen when the DSP burn effects are enabled (ie, this last time I only had Recording Studio=1, Wider, Replay Gain on).

A few months ago (around July I think), it was mentioned to disable DSP burning, and ok that did seem to give a good clean burn.  But then I *want* to use the DSP options, so I end up adding them back one at a time then have all of the same ones added and finally get a good burn.  What the heck is going on?  I'm going crazy wasting my time having to burn multiple cdrw's (to keep from using up cdr's) just to do testing.

I have even completely wiped MC9.1 and reinstalled.  Again, I can't post my exact config right now, but I will try to paste it below.

Please help.  :-[

Mark

Here is a previous post on this, the only thing that has changed in my config is that I'm now using 9.1.310:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16072;start=msg109039#msg109039

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:PLEASE fix this cda burn problem - Noise at beginning of 1st track
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 02:42:39 pm »

I haven't had the particular problem you mention but I agree the burning part of MC has been buggy.  Like you, I've come across bugs which have been fixed and then reappear on later builds.

My "confidence" in this area is low ,which is why I tend to use another app, even though I would much prefer the convenience of burning within MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 02:46:02 pm »

I haven't had the particular problem you mention but I agree the burning part of MC has been buggy.
Could you be more specific?

Updating to today's build may help.  A minor bug was fixed with CD burning.

Noise may be something else.  How about other DSP's (third party)?

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 09:02:53 pm »

OK I upgraded to 313, hoping the 312 cda burning fix would fix my problems, but no - same buzzing on first 10sec of 1st track.  Plus, the track markers seem to be "off" - ie, the track # changes but the previous track is still playing (for about 10sec, the same amount of time as the buzzing on the 1st track).  

AND, the same old problem is back of the cda burn dialog freezing when writing the leadout, yet the cd is ejected like the burn completed normally.  The frozen burn dialog has the message: "Status: Logical unit not ready, long write in progress".

PLUS, I have also had a problem just starting burns.  When hitting the Burn CD button an error displays saying something like the CD Writer is not initialized ... But exiting and restarting MC9.1 fixes that problem.

These are just too many problems, and is especially aggravating since 2 of them have been happening at least since July.

Media Center Registered 9.1.313 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1977 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 112 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive V:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive V: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-106D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 09:58:02 pm »

Try uinstalling other CD writing software.  This is too unusual to be very likely to be an MC bug.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 10:23:44 pm »

XP's native burning is disabled, there is no other burning software installed.  I removed the DVD burner from Device Manager and had XP redetect it.  Then did a complete uninstall/reinstall with 313, and same problems.

Completely disabled the DSP burn options and got two successful burns so far.  Not using any DSP burn options has also worked in the past when having the other problems.  But, I really *want* to use some of those DSP options.  

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 07:21:49 pm »

I had 12 out of 12 successful burns today, all with DSP burning off.  So, the problem must be related to DSP burning.  Will try to isolate the problem more.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 08:25:11 am »

OK after successfully burning over 12 or so cda's WITHOUT any DSP burning options I just tried a cda burn with DSP burn options "Omit Silence", Replay Gain, and CD-Text.  Same problem as before:

On the first track there is buzzing for 7 seconds.  Plus, the track (cue?) markers seem to be "off" - ie, the track # changes on the (consumer) CD player but the previous track is still playing (for about 7sec, the same amount of time as the buzzing on the 1st track), then the next song starts, then 7sec before it ends the track/cue marker progresses, then 7 sec later the next song starts, etc, etc

AND, the same old problem is back of the cda burn dialog freezing when writing the leadout, yet the cd is ejected like the burn completed normally.  The frozen burn dialog has the message: "Status: Logical unit not ready, long write in progress".

Note that these burn problems seemed to start around July04, or at least that's when I first noticed it when I burned a bunch of cda's for a trip around that time.  Also note that at least two times, instead of 7sec of buzzing on the first track there has been 7sec of another song.  So, there must be something goofy going on with a MC buffer or something.

I really would like to get this fixed.   :-[

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 09:36:26 am »

I'm trying to replicate the problem here, but so far haven't been able to. When you click the "Settings" button under "Apply cross-fade and DSP effects to the CD", what do you have selected for "Transition between Tracks" and "Duration"? Is replay gain the only DSP you have checked?

Also, have you tried using all the same settings except unchecking the "Omit silent sections..." option? If it works then, that would narrow it down to the "omit silence" option as being the culprit.

If you have another CD burner to try, you could test it with that to rule out MC having a compatibility problem with the Pioneer drive.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 09:58:06 am »

Ok thanks for looking into it.  Yes Replay Gain was the only dsp burn option selected this time.  It will be later this evening before I can retry with Omit Silence and CD-Text deselected.  Unfortunately I don't have another burner.

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 10:20:36 am »

Don't de-select CD-text, just the omit silence option. Also, when you click the "Settings" button under "Apply cross-fade and DSP effects to the CD", what do you have selected for "Transition between Tracks" and "Duration"?

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 01:34:15 pm »

OK I'll try that when I get home.  The Transition was always set at Gapless (not sure on Duration, but I think that does not matter if setting gapless, I'll have to check later).

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 07:18:24 pm »

OK I deselected Omit Silence, and the cda burn had the buzzing.  I deselected Apply crossfade and dsp effects and the burn was successful.  I reselected Omit Silence and the burn was successful.  Reselected Apply crossfade and dsp effects and it was *successful*.  

This has happened before, I started deselecting options until the problem disappeared, then added them all back and the problem did not reappear until restarting MC.  

Am really frustrated.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 08:59:04 am »

OK I did find a Startup item called something like SAIMON.EXE (I think, I'm not at the PC right now) that I think got installed as a part of WriteDVD which also installed automatically with the bundled DVD software that came with the Pioneer DVD burner (I think it provides UDF or packet writing capability).   I only got to try one cda burn with the DSP (and Omit Silence, Gapless, etc) selections enabled and it burned successfully.  

Will try more burns tonight.  But *if* it there is a conflict between MC and WriteDVD I would hope it gets fixed because that WriteDVD functionality is very much needed for DVD burners.
http://www.softarch.com/us/products/writedvd.html

Also, before I found and deselected that SAIMON.EXE, when MC would hang (causing me to need to hit Cancel, which in itself took a long time to actually complete the Cancel operation) at end of a cda burn I think it left behind a file called something like burncache.dat in the temp burn folder ... at least I saw a file called something like that with a much earlier timestamp when I was doing a newer cda burn (which created a new file called something like burncache.raw) ... so anyway I just thought I'd mention this because this might be a clue to some other burn problems (ie, maybe before starting a new burn MC should check to make sure the files in the temp burn folder are deleted or check their status or something).

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 10:54:32 am »

If you could run some more tests to verify that there's a conflict with the saimon.exe program, that would be great. Also, let us know what version of the WriteDVD software you have.

Thanks!
John T.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 08:37:53 pm »

Am using WriteDVD 5.0.4 ... I would be willing to upgrade it if another version is found to work properly with MC (that is, if it is really conflicting with MC ... I will be doing more tests the next few days).  Thanks.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 09:22:46 pm »

OK I did a full MC uninstall/reinstall.  Even without that WriteDVD saimon.exe running am getting the same problem ... the cda burn dialog hangs for a long time on the last track, then that dialog says "Logical unit not ready, long write in progress" ... have to Cancel it ... the burned cda is playable, but it has the same 7sec buzzing on first track and the tracks are "off" by 7sec.   Also, there are two files remaining in the temp folder: burncache.dat, burncache.raw

Is there maybe a debug mode that can be enabled?

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 08:13:02 am »

I tried one more cda burn (without saimon.exe loaded) with DSP on (w/ only Replay Gain) and "Gapless", but with "Omit silence ..." deselected - the burn was successful.  That's all the testing I had time for last night.  

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:24 am »

Could you try creating a log of an unsuccessful burn session and sending it to me? Here are the instructions:

Turn on MC's logging for CD burning by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to burn a CD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdwriter.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 05:56:36 pm »

The burn last night with "Omit silence ... " disabled (and DSP Replay Gain ON, Gapless) was successful.   I kept everything the same except enabled "Omit silence ..." and enabled logging, and got the bad burn with the cd burn dialog hang with "Long write ..." (and so had to Close the dialog) and there is that 7sec buzzing on first track, and the tracks are "off" by 7sec.

The cdwriter.log is ready to be sent, just let me know how to send it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 05:58:17 pm »

The burn last night with "Omit silence ... " disabled (and DSP Replay Gain ON, Gapless) was successful.   I kept everything the same except enabled "Omit silence ..." and enabled logging, and got the bad burn with the cd burn dialog hang with "Long write ..." (and so had to Close the dialog) and there is that 7sec buzzing on first track, and the tracks are "off" by 7sec.

The cdwriter.log is ready to be sent, just let me know how to send it.

he said: johnt @ jriver.com
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 07:54:48 am »

John, the log was >3MB which seemed too large to send via email, but I did not get any bounce backs, etc.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 08:30:54 am »

John, the log was >3MB which seemed too large to send via email, but I did not get any bounce backs, etc.

maybe you could also delete the log and start a new test, maybe the file will be smaller.

then turn the registry back to "0" for that key to stop the log from growing out of control
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2003, 08:52:35 am »

The log gets overwritten/recreated each time MC is started, and this log was from a fresh start.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2003, 08:57:05 am »

I see, sounds rather large I know my e-mail would error out.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2003, 09:07:07 pm »

Can I please get some action on this problem?

JimH

• Administrator

Try splitting the log into several parts and mailing it.  Or burn a CD and mail to:

John Thompson
JRiver
125 N First St
Minneapolis MN 55401
USA

It's possible this is a driver problem or something else weird.  If it was just an MC problem, I think we'd hear more about it.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen

JohnT got the log on 7Dec and on 8Dec replied: "I can see where the burning problems occur but I haven't been able to figure out why as yet."  ...  That's all I've heard even though I also asked him directly earlier this week if there were any ideas.

I did try some more testing.  I can get good burns with these cda burn options ON:
- Do not play silence ...
- DSP: Replay Gain=Automatic, Overflow=Clip Protection

BUT, I get the 1st track 7sec buzz or part of diff track (and the track markers are off by 7sec) if I ALSO turn ON:
- DSP: Effects - Surround Field=Wider (or Wide) and/or if one of the Environments are enabled (like Recording Studio)

There seems to be something going wrong in the DSP preparation of the tracks - that would seem to explain the 7sec buzz/partial song at the beginning of 1st track and the markers being thrown off by 7sec.  But, I don't see how that could cause the end of burn dialog to hang and throw the "Logical unit not ready, long write in progress" message.

I'm using a Pioneer A06 DVD burner, now; but, when I also first saw this problem back in July I had a Yamaha cdrw.   I know it's a difficult problem to diagnose, and I'm trying to do my part but now I'm spending my vacation troubleshooting.  Hopefully the logs I already sent may give some clue, there were errors in it.  

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen

Did the log files reveal anything? Any ideas???  Is there an incompatibility with the Pioneer DVR A06/106?  I have stripped down to the bare essentials.  

During the last 25 or 30 test burns I've been testing with cdrw's to save cdr blanks.  When cda burning, intermittently the cd-text does not burn to the disc even though that's the first message that the MC burn dialog says is occurring.  When I use MC to erase the cdrw it says the erase has completed but when I go into Windows Explorer the tracks still show - an erase within Explorer then erases the tracks.  I found this problem because when MC *did* write the cd-text on a cda burn, I would then use MC to erase the cdrw and reburn a *different* set of tracks the previous cd-text was still on the disc and so would not match the new tracks.

This is all very odd behavior.  Using XP's burning I can write hundreds of files successfully to a cdr, cdrw, dvd-r or dvd-rw.  Plus I fired up MusicMatch and all burns with it are fine including cd-text.  It appears the problem is with MC.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen

It does look like there are multiple problems.  If I could get the original problem addressed that would be cool.  Basically I get consistent successful cda burns using MC when DSP burn options (ie, Replay Gain, Effects, Omit silence) are disabled.  (I also get consistent successful burns using MusicMatch Jukebox).

Again, when this burn problem occurs, a loud buzzing noise OR part of another song is at the first 7sec of the 1st track, then the rest of the track markers are all delayed by 7sec, too.  The last time this happened, the first 7sec was actually 3sec of a middle of a song plus 3sec of the middle of a different song - BOTH THOSE SONGS WERE IN THE IMMEDIATELY PREVIOUS CDA BURN SESSION!  Now how does THAT happen?  It's like there is a buffer somewhere that is being grafted onto the new burn - and that when I sometimes get the buzzing instead maybe that is data that is trying to be played back as audio.  

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen

Just wanted to report that during the many test burns this week the problems have been fixed.  I need to backtrack to find out exactly why, but am kinda leery that I might break it again for a long time so need to take it slow.  It looks like there were multiple problems unrelated to one another.
Pages: [1]   Go Up