INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Issues  (Read 1271 times)

johnp

• World Citizen
  • let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'
Media Server Issues
« on: December 01, 2003, 01:34:56 pm »

Hi All,

I am having some issues with Media Server.  My goal is to play available music on a Media Center PC (call this one PC1) on a second Media Center PC (call this PC2) across a LAN.

PC1 and PC2 are both running Media Center 9.1.291  The Media Server version is 1.0.185 with protocol version 0.9.  Both PC1 and PC2 have access to the library from a separate server.

My first question is that when I first ran the Media Server Application it asked me if I want to install the LAME MP3 encoder.  Since I don't have even 1 MP3 file in my library, I assume this means the files will be streamed in MP3 format.  Is this true?  All my files are .wav format.  Do they get converted?  If the native format is maintained, why does the application nag me to install the LAME encoder every time it statrs?  How (and where) do I configure the format of the stream?

A bigger problem is that once I submit and install the LAME encoder the audio does not play unless I reconfigure the zone audio preferences.  Even if that means setting them to something wrong and then back to what it was before.  In my case I am using either an M-Audio Delta Dio or Delta 410 sound card On PC2 and the same or in one case a generic Motherboard sound chip on PC1.  This problem exists for both M-Audio cards.  The Dio and 410 happen to use the same driver.

Any ideas to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Media Server Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 01:40:58 pm »

John,
Build 313 is at the top of this thread.  One or two problems have been fixed in it.  It's worth trying.

Wav files should stream, but I have no experience with it.

For testing, can you try a small library of APE files?

Jim

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 12:35:10 pm »

No the files will not be streamed in MP3 format. The MP3 decoder is needed for the TiVo functionality, which you may or may not be using.

Can you try playing something on the client directly instead of connecting to the server? That'll tell us if it is a problem with Media Server client, or Media Center.

j

johnp

• World Citizen
  • let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 06:20:58 pm »

If I use a local library everything works great.  I can have multiple zones of audio playing while simultaneously sending DD out the S/PDIF port.  The problem only exists when connected to a media server library.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 10:16:43 am »

If you switch audio output types, close MC, and then try again does it make any difference? (WaveOut vs DirectSound vs ASIO)

It sounds like the audio driver is failing to start, but then when we ask again later it works.  Maybe a different output mode would help.

Make sure you have the latest sound card drivers as well.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up