INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously cheesed off  (Read 11646 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Seriously cheesed off
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2003, 12:23:56 am »

I can certainly understand how some may interpret having a feature pulled as bait & switch. In JR's defense though, they are generally added late in the development cycle of each version and thus are considered experimental...or as a preview of coming attractions. The only exception to this I've personally seen (and mentioned by a2) is the pulling of TV/DVD playback in MJ8 (which was put in early and pulled late).

I'm using MC purely for audio, and still rely on other prog's to get the music into it. So...I'm using it at about a 5/10ths level, and can't really comment on whether a feature is "finished" or not (such as HairStyle). I can say this...every function in MJ8 (396) at home here seems to work well and I would expect MC9.1 to reach that same level of solidity on the vast majority of comps.

Maybe JRiver ought to have sort of a roadmap for each version (starting with V10), laying out the expected feature list. This list would surely be subject to change, but an outline for what is intended may appease folks who are upset now. Consolidating the posts in Matt's "V10: Turning the tables" thread would be a good starting point.

10-27

jleerigby

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2003, 05:14:23 am »

Maybe JRiver ought to have sort of a roadmap for each version (starting with V10), laying out the expected feature list.
I assume the reason they don't do this is so as not to allow competitor advantage.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2003, 06:05:52 am »

Maybe JRiver ought to have sort of a roadmap for each version (starting with V10), laying out the expected feature list.

why do you ASSUME they don't? they already said they do, they just are not shareing it with US (as with most software companys). just incase what they plan does not or can not be done for one reason or another. if they did i am sure they also would not hear the end of that also.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2003, 10:32:52 am »

All the competitors have to do is DL JR's betas to see what they're up to. There is a big difference between a general listing of expected features and the actual implemention of them...I don't think JR gives anything away by doing so.

...or they keep doin' what their doin'. I have no preference either way and only God knows why.

10-27

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2003, 12:01:33 pm »

I can certainly understand how some may interpret having a feature pulled as bait & switch. In JR's defense though, they are generally added late in the development cycle of each version and thus are considered experimental...or as a preview of coming attractions. The only exception to this I've personally seen (and mentioned by a2) is the pulling of TV/DVD playback in MJ8 (which was put in early and pulled late).

I thought this was why some of the version 8 licenses worked for 9 as well.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2003, 04:55:10 pm »

Whoo!!  Away for a short time and bam!!  Here is my personal opinion...I bought into MJ at version 8...I became a member of this forum and actively enjoyed the beta testing so downloaded a new version whenever it came out...I did this because I wanted to...When MC 9 came out I was able to upgrade using my exisiting licence and then the same again for 9.1.  This was well over a year ago.  In that time I have been through a lot of highs and lows with the software...there have been times where I have got racked off with the process, there have been times where I am sure I have annoyed the hell out of the JRiver staff (and if I have I can only apologise) but all the way through I have stuck with this because I believe in this software...where it is now and where it is going to be.  I have used three major versions of his software (lets face it the difference from 9.0 to 9.1 is really a major revision) and it cost me the miniscule price of $30.  if my time has come to pay an upgrade fee I will knowing that I am paying money to a development team who listens to my requests and responds by producing an excellent piece of software which I use every day and which I could not find the equivalent to anywhere else.  I for one will actively dl every single build of MC 10 that I can as I very much like the way it is going...take into account that this is the first beta of the new version...already we have these new features - tagging auto complete, a completely redesigned action window, new media modes...when MC10 gets to the status of mc 9.1 (is it at 316 now) it is gonna nothing short of Freaking awesome...

Count me in for the boat trip...the waters may be rough at points but Ill be happy on the journey kniowing how good the port will be when we dock!!

Vive la JRiver!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

a2hoo

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2003, 06:25:17 pm »

I thought this was why some of the version 8 licenses worked for 9 as well.

People who had a version 7 license though were using version 8 legally.  When MJ 8 became MC9, those with version 7 license were left in the dust,  It kind of is a moot point becaus e it affected only one person (me) and I was "dumb" enough to buy MJ 9 anyhow :)

Though I will say I caved and bought 9 only for ipod support.  Now with itunes out, and no .aac tag support or live updating in media center, i will be hard pressed to buy 10 in the future.  MC really has a huge challenge which I think it canot fulfill: support all media types in a manner that people would not want to use other programs.  In addtion, they have to keep up with handhelds and other trends in the industry.  I understand why they release new versions, it probably is an expensive endeavor.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2003, 06:53:30 pm »

MC really has a huge challenge which I think it canot fulfill: support all media types in a manner that people would not want to use other programs.  In addtion, they have to keep up with handhelds and other trends in the industry.  I understand why they release new versions, it probably is an expensive endeavor.  
You're correct that it is an immense challenge.  We compete with some companies who have much larger budgets.  Luckily, we have our own secret weapons -- our team and our users.  We also have a friend who carries a big stick.  I don't think you have to worry about whether we'll be able to compete.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2003, 06:58:37 pm »

We also have a friend who carries a big stick.

I wonder who this guy is with a big stick
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2003, 10:50:21 pm »

I wonder if he walks softly

:D
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Michael Horton

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2003, 12:25:04 am »

Zevele said:
But i do not like people with feet smelling like a cheese that smells like people's feet.

. . . . and I nearly blew pepsi and cashews out my nose

Then Zevele Said

I cannot say i love MC9-- I hate all the non music stuff on my way, making my life miserable.

. . . and I nodded in agreement while wiping my nose

And lastly . . . I finished reading the thread, realized how much I miss this place, thought about how I use MC9 every day and how I've long since given up any hope of finding a music program  that's half as good(in spite of all the picture/video components making my life miserable), and concluded that the cost to upgrade is well worth it. Can we pay for MC10 yet?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up