INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously cheesed off  (Read 11642 times)

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Seriously cheesed off
« on: December 05, 2003, 07:36:23 pm »

I bought MC 9 figuring that Hairstyle would incrementally upgrade until it met my needs. Now development on 9 is shuttering.

When I realized that Hairstyle didn't quite suit me, I figured, well, I should support these guys and at least their player is good, their tagging is great and their playlist creation tools aren't bad. And hey, I can transfer files to my Zen.

Oh, wait, when I try to transfer files to my Zen it borks my Zen, all the files are named wrong and the playlists don't transfer. But at least it plays my DVD's.

Oh, wait, my DVD's play so quietly that I can actually hear my DVD drive seeking amplified through my speakers, so I need to use a different DVD player in myHTPC which is what I bought MC9 to power. But at least eventually Hairstyle will meet my needs.

Oh, wait, it won't because you guys are shuttering development on something I never would have bought if I had known that development was shuttering shortly.

You guys did great work, I'm very appreciative of MC 9.1, but I have zero intention of upgrading to 10.

You have a product that is NOT FINISHED. Lots of people bought 9 to power HTPC's and you've shut us out of the loop and ignored feature requests. I don't WANT to buy music through my music player, especially at ridiculously over inflated prices that don't even make a profit for the people hawking the DRM cripples files. I'm sorry for you because you seem to have hitched your wagon to a business model that's going to be proven unprofitable before you even get into it, and I'm even more sorry that you seem to be alienating a lot of your customers trying to do it.

Well, here's hoping that you decide to back-port any upgrades to Hairstyle.

skills

LisaRCT

Re:Seriously cheesed off
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 07:40:18 pm »

Cheese is not good for your cholesterol levels.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 07:57:45 pm »

I love cheese. Especially the kind that smells like people's feet. And I like beer that smells like skunk.

As a consummate lurker and frequent poster for over two years, I have seen this exact same complaint after Version 7, Version 8 and now Version 9. All of these versions still work and work well. You can quit upgrading any time you want and still have a great product.

Myself, I will gladly pay the upgrade fee to Version 10 and continue to joyfully (OK, sometimes not) use the "New and Improved" Beta's when they come out. It's great fun.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

MachineHead

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 07:59:17 pm »

CVIII,

Are ya gonna be able to do that with this one? Seems iffy at this point.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 08:08:02 pm »

Do which? 10 don't work for me, yet. Maybe the next one.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 08:11:37 pm »

I don't think this is any different than walking into best buy and buying Front Page 2002 for $150 and then find out that Front Page 2003 was released 2 weeks later with no chance of getting the improved options.

I however did not buy Front page 2002 because I was an informed buyer and knew better.

I do understand the users who are expressing there feelings however.

On the other hand I think JimH said something about a small fee to off set this feeling users may have.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MachineHead

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 08:12:30 pm »

Do which? 10 don't work for me, yet. Maybe the next one.
CVIII

Exactly.

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 08:20:12 pm »

I love cheese.

mmmm.... cheese...

As a consummate lurker and frequent poster for over two years, I have seen this exact same complaint after Version 7, Version 8 and now Version 9. All of these versions still work and work well. You can quit upgrading any time you want and still have a great product.

Don't have a problem with that. I think 9.1 is a strong product, but it's not what I paid for. I'm cheesed off because I payed for a product that I don't feel like I got, I thought development was going to be ongoing, I thought Hairstyle would improve, I thought the interface would get cleaned up a bit, I thought a lot of things. If I had known that the software's cycle was nearly finished I never would have bought it. That's what I'm angry about.

skills

ps - because I just noticed Sparta's comments - Show me where v10 was announced... Because I never saw any mention that development was closing down on 9.1. And your example isn't really accurate, 9.1 isn't a finished product to my mind, I bought into a development cycle, look at what has typically been the top message on this board - "The latest known stable version of 9.1 is here," not exactly what you expect to hear from a product that's "finished." When I buy FrontPage 2002, I know not to expect much more than what I'm buying, when I bought MC9 I expected a host of improvements. Caveat emptor and all, but also, "Fool me once...." and that's once, there won't be a twice.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 08:27:42 pm »

Development for MC9 was done(Finished) about 6 months ago

JimH Stated prior to the start of MC9.1 that it would contain bug fixes and some small improvments of MC9. You and others may not have been around then but for users who have been here they were told.

This info is aval someplace in the forum history

MC9 has been under development for about 1 1\2 years and i think it works very well and can't wait to see what MC10 will hold.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 08:37:33 pm »

Development for MC9 was done(Finished) about 6 months ago

I don't know how anyone can call development finished when it (9.x) still has serious bugs. The incredible slowness of OGG tag information to update is just one example. Issues like these need to be addressed in the version we paid for, not a new version that we might not want to upgrade to. I've always recommended this product to friends, but I'm still waiting for a version to be truly finished. I no longer can recommend it in good conscience, knowing of the faults and the slim chances they will be fixed. Seriously, this product has become something of a developers' and beta groupies' plaything. The interface keeps changing, and each new change brings new bugs.
From the desk of: wonmug

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 08:48:40 pm »

I don't know how anyone can call development finished when it (9.x) still has serious bugs.

So you think windows 2000 when finished with 64,000+ bugs was ok then?

I don't see microsoft still fixing windows 1.0, they moved on also

programs are never finished and will always have bugs it is a way of life.

if you have not been reading the forum some bugs will be fixed in the next build of 9.1 as stated by steve today for something or another. so they seem to be planing a few fixes. I would not think or expect that every bug in a the program will be fixed.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

antolod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 09:11:05 pm »

I'm thinking..... My 2002 Dodge didn't have a hemi.  Do you think they will give me a free upgrade?
Kevin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
iPod 30gig
WinXP/ P4 2gig
Media Center 11.0.changes daily - 8040 files so far...

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 09:27:11 pm »

For all those comparing SW to a physical hardware items you are being foolish.

When I buy into a product I make an evaluation if it is being actively developed and if it is I base my value of the package on if I trust its development team to further the item.  Would I pay $40 for a static app ?? NO

At this stage I see quite a few areas of MC9.1 that are not finished... The product has been gold for how long ?? And now its development will cease ?? That does not sit well with me.  Basic things like hairstyle just are not yet polished... They still feel beta.  
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 09:57:31 pm »

Well, cheesed, not cheesed, having read hyper-threads about twirls and twists and general bent-out-of shapes...and I truly have no idea where I stand on any of it.

But I sit here with my MC 9.1 at a very odd 315, wondering what the hell do I do? I was briefly shown a glimpse of what would a day later become 10, and if I upgrade I am making (more than likely) a commitment to someday (who knows when) spend at least $10, maybe $20 (depending on who you believe or what you read) and then wait for the moon to align with Saturn, etc.

I don't like the "see this whoops! no you didn't it's actually over here for more money" routine. But on the other hand will I put in another quarter and continue the game from this point or put my quarters in another machine and get a different amusement, or save my money knowing I have enough as it is. Number 3 is pretty tempting, but then I'm still stuck on 315, and boy it's got some bugs, or move on to 316 and leave behind the "non-profitable" slip of improvements? It's a pickle alright.

WP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 10:44:46 pm »

Please keep a list of bugs you find and post them in the build threads until they're fixed.  Bringing them up in a complaint thread like this isn't helpful.

If you participate in daily builds you will see more changes (good and bad) and experience more speed bumps than what most users (who don't download that often) see.  We love the help but only do it if you enjoy the process too.

From King:
MC9 has been under development for about 1 1\2 years and i think it works very well and can't wait to see what MC10 will hold.

Thanks King.  I feel the same way.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Philethius

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 11:09:27 pm »

Let me drop my two cents.  I get on here quite often to check for new updates.  I rarely post, seeing as I don't really have a need to and most people address my concerns before I never to post, anyway.

I'm a moderate music listener.  As such I use my music programs a lot.  Not as much as some, but still quite a bit.  I love what 9.1 is.  It works, but it still has bugs (albiet not nearly as many as it did awhile back, but still has bugs).

Here is my point.  I have several players on my system.  Winamp 2.91, MC 9.1, WMP 9 (it was already on here anyway), and my Creative Labs program which installed with my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro software/hardware.  I use Winamp, Creative, and MC 9.1 a lot.  Winamp is fast and quick, MC 9.1 is the "do-all", and Creative has integrated support with the remote it came with and all the audio effects and whatnot the card supports.  MC doesn't do that.  No biggie, that's new hardware.

Anyway, my point is, the Creative software is created by the software/hardware giant Creative Labs so it better work right, but MC and Winamp aren't.  But between the two, Winamp hasn't crashed on it's own in years (that's saying before I bought XP Pro and I had the world's most flaky WinME system).  I can't say the same for MC.  

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 12:25:45 am »

Please keep a list of bugs you find and post them in the build threads until they're fixed.  Bringing them up in a complaint thread like this isn't helpful.

The incredible slowness at updating tags in OGG files is something I've pointed out at least twice, but it's not specific to any build; it's in all of them. Moreover, you've got users who don't download all the builds, but notice problems without knowing whether they are new in a build or have been around for a while. I've also had problems I haven't bothered to report -- like crashing when sending too many files to a CD-R for burning (because it's so hard to see how many have been sent) -- if they are features I haven't been using regularly. So is the OGG problem something you are working on in 9.1, something you will look at in 10, or something you have no interest in fixing? As a paid user of three successive versions, I think I deserve at least knowing the status of this problem and what your plans are.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 12:44:00 am »

There's no such thing as a problem we "have no interest in fixing."  In the case of OGG tagging we weren't aware there was any problem.

If you find a problem, let us know in the build thread.  If we can reproduce it we'll fix it soon.  Otherwise we'll ask for some more help.

When things are hectic or a bug is obscure it may take a few builds. (and postings of the report)  Please try to bare with us in those cases.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 12:47:15 am »

Why would you buy a product based on what you believe it WILL be, rather than what it IS? That, to me, is just foolish. If the application that you're evaluating is worth $40 to you, as it is RIGHT NOW, then buy it. If not, then don't, and wait and see if it ever does become worth it to you.

We see this with every new version of MJ/MC. People assume that the beta is the product. It's not. It's just a beta. Most companies have closed betas. They have a group of people that they allow to beta test and provide feedback, and the general public is left in the dark. They have no idea what's being worked on and what features or bugs may be present. Then one day, the product is released to the public and they are free to download it and evaluate if it's worth buying.

Instead of doing this, JRiver allows anybody to download the beta and play around with it, and provide feedback if they desire. But nobody is requiring you to. If you want a more traditional model, then stay out of the beta threads and don't go any further than the download page. Download only the released version, evalute it, and decide if it's worth buying it.

Don't buy a program based on your expectations of its development. The only people who get to do that are those that have hired a programmer to write a program for them. They get every feature they want, and it'll work exactly the way they want it to. But it will cost a hell of a lot more than $40.

If your expectations aren't being met, then maybe you should adjust your expectations. There's a reason why companies exist that sell HTPC software for hundred's of dollars. If you want software with that kind of feature set, then fork over the money for it. When you pay $40 for a piece of software, don't expect the equivalent of a $200 software package.

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 12:58:24 am »

I think more than anything, I'm just surprised that the jump from 9.1 to 10 was made, I kind of expected to be going maybe to 9.5 soon, then maybe 10 later.  It was just kind of surprising and unexpected to see 10 pop up so soon (it seems soon anyway).

I'm not mad at all though, I paid my $40 and MC9 has been serving up music and photos to my Tivo and both my laptops through my wireless network at home faithfully for months, and I have no reason to believe that it won't continue to do so.

I'm getting an iPod soon too, so we'll see if I decide to use MC9 for it, or maybe try out iTunes.

--Matt

sraymond

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 01:09:59 am »

Guys,

I want to say one more thing, and then I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

I find it "interesting" (amusing? alarming? disconcerting?) that there are two diametrically opposed views to this issue.  

On the one hand, there are people lamenting about their feelings.  You certainly can't say they're not entitled to "feel" a certain way.  You might believe it illogical and unjust - but everyone is entitle to a feeling.  And I seriously doubt but a few people might be converted based on the posts of others.

On the other hard, there are people saying "don't do this if...  don't do that if...  you should do this...  you should feel...".  Doesn't this seem a bit presumptuous?  Telling people *what* they should feel, do, or believe?  

JRiver is well-experienced in software development - and they are certainly savvy enough to perform a risk-benefit analysis of their decisions.  I imagine they would welcome any feedback - the more datapoints, the better decisions they can make.

Scott-

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 01:52:33 am »

There's no such thing as a problem we "have no interest in fixing."  In the case of OGG tagging we weren't aware there was any problem.

If you find a problem, let us know in the build thread.  If we can reproduce it we'll fix it soon.  Otherwise we'll ask for some more help.

When things are hectic or a bug is obscure it may take a few builds. (and postings of the report)  Please try to bare with us in those cases.

Thanks.

Matt, I don't doubt your sincerity, but I find it amazing that you weren't aware of this problem. There have been whole threads devoted to it in recent months. As I said, it's not a build-specific problem. It's always been there. Those of us who posted about it earlier didn't manage to get your attention, so now that we have it, let me suggest you try updating tags in a dozen or so OGG files at once. Even changing just the rating takes several minutes.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 02:39:07 am »

Why would you buy a product based on what you believe it WILL be, rather than what it IS? That, to me, is just foolish. If the application that you're evaluating is worth $40 to you, as it is RIGHT NOW, then buy it. If not, then don't, and wait and see if it ever does become worth it to you.

I think this was possibly directed at me ?? If so I will explain why... I like and support copmpanies that develop thier product... I support companies that have a vision of what they want and are working to achieve that vision.... I support companies that realize that there is always room for improvements...  

So whether that is foolish to you or not that is how I choose which products to promote and support (and on the topic of promotion you could consider how many MC9 licences I have sold by reccomendation and refferal on external forums... These are not people already on interact but people totally unaware of MC... 10's definately... 100's possibly but I doubt it).. As such a vocal supporter and reccomender of J Rivers products I think its fair to say how you feel genuinely and honestly..

I think MC9 has developed well and is now very different and worth while from v8... I have no idea what route or design v10 is taking and when they have the kinks worked out of the beta program and I can run the beta I no doubt will to see how I feel but honestly I feel $40 on an almost annual basis is too much for me for an audio app and I will probably be less vocal in support and wait and decide about my upgrade depending on as you say, what features the app ends up performing.  Hell my XP licenses end up costing me less on an annualized basis than MC will..

Thats not whining... Thats not pitching for a free licence (despite getting a v8 when buying a v9) and thats not just holding forth (though if J River ever adopted a referal bonus scheme (say 10 licences sold gets you a free upgrade, I would be all over that ;) )... Its honest feedback from a long time MC supporter.
HTPC Front ends  

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2003, 04:06:30 am »

As I look at it.  9.1 has some things that I'd like to be improved and/or have it be fixed and locked down.  For Hairstyle, responses about improving it seem to have always pointed toward a future version.  I was traveling and wasn't reading the list for a while, then suddenly read that v10 beta was available.  My first kneejerk reaction was, "Hey, didn't 9.X just come out!"  But then I thought about it for a while and realized that I've been using 9.1 as a beta from the start.  9.1 was made stable quite a few months after the initial beta's came out.  Sure you could look at as JRiver just announcing this out of the blue.  

However, every time upgrade policies to v10 have been talked about, the response has always been that everyone will have to pay something to upgrade.  I personally am happy that they are telling me now that the beta program has started and that if I'm willing to buy the upgrade now (and hopefully help with beta feedback), I can get a discount on the license.  Sure there are people who may have just bought v9.  But that would happen no matter what.  

I guess that  I see the move to v10 as a step toward a better product.  It gives them more flexibility to try out new things.  This may/will result in breaking things before they get better... but in the end, I'm confident that I will be happier with v10 than I am with 9.1.  Just as I've been happier with 9.0 over mj8.

I say, use the initial beta's... decide whether you want to participate in the beta period.  If you do, figure out what would make v10 better for you.  Do a bunch of thinking and then explain (with pictures if needed) and have a better chance of having a product that you want.

kiwi

jleerigby

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2003, 04:54:16 am »

I agree 100% with Doof and King on this.

9.1 IS finished and is available to the public on the downloads page.  Like any product on the market there are unresolved bugs but, UNLIKE most products on the market, JRiver have a very effective and responsive development team that will continue to support users who report bugs in 9.1.  MC 9.1 is the official released product. Evaluate it and buy it or don't buy it.  If you'd prefer Winamp then use Winamp.

Whilst 9.1 is finished (aside from support of bug fixes) do you expect JRiver to sit on their arses and watch the world go by?  No! They, like any other company are working on the future, the next major step in the development cycle of MC.   Unlike other companies though, J River invite anyone to take an active part in this development if they wish to.  Regrettably some people have seen this as a negative thing rather than a positive one.  

Had JRiver kept quiet about v10 development and only invited a select few to provide their input there would not be any threads like this or the other threads I've seen the last few days.  People would be ignorant but happy.  

I'm salute JRiver for having the courage to take a different approach and for allowing people to openly express their opinions.

zevele10

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 05:41:50 am »

I love cheese. Especially the kind that smells like people's feet.

-=-=- Good taste my friend

But i do not like people with feet smelling like a cheese that smells like people's feet.

Concerning all the melted cheese -- this Interact MC10 on his way and so on- i already feel VERY feed up by the posts concerning it

In the frame of my limited use of MC9, i would say it works quitte well.
But i understand that it is not the general feeling , the most fonctions you use , the most you may find out about problem.

I cannot say i love MC9-- I hate all the non music stuff on my way, making my life miserable.

Now , after trying almost all the players on earth , NONE is able to deal with my hudge number of files...SO.....

Beside it , i do not know of a burning software as good as MC9
Beside it i do not know of a Recorder as good as MC9
Beside this , to know which albums do not have yet the art sleeve is priceless to me.

Because of it i use MC9 , even if i do not love it , and many times hate it.

I WOULD NOT try any MC10 beta.
 I learned the hard way with MC9  beta that i'am to much an 'very average mister average' to start again the process
I do not mind to give $10 to JRiver , even if i do not use MC10.
The only thing who would make me to update to MC10 is more burning features and a way to have music only stuff visible, and NOT all the other stuff.

I do understand both sizes.
The users who are somewhere upset - and they are right to be-
The JRiver gang- and they are as much right in the way they go-

I'am sure than big problems like OGG tags will be fix, in MC9- MC9 project close or not.
This people ARE HONEST and will fix it.

Beside it ,it would be very nice to have a MC10 forum started with all problems , tears and curses.
Like it , people going to MC9 forum would not have to go through the screaming/praising/next big catastrophe MC10 related subjects

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2003, 09:39:18 am »

I think this was possibly directed at me ?? If so I will explain why... I like and support copmpanies that develop thier product... I support companies that have a vision of what they want and are working to achieve that vision.... I support companies that realize that there is always room for improvements...  

That wasn't directed to anybody in particular. There's just this general trend I've seen where people rush in an buy MC based on what they believe it will be on some future date. And then they're disappointed when all of their expectations aren't met, they feel ripped off, and then get really pissed off when development on that version stops and JRiver moves on. There's no other product in the world where people do this, that I can think of. Do people look at the blueprints of a new model car, take the prototype for a testdrive, imagine what the real thing will be like, and buy it? No. They buy the finished product, based on what they see in the showroom floor. The beta threads are NOT the showroom. They are the factory. If you're (generic you) uncomfortable buying something based on an incomplete picture, and will feel disappointed if your expectations for the final product aren't met, then you should probably wait until it's released, and then evaluate it from there.

You sound more like me. I buy MC because I like its evolutionary nature. I like how tomorrow, there may be some new feature to play with. But you and I full understand that there's a price to pay that come with that. All of the features may not work as expected right away, and may never work as we'd like. But we buy it anyway.

For everybody feeling like they've been ripped off because of MC10's sudden appearance... Look at when MJ8 was released. Not the betas, but the actual release. Then look at MC9's actual release date. Then 9.1. I wish I had an actual date for this, and I swear I'm going to write this information down so that when this debate comes up for v11, I'll have it. But if you do know it... how much time had passed between 8's release and 9's? That's the real question. 10 isn't being released. If history shows us anything, it probably won't see a release for at least 8-10 months. Maybe even more. 9.1 isn't being replaced today, or tomorrow, or even 3 months from now. It will have a lifecycle that's comparable to every other piece of software out there.

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2003, 09:55:31 am »

I would just like to say that I totally agree with the sentiments expressed by Doof and JLee.

JRiver: Please don't be discouraged by some of the recent posts and keep making this great program even better.  I for one am extremely satisfied with what I have got for the ridiculously low cost of my original V7 and V9 licences and will be quite happy to pay for v10.  If I don't like how V10 eventually develops I will be happy to stick with V9.1 which as you have said will continue to have bugs fixed.

David, Tonbridge, Kent, UK
(One of what appears to be the growing UK JRiver Appreciation Society)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2003, 09:57:41 am »

There's no other product in the world where people do this, that I can think of.

Do you mean MC or do you mean generically SW... Because if you mean MC I can count 10's of applications that are steered by thier user group and forum.. Many of them freeware also... If you mean generically SW then yes I agree that connection between producer and consumer is one of the exciting and interesting things that has been ushered in by the internet... Great aint it :)

will feel disappointed if your expectations for the final product aren't met, then you should probably wait until it's released, and then evaluate it from there.

Fair enough comment but anyone that uses HairStyle or multi zone will tell you it feels like a work in progress.  Users buying into MC9 now with those advertized features are not unreasonable to expect that these items would be polished in this version.  Part of the issue here is users buy into a developing product, they see the community and forgive current shortcomings (really look at the freeware xLobby and MyHTPC v HairStyle) as they believe they will be fixed as the program develops.  After all we are at v9.1 not v9.8...

I feel pretty much like the 9.1 upgrade was the first point where MC9 clearly differentiated itself above MJ8.. That point release was the first point you could say that it was clearly head and shoulders above MJ8 and a major version change, MC9 early releases were really like the beta / idea stage of v9.  

Just curious on the timeline also.. When did MC9 go gold ?? May June 2002 ??
HTPC Front ends  

wickesy

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2003, 11:14:12 am »

Just curious on the timeline also.. When did MC9 go gold ?? May June 2002 ??

My receipt for my v9 license is 27 October 2002 and I think I got it more or less as soon as they went on sale but I could be wrong.  Not sure when the actual release date was.

I got my v7 license in Dec 2001.

I guess it's time I cleared out my Registration Codes e-mail folder  ;D

wickesy

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2003, 12:23:22 pm »

The first build of 9.0 I can find not marked as beta was here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12896 on 7 April 2003.

First release version was here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=12269 on May 5 2003.

9.1 beta started life here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=11625 on 6 June 2003

First non-beta build was here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9522 on 8 October 2003

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2003, 12:36:36 pm »

For everybody feeling like they've been ripped off because of MC10's sudden appearance... Look at when MJ8 was released. Not the betas, but the actual release. Then look at MC9's actual release date. Then 9.1. I wish I had an actual date for this, and I swear I'm going to write this information down so that when this debate comes up for v11, I'll have it. But if you do know it... how much time had passed between 8's release and 9's?
Most of the releases were accompanied by press releases.  They can be found here:

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/press.html

wickesy

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2003, 12:39:49 pm »

For everybody feeling like they've been ripped off because of MC10's sudden appearance... Look at when MJ8 was released. Not the betas, but the actual release. Then look at MC9's actual release date. Then 9.1. I wish I had an actual date for this, and I swear I'm going to write this information down so that when this debate comes up for v11, I'll have it. But if you do know it... how much time had passed between 8's release and 9's?
Most of the releases were accompanied by press releases.  They can be found here:

Guess I did it the hard way huh?  :-\  :D

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2003, 02:58:17 pm »

This doesn't change the fact that you showed some improvements briefly in 9.1 before "removing" them and releasing a beta 10 with the improvements. I'll admit I assume it was a brief lapse in reason on your part before quickly realizing that a new beta may have been a better opportunity, but the question is opportunity for what?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2003, 03:31:38 pm »

I've always wondered... when you send out a press release... who do you send it to? I always hear that phrase used, "we're putting out a press release", but I have absolutely no idea about how one goes about doing that...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2003, 03:42:23 pm »

We send to a list we have (journalists and industry contacts) and to bizwire or prnewswire.

Most press releases don't get read.  It takes something sensational to penetrate the fog.  Got any ideas?

a2hoo

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2003, 04:09:28 pm »

The fact that JRiver removed features from 9.1 and put them into 10 should be no surprise,

A walk down memory lane

"It can also play from a TV tuner card; play DVDs"
-CNET's review of Media Jukebox 8.0

However, when Media Center prepared the release of 9.0, they removed TV and DVD functionality from Media Jukebox, even after they were advertised as key features in 8.0.  Thus, people who used Media Jukebox for TV and wanted a bugfree version had to buy 9 if they weren't entitled to a free upgrade

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2003, 04:10:09 pm »

Most press releases don't get read.  It takes something sensational to penetrate the fog.  Got any ideas?

Find out the people that deal with press releases and may be able to write about you, make personal contact with them, go there and show your product on a notebook. It is far more impressive than reading a press release.

One good source are local newspapers or radio stations in small towns. Usually they don't have enough local news to publish or air and are happy to get something unusual on their papers. It's kind of a bone work (as we say here), but very often very prolific. Most people want to hear first and then see and they usually don't object if you come by to show them something really innovative.

A lot of people nowadays spend a lot of time digesting masses of information and are happy if somebody comes along to have a chat with.

Years ago I used to give yoga classes and that was the way to fill the classes. OK, Switzerland is not the size of the US, but you may adapt the idea.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2003, 04:14:38 pm »

This is truly great -- vastly different opinions being freely posted and discussed -- all without profanity and insults.  Now THAT is vastly different than on any other board that I've seen.

And Zevele, you're right about one thing and wrong about another -- People's feet that smell like cheese is not nearly so good as the other way around. But to refer to yourself as "very average mister average" is WAY off the mark.

Version 5 (which I didn't buy) was a fairly simple jukebox that worked OK -- nothing special but the Forum was. That's why I stayed.
Version 6, which I also didn't buy, was a cantankerous piece of garbage ...  with some jewels-in-the-rough scattered throughout. They NEVER DID get the problems with burning straight.

Then along comes Version 7 and I finally DID buy it ... my very first software purchase and my very first on-line purchase. I fell in with a will beta testing and I believe that I helped them get those pesky CD burning problems straight. Maybe I didn't but I like to THINK that I did. At least when Version 7 was "released", I got my name in the credits as a Beta-tester. It's not my real name but I was still tickled.

Then I downloaded Version 8 ALPHA. It made Version 6 look rock-solid. After a while, Version 8 got really good and then Version 9 comes along. It took a while but IT got pretty good, too and became Media Center instead of Media Jukebox. And now Version 10 (it seems like an alpha to me -- it don't work for me but I have faith) has appeared.

All this incoherent rambling is leading to my points --- finally. At the release of EVERY new version, there have been bitter complaints about the previous version not being finished.
AND.... the thing that holds all of this together is this forum, our participation and JRiver's willingness to listen and respond.

I would venture to say that there has NEVER been a bug-free Media Jukebox or Media Center. Regardless of the actual version number, this is a work-in-progress. There is no definite point that designates the end of one version and the beginning of another other than a decision to give it a different number.

Is it about money? Sure it is.
JimH has attracted some top-notch people to help JRiver along in their BUSINESS and, despite their obvious loyalty, they still have to be paid. I, for one, am still on board and paying my way and am getting a bargain. But that's my choice. You all can make your choice, too and whatever that choice is, all is well.

Whew!

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2003, 04:17:57 pm »

The fact that JRiver removed features from 9.1 and put them into 10 should be no surprise,
You may not recall that the build you refer to was not released to the download page.

If you dabble here, be prepared for a few bumps.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2003, 04:24:39 pm »

All this incoherent rambling is leading to my points --- finally. At the release of EVERY new version, there have been bitter complaints about the previous version not being finished.
How true, how true.
AND.... the thing that holds all of this together is this forum, our participation and JRiver's willingness to listen and respond.
Agreed and thanks.
I would venture to say that there has NEVER been a bug-free Media Jukebox or Media Center.
Programmers say that any non-trivial software has bugs.  It's like a paint job.  If you look closely, you can always find something.  (Or maybe I should have said "survey".)  

I don't mean this as an apology for bugs -- we truly do our best to fix anything non-trivial.  Eventually the benefits aren't worth the risks (a bug fix can break something else).  

And... sometimes a bug isn't ours.  It's in the OS or in a driver.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2003, 04:39:46 pm »

I think one of the negative impressions I had to the MC10 news was whether this was to be a "real" new major version, or if JRiver just felt "it was time" for a new version.  After all, MJ8 to MC9 was apparently a huge change (I'll trust others on this -- I wasn't there).  But then the other day we see MC 9.1.315 suddenly withdrawn and renamed MC 10, and there's a feeling of "are you just doing this to make more money"?  Of course, since they can't tell us what they expect MC10 to finally look like and how far away that is, this question is unanswerable.

As for expectations of free/cheap upgrades, the software world is clearly different from the hardware world, at least the smaller application world (not Windows or Office or...).  So while comparisons between them might give an interesting perspective on what a great deal some software is, they're still apples and oranges.  Many Palm applications, some of which cost a substantial fraction of MC's cost, get free upgrades for life.  The most relevant comparison I can recall recently was that when some major release of Opera was on the near horizon (6.0, I think), they had a promotion of the form "buy a license for the current version, and when the next comes out, you get a free upgrade".

Of course, JRiver doesn't have to pay any attention to their colleagues if they don't want to; they just shouldn't be surprised that others do.

As for my own choice in buying MC9 a couple weeks ago, I thought it was expensive, but it met my needs better than iTunes (which doesn't seem to have much facility for handling large audio collections), and from watching this forum and JRiver's often prompt reactions to user suggestions, it sure looked like I could expect continual improvements over time, maybe even soon.  That helped me rationalize paying $40 now for something that wasn't perfect.  Yes, I knew that 9.1.313 might be all I was going to get (after all, small companies do suddenly disappear).  But that doesn't stop me from feeling cheated that two weeks later that's exactly where I am (unless I feed in more money).

All that said, I'm sticking around to see what happens .  If they offer me a $10 upgrade, I may grit my teeth and pay it, and hope that they don't demand more money for at least another year.

a2hoo

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2003, 04:47:15 pm »

Not to beat a dead horse, but why would CNET review an unfinished program?  DOn't you submit the program to CNET for them to review?  They specifically mention TV and DVD as part of MJ8.  I doubt CNET would join the forum and review a beta version for their website

CNET's review....
http://reviews.cnet.com/Media_Jukebox_8_0/4505-3514_7-20062353-2.html?tag=review

They did give you a great review on 8.x.  The review of 9 was among the worst I've seen on their site.   If you do take their review to heart, you should do what you implied on thie board, "dumb down" media center 10  to appeal to newbies and less to the audiophiles on this forum.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2003, 04:50:46 pm »

Poor horse....

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2003, 05:25:43 pm »

First off, I want to be clear that I'm not complaining about being asked to pay more money. I appreciate the fact that JRiver is a company interested in the bottom line and, as such, charges what they feel is a reasonable fee for their product and one the market will bear (as evidenced by our presence here and the money in their bank accounts).

But it also should be noted that JRiver is a company that pays phenomenal attention to the concerns and comments of their customers and along with that openness comes a responsibility. A responsibility that is being observed in this thread.

I wasn't around for the transition from 8 to 9 or 7 to 8 or any of the other transitions. I'm sure people complained about it then just like we're complaining about it now. The question becomes whether JRiver learned anything from those past experiences to apply to this one.

If the lesson you learned was "People complain and then get over it," that's not a productive lesson and perhaps illustrates a serious flaw in the way you interact with your customers.

I don't think that's really the lesson you learned.

I think you learned "Some people complain and leave, but lots of others stay." And I think that's an equally damaging presumption to make. Yes, some of us may leave over this decision, others will complain but eventually return and some will remain firmly behind JRiver.

I think, though, that the lesson you should have learned before and should certainly learn now is that daily builds build damaging expectations. Now, I know that this is going to be a fairly unpopular stance but I would ask you to think not as daily visitors to this site, but as an occasional visitor who drops in maybe once a month to check on progress.

As an occasional visitor, you drop in every once in a while to see a product continually reshaping itself, tracking down bugs adding panes, moving trees around, changing the GUI. And you think to yourself, "Well, it's not really finished and there's some stuff that doesn't work so great, but they're constantly changing it so we'll get there sooner or later."

And this brings us to our second problem. There are too many poorly executed features in MC 9. Hairstyle never should have been in MC 9 if you weren't planning on finishing it in this version of the software. If TV viewing and recording doesn't work 95% of the time (I have no idea if it does or doesn't, I just needed another example of something) and you're not planning on having all the kinks ironed out, don't include it. Don't make sweeping changes to your GUI (whether you can work the bugs out or not) without transitioning to a new software version.

Software needs to have every choice made before it ever winds up in the hands of the consumer so that incremental releases are bug fixes, not adding new features, not changing the GUI, just bug fixes.

To that end, I think JRiver needs to reshape customer expectations by sealing beta testing with the occasional preview build if you feel like you need customer input on feature sets or GUI design. Have the details nailed before you release MC 10 and don't release a 10.1. Having to release a 10.1 means that there's something you didn't put in 10 the first time around. If it's so neat, get it in there the first time. If it isn't worth waiting for, ship it in MC 11.

JRiver is preparing to move onto a fairly large national stage (just a guess, but a fairly safe one I presume given the "big news" and the proliferation of online music stores). I urge you to consider the events occuring here and possibly learn something new from them.

skills

ps - Seriously, congratulations on a fantastic product, your workmanship and attention to your customers is something that every person at JRiver should be very, very proud of.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2003, 07:53:00 pm »

This is about as interesting  a thread as we get.  After the last reply, I wrote  Adam a stern message, saying "I'm here.  I'm listening.  It's Saturday." and some other stuff I'm not as proud of.  Then I locked the thread.

To his very great credit, he wrote me a private message that put things right.  Thank you, Adam.

Sound of a key turning in a rusty lock....unlocking the thread again.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2003, 08:21:36 pm »

'Let My Love Open The Door' Charted At 09 In 1980

Listening to: 'Let My Love Open The Door' from 'The Best Of Pete Townsend' by 'Pete Townsend' on Media Center 11
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2003, 08:22:53 pm »

See? Even CEOs of huge multinational corporations can get snippy. Then they get over it. Kind of like real people.
Ouch! I bit my tongue!

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2003, 09:14:36 pm »

Thats right... I probably got too much of a grump on as well...

It is / was a shock to hear that 10 is now the focus so soon after 9 went gold (I still say thats one hell of a short product life cycle) but not buying v10 would be cutting off my nose to spite my face...

One thing I would ask... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make some way were a registered user can follow the development while it is in beta a bit better than one 30 day window..

I dont see why betas cant be a 14 day time lock at any install and point releases 30 days... So what if lots of betas come out... Is not the point of beta SW to assist the dev team in finding bugs and working on the product.  So if I dont have a license I get 14 days (hell make it 7) and bam the program is gone that seems enough push that if the feature set is appealing you register... If it has not yet convinced you, you can live with the major hassle of a 15 Mb download one a week or fortnight and see when and if it does fit your needs.

That solution would give J River the opportunity to let people see the app at its developing stages, still control 'free' use, encourage those following betas to upgrade regularly and do nothing to jeperdize the sale of licences on 'gold' versions.  

Color me dumb but I really dont see how that kind of a setup is unfair to the biz plan and J River ?? Its giving nothing away other than the ability to evaluate the 'current' performance of the application (one of the continual comments is that MC is constantly evolving so one 'look' at MC 10 in its early gestation is not enough) and its probably only your board regulars that would live with 7 day limits anyway... Encouraging people to keep putting betas through the wringer... Is that not the idea ??  

Just my 5 baht  ;)
HTPC Front ends  

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2003, 10:10:57 pm »

I'm glad to see the thread has been unlocked.  Thanks Jim.

I plunked down my 40 bucks at the end of October.  Version 9.1 was released earlier in the month.  Previously, I had used MJ8, but when I needed DSP features, I made the decision to go for MC9.1 after checking it out for a week or so.

Before the purchase, I asked about my rights to future upgrades, and the answer was -- can't really tell you for certain.  I purchased anyway because I liked the product and it seemed that JRiver has been fair to registered users in the past.  I have confidence this will continue in the future. My first reaction to a MC10 was not very positive having just purchased, but I think it will work out fine in the end.

I agree with some of the comments that criticize that MC is not a finished product, but I also realize that probably no software is bug free.  I place MC somewhere between Shareware and Commerical Software.

The forums are both a blessing and a curse.  Most of the time they are a blessing, but if your problem is not being addressed or you want to have a conversation they are a curse.  I know that live help is very costly, but the software isn't free either.

There has been a healthy discussion here with lots of valuable feedback that should make MC a better product -- that is what we all want and hopefully what we will see in the future.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up