INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 10: Turning the tables  (Read 33944 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:Version 10: Turning the tables
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2003, 06:54:57 pm »

1) Hairstyle improvements. Either fix it or kill it. If you kill it, do the appropriate development work to make MC work seamlessly with myHTPC ie. if the MC installer finds myHTPC then set up to work with it. If you decide to fix it, make it quicker and easier to use with a remote. Re: quicker, make the thumbnails faster - currently unusable on a 2.6GHz Celeron. Re: easier, assign numeric shortcuts to every menu item - kind of like the menus on pay-per-view TV in a hotel. That way you can use the number keys on the remote for something. Oh, make sure there is an easy way to always see the currently playing song in Hairstyle. (Oh, and change the name :-) )

2) Smartlist editing. Like iTunes.

3) Visualizations. Like WinAMP (or at least the Geiss, Milkdrop, G-Force and Whitecap vis).

4) Action window to detach as window again - I need it to be able to look at long file path/names in their entirety.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2003, 11:22:12 pm »

So for me rather than asking for specifics, I'd like to talk about "architectural" things.

The extensibility of the database fields etc. is very good - this HAS to be kept. However what I suspect as the "flat" nature of the DB is causing some issues - the "Artist", "Album Artist", "Artist (Auto)" split is one example of this. The other is the handling of sorting, presentation etc. of names with "The ..." in them.

To solve this latter set of issues, I'd ideally like to see that a field (well at least a naming field) can have a "sorting" field related to the main one, so that "The Beatles" is only sorted on "Beatles, The" etc. however allowing me to use different prefixes for certain songs - so that a French song title can start with "Le..." instead of "The ...".  Having auto generation rules for this is fine, however it does need to be capable of being overidden in specific cases, to be able to apply different rules for specific names. So I'd also like to be able to sort "Bob Dylan" as "Dylan, Bob" but not touch "Pink Floyd" for instance.

Another area completely, is that I'd like to be able to specify certain file types for management though the database even if there is no input plugin to handle them, (perhaps with generic external tags as used sometimes with some media file types) such that an external program could be lauched to "play" files. This would at least give the advantages of the file management offered, to certain files other than those immediately supported.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2003, 11:41:32 pm »

I would like to see, in no particular order...
  • An improved/useable web media interface.  One that allows for customized lists, user comments and ratings, bug/offline reporting, etc
  • Improved and renamed Hairstyle. Should inculde the ability to add custom buttons that will allow me to have a series of shortcuts i.e. Movie list, artist or album view from anywhere, etc.
  • A way to list DVD titles I have backed up on my server.  Having each of the titles have it's own properties dialogue/database/list/area/whatever you wanna call it, which would include a 'launch file' or 'shortcut to' that I can point to the .ifo file to launch the movie.  I have them 'backed up' to just start at the studio logo/movie beginning and I only rip one soundtrack (DTS if available), so I have no choices to make, just immediate movie gratification ;D  This would also allow for all of the movie database fileds (director, actors, synopsis, etc) ALA Musiclobby/DVDlobby
  • A better way to control what filters/codecs are used in MC for DVD playback
  • A way to synchronize/lock multi zones into one zone; or lock 2 or 3 zones together, even seperate from another 1 or 2 or 3 zones, which may or may not also be linked to themselves (does that make any sense)
  • Maybe a way to show/navigate to groups of abums or artists by first letter (you see this in many internet lists)
  • Customizable/saveable column views
  • Definately want the ability to keep libraries/databases snychronized.  I can't think of any other non-PITA ways to keep my server backed up/updated/stored in a fire-proof safe.
  • A better way of cueing up CD's DVD's to be burned would be nice (NERO is a good example)
  • Better visualizations, specifically 3D ones.  And the ability to make one the screen saver in x minutes would be cool.
  • A way to add multiple values/descriptors/types to pictures.  I would like to make one picture have many values i.e. outdoor, car, camping, pet might describe one picture and outdoor, birthday, family might describe another, while blonde, young, car might describe another (does this make sense)
  • Saving a slide show would be very cool also, especially it you can figure a way to have the picture change match the rythm (in a somewhat controlled way -every 5th beat/spike/seconds?) ?
  • A way to change/replace the tree structure.  Maybe with an optional  button view? Maybe like 'hairstyle' interface?  i just don't use many of the selections, and the ones I do (playlists and media library) have to be expanded 2 to 4 times before you can make a selection.   Please let me customize this.
  • More control of the equalization/DSP controls in Media Editor.  You cannot adjust equalization in Editor while a track is playing back!  This makes it quite difficult to hear your changes.  And once you do get equalization just the way you like it, you have to select the entire song/project and re-set the equalization, since it does not retain the last setting, this is very frustrating!
I know I was told to only list a few (sorry) and many of these have already been listed, but I just wanted to give you everything I could think of. I figure the more requests you get for any one feature (IMPROVE HAIRSTYLE) the more likely it is to get implemented first/early.

I really want MC to be the only program I need on my HTPC.  It seems to be getting closer to a reality.

I don't know how feesible it would be (expecially consideing the flack you might get for it from some people) but, maybe it's time to convert to a 'modular' program.  Some people would like to use it for DVD playback, others don't, some want a hairstyle interface, some don't, some use it for pictures/videos, others don't.  Maybe if I could buy MC for $25, and add the DVD module/codecs/filters for $20, and the picture viewer/editor for $15, but I don't feel I need the 'hairstyle' module for $20, then I don't have to buy that one.  Maybe the server side costs $30, and each client costs another $10?

Keep up the good work!
pretend this is something funny

NoCodeUK

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2003, 03:48:23 am »

I just thought of another one.  This was mentioned in the past and we were told it would become a v10 feature so count this as a reminder ;D  When using the action window to burn a CD it would be nice to be able to see the tracks sent to the AW in the AW like you can in the playing now view.  Once all tracks have been added then you click the continue button set the options and burn the CD.  I believe this would make MC possibly the simplest, most easy to use CD Burner then...Add to this the ability to create stand alone VCD/DVD slideshows which will play on a DVD player and it would be awesome...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2003, 06:17:07 am »

hi,

My list of request for v10

a) True client server so that I can rate my library from my client.

b) Better CD burning- MC to split into different CDs if songs cannot fit into one audio CD.

c) The analyse device function is very long.  Hope that it can be faster

d) Faster way to enter album titles when it cannot be found.  MC able to take a list of titles out of the web instead of entering each entry 1 by 1 through cut and paste

e) Fix the forum backspace.  It is annoying.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2003, 06:56:39 am »

e) Fix the forum backspace.  It is annoying.
Please start a thread.  This may be your browser.  Try IE.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2003, 07:24:24 am »

I would like to see:

- Album-based replay gain, together with the option to manually edit the replay gain value where appropriate;

- Dynamic playlist support for the iPod;

- The return of the legendary COW SKIN.  :D

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2003, 09:28:14 am »

The things I would like to see most in version 10:

1. Ripping multiple tracks (or whole CD) as one file.
2. The ability to disable/customize the action window.
3. Better support for third party audio plugins.

That's all I can think of for now.  ;) I'm sure I'll come up with more. Thanks for asking Matt!!!!

Evander

• Recent member
  • nothing else to say...
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2003, 09:41:07 am »

- I'd like to assign an image to any kind of file in my library, example: tv channels
- A special kind of plugin for hair style mode (or even an interface plug in)
- MC 10 could permit the addition or remotion of modules. I use MC to play my songs only, so, I'd need only this module. The program would be smaller and faster.

Evander - Brazil.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2003, 09:49:42 am »

- Hairstyle more userfriendly (less steps to achieve something, like choosing subtitles for DVD)

- Copy CD as one track

- Dynamic crossfade (without stopping/starting track)

- Pre-listen function of tracks via second sound card (easier than Zones)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2003, 10:53:15 am »

This may be a step beyond the scope of MC but something like the capabilities of the Microsoft Photostory would be a cool enhancement of the slideshows in MC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/Photo.asp#photoseries

Good editorial describing using the product:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1404041,00.asp

I don't think that MC should seriously try to recreate this app with all of it's syncrhonization with the music etc.

But maybe the ability to specify how to pan and zoom a slide would be a nice feature.  Also the ability to vary the lengths for each slide to be displayed, or specify by slide, would be nice.

I really am only thinking of a few more options beyond choosing the available transitions.  Anything more than that would be outside the scope of MC.  But slide shows are one of the hidden gems of MC.

pbreet

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2003, 01:29:01 pm »

Thanks for asking Matt.

1.  Album Replay Gain
2.  Virtual Albums - the ability to have a single track appear in more than one album.  The tags can only be for one file, so the virtual use of the tracks would have to be tagged totally in the db, like wav files are today.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2003, 02:14:07 pm »

Thanks for asking Matt!

My few cents (in general order of importance to me):

1.  View Schemes - Some way to save the "Showing Columns", column order, sorting, filters, and all of those settings to a specific name and then easily recall them to apply to other lists and tree-views.  Also, I would prefer that these "settings" be stored inside the media library they apply to rather than the system registry, so that all clients/computers that access the Media Library in question see the same views (I'm pretty sure something like this is planned, but it causes me more aggrivation ...)

2.  Relating to above, ability to set my own "default view" which all newly created playlists, smartlists, and regular tree views show up in automatically UNLESS I specify otherwise (by setting it manually or picking another view).

3.  The ability to copy/paste or duplicate Smartlists, including the appropriate "view" information from above.  I often make a number of Smartlists that are almost exactly identical, but differ in one small respect.  It would be sweet to simply be able to duplicate and then edit the differences, rather than start from scratch.

4.  Kind of an anti-suggestion ... Don't mess with my tree-view.  I LOVE the easy way this works in MC.  I just hide the iTunes-style mess at the top and use the "populate tree" option.  Love it!

5.  I think going to the "Now Playing" in the tree view is counter-intuitive.  I hate to say it, but I think a separate window (ala-RealOne separated) would be better (that way I can quickly and easily switch from what is playing, to the "browser" to tweak the list drag-drop style, and then back again) using the windows task bar.  I realize that you can run the player/video window in "windowed mode", but the setting for this is counter-intuitive also - and the window is ugly.  I would prefer to see a sort of Mini-Me mode that is always open (which is the "player component") along with the Mega-Me mode (that acts like the browser component).

6.  If above is too radical of a code change, simply put a bigger icon at the top somewhere that says "Now Playing" really obviously.  I know there is an icon down under the tree-view, but it isn't super obvious to the un-initiated.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sertua

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2003, 03:52:22 pm »

• multidrive-support for ripping (parallel), asynchronious encoding (background-processing)
3) Enhanced radio support.

This would make me extremely happy.

red90

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2003, 04:00:41 pm »

Allow regular users access for at least playing music.  I know it has been discussed before.  I think you guys need a few teen age kids on your computers.  You'd soon realize that Power User privileges are not a ggod thing.

Yes, I've read the workarounds.  If you want this program to be popular with the "masses" you need to allow for User access like every other software program is doing.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2003, 04:45:33 pm »

For each view scheme the possibility to define which fields I want to display in this scheme and the sorting order and then propagate them to

- column view
- tag info

so that I have to deal inside a particular scheme only with those fields I want to use there.

We would also need to fiddle around less time to set column views according to our taste.

Example:

If I have a view scheme artworks I only want to deal there with a very limited subset of fields such as artist, name, period, year, gallery, country, paintstyle.

I want to deal with only those field in column view and also in tag info. No need to see all other fields for this particular scheme.

LisaRCT

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2003, 05:50:35 pm »

A 'Presentation Module'
which can be included with a Slide Show onto a CD-R disc
so that it can be watched on a machine which does not have MC installed (like Powerpoint will do).

nila

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2003, 05:45:13 am »

For me just off the top of my head:

• Improved and updated SDK which is up to date and current with the latest versions of MC and gives us more power.
  • Location bar per view with customisable controls per view scheme and more 'tools' we can display on the location bar.
  • Ability to define some sort of groups of fields etc - for tagging and columns etc - the list is getting out of control.
  • Ability to customise hairstyle as demonstrated in myHTPC and to integrate shortcuts for MC to call other programs in hairstyle.
  • More control over the tagging and when the tags are saved etc. so I can do a LOAD of tagging - then just click 'save all changes' type thing and have MC plod away for ages saving all the tag changes.
  • A view which is a combination of details and album thumbnail so we can have thumbnails AND information - dont forget this would have to be for other media types except audio though and so purely album thumbnails with track names really wouldn't work for anything except audio - it'd be no help for my images.
  • Grouping sorted for types other than text so I can group for date, size etc.
  • Option for the panes of sort mode - ASC, DESC
  • Ability to resize panes widths.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2003, 07:56:57 am »

Living with a non-technical family, I would like a Media Centre client to be able to run in protected mode with only access to a Hairstyle view – like a password protected party mode.  That way the other users won’t foul up the installation.

The web interface is little talked about.  It provides a simple control for a WiFi hand held that is far better than an IR remote.  So, some enhancements to the web interface that  will allow optimisation for a WiFi PDA.

A central database with primary user, secondary & read-only access.

And lastly, but not least, MC nreally needs to be the only application.  We shouldn’t have to use Girder, or any third party app to get the most from MC.

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2003, 09:43:37 am »

How about a 'Convolver filter'? I'm eager to see if Digital Room Correction techniques will improve my system, but I would still like to use MC (rather than Foobar)

Rockinrob

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2003, 10:09:20 am »

I would like to see an over-ride as to how a song starts/stops, and the next song begins.  Currently, I have a 4 sec smooth crossfade.  Most of the time that is great, but on certain songs, the very end gets truncated or overtaken by the incoming song.  

I would love it if I could do an over-ride to the global setting within an individual mp3, maybe inside the tag info.  Options might be: Gapless, Normal, slower/faster fade.  These options need to be on the lead-in and lead-out.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2003, 10:24:45 am »

Media Server support for audible, aac and itunes purchased songs.  The primary reason I purchased Media Center was for the TiVo HMO support.  I simply love the iTunes music store and I love AAC (much better sounding than mp3, and saves a ton of space on my ipod).

Finally dynamic playlists for the ipod.

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2003, 11:05:21 pm »

Greetings and felicitations,
My request is simple.... DSP and DFX for video. A plugin for my Christmas tree lights would be great too.
It seems like a lot of fellow customers have been getting worked up and complaining recently. I just don't get it. This is a software program. I think it's a brilliant one. But it's just a program not a life altering commitment . I think you guys are doing a great job. Your prices are fair and reasonable. I have a version 8 and I don't have a problem paying full price for number 10. I'd like to wish  all you folks at J River a merry Christmas and say that all your hard work is very much appreciated.  and does not go unnoticed.
                            A fully satisfied Customer.
                                 Chris 8)

Lynn

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2003, 11:37:13 pm »

On the fly replay gain.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2003, 02:24:17 am »

I love MC9.1 and it's almost perfect for managing photos as well as music...

We organise photos in a particular way, namely in directories "YYYY-MM-DD, Description". The "Fill properties from filename" allows me to very neatly populate the date and event fields from the directory names. However, I'd like two enhancements in this area:

- Auto import/sync in background (maybe this is already there?)

- Auto populate fields from filename for certain directories / media types. Obviously this would need to be quite configurable to avoid updating the wrong files

- Oh, and one last one - image recognition so MC will categorise photos of people automatically (joking!)

Thanks.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2003, 02:34:30 am »

Understandably people want a roadmap of what's to come before buying or latching onto the beta.  It's not something we can offer yet -- partly because it's not set in stone.

My only question is really what will warrant it being a major version release rather than a simple point release -- you must have some idea. At the moment it looks like 10 is a simple branch of the 9.1 codebase, which make it a little odd to charge people to upgrade for the beta (which is essentially the same as what they've got right now). I may have misunderstood though as I haven't upgraded :D

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2003, 04:53:06 am »

Same music in all rooms (c)

streaming Music towards multiple computers that use the same server library. One solution is to enable URL streaming on the server side, and Web Media access in the client side.

Improve server speed

The client is slow to show thumbnails.(maybe when they are large). They should be cached locally

Better multiple user support

Other people should be able to create playlists, but they should not mess with mine. I.e. improvements in party mode.

Library syncronization: McDiff and McSync (c)
  • I notice that I have a library error, I want to compare the current library with an earlier version and syncronize
  • Multiple users use they own libraries. They all change tags seperately. Or MC crashed in the middle of an update. I want to syncronize my library with the file tags.

Better filter view layout:
- auto resize + manually override
- multiple filters on the same column.
- album covers used as filters. (rather than outputs only).
- move actions bar to the bottom pane, to give more room for filters.

Make my music offline @
Typical senario: You have a laptop, and your music is on a server. Right click on selection, select make available offline. Go to Starbucks. Filter only music that is with you. Most of the functionality is already there:
Required:
1) send offline requests directly to windows
2) filter the music available offline. (it is already detected but not filtered.

Unify Playlists with Tree Grouping
Why can't I create and use them at the same place?

Save My Views (c)
Save your views (i.e. output column) to profiles and move between them.

Tag grouping
I support tag groupping Nila proposes.

nila

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2003, 05:06:14 am »

Make my music offline

Definitely would LOVE this one.
Right now when I clean my library I have no options as to what I want it to not touch and leave - with my films I know they're not online but I want it to not 'tidy' them up - I just want it to do this for my music files.

I'd LOVE to be able to mark files as offline.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2003, 07:08:01 am »

Okay all of the above features should now be compiled in the "Compiled MC 10 Features list".  If you see anything I have missed please let me know.  I have locked the thread so that it doesn't get too messy.

Cheers

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2003, 09:32:39 am »

I agree with most of the listed comments. But one more thing that would make video watching much more friendly would to be able to change the default video play windows. So it doesnt full screen everytime I want to quickly look at a video clip.

for example. I would like to browse to where I have my series, double click on an episode, it pop-up in the foreground, I skip along a bit to see if I have seen it then decide whether I want to look at another episode or watch this one.

At the moment, I double click on the file, it full screens, I click windowed mode, check to see whether I have seen it, (if I have) I  retrieve the minimised media center and start again. Very tedious.

Cheers
Rich

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2003, 01:22:32 pm »

Mine are selfish and simple:

1.  Dynamic playlists for the ipod

2.  Autosynch.  I never understood what the big deal about autosynch was, until I actually used it.

3.   AAC encoder.

Geesh, with these requests, you'd think I own an ipod or something... ;)

wuub

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mes Pingouins Aiment MC
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2003, 05:16:29 pm »

Sorry i just realised i miss this great post !
So here is my little request

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17500

dragyn

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2003, 07:02:47 pm »

Here's a few more I'd like to see:

Hide Action Window completely, like in v9.0

Hide Status Bar. Ability to use a rule in status bar instead of predefined.

Hide Player Window (compact; previously requested already); Player controls in Action Window instead.

Hide Search Bar

Hide Tree on startup if hidden on close.

Album shuffle (keep track order per album).

Move/Copy to keep directory structure. Rename file option when duplicate found. Auto rename all.

Image in Action window shown for video files.

Auto-Create all thumbnails.

Hide tagging mode all together (No New Artist, New Album, etc shown).

Ability to move tree (horizontal) when dragged (left/right).

Lyrics in Action Window.

Selection Box on all columns.

High Quality text in visualizations when not being moved.

Full PNG support.

Dialog Box to select columns.

Background color on current track

Image view on current track in Action Window.

Move/Copy on tree items.

Selective Toolbar Text

More than one playlist in View Filter

Keep a list of deleted files from within library, not to be imported again (Trash Bin).

Importing Dialog Box where you can choose your directories (like NAV) and have it rescan for new files.

Font / Print Preview on Library.

Button to goto playing track (playing now / view scheme).

Automatically hide network shares that are unavailable.

More statistics (Audio, Image, Video)

Windowed mode in toolbar button.

Different aspect ratios (100%, 50%, etc) defineable for videos on a file by file basis.

ctrevith

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2003, 02:13:56 am »

- High end audio decoding capability (DVD-A, SACD, DTS, AC-3, etc.)

- True DVD movie capabilities: Superb picture quality,  and picture control with complete aspect control (like TheaterTek) along with the ability to rip and burn DVD movies.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2003, 02:42:10 am »

Enhanced DJing, with fade controls in a graphic on the main windows, requested since teh early beta stage of version 8, hope it makes it's way into 10 now :D

Thanks
Raist

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2003, 03:20:58 am »

Enhanced DJing, with fade controls in a graphic on the main windows, requested since teh early beta stage of version 8, hope it makes it's way into 10 now :D

I would add "beat-matching" there - it's a little irritating that different house-tunes "fade" into each other with slightly different bpm. It should be madeable, as MC already calculates bpm (I don't know how accurate, but most seem to be right) and so has to know how to "slow" or "speed" the bpm (turn around the algorithm?).

Mirko

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2003, 03:25:32 am »

- True DVD movie capabilities: Superb picture quality,  and picture control with complete aspect control (like TheaterTek) along with the ability to rip and burn DVD movies.

I'd be happy to pay $70 - $80 for enhanced DVD playback - if it included the codecs.

Marty3d

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2003, 09:23:51 am »

Here's some requests for you:

* Being able to use 'last played', 'imported date' and such in view schemes, with grouping. Perhaps even dump the current date handling to use only one format for all and then apply a date view depending on what the date is used for?
* A database redesign so every played count is stored separately with date played. Then you could do lists like "This weeks top hits" or "2003 top hits" etc.

Been missing these since v8!

Marty3d

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2003, 09:28:16 am »

Sorry, just came up with another one:

* Simple, bulletproof party mode. Set a playlist/Scheme and lock down MC with a password. No fuzz, just the playlist, viz,  and play/pause/next/previous buttons.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2003, 09:34:03 am »

I know one feature that I'd love to have.

Being able to treat any driver and/or folder as a "hand held" device, and being able to sync to it.

There are two primary uses for this.  

First, being able to sync my laptop.  I'd like to be able to connect over the network adn sync 2 gig's of music up to listen to.  

The second being backup.  If properly setup, it could easily be used to sync with an separate HD for backup purposes.  

I would imagine that it could be moderately easily implemented by putting some sort of data file in the directory that would contain the file information there-in.

Thanks,
kiwi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2003, 09:45:48 am »

I know one feature that I'd love to have.

Being able to treat any driver and/or folder as a "hand held" device, and being able to sync to it.
This is a very good idea.  It solves both the laptop and the backup problems nicely.  We'll take a look at it.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2003, 10:40:35 am »

Great thread!

My suggestions:

1) I hope this doesn't touch a nerve, but I think the UI could be ~much~ simpler.  I'm a software developer, and have designed many UI's.  But, I still have to go to the doc, or to the forum too often, to find out how to do something.  I think some of the more obscure and "power user" features could be hidden a little more, and I think some of the terms used "such as hairstyle" require insider knowledge of the product.

2) Better documentation.   A lot of the functionality isn't well documented, or documented at all.  At times, the documentation reads like marketing literature instead of a functional walkthrough.  If I'm a user, I've already bought the product, and probably love it.  I don't need the documentation to tell me how nifty a feature is.

3) Rip DVD's?  Don't know if you guys have thought of this, but the ability to rip and play DVD's would be huge!

4) Be able to group on Date (not time) imported.

Thanks for all the hard work, and thanks for listening.  Keep it up!

- Dave

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2003, 10:52:02 am »

Posted by: ctrevith on Today at 02:13:56am

Posted by: gpvillamil on Today at 03:25:32am

I'd be happy to pay $70 - $80 for enhanced DVD playback - if it included the codecs.  

I agree with gpvillamil, I would gladly pay more for quality DVD functionality.  Especially for SACD and DVD-A playback capabilities. :o

I really think many people would not want to pay that much, however.  So that takes us back to the 'Modular Program' format.

• Media Center core program (including audio/database server functionality) $40
  • Image module (including image manipulation tools like resize, rotate, convert format, etc) $20
  • Video module (including advanced DVD capabliities/codec control ala Zoom Player - and hopefully the ability to playback SACD & DVD-A) $40
  • Client module access (for use in other rooms/systems to link/synchronize with the server) $10
  • Total Suite package (with 1 or 2 clients) $90
Buy what you will use, add-on modules as you find the need for them later.

I realize this would be quite a big leap in resource/programmer requirements as you would probably have to seperate into 'teams' to work on the different modules, and test them individually as well as how well they integrate with the other modules, but if you could get this to work, I would think you could increase income quite significantly as well as spread the income out more over the year as different modules might be released at different times of the year.

I'm all for 'One Suite to Rule Them All' but, you might have to create the other 'Suites' individually before you can 'Rule' them.

Sorry, the movie is only a week away, and I think it's taking over all my thoughts. :P

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2003, 01:41:04 pm »

Especially for SACD and DVD-A playback capabilities. :o

I would guess this isn't going to happen any time too soon.  SACD is probably a complete nogo as I don't even know whether computer drives can read them, and DVD-A is well protected (at least by the DMCA).  The recording industry is paranoid that people will start copying and trading that content too.   What amuses me, is that you can easily rip the DVD-V content on the DVD-A drives (well, provided it has it, but many do.)  If one is goign to trade it on the internet, then that will be traded, as it's already nicely compressed (sure at a loss of quality over DVD-A.)  

Right now, there are only two DVD-A PC software players... Creative's and WinDVD.  The latter will only play "protected" content at full resolution through the Audigy2 sound card (from what I have heard, unprotected content can be played on any card at full fidelity).  I imagine that the former will only work with the Audigy2.

It's unfortunate that they music industry is takign this approach, as having anyone with a PC as someone who can play DVD-A Discs would certainly increase their appeal.

That said, I would happily play $100 for full rez DVD-A playback through MC, to any (you guys can pick it) high quality sound card.

kiwi

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2003, 05:52:26 pm »

Yes, Yes, we musstt stop them.  They mussn't get away with this.  It's my precious, mine.  They stole it from me!

Whoops, that just came out.

I meant, darn the RIAA and the DMCA >:(

a2hoo

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2003, 06:18:01 pm »

1.)  Album rating...
In album view, it would list the album's rating by the the mean of the songs (so you can sort by rating, name, artist, or whatever)  (can show this with a drag over the mouse over the album cover or as a column in list view)

In addition, you could make your own rating as a separate value (different from the mean).  An example of this would be Sgt. Pepper... my mena rating for all the songs would be 3.4  but I would supercede that and rate it a 5 as a whole

2)Large album art (like in itunes)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2003, 06:56:05 pm »

Just copied MC9 content from my PC to my new notebook. This is a very tedious work to do:

1) Copy just a part of image and audio files
2) Need to create user defined fields in new library
3) Import image and audio files
4) Need to create same View Schemes as on my PC
5) Need to create Column Views as on my PC
6) Need to set most options the same as on my PC
7) There will probably more things to be done.

Could there not be a tool to duplicate content from one PC to another? Or do I miss something? Is there an easy way to do it?

Tried to find out where View Schemes are located. Didn't find them!

I would like to have the Master content on my PC and just have content copies on my notebook, so a quick way to sync would be nice to have!

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2003, 07:48:14 pm »

Yep, it's simple. I just moved everything to a new PC. Here's what I did:

1) Copy the entire JRiver folder from one PC to another
2) Copy all my media files (image & audio) from one PC to another
3) Reinstall and re-register Media Center (important!!!)
4) Open Media Center
5) Select every item in the library and do a find & replace on the filename path, if it has changed (eg. found "F:\Music" and replaced with "G:\Music")

Everything should be working now - almost everything is kept in the library, though apparently some stuff is kept in the Windows registry?

I did start seeing some very strange behavior with cover art, which I will post on separately.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2003, 12:33:40 am »

Sorry, just came up with another one:

* Simple, bulletproof party mode. Set a playlist/Scheme and lock down MC with a password. No fuzz, just the playlist, viz,  and play/pause/next/previous buttons.

Yes - bulletproof is the most important part of this - I hate drunken people "just checking out this cool software".

Mirko

Daniël van Maanen

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2003, 09:19:55 am »

Make a way to playback to multiple outputs at the same time (without switching between zones). I use MC quite a lot, but sometimes visits of friends grow to a party spontaniously and then I switch to BPM-Studio for playing back the music. This is because it's monitor-function is so great (headphones). I've tried the zones-thing in MC, but I don't like the way of switching between screens.

Maybe it's possible to create a second player somewhere in the window. In options make selectable to which output this player should play. To make the player play a song, drag the song into the player. Or rightclick: "play in monitor."

Thanks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up