INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question and a request  (Read 1907 times)

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
A question and a request
« on: December 11, 2003, 08:28:49 am »

I have a lot of Old Time Radio programs in MP3 format with the dates in the filenames as YYYY-MM-DD.  When I try to use the 'fill properties from filename' feature to feed those dates into the MP3 Tag, it often screws up the date, usually putting it in 1905.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a common problem ?

Also, would it be possible to have the ability to designate where a recorded file will be saved in each task of the Media Scheduler?  I see that you can choose the output file of TV recordings, and I'd love to be able to do this with audio recordings as well.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:A question and a request
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 04:10:59 pm »

What do the file names look like exactly and how is your fill properties scheme configured? Also, are you trying to only put the year in the date field of the tag or are you trying to get the whole mm-dd-yyyy in there?

Rob

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 04:19:42 pm »

The ones which I'm having trouble with always use the same system of the name of the show, a hyphen, broadcast date, hyphen, name of the episode.  For example:

Superman - 1944-05-10 - Superman vs. Somethingorother 03.mp3 or
Nero Wolfe - 1940-01-23 - The Case of the Fat Detective.mp3

I'm not at the computer with my copy of Media Center presently, so I can't give you the exact properties scheme, but my best recollection of it is the following.

[Album] - [Date(year)]-[Date(month)]-[Date(day)] - [Name]

What do the file names look like exactly and how is your fill properties scheme configured? Also, are you trying to only put the year in the date field of the tag or are you trying to get the whole mm-dd-yyyy in there?

Rob

rocketsauce

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 06:39:40 am »

Maybe try using [Date] instead of [Date (year)] in your fill properties scheme.

Rob

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 07:25:00 am »

Try also adding a space between "Date" and "("

Date(year) should be: Date (year)

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 08:11:39 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but trying both did not result in the the proper date being entered into the system.  Since I'm at the proper computer again, I can tell you the schemes I've been using are the following:

[Album] - [Date (year)]-[Date(Month)-[Date (day)] - [Name]
[Album] - [Date (filename friendly)] - [Name]
[Album] - [Date] - [Name]

If it ever works at all, it sets the date as April 30, 1905.  I tried copying the dates into the[Comment] field, then copying that information into the [Date] field, but that resulted in a date of January 2, 1900.  Can anyone explain why these dates appear to be significant ?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 11:15:17 am »

Just a guess, but it might be because you have the year listed first.  It might be expecting the format MM-DD-YYYY for use in the date (filename friendly) or Date filed.  I don't know how hard it would be to change all of those dates, but a test of 2 or 3 might not take too long.

Also, I noticed J River uses the date format of mm/dd/yyyy (with slashes instead of dashes)

Good luck
pretend this is something funny

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 11:23:38 am »

Just a guess, but it might be because you have the year listed first.  It might be expecting the format MM-DD-YYYY for use in the date (filename friendly) or Date filed.  I don't know how hard it would be to change all of those dates, but a test of 2 or 3 might not take too long.

Also, I noticed J River uses the date format of mm/dd/yyyy (with slashes instead of dashes)

Good luck

I've tried spinning the date around before, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  The resulting date changes to a new constant, sometime in January 1900 I believe.

If you manually enter the date in the format I use, year first, Media Centre seems to be able to understand it.  It's just the automation of the process, using the fill properties command, that causes all the problems.

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 02:21:42 pm »

What version of MC are you using? I recall that when 9.1 first came out there were some issues with seemingly arbitrary years getting inserted into the date field. If you're using the new version 10 beta, it could also just be a bug.

Rob

rocketsauce

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 02:41:52 pm »

As a test, I just renamed an mp3 file so that it matched your file naming scheme. It looked like this:

album - 1962-12-23 - trackname.mp3

I imported it into MC and then setup my fill properties scheme like this:

[Album] - [Date (year)]-[Date (month)]-[Date (day)] - [Name]

When I look at the various date fields in tagging properties, they got filled with this data:

Date (year):  1962
Date (month):  December
Date (day):  23
Date (filename friendly):  19621223-000000
Date:  12/23/62

So, fill properties using your filenaming scheme appears to be working correctly here. I tested with MC 10.0.13. Maybe it's just a bug in whatever version you're using.

Rob

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 09:14:50 pm »

Rob,

Thanks for the help.  I got it to work, and I know why mine was messing up.  I was leaving the space out between Date and (Month), and the system wasn't recognizing it as an error condition.  It just wouldn't load the date correctly.  Now, with the space, it works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up