INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9.1 Crashes Every Time I Send to Nomad Jukebox  (Read 1463 times)

bradesp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
9.1 Crashes Every Time I Send to Nomad Jukebox
« on: December 20, 2003, 03:47:24 pm »

I've reinstalled twice now and can't seem to clear up this bug...

I have 9.1 running without problem (after upgrading from v8 which worked fine!) but after installing the Nomad 2 Plug-in I can't send music files to the Nomad with out the system doing a "Media Core" dump...

"Media Core has encountered a problem and needs to close"...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and that hasn't helped.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:9.1 Crashes Every Time I Send to Nomad Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 04:11:51 pm »

Did you try a search here?

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 09:52:34 am »

What version of 9.1 do you have installed?
What version of the Nomad II Plugin?

Can you see the  files on Nomad II displayed in MC without problem?
What version of the drivers for Nomad II do you have?

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 04:10:20 pm »

As I reread this, I notice your Subject refers to Nomad Jukebox and your message mentions getting the Nomad II plugin. What player do you have? If you have a Nomad II, then continue to use the Nomad II plugin (version 9.0.06). If you have a Nomad Jukebox, please get the appropriate plugin (version 9.0.31).

Steve

brittex

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 08:40:18 am »

Here's my experience with synching to the Nomad Zen

I have tried on 3 PC's.  On each I get a Media Core error at random times, but if I split my synch session into chunks (say using the artist groupings as playlists) then it is usually stable enough to complete one chunk.

While the synch is going on I can do NOTHING else on the PC.  What is chewing up resources?  Trying too hard to do something else - like mouseclicking - will almost guarantee a Media Core error.

FYI, during synching I am also converting 320k files into 128k t o save space on the Zen.

The synching process seems to very inefficiently designed - especially when trying to synch large batches:

Files are decoded and converted before MC has decided whether that file should be synched to the handheld.  This makes everyday synching for a couple of songs impossible since the whole library will be decoded and converted.

If a duplicate is found, a dialogue appears asking what to do with duplicates.  I have noticed during sycnhing that MC decodes and converts a small batch of files (10 I think) and synchs those before moving to the next 10.  This is fine, but my response to the duplicates dialogue is only remembered for that batch of 10.

The net result of this is that I have given up on synching just to add a couple of files.  Instead I delete everything from the Zen before resynching to ensure that the process is not held up by the duplicates dialogue.

If there is a better way please let me in on the secret
Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 02:44:24 pm »

I need to rework the conversion part of this and will do so soon. If you are not doing conversions, do you have the Media Core errors?

Steve

brittex

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 09:51:43 am »

Media Core errors crop up from time to time regardless of what I'm doing.  Thismorning I had one after finishing a long synch overnight and trying to view the files on the NOMAD.  Then I had another one when trying to rerun MC.

However, I don't regard the media core error as the most important (in this discussion at least!).  As I said earlier, it usually stays stable long enough to synch as long as I split my library into groups.

My real grip is the way that it synchs.  I have several thousand MP3's to keep synched to the Zen.  But the changes within that library are limited to the addition of a couple of files a week.  I dont understand why MC has to read and encode all 3500 files just to synch the latest 2 onto the handheld.

Ideally, what would happen is that MC would scan the server library and the handheld looking for additions, deletions and changes, baed upon filename, length and possibly ID tags; and then just synch those few files.

At the moment, synching is taking days.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 09:53:11 am »

brittex,

Your criticism is valid. The synching will be reworked soon.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up