INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplified (real simple) interface  (Read 633 times)

CageB

• Recent member
Simplified (real simple) interface
« on: December 26, 2003, 09:02:29 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else out there might have an interest in a simplified interface version of MC (maybe just a limited skin)...  simplified meaning the interface... as usual, the simpler the appearance, usually the more complex the software!

I have recently purchased an MP3 player for my young daughter and I am really struggling with how to get her to be self sufficient.

I do know that most of what I want, I can already do with MC, but, my 9 year old daughter can't.  With that said, here is...

...my wish list:
- uses the MC media server feature (to take advantage of my library of files) and sumultaneously blends in music from a local library (so that I don't have to give her access to update the main library).
- can recognize and sync to an MP3 player of limited size.  This means having features like total replace on a sync or a percentage roll-in/out of new music, with maybe a list of "must haves" and then identify songs for rotation in, with the key being simplicity in identifying these lists.
- should be able to sync on connect and then continuously sync as long as the player is connected.
- should be able to integrate to (or provide) a music purchase site.
- should be able to selectively enable/disable features of the software so that it can be stripped down to a level of functionality appropriate for an age group (9 years old in my daughters case or my elderly mother for that matter!)
- should have the ability to trigger macro processing.  For example, if the program does not have a purchase site, then I would like to allow my daughter to use iTunes (has a great purchase limit function) for purchases, but would like to have those tunes go straight into MC, be converted to an appropriate format for her MP3 player, sound leveled and otherwise prepped for use, and, lastly, be available (and readily apparent) for download to her MP3 player... not a chance I can explain this to her, but, given the appropriate environement, I could script it for her.

Quite a list I know, but after getting my daugter an MP3 player, I began looking for how to outfit her software wise and what I found was MC is a great music management software, but it doesn't support either an integrated purchase option nor the MP3 player that she owns.  MusicMatch is a so, so music management software with an integrated music purchase option, but it does not allow for a purchase allowance and did not eloquently allow for synchronizing with an MP3 player of limited size.  The software that came with the player did a respectible (although surprisingly poor, given the proximity) job of synchronizing, but had no other features.  iTunes was simple, had an integrated purchase site, but does not recognize non-Apple MP3 players (and the Rio player does not do AAC).  I have no problems putting the pieces together to get something it work... there is no way I could get my daughter to do what would be required.

Anyway, I am curious if there are others out there like me... especially if there are enough to form a lucrative market for j.River to solve these problems  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up